Why don't we travel like this anymore?

Why don't we travel like this anymore?

Why don't we have supersonic air travel (e.g. Concorde) anymore?

Why has the record for the fastest plane ever built (SR-71 Blackbird) been unchanged since the 1960s?

Why is the military still using 60+ year old B-52s when we would never have used the Wright flier during the Vietnam war which was also by then 60 years old?

Why do we no longer have reusable space ships (Space Shuttle) anymore?

Why haven't we been on the moon since 1973?

Why haven't any humans left Earth orbit since 1973?

Why is the Saturn V the most powerful rocket ever built when it hasn't been used in 45 years?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=LPjzfGChGlE
youtube.com/watch?v=bOgkGzMdieI
youtube.com/watch?v=q6c_dinY3fM
youtube.com/watch?v=xnqIj8C2Aek
youtube.com/watch?v=VggFao85vTs
youtube.com/watch?v=b5tci36bNjg
youtube.com/watch?v=_gOn9MuFimo
youtu.be/kPdxhLUKZYM?list=PLo0ThsDnveH5nv5TNviBrGTX9P6IrYfIe&t=412
youtube.com/watch?v=tPc899uUb-A
youtube.com/watch?v=jgGP_evkvOk
youtube.com/watch?v=TxpIsep4160
spaceflightnow.com/launch-schedule/
zerohedge.com/news/2016-09-06/how-elon-musk-used-broken-marketplace-play-us-all
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SpaceX_reusable_launch_system_development_program
indeed.com/cmp/Spacex/reviews
youtube.com/watch?v=RK8BjjJAlKs
youtube.com/watch?v=q7pzg9xpAOE
youtube.com/watch?v=yo5w0pm24ic
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

why can't op stop asking all these fucking questions?

they probably have some shit we dont know about I'm sure.

We don't have the Concorde anymore because it was more expensive to use and maintain them than they created profit.

>Why do we no longer have reusable space ships (Space Shuttle) anymore?

The Shuttle was extremely complicated and nothing short of miraculous.

I hope pic answers at least one of your questions.

Also it's about to get much much worse, OP.

NASA is officially going to be scrapped. Absolutely no more federal tax payer dollars wasted on space science and aeronautic research anymore. If anyone wants that to happen, it's up to private companies.

Money

/thread

lol thinking space exists

>Why don't we travel like this anymore?
cost
>Why don't we have supersonic air travel (e.g. Concorde) anymore?
cost
>Why has the record for the fastest plane ever built (SR-71 Blackbird) been unchanged since the 1960s?
because speed doesn't offer protection anymore
>Why is the military still using 60+ year old B-52s when we would never have used the Wright flier during the Vietnam war which was also by then 60 years old?
because it is the perfect aircraft for the job, for other situations we have modern planes
>Why do we no longer have reusable space ships (Space Shuttle) anymore?
because it is not cost efficient (NO SpaceX reusability won't be cost efficient as well)
>Why haven't we been on the moon since 1973?
no reason to
>Why haven't any humans left Earth orbit since 1973?
leave the orbit to go where ?
>Why is the Saturn V the most powerful rocket ever built when it hasn't been used in 45 years?
because we don't need it

Are you my parents? I can't talk about space without them getting angry at me and telling me the sky is just a type of actual physical television screen and what we see is an image.

Less space and luxuries to make airfare more reasonable and accessible to the common person.

Concorde was notoriously loud, expensive, and underused. It would be great in modern society, but takeoff would have to be limited to low-population areas.

Faster=/=better

B-52s are sufficient for their needs. Why fix what isn't broke? Why spend the money and the resources on war equipment when there's no war?

We do. SpaceEx just had a successful landing of an engine that left the atmosphere and returned back to Earth.

Money and why should we? What more would we learn by walking on the moon again? We went there several times, came back, and now there are robots on the moon doing the same thing we did when we were there. Except they don't need food, sleep, socialization, training, oxygen, etc.

Why should we? No really, what reason would we have for leaving orbit other than scientific venture? This shit costs exponential amounts of money, and if you can't guarantee that the men you send up will come back alive, much less come back with anything valuable enough to fund the expedition.

Why do they need to?

Are your parents psychosis?

SpaceX reusability is already cost-efficient.

You can, right now, phone them up and book a cheaper launch on a re-used rocket.

No, SpaceX has not reused any of its rocket engines, and has not demonstrated the overall system's feasibility. Recovery=/=Reuse.

>Why don't we have supersonic air travel (e.g. Concorde) anymore?

Do you not remember how loud those booms were? I wasn't even that close to an airport, maybe ~20 miles and I was so happy when they got rid of those fucking planes so I didn't have to hear that scary explosion every day out of nowhere. For a while I was convinced I was they were the reason I was going to die of a heart attack.

