My business trip to the Netherlands went well. 99% of dialogues went like this

My business trip to the Netherlands went well. 99% of dialogues went like this.

>Hallo
>nl:Hallo
>Spreek je engels?
>nl:Nee
Virtually nobody speaks English in the Netherlands.

Information centre:
>Hallo - Hello
>H-hallo
>Do you speak English?
>Wat? Oooh, English? Nee, nee. Ik spreek geen engels.
For fuck sake they don't even speak English in some tourist information centres.

Nobody in restaurants, bars, American fast-foods or almost anywhere. Not young people. Not even students.

Only some people at the airport. They're not required to be able to speak English even on the airport!

One of four of our receptionists.

And many people that turned out to be former foreigners or tourists.

Then we met a young Dutch guy in one restaurant. He told us that usually they have ten or more years of mandatory English lessons in their school system. But nobody bothers to learn English.

Just for fun I also tried French and German.To no avail. Surprisingly.

I communicated in Dutch thanks to the translation service of Google only with some minor issues. But all that was a huge lesson about Dutch culture for me.

Dutch business partner couldn't keep to the terms. We promptly tried another one. And he failed too.

I couldn't understand how such a lazy shithole can live so comfortably and how it successfully pretends to be a First World country.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EF_English_Proficiency_Index
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

sounds like bullshit m8, eeryone speaks English.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EF_English_Proficiency_Index

don't know where you are but we're literally number one.

user, I...

Wew lad, gotta lurk more

Its a meme you dip

oh how old, I havent been here a couple of months. I've been browsing this board since for over 4 years dont tell me to lurk more kiddo(....)

sage

Liek one day

Pranked

waarom bijt je nou kankersukkel

lol was a thread about Spain a few hours ago, this meme hot off the presses, served fresh for your pleasure.

Memes aside dutch cant speak english for shit
Fuck this article

el australiANO

My business trip to the America went well. 99% of dialogues went like this.

>Hallo
>Spreek je Nederlands ?
Virtually nobody speaks Dutch in the Amerika.

Information centre:
>Hallo - Hello
>H-hallo
>spreek je Nederlands
>Wat? Oooh, Dutch? No, no i don't speak Dutch.
For fuck sake they don't even speak Dutch in tourist information centres.

Nobody in restaurants, bars, Dutch pannenkoekenhuizen or almost anywhere. Not young people. Not even students.

Only some people at the airport. They're not required to be able to speak Dutch even on the airport!

Then we met a young American guy in one restaurant. He told us that usually they have ten or more years of mandatory English lessons in their school system. But nobody bothers to learn Dutch.

I communicated in English thanks to the translation service of Google only with some minor issues. But all that was a huge lesson about American culture for me.

American business partner couldn't keep to the terms. We promptly tried another one. And he failed too.

I couldn't understand how such a lazy shithole can live so comfortably and how it successfully pretends to be a First World country.

My business trip to the America went well. 99% of dialogues went like this.

>Hallo
>Spreek je Nederlands ?
Virtually nobody speaks Dutch in the Amerika.

Information centre:
>Hallo - Hello
>H-hallo
>spreek je Nederlands
>Wat? Oooh, Dutch? No, no i don't speak Dutch.
For fuck sake they don't even speak Dutch in tourist information centres.

Nobody in restaurants, bars, Dutch pannenkoekenhuizen or almost anywhere. Not young people. Not even students.

Only some people at the airport. They're not required to be able to speak Dutch even on the airport!

Then we met a young American guy in one restaurant. He told us that usually they have ten or more years of mandatory English lessons in their school system. But nobody bothers to learn Dutch.

I communicated in English thanks to the translation service of Google only with some minor issues. But all that was a huge lesson about American culture for me.

American business partner couldn't keep to the terms. We promptly tried another one. And he failed too.

English and Dutch are mutually intelligible.
If you understand English, you undertand 99% of Dutch.

>you undertand 99% of Dutch

less countries should speak english

>English and Dutch are mutually intelligible.
Just like Sami and Finnish, right?

But really, I speak Norwegian, English, and German.
Yet, Dutch is as intelligible as Icelandic to me.

