Hey Sup Forums, can you help me get into swans?

hey Sup Forums, can you help me get into swans?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Nz5Uet2o4w8&t=2230s
youtube.com/watch?v=z-AjzjKcQKc
youtube.com/watch?v=PWAXepCzAmM
youtube.com/watch?v=tOHPh6fbhGE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>a pic of shill with a question about a band that gets shiilled

what's is OP's endgame?

People don't actually like swans, they just pretend they do.

Agreed. Swans is not as good as ACDC or Led Zeppelin.

Srsly

The only good bands are
21 Pilots
Panic!
Mac Demarco
XXXtentacion
Pink Floyd

Anyone else is just garbage

I unironically believe this

go to the Sup Forums wiki, there's a flowchart for how to get into Swans

chronologically from filth

dont bother with the new stuff

You are unironically retarded.

>question about a well known band that's been acclaimed by every popular critic on a music board is shilling
What's faggo's end game?
You should name the musicians you listen to.

The great annihilator, Children of god, White light (...) Filth, Soundtracks for the blind The Seer. And then whatever the fuck you wish to.

Also don't start with Filth, otherwise you'll 99% drop the band.

you'd be right. No one gave much of a damn about them in the 90s or early aughts. Then they started getting shilled hard. At minimum, their importance/influence is GREATLY overstated.

t. oldfag

You either like something or you don't

I recommend listening to their music

I started recently with Filth after I couldn't get into Soundtracks of the Blind and it is an amazing record. frustrated masculine chanting never sounded so good

This is true. If you look at old swans reviews on pitchfork, they never got any good scores. They got shilled hard with the seer, suddenly 9.0 BNM, TBK follows with a 9.2 BNM. Fantano gives them a 10. All of it came out of nowhere they really were not talked about at all before all this. Also their newer stuff has more ratings on RYM than their old output, I thought that was interesting too.

>You should name the musicians you listen to.
Never do this anons.

Next thing you know your favorite artist will be writing songs about transgender bathrooms with a dead look in their eyes.

And of course, the SWANS are a manipulated/affiliated 'band'.

no one itt knows what "shill" means

Swans was literally on MTV and touring with Sonic Youth in the 90s

try this

Same faggot
Every Swans thread

The Angels of Light album 'Everything Is Good Here/Please Come Home' (Gira's side Project) was one of the first given 'Best New Music'?

>reviewed poorly

P4k
>Filth 8.1
>White Light 7.9
>Love of Life 8.2

Scaruffi
>Filth 8.0
>Cop 8.0
>Children of God 8.0
>Holy Money 7.5
>White Light 7.5

Christgau
>Filth B+

>Scaruffi
That simpleton is nothing but clap-trap. Pitchfork is more deserving of the true "patrician" rank, they gave the beatles - sgt. peppers a 10.

>P4k
>Filth 8.1
>White Light 7.9
>Love of Life 8.2

All post reunion. They got shilled beginning with the seer.

>You should name the musicians you listen to.
I mean, I should like them, I like abrasive, gutsy ""rock"" as much as the next guy, but I simply can't get into them.

I do believe a sizeable portion of their fanbase just pretend to like them.

I do enjoy The Angels Of Light tho.

>shilled
What the fuck are you even talking about? Have any proof or are bands that are reviewed positively that you can't get into just le shill?

Oh that's it! You have feelies that the big dumb dumbs are being shilled, and that means they are.

>As a college radio DJ in the mid-90s, I once played "God Damn the Sun"-- the coda from 1988's The Burning World-- for over an hour on repeat. Every time the song faded, I placed the needle back in the starting groove and waited for the tentative drones to begin again.
P4k 2003 review

Fuck off to Reddit, faggot.

again, they weren't that popular. Minor figures. And they were rarely on MTV. Maybe once a week at on 120 minutes or whatever.

What is this stupid meme? The band released great music, so they got more popular. This is just how it works dumbass. Is every band that gains popularity after releasing good music nothing more than the product of "shilling" to you?
What the fuck does that even mean? You're retarded, and don't know what shilling is. Do you really think Gira has enough money to pay off critics to give him coverage? Also if you let a band's popularity with certain publications unironically influence your opinion on them, you should probably end your life.

the shills are going double time.

kek

the swans are one of their super serial gritty acts.

