Music fags, do notes being played in one instrument depend on the notes being played by others at the same time?

Music fags, do notes being played in one instrument depend on the notes being played by others at the same time?
ie, do melodies in a piano depend on what guitar and bass are playing at that moment?
Or can u play anything on top as long it's on key?

Also, what do I search on Google to learn about this specifically?

Other urls found in this thread:

musictheory.net/exercises
twitter.com/AnonBabble

bump with hot grill

The key is what's important, yeah. The notes of each instrument don't matter, as long as it's on key.

You should search "music composition" or pirate a copy of "Music composition for Dummies" or something like that for further details.

You can play a melody by itself, it doesn't need accompaniment. Maybe you are thinking of harmonizing?

You can be playing in the same key or a compatible key to another instrument and still sound like shit. This should answer the OP. Kys

ty pham! will do

i really dont know,
dont even know how to acompainment.
Im just learning, know only basic stuff but im already making some shit so want to make it better.

guess i'll also Google "accompainment"

Key matters. 7s are dangerous. Don't ever plays 7s unless it's jazz or some real fucking wonky shit.

Music theory desu senpai. If you like differentials pick up The Acoustical Foundations of Music - John Backus. Used it for my physics of music class and it's fucking gucci

ty m8, really appreciate it.
Is it like, a dense book full of technical term? will a noob like me understand?

And yea i can tell key matters, but sometimes i think some stuff doesnt sound good despite being played in compatible keys

i think you're trying to describe polyphony? either that or harmony. typically the goal is to have a single melody whereas the other instruments support (harmonize, typically to fill out the sound). that's homophonic sound. in polyphony, multiple melodies or themes are being played at once. this is typical in the Baroque era, and why Bach is such a fucking mastermind.

come to think of it, i think you're going to want to google Sound Textures.

Each song is typically written in one key, (99.999% of the time) and everyone playing the song on individual instruments is playing their instrument using the handful of chords and notes that correspond with the key the song is in. If you can figure out how keys work, then your life in music will become hella faster and way more fun. Forget what dumb fuckers will say about learning music theory. Learn it, and writing music will be far more fun and will push your creativity past all high schoolers who don't understand theory. But a little keyboard or synthesizer and learn how scales work through that!

yea i was just wondering about the interaction between different instruemts/sounds/notes in a track

i dont know if moving stuff in the arrangements alters the musical "comptatibility" of stuff¿
>will Google those terms too ty

>using the handful of chords and notes that correspond with the key the song is in
Lets say the track is in Dm, u can play other chords like Gm, Am, D#m, etc..... So who plays what at what moment? thats was like my whole question if u know what imean

It's pretty dense. Like I said, if you like differentials like dy/dx and all that shit then it's perfect. If not, then you won't understand a lick of it.

I forget what they're called, but the reason for is IIRC is different subset of scales. Like the Phrygian, Dorian, and Lydian. 7 of those for each scale. Pretty sure the one your familiar with is Ionian

>Don't ever plays 7s unless it's jazz or some real fucking wonky shit
stupid advice

also, how do i learn it?
how do i learn how keys work? I know a bunch of chords, know whcih are compatible according to that "circle of fifths" thingie.
>can improv stuff on my keyboard
>learning to play the ukulele

>7ths are dangerous
Fucking retard, the 7ths always add a layer of depth to the basic triad and the more 3rds you add, the more rich the chord becomes thus opening a lot of doors for dynamic phrasing, modulation, etc...

You obviously don't know shit about what you're talking about

>Each song is typically written in one key, (99.999% of the time)

BUT THAT'S ACTUALLY WRONG YOU FUCKING RETARD

If it's on key it will fit, but in different ways.
The same note being played on different instruments will exemplify that note.
Playing an A and a C is a minor third and will sound different than playing an A and a D or an A and a E which are a perfect 4th and 5th respectively.
Play around with these different harmonies and dissonances.
Try looking at intervals.

ty man, will do/read about that too

>saving this whole thread

The timbre of every instrument makes a fairly significant difference to the song your're playing. For example: a song that sounds good with a guitar/bass pairing may not sound as good with a trombone/flute pairing

musictheory.net/exercises
This is a pretty good site to.

*too

i see.
i think ive noticed.

a pairing is what, like a guitar playing chords and a bass playing separate notes?

ty :)