My business trip to Chile went well. 99% of dialogues went like this.

>Hola
>cl: ola
>hablas español?
>cl: wn
Virtually nobody speaks Spanish in Chile.

Information centre:
>Hallo - Hello
>H-hola
>Hablas español?
>q querit? Oooh, wn q fome? No, wn. aqui la fome wn ql
For fuck sake they don't even speak Spanish in some tourist information centres.

Nobody in restaurants, bars, American fast-foods or almost anywhere. Not young people. Not even students.

Only some people at the airport. They're not required to be able to speak Spanish even on the airport!

Then we met a young Chilean guy in one restaurant. He told us that usually they have ten or more years of mandatory Spanish lessons in their school system. But nobody bothers to learn Spanish.

Just for fun I also tried Quechua and Aimara.To no avail. Surprisingly.

I communicated in Chilean thanks to the translation service of Google only with some minor issues. But all that was a huge lesson about Chilean culture for me.

Chilean business partner couldn't keep to the terms. We promptly tried another one. And he failed too.

>Dutch is as intelligible as Icelandic to me.
Wait. Norwegians can't understand Icelandic? What about Swedish?

lurk more newfag

We can understand Swedish as if it merely was a dialect of our own language. But with Icelandic, most of us can make sense of just a few words.

not even close

Dutch is inteligible to English speakers. If you have a wide vocabulary in English and listen sideways to Dutch being spoken then you will understand it.

Cool. I thought Icelandic was a dialect of Norwegian.

I'm pretty sure a native english speaker has an easier time to understand written French than Dutch

yep, simply because a lot of english is full of french loanwords.

It's a dialect of what Norwegian was around 700 years ago.
Modern Norwegian is mostly a variety of Danish.
In fact, in the very start of the 1800's, the Christiania (Oslo) dialect was considered the most "proper" dialect in all of the Danish-Norwegian realm, being much closer to the written language than any other dialect. In later times, the Danish dialects in Denmark have changed more than the dialects in Norway, making the modern day Norwegian language closer to Danish than Danish itself.

So to sum things up:
Icelandic = Norwegian
Norwegian = Old Danish
Danish = Bastardized Danish

Thanks. I get it. It's like an extreme version of Afrikaans for me.

I thought the Icelanders were extremely conservative with their language
So it would be like Middle-Dutch to us

Memes aside, we can.
It's just that our accent is the ugliest accent you can have in English.

Sorry but my English is shit. I only read and hear it but never have an actual conversation in English.
I can't do a presentation in English without eeeeeeeeeeeh... eeeeeeeeeeeeeeh

But you're typing fluent English right now, idiot.
The reason why your conversations in English are shit is because you're not used to it and your head is still thinking in Dutch while you're speaking.

I had the same thing when an international student moved into my student house, after a little while you get used to it.

I Kek'd

>But you're typing fluent English right now, idiot.
That's is what i'm trying to say. See how bad my English is?
I type, read and hear it. But never ever speak it. I use German more in in real life because i live near the border of Mordor.

You just got pranked mate.We are pretty good at English.

Reread my post, especially the last sentence.

My business trip to France went well. 99% of dialogues went like this.

>Bonjour
>fr: مرحبا
>Parle anglais?
>fr: لا
Virtually nobody speaks English in France

Information centre:
>Bonjour - Hello
>م-مرحبا
>Parle anglais?
>ماذا؟ أوه، اللغة الإنجليزية. لا، لا أستطيع أن أتكلم الإنجليزية.
For fuck sake they don't even speak English in some tourist information centres.

Only some people at the airport. They're not required to be able to speak English even on the airport!

Then we met a young French guy in one restaurant. He told us that usually they have ten or more years of mandatory English lessons in their school system. But nobody bothers to learn English.

Just for fun I also tried German and Spanish.To no avail. Surprisingly.

I communicated in English thanks to the translation service of Google only with some minor issues. But all that was a huge lesson about French culture for me.

French business partner couldn't keep to the terms. We promptly tried another one. And he failed too.

>wees mij
>ga naar burgerland
>iedereen spreekt nederlands
Hoorndragers