Any of you have ever been able to think in another language that wasn't your mother tongue(s)?

Any of you have ever been able to think in another language that wasn't your mother tongue(s)?
How long did you think in that language and if you think in it all the time now, at what age did you start thinking in it?
Also describe the situation that put this effect on you

Gozaimasu Senpai desu Arigatou

english (mother tongue is french)
i don't remember when i started to be able to think in it, lived my whole life in montreal in a neighborhood that is mostly english speaking so a lot of my childhood friend are anglo.
it feels normal desu

So you just thought in english ever since childhood

yes, i never took actual English class (except of the most basic we have in elementary/highscool)

There's no hope for me then

happens with "fuck" sometimes

even audibly

what language are you trying to talk? pretty sure you could do it with a lot of practice, i think i was blessed in some kind of way to have it this easy.

my main thinking language has switched twice in the course of my life
there's also patches of thinking in other languages occasionally

I live in the Southwest US, so you can guess what language
I'm sure with enough practice you can do anything, I'm just stubborn and I want to have results now

>tfw you can only learn languages extremely well if you were naturalised to them in childhood
it's ogre for me

You can literally learn a language at any age, the child brain thing is just a myth, your brain is more powerful when you're an adult

Yeah, yeah, that sounds right
I was wondering how much images makes a thought into a particular language conjure up in one's mind, I feel like you can use that as a tool when learning a language

Why'd you delet that post user?

Yes. I started "thinking " in English since I was 13. Before doing it I'd to study it for 3 years
More recently, it took me 1 year and a few months to do the same with French

Interesting, did you purposefully set out to think in english or french when you learned them?

More or less. When I acquired enough vocabulary I started doing it. It's like a on and off switch nowadays.
First I tried translating simple things in my head "I'm washing the dishes " and similarly. Then I listened to media in the language and started to mimicking it. After a while you can pass hours thinking to yourself and doing things in a foreign language.

I've been trying to learn Polish because my parents immigrated here. I managed to dream solely in Polish one night, I don't know how. It definitely improved my Polish.

That's a cool thing, you must be studying and practicing a lot to achieve that dream in polish

I can think in Dutch and English. I like thinking in English or formulating my thoughts in English because of the wide vocabulary. One other nice thing about the English language is that you can already give an indication of what kind of sentence is coming by using certain words at the beggining of said sentence. Examples are "conversely", "additionally", "crucially", et cetera.

Needless to say I don't really think in a language except when intentionally doing so. For example, I could think of a concept without the use of language and then elucidate it by formulating it in a language. I believe this is the case for close to everybody though, right?

>I could think of a concept without the use of language and then elucidate it by formulating it in a language. I believe this is the case for close to everybody though, right?
That is a complicated thing, I'm not sure I can say I do the same thing, I'm monolingual for the most part

For me it just seems to take to long to think in a language. It's too slow to really come up with the actual words. The upside of this is that you can really get into detail and let your thoughts settle and sink in when you take your time to actually formulate them by means of a language.

I accidentally thought in french once while playing hearthstone going through a play in my head

Felt like thinking in english but later it freaked me out

>For me it just seems to take to long to think in a language
Did this happen when you were learning english? Did you force yourself to think in english?

I'm referring to languages in general, so Dutch and English. My point is that to actually 'translate' the concepts of your thoughts into words is not very efficient because it takes time. However the fact that this takes time also has its upsides, like mentioned before.

Oh yes, I understand, thank you

I think in english, but it's not all the time, I randomly switch between spanish and english. I don't remember when did it start, I guess when I was 18 or something like that.
I also know portuguese but I still haven't got to the point of thinking in portuguese without doing it "manually"