Everyone hated them.

Bullshit, musk had not reused any of those falcon engines, each one has been built for the job at hand. All the recovered engines are in a hanger somewhere because they are not safe for reuse. Musk has not demonstrated his systems feasibility, and is running his space program at a loss.

>Why
The truth about immigration, by the numbers:

>youtube.com/watch?v=LPjzfGChGlE

Cultural Marxist Jews Admit Organizing White Genocide

The plan to eliminate the white race:

>youtube.com/watch?v=bOgkGzMdieI

Cultural Marxism in action… Political Correctness, the tip of the blade:

>youtube.com/watch?v=q6c_dinY3fM

Cultural Marxism & Social Justice Explained:

>youtube.com/watch?v=xnqIj8C2Aek

Why are we in Decline - Cultural Marxism:

>youtube.com/watch?v=VggFao85vTs

also see

The facts about slavery in North America:

>youtube.com/watch?v=b5tci36bNjg

Cultural Marxist Jews fund media propaganda against whites on an enormous scale:

>youtube.com/watch?v=_gOn9MuFimo

Does this sound familiar at all? (starting at 6:52)

>youtu.be/kPdxhLUKZYM?list=PLo0ThsDnveH5nv5TNviBrGTX9P6IrYfIe&t=412

The Holocaust:

>youtube.com/watch?v=tPc899uUb-A

>youtube.com/watch?v=jgGP_evkvOk

>youtube.com/watch?v=TxpIsep4160

Retard, 10% cost reduction for 30% payload reduction.

They haven't even demonstrated that they are able to reuse the booster reliably.

+ their launch costs are not representative since they include their funding.

Love when retards fall for their tweets and pr.

Question to you IF it is the cheapest launch why are there still other LSP'S on the market ?

SpaceX has almost no impact on the market go to bed reddit/futurology.

Their reliability is the lowest on the market they are never on shedule their orbits are off way to often.

Talk to someone who is as dumb as you next time ;)

>Do you not remember how loud those booms were?
neither does the people that lived naer the airport, because the thing did not make any more sound than a standard plane.

>SpaceX reusability is already cost-efficient.

They have never reused a stage retard.

Because TSA.

What does it matter taking off 3 hours from a 6-hour flight, when you still have to get to the airport (which is in the middle of nowhere) two hours (or more!) before it even leaves the ground, and then have to take another hour or more to travel 200 yards to the taxi rank when you get there?

There are no terrorists. The TSA just wastes everyone's time. Trump's looking to cut federal spending, he should sack the lot of them.

Hyper-religious. I'd get in trouble if it rained, because they would pray for a beautiful, warm sun shine-filled day and when it didn't happen it was because I didn't pray hard enough and fucked it up.

They've already sold OIs on re-used stages.

The profit motive represents a regression to the mean

Sold

Doesn't mean they launched it right?

So till this point a claim like verything elon does.

In the end reliability will go down even more.

That's the reduction for giving them their rocket back *to re-use*, not the reduction for taking a re-used rocket.

RTFA.

are you me ?
my parents told me the same thing, but it's not because they're religious, it's because they believe in flat earth and reptilians

Short answer: Money
Long answer: Money + Reliability

No that's exactly the cost reduction the customer gets for using a reused stage.

Do your research moron.

They get paid either way, and you've offered no evidence that it won't work.

You don't have you facts straight. SpaceX has scheduled the first Falcon9 reuse sometime this fall. We will see if he manages to blow this one up as well.

>Why don't we travel like this anymore?

YOU never traveled like this, ever. The cost of an airplane ticket was horrendous back then, and it was only when airlines began packing passengers like sardines that poor people could start flying too.

I can still travel like this because I can at least afford business class where you're treated like a human being and not cargo. And honestly, with power, internet connection, and bed-chairs things are even better.

hory shet

Can't be, because the payload reduction comes from the weight of the landing gear, the fuel required to do the landing, and the constraints of having to launch to somewhere the rocket can then return from.

There's no payload reduction just for launching on used goods; that's retarded.

Burden of proof.

Evidence shows (THE FUCKING SPACE SHUTTLE)
That it is very very very cost intensive to reuse a rocket engine, they either spend a lot of money to make sure it flies reliable again or thei just refly the stage and their failure rate will get worse (they already have the worst reliability on the market).

Oh look how they are taking over the market for commertial launches with their low prices.

spaceflightnow.com/launch-schedule/

Haha SpaceX is a joke just like Elon, educate yourself on what is really important for LSP's it is being on shedule and being reliable SpaceX performs horrible on both of these parameteres.

The launch of a 1st stage that you are trying to reuse has 30% less payload so yeah that makes the F9 to small for about 40% of the GTO payloads.

Elons initial claim was we will reuse a stage 100 times so you have 100 launches with reduced payload capacity and reliability.

