Is it just coincidence that the Moon looks about the same size as the Sun from the position of the Sun?

Is it just coincidence that the Moon looks about the same size as the Sun from the position of the Sun?

Yes, yes its is.

/thread

Diameter of the sun is ~400 times larger than the moon and the sun is ~400 times farther away than the moon

Yes and every stars you can see in the sky are smaller than a nail.

made me chuckle, thanks

They do from earth's position, and yes, it is a nice coincidence

clever nice response

more or less.

However, the diameter of the sun is quite a bit larger than the diameter of the moon from our perspective when you take into account the corona.

you mean 400,000 times you fucking retard

in the next thousands years, eclipses will look like a thin ring, just like the film.

The sun is 1,391,400 km, the moon is 3,474 km in diameter.
1,391,400km/3474km= 400.52 you fucking retard

wait a minute the sun is bigger than the moon?! dude did you see the supermoon few weeks back, think you need to google that

Wow! God is amazing :)

> from the position of the Sun

Like if you were stood on the Sun?

>from the position of the Sun
it doesn't shithead

let me show you how the moon looks from the position of the sun:

God IS amazing. If the orbit of the earth were even a foot difference in either direction, we would either freeze or burn.

bullshit. but someone believing so strong in religion won't understand it. so let's just say: the difference in temperature of 10% less or more earth orbit would be less than 1°C/F

The real mind blown bit is we happen to live in a time where this is possible.

Millions of years ago the moon was closer to Earth, so would've completely covered the Sun and corona. Millions of years in the future, the Moon will be too far away to completely cover it, so there'll be no more total eclipses.

i know what you mean. but are you sure it's only millions of years? afair the moon is moving 1-5 cm away per year. because perspective and shit in a million years this will be less than 1 arc degree of difference...
whatever have fun

It varies by much more than that throughout the year.

i wonder if you really belive this? or is it a troll?

hey faggot, get a load of this guy

nah, it has to be trolling. noone is that stupid.

I undersold it because I couldn't remember the timeframe. NASA says the last ever will be "About 563 million years from now."

on a side note. outside the earth orbit we have around 400°C average temperature. this is what the ISS has to deal with. cooling is way more important than heating

If you so smart then explaining this?

The moon used to be much closer than it is now. The moon is moving away from the earth at about 3.8 cm a year. Eventually the moon will look a lot smaller than the sun, just like hundreds of millions of years ago it looked a lot larger than the sun.

Lurk more fagets

this is not how you prove a point. you fail

sage and shit... OP

common sense says a stick would stay rigid.

in reality a stick that long would behave like a noodle.

the time it would take for a wavelike pulse to be detected would be slower than the speed of light.

you can't beat the speed of light. really weird things tend to happen when you try to beat it.

there are however ways around this. but im not gonna get into it.

>from the position of the Sun
You can't see the moon from the sun...

i agree partially. if the right material/forces are present you end up with a basic formula that demands infinite energy to alter the rotation of said stick in less than a second. but from what i understand is that we don't fucking know if there is such an amount of energy

For any retard falling for this, it's a joke. It's based off some dumb facebook post.

it's not hard to calculate the temperature/result of said thought-experiment.
a grade scholer could do it... amazingly no one ever does it

Pushing something causes a compression wave to be sent through the object, and the force travels through it at its respective speed of sound. On small scales, we don't notice this, because something like a hammer or piece of wood reacts to an applied force within a time-frame unnoticeable by a human being due to its size. You punch a wall, the compression wave quickly travels to the other side. With a large object, the time increases, and it becomes more noticeable.

this question clearly belongs to /sci/ or a real scientific community. but i still ask it only on this thread:

is there any relation between speed of sound and light speed?

for all my live i always thought that a stick that long would move with the max speed for imformation (=speed of light). why is there a speed of sound limit? is there a relation?

The moon is just the sun at night

Absolute freak of chance.

And, by the way, such an oddity that if we ever become a spacefaring race and there are other alien civilisations out there, we're probably going to be a tourist magnet, of er.. things coming to see solar eclipses.

>Moon looks about the same size as the Sun from the position of the Sun?
If never been on the Sun, but I assume the moon is barely visible from there.

I've seen full-grown adults that have children and vote who believed this when it floated around Facebook. They are the majority.

The moon is not a natural satellite. There is no way its a coincidence that the moon is the perfect distance away from the sun to create a perfect eclipse. It is also the perfect distance away to control the tides in such a way that the earth can sustain life. The moon is an alien base

so does your thumbnail OP...

>There is no way its a coincidence that the moon is the perfect distance away from the sun to create a perfect eclipse.
Because it isn't the perfect distance for a perfect eclipse.
That's not getting into the fact that the sun and the moon are not the same shape, making it simply impossible for the moon to perfectly cover the sun.

have you ever seen an eclipse? if it was an closer or further away it wouldn't perfectly cover the sun

>it wouldn't perfectly cover the sun
It doesn't perfectly cover the sun.

>being this retarded
im done

\m/ (*_*) \m/

>I HATE FACTS
You're either a muslim or some other poor fool that so desperately searches for evidence of ALLAH having created the universe that you outright believe lies.

Pathetic.