You do realize people don't actually consciously just "pretend" to like bands for the sake of it right? You must be really insecure about your taste if you think people will listen to stuff they genuinely dislike just for the image of it.

youtube.com/watch?v=Nz5Uet2o4w8&t=2230s

Sonic Youth were wayyyyyyyyy more popular than the Swans in the 80s, 90s, 00s, and the present day.

And yet there are 100X more Swans threads on Sup Forums than there are Sonic Youth ones

>b-but Swans aren't shilled

really makes you think

How fucking triggered are you? All swans stuff pre seer wasn't positively reviewed. Suddenly a 9.0 BNM out of nowhere, same with most other review sites and all of them suddenly talking about their influence and what an influential band they were. I don't know what Gira did but he did something, the amount of attention the seer got was unusual. TBK then got the same amount of critical acclaim and a rare 10 from Fantano.

to get into industrial swans you have to listen to it at the max volume in a car or somewhere that echoes

You don't know what shilling is.
Sonic youth havent released anything good in years, whereas swans released 3 amazing albums in the last 6 years, so it makes sense that they would be more relevant in current music discussion.

I suggest suicide.

>I don't know what Gira did but he did something
he made good music

found the shill

the shills can't answer this simple observation (because it's true)

get a real job

total and ultimate kek!!

>You do realize people don't actually consciously just "pretend" to like bands for the sake of it right?
>what are teenagers
>what are people with no actual taste that do things just to fit in
>what are pretentious people that do things just for cred
if you don't interact with these kinda people, then congratulations! but you'd be a fool to think people don't do this. people are retarded and insecure and crave for attention and will go to great lengths to get it.

>You must be really insecure about your taste if you think people will listen to stuff they genuinely dislike just for the image of it.
I am guilty of doing it when I was younger, with other styles of music and whatnot, but now I don't give a fuck and listen to everything I like even if it's bad

social pressure is a bitch user, I guess you don't go out often

the shills are mad they got exposed

the shills are upset we figure out all the fake Swans hype

triggered me with the hardcore kekage!!!

oh MY sides!!

good way to transcend social pressure when you're out with others is to better yourself as much as you can

especially in america, most people are gravely unhealthy so bettering things like your health and habits and attitudes will give you the upper hand, and believe me when i say that people notice this shit. confidence is everything.

are you people really so retarded that you think anyone with a different opinion is a paid shill? you really can't even fathom the idea that other people enjoy swans? why are you people like this? what caused autism this strong?

>inb4 shill
i strongly recommend suicide

>are you people really so retarded that you think anyone with a different opinion is a paid shill? you really can't even fathom the idea that other people enjoy swans?
no nigga, we're just not moron drones.

anyone employing any critical thought at all can easily do the math on the Swan's popularity irl v. their popularity on here

it's not hard

you dudes aren't all that slick

I just don't get why people like Swans so much

hint: shills

that's pretty much what I did haha, I see the difference every year and it just gets better, I no longer feel the need to please people with my behavior

I pity the people that can't see this, sadly not everyone can be saved

I suppose, but in reality, Swans isnt the kind of band you "pretend" to like if you want social cred.
Maybe like the fucking Joy Division shirt and The Smiths, but not that many people in the real world give a fuck about swans, so chances are if you like Swans, then you really do like Swans.

honestly I really like To Be Kind

if u have to "get" into music, its probably not for u

>Sup Forums's taste is an accurate proportional representation of reality

I doubt everybody here claiming they like Swans are shilling. I'm just wondering why they like Swans so I can maybe see it from their perspective.

that's the spirit, man, proud of you.

impressionability amongst peers is mostly caused by fear -- fear of them knowing more than you, fear of inadequacy, all kinds of shit. but when you really get the ball moving on self-improvement, i promise you will see the difference between you and your peers doing that Hip New Thing you think you want to get into to. i notice it when i'm out with friends and now they all look to me for the social leverage

there's no time anymore to be a follower.

/self-absorbed rant, but honestly there's nothing wrong with being self-absorbed as long as 1. you aren't an asshole and 2. you're honest with yourself

stay healthy broheim

*you think you want to get into

They cant give a reason, they're shills.

Yes it's true, no one likes my music, i personally send cheques to every person that mentions me or my band on the internet.