They can't even launch their shit without reusing them so it will get even worse.

Gotta love american Elon shills.

Yeah, burden of proof.

You need to demonstrate that their customers, and their customers' underwriters are all retarded, using evidence more compelling than "I'm user-san and I say so with words".

Satellites are expensive, and insurance companies are not stupid.

>There's no payload reduction just for launching on used goods; that's retarded.

If you don't reuse the rocket the whole system is flawd.

Yes that's retarded either 100% performance and you lose the stage or 30% less GTO payload.

What exactly are you disagreeing with?

If you follow the thread up, you'll see the assertion was that the payload reduction is for it being a stage you're trying to recover (not a stage that *has already been* recovered and is currently being re-used), and far from refuting that, you just went and stated it.

Musk has managed to blow up 10% of his payloads now. He will have to factor his failure rate into the costs of launching for insurance purposes. This will only increase costs.

I took Musk a little more serious before he went full Bernie Madoff and started pitching the credulously inefficient hyperloop.

NERDS

No it's not.

Nothing is 100% reusable and the idea that it is or should be is absolutely ridiculous.

Most people consider 747s reusable, yet 100% of the fuel you put in them is reacted with oxygen and dispersed in the atmosphere.

Zuck was retarded for trusting Musk with his satellite. Now he has 200 million bucks he has to write off.

He has always been a fraud and a loser, the only business that was doing fine was paypal he was basically lucky (like many people during the dotcom bubble).

I will never understand how so many people fall for this fraud.

zerohedge.com/news/2016-09-06/how-elon-musk-used-broken-marketplace-play-us-all

>The answer is that the market isn’t the one to decide, despite the fact that SpaceX is apparently a private company. Out of all of SpaceX’s contracts, NASA is documented to contribute to 85% of SpaceX’s revenue. Additionally, the number of direct governmental subsidies (without accounting for tax credits) climb up to about $5.5 billion dollars and is also peppered with $200 million dollars in varying governmental contracts. These estimates do not even account for the money Musk funnels in from SolarCity and Tesla, his two other ineffective companies which receive $4.9 billion dollars in government support by themselves.

Without the help of the government, SpaceX would not have been able to fail as many times as it has. Private investors would not tolerate Musk’s reckless mismanagement, and the company would’ve went belly-up years ago. But, since SpaceX is essentially a built-for-government company, Capitol Hill will continue to allow Musk to waste taxpayer dollars on futile launches and projects.

It's all about the Benjamins.

I work in Aerospace and defense manufacturing.

We can build you anything you want.
Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?

They reused one on their latest launch.

>made so many correct decisions he can afford to write off $200,000,000
>he's the one that's retarded
I'm sure everyone will recognise your hidden genius someday, user.

Musk is finding out that being a business man with rose colored glasses does not trump being a rocket scientist. Who would have thunk it?

It would not be so cringeworthy if Musk didn't think he himself could do better then all of Nasa for the last 60 years, and then all of you idiots believed him! Its Twilight Zone levels of batshit ignorance that leaves the levelheaded among us dazed and speechless.

Sonic booms are loud as fuck. Concord never made money because it could only go supersonic when traveling over water.

No they didn't stop lying.

Oh goody!
You're one of them.

One of the people that rely on facts and trust reality over twitter postings?

Show us the evidence, they have never reused engines nor a first stage.

Sucks to be a retard like you I guess.

Falcon Heavy is 3 years late now.

How are we gonna ignore this fact?

Oh never mind we don't need the heavy we will go even bigger and go to mars in 2 years anyway.

Go to this site: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SpaceX_reusable_launch_system_development_program

Scoll down to the section labeled 'First-stage reuse'

Read

A close friend works for Musk. Friend says he's a genius, but also insane.

"On July 28, the first stage from JCSAT-14 mission was successfully test-fired for a full duration at the SpaceX McGregor facility."

Test-fired / flown.

Retard

That is my point, also =/= does not equal? Is that what you meant. I was replying to the retard who told me they have been reusing vehicles.

Can you provide facts showing it wasn't reused?

Money

Test fired means layed on side, filled with fueled, and fired while clamped to the ground.

>Friend says he's a genius

Name 1 fucking thing he invented, he dropped out of college and not a single of his companies invented anything groundbreaking.

He is a delusional moronic fraud.

indeed.com/cmp/Spacex/reviews

Test fire

We have reached a time where spacetravel and such new technologies are a waste of resources. We should as humanity progress in humanity and give every single human a prosperous life on earth. Donate for Africa please

I know, it is not even close to a real launch.

And btw it doesn't mean layed on the side most rockets stand up while doing a test fire only srb's are layed on the side.

