Sup Forums's Greatest Artist of All Time JAZZ EDITION

The jazz civil war is upon us

JOHN COLTRANE VS MILES DAVIS
strawpoll.me/12699631

first for davis

2nd for coltrane

Coltrane.
His discography is nearly perfect because he never had the chance to make sellout shit like Miles did in the 80s, plus he's on some of Miles' best recordings

COLTRANE
O
L
T
R
A
N
E

Coltrane will win off of the power of your dubs

>Kind of Blue, Bitches Brew, In a Silent Way, Sketches of Spain, Birth of the Cool
>no second quintet albums
plebs

I just looked up their 5 best on BestEverAlbums to jog people's memories. What's one of his second quintet albums? I'll give it a listen.

excuse me where the FUCK is herbie

First round, 38 to 63 against Aphex Twin

when does this poll end?

ESP, Miles Smiles

11 AM EST tomorrow, or just when I get on my computer since I'm going to be sleeping in.

Most of the stuff recorded from '63-'68 is second great quintet with the sax player varying a bit in the earlier days before Wayne Shorter became their stable, long term sax player.
The other core members who were there were Tony Williams, Ron Carter and Herbie Hancock.

I went with Coltrane. His sax playing is like 30% responsible for Kind of Blue's awesomeness and he died too young to use Miles' evolution through the 70s and 80s as an argument against Coltrane.

lol niggers

haha :D
upvoted

Ok so because I think we can all agree that this finale doesn't count for shit, we should do a poll Talking Heads vs Pink Floyd.

Davis Broke more artistic boundaries but Coltrane was more comfy

>all these people thinking Coltrane would have sold out
The guy was big into the free jazz scene. The sellouts all came out of the fusion camp trying to incorporate pop ideas into their music. If anything, Coltrane's playing would have gotten freer, more explorative and his career would have looked a lot like Cecil Taylor's.

Miles, all the way

Haha kys. Talking Heads vs. Pink Floyd would be an uber disappointing final

Normally people would say the opposite on account of how lyrical Miles often was and how intense and/or batshit insane a lot of Coltrane's playing was.

>Thread with about 20 posts
>Almost 100% of them are about the two artists and their values
>I think we can all agree...
lmao fuck off

>Ok so because I'm a pleb, everyone else has to be one too

It's just my opinion, Davis was way more intense and angry while Coltrane had a freewheeling element to him

Pink Floyd isn't even the best prog band

Pink Floyd is not prog.

Have you heard anything past the Village Vanguard recordings? I agree that a lot of miles' stuff (especially the 70s fusion stuff) has an angry feel but Coltrane went full free jazz, somewhere where Miles never ventured

favorite miles/coltrane albums?

I've heard very little Miles but my favorite Coltrane is Blue Train

Consider your post hidden

Why did Bach and Swans get eliminated??
I wasn't around for it.

Bowie fans proxied their poll.

Blue Train, but I currently really like Ascension

John Coltrane - Africa Brass
Miles Davis - Get Up With It

Miles Davis, John Coltrane, the list goes on...

>Sup Forums almost never discusses jazz
>2 jazz artists are in the final

what?

proxies

It's a battle between making us look cool and intellectual to reddit vs blindly upvoting Sup Forumscore and apparently the former won this time.

I'll be a pleb for miles and go with in a silent way
For coltrane it would be my favorite things or ascension

Then why were the album and song polls such trainwrecks ?