This is the best rap album of the mid 00s. Why isn't as talked about in hip hop circles as albums like College Dropout...

This is the best rap album of the mid 00s. Why isn't as talked about in hip hop circles as albums like College Dropout, Madvillainy, A Piece Of Strange, Food & Liquor, Donuts, Hell Hath No Fury, etc. At the very least it's easily The Roots' best album and should displace TFA and Illadelph.

>Perfect energetic reminiscent of Chuck D
>lively beats that boom out your stereo and sound live af
>perfect sequencing and structure
>no filler

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UkHwH25qfH4
youtube.com/watch?v=9dZqYgmY-a4
acclaimedmusic.net/Current/The Roots.htm
youtube.com/watch?v=3FdUdvajOp0
youtube.com/watch?v=VnzaPkl6Nvg
youtube.com/watch?v=uL9nL7Vpt1g
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>and sound live af
>af
is there a more obvious sign someone was poorly raised by a single mother?

Address my post or shut up autist.

maybe worrying about what "the best rap album of the mid 00s" is is the real problem

Literally hang you'reself my friend

You are unfortunately in for a lot of "rap more like crap" ">rap", and "this board is for music" posts so bless you for dealing with that.

I really think the Roots are a great group too. Not sure why they don't get talked about as much either.

nah I'm good.

J I M M Y K I M M E L B A N D

>and should displace TFA
"no"

I guess the can come off as really vanilla or plain jane. I mean Outkast has a lot more style than them, same for WU. They're just consistently great. And GT in particular comes with no real gimmick, it's just straight street-conscious rapping over hard hitting beats. It's hard to sell it.

Funnily enough their music went downhill once that happened. Thought Thought still kills guest verses here and there nowadays.

Hell ya, making crazy fucking money off that shit. You'd have to be stupid to decline an offer like that

Phrenology is better.

The Roots are probably the most underrated hip hop act concerning the average rap fan, but in the hip hop community people know what's up.

Game Theory is still great, but it's probablt their least accessible release, and that's not me saying that it necessarily factors into its praise or lack there of. A quick wikipedia look shows it has been very well received.

I know this might be SLIGHTLY off topic but since we're talking about other rap groups, what do you think of Jedi Mind Tricks?

youtube.com/watch?v=UkHwH25qfH4

Shit you said mid 2000s. You might be right, but we're talking about a pretty stale time for hip hop.

>but we're talking about a pretty stale time for hip hop.
....You sure about that?

you forgot In My Mind

Heh, funny how there's no real consensus on what the best Roots album is. Their two most acclaimed among the press is TFA and Illadelf, but in terms of rap fans it varies. Game Theory has a cult following, and a lot of people love Undun.

I actually think Game Theory is their most accessible. It has a short run time, it's more modern so if someone is new to rap going back to their 90s sound and rapping might put off newer rap fans. I guess How I got over is more accessible actually, but I don't think it's close to as good as GT.

I like SIHKIH and VBD. Vinnie Paz is someone you shouldn't take at face value though. He makes me laugh a lot, and his whole ANGRY conspiracy rap is just something you have to be in the mood for. Still I dig them, used to be into them a lot more when I was younger.

Have you heard Doom-Mood? They remind me of em.

youtube.com/watch?v=9dZqYgmY-a4

>. Their two most acclaimed among the press is TFA and Illadelf
but that's wrong, most of their other albums are more acclaimed than illadelf, pic related

acclaimedmusic.net/Current/The Roots.htm

>Have you heard Doom-Mood? They remind me of em.
Listening to the one you sent. I don't like the production as much as I like Stoupe's but it's still pretty good.

You listen to way too much music, kiddo.

>Not this
Or if you mean 2004-2007 specifically, Any Busdriver album that came out during that time.

Weird, I always thought Illadelf was easily one of their most acclaimed albums only behind TFA.

This is a music board, kiddo.

I could never get into Sage Francis, and I dig Atmosphere or at least Lemons a lot. I also like By The Throat.

I do like Busdriver though.

Missing Scifentology by Yak Ballz

Topsters only goes up to 12 collums.

By the the Throat is amazing, for only 30 minutes long it's one of the most powerful rap albums I've heard.

But for Sage Francis, I think Personal Journals is a masterpiece, while the rest doesn't really measure up to it.

What do you think of Astronautilis. My friend loves him, and I dig this song, but man he annoys the shit out of me. Generally speaking, I'm kind of picky when it comes to white rappers. I'm more of a fan of Def Juxish white rappers than Rhyme Sayers esque white rappers (Beauty and the beat is one of my favorite rap albums).

youtube.com/watch?v=3FdUdvajOp0

oh yeah, this is the only song from Astronautilis that I really like.

God no. His cadence is awful, and his voice has the annoying "whiteboi" sound, he sounds like he can be fronting some indiepop band.
Nothing wrong with indiepop, but the guy from WALK THE MOON shouldn't rap.

>Rhyme Sayers and Def Jux
Both patrician choices. Aesop Rock is my favorite rapper of all time.

my friend convinced me to see this guy in my city at the very last second, we only could stay for half the set but it was actually a really energetic and fun show but fuck does most of his studio material not hold up well
look into the southern rap album he made with bon iver if you need a laugh

haha, I get ya. Indie rock and rap are fine, and I like both, but they should almost never be fused. Shit's almost as bad as rap metal.

And in terms of annoying whiteboi sound, than this guy is the most annoying "whiteboi" rapper I've ever heard.

youtube.com/watch?v=VnzaPkl6Nvg

He made an album with bon iver? That's hilarious.

>Sadistik
My negroid, fuck this guy.

I tried, I really tried to take him seriously, but he's just sad, not good. My friends mistake "sad" for depth, and they would not stop talking about this guy. His lyrics are middle school, his flow is meh, and his beats are passable, but could only fit for his brand of angstrap so they'll never do anything else. Jesus, This guy is as if 14 year old me tried to rap with 16 year old me's poetry journal.

Holy shit I need to check this out

Dreganomics is a fuckin classic

youtube.com/watch?v=uL9nL7Vpt1g
it's...a mess

I'm actually surprised cause he was able to get great beats on his next album. I don't know how this corny ass rapper hooked up with BSBD to produce his album, but he did NOT deserve them at all. Also I'll give him that he's a pretty good rhymer even is his lyrics are shit.

You're spot on about him being angstrap and nothing else. He literally still sounds like a netcee who got lucky enough to gain a following. You know how rappers who have fans at least sound "professional" and don't sound like netcees? He never graduated past that phase for me. I actually posted on a forum where a lot of people liked him, way back in 2010 and this was before he had any real fanbase, it's still weird seeing him gain a following.

what the fuck? loool

undun was after they started at fallon tho