The biggest lie America has told the world is that human beings set foot on the moon, Nasa never answered the tens of questions about things that simply do not add up, congrats to you if you think humans have been on the moon, you have been brain washed. inb4 tinfoil.

Can you provide facts that we don't live inside the eye of a giant?

Burden of proof < google it.

I think someone told me they saw a Tesla on the road once, so that's at least something.

This user gets it

Why hasn't Russia refuted the claims, they never said that America never landed and that the moon landing was faked.

because the US is fucking broke

I would like to see shitloads of probes and great satellites, but putting people up there is largely inefficient.

b-but muh greatest nation on the urth

Some day we will have to leave this planet so no it is not a waste of recources.

We could cut down on military funding.

why does russia need to refute anything? the idiots probably believed it too, the footage was a pretty good fake for the time, it falls apart nowadays even a uneducated eye can see discrepancies.

The same reason why no one makes T sar bombs as a general nuke

and what if russia refutes it its suddenly not true, like russia is the universal holder of truth or something.

You are presenting your opinion as fact.
You need proof to do that.

Otherwise that's just like, your opinion.

>Why has the record for the fastest plane ever built (SR-71 Blackbird) been unchanged since the 1960s
I guarantee you there is a faster one being used that we don't know about

the B52 is being phased out by the B2 stealth bomber

so yes

Don't be a fucking flat-earther moron. There is all sorts of evidence of man being on the moon that can be seen through a telescope. Fucking idiot.

NASA didn't answer questions because they were stupid fucking questions that anyone who's ever picked up a book could answer.

SpaceX is a fucking joke. Elon Musk is a piece of garbage shit.

You think the rival in the space race wouldn't claim that the moon landing was fake if there was the tiniest bit of evidence that it was.

No but it was the rival superpower and had a lot of prestige on the space race. and they basically went "yep we lost they landed on the moon".

Another evidence that proves that humanity landed on the moon is the mirrors that we bounce lasers of to measure various shit.

Why dont you calm down you fucking faggot.

Elon musk is exactly the kind of person to move humanity forward, so get back in ya faggot hole you piece of shit.

Please explain why you think that.

>ou need proof to do that.
No you need to proof that they reused a stage.

You didn't google burden of proof right?

It is the basis for making claims I can't refute a negative.

If they had reused a stage they would have probably published it right?

Just admitt that you were wrong and that you don't understand the basics of logic and we are fine.

You could also kill yourself that would be fine as well.

the money that would have produced new jets, concorde's etc. all went into the CEO's pockets.

NASA has been significantly defunded in the last 15 years by the GOP. Reagan's 'star wars' cost billions, and stopped exploration of the moon.

So what you're saying is your opinion needs no proof, but if anyone disagrees they need proof?

>all my nope.

youtube.com/watch?v=RK8BjjJAlKs

-

youtube.com/watch?v=q7pzg9xpAOE

-

youtube.com/watch?v=yo5w0pm24ic

I mean when BBC airs a documentary about the moon landing being fake and then scientifically literate people scientifically prove that the moon landing was fake there is nothing more to talk about, you are a fucking idiot, you are the one that is a brainwashed sheep, american probbaly, thats the moral problem with such a lie, you spread it enough, enough people spew bullshit being in such a backward state of mind with 0 critical thinking that in the end retards like you swallow it up so fast its unbelievable. Kill yourself, retarded brainwashed zombie. also nobody was talking about flat earth, you piece of shit.

> ;)

Get raped.

yeah because landing a mirror on the moon is something super hard to do without humans needing to place them themselves on the moon, jesus fucking christ your whole life is a lie dude, wake the fuck up

>leave the orbit to go where ?
mars

Stop promoting your homo video rants.

(((They're))) behind it.

This is a nother guy, but hey no he is not moving humanity forward he does nothing but milking government funds.

Progress is done by serious companies not by frauds like Elon.

What about ghost, bigfoot and aliens there are all manner of documentaries and scientist stating that all of those are real. heck there are scientists that claim that you can live on sunlight alone, does that make it true?

Holy shit are you actually insane?

You claimed they reused a stage, but there is no single bit of evidence for your claim.

Why should I believe you ?

Now you shift the burden of proof on me, how pathetic.

what a loser

Exactly what I expected when you have no arguments on your side.

Elon is a pathetic loser and SpaceX has not taken over the market like he claimed.

deal with it ;)

yep, you try and bring things that have nothing to do with the moon landing we were talking about, 10/10 would argue with again. im done with yall, this lie has been spread so much everyone just takes it as it is, we, the humans, lost in this instance, Americas lie was too powerfull this time around. not even gonna try and argue with americans against it because you probably hear shit about the moon landing being legit every day, you are in a too deep of a lie you probably won't even try and see the proof that it is fake, because you it would fuck you in the head when you will realize something you have always believed as true is a lie, but thats america in a nutshell for you.