-Michael G.

>huh this artist frequently discussed on a music board known for hating normies is way more popular on the board than irl
>could it be because normies dont listen to the music mu does?
>could it be because normies dont listen to 2 hour long albums with 30 minute long songs?
>could it be because swans have absolutely no mainstream appeal?
>...
>no people obviously just get paid to shitpost about baby face album
once again, kys

yes of course Mr. Shillbot. The Swans are actually 100x more popular than Fugazi and Sonic Youth combined. Ok.

reading comprehension

yes, of course, the kids of Sup Forums can't get enough of some 60 year old's band.

ok

>implying fugazi and sonic youth aren't talked about on this board all the time
>implying shitposting about swans indicates their board popularity
>implying half of the posts on this board about swans arent retards like you or people who don't like swans
>implying that mu has a directly proportional and accurate representation of an actual artist's popularity
boy o boy cant wait for that saucy swans check to arrive in the mail

fucking moron

>>implying fugazi and sonic youth aren't talked about on this board all the time
stopped right there

maybe combined 1/10 of the amount Swand or Flaming Lips or any of the other shilled bands are

again, you're not slick

you too mane, godspeed

>waaaah i dont like the ((((band)))) everyone who does is a shill
>multiple people are explaining to me why ((((band)))) is more popular on mu than irl?
>waaaah fucking shill
you my friend are a retard

>going to this extent to hide your shilling of a a band who are about to qualify for social security

wew lad

>implying im not just trying to cash in some more sweet sweet shill money
dummy

>falling for bait this obvious
cmon son

yeah but How I Loved You got a 4.8 when it's clearly the best album Gira's ever going to do

i like swans for the fact that you get to hear the music over the course of the albums go from no-wave to prog rock but outside of the live experience, it's tough for me to sit down with anything newer than SftB

>what's is OP's endgame?
>>implying im not just trying to cash in some more sweet sweet shill money

SWANS

lol

if swans is shilled and bad then what's a good non shilled band to listen to

If you don't mind experimental/harder stuff then just listen to their discography chronologically
If you don't like either then start with White Light, Love of Life, Children of God, The Burning World (probably their worst)
If you like post rock, try their most recent work
Also their live albums are really good also, my favorite being Die Tur Ist Zu. Whatever you do, don't skip those.

He's unironically the most reputable of those three.
Not that it proves much, but it's something.

even deepcuts is in on it!

its kinda tricky
first u gotta jimmey open the swans jaw, then do a 73 degree pencil dive

after crawling in, make ur self at home.

find something from them that you like and explore around that song chronologically
eventually you'll enjoy just about everything they've made if you take that route, the only thing I don't really like is Love of Life at this point
here's a few hints
>overrated
filth
>underrated
greed
>just right
cop

>overrated
children of god
>underrated
the burning world
>just right
holy money

>>overrated
>children of god
>>underrated
>the burning world

maximum kek

hello, pleb

You're confusing patrician with contrarian. Typical pleb.

no, if you don't think the burning world is underrated you are a pleb
children of god is a worse Greed with different themes

hey OP here, thanks, you guys are the only ones who actually helped lmao

how do you feel about this
youtube.com/watch?v=z-AjzjKcQKc

youtube.com/watch?v=PWAXepCzAmM
If you prefer this, listen to Soundtracks for the Blind and then The Seer
youtube.com/watch?v=tOHPh6fbhGE
If you prefer this, listen through White Light, TGA, and then TBK

if this ()
listen through early Swans, each of the albums have a unique reputation so you shouldn't need a guide

The seer contains most of their sounds in their discography

Much appreciated comrade

>stream band's music
>Press shuffle
>listen

ew

>>(((stream))) band's music
not even once

and kek at the very OBVIOUS Swans shill getting rekt

I know this is kind of plebby but I love their instrumentals and just can't get into the vocals.

I'll keep giving them more tries since I do feel drawn in, but when I hear the vocals I almost always lose the immersion and a lot of the enjoyment.

Any advice for me?

what have you listened to thus far?

bump

This

Their trilogy has the least vocals out of all their work, at least I'm pretty sure
Soundtracks for the Blind has a wide range of songs, plenty without any vocals. This goes with Swans are Dead and Die Tur ist Zu also.
Public Castration also is mostly instrumental