So lets have a debate about feral fluffies...

so lets have a debate about feral fluffies. everyone says that the reason these fuckers survive outdoors is through constant reproduction. however, more off-spring means finding more food, for a species that can break bone from a 3 inch fall, are stupid as hell, prone to diseases, malnutrion and exposure. basically, no matter how many babies these thing crank out, survival of these off-spring is laughable. the only sensible explanation for this canon, is that the feral DO have some favorably traits beyond reproducing and rapidly evolve through attrition.

Other urls found in this thread:

fluffybooru.org/post/view/44308
youtube.com/watch?v=2E9-rDplPrM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

also, mares are too fucking helpless to survive while pregnant.

also foals die stupidly easily....

also, their stupidity has its consequences...

also they seem to have a tendency for still borne foals.

well you're here...

what's the booru drama surrounding this artist? (I assume there is some)

Kweh.

alright who let the chocobo follow them?

you forgot predators...

Herds.

Presentation varies. The gist of most stories is that about 2/3rds of the herd exist to ensure the survival of the core group of 1/3rd.

It wouldn't surprise me if the lifetime of a herd is 5-10 years, on average, with the most common final outcome being catastrophic for the herd as a whole.

That would be enough. There's always another herd lurking just down the road.

they also just have shit luck...

foals die super easy

so, single mares and their offspring are guaranteed to die, but the ones that form herds will survive? is there a trait in the herds that is being favored by selection that would make the herd ferals begin to evolve into a less broken organism?

these things can survive outdoors allegedly...

Bumpity they fucking bump

>so, single mares and their offspring are guaranteed to die, but the ones that form herds will survive?

No. But unaffiliated fluffies probably provide indirect protection to the herd. I don't think safety in numbers means anything either. It's just their limited organizational ability, plus spare bodies that allow the core group to survive longer.

>is there a trait in the herds ... favored by selection that would make the herd ferals begin to evolve ...

Not in any time frame that matters. Just their organizational ability providing a slight advantage to a fraction of the herd.

also, two teats for a litter size 4-8 not counting still-borns, this ensures only 2 babbies can be adaquately fed at a time, thus the favorites will be fed more, where the rest will be fed less, thus get less nutrician, thus less development, thus less chance of growth and survival. so per litter, a mare can theoretically raise two foals only to adulthood and solid foods, however that is assuming none of the other millions of other deadly variable don't take the foals or the mother first.

>No. But unaffiliated fluffies probably provide indirect protection to the herd. I don't think safety in numbers means anything either. It's just their limited organizational ability, plus spare bodies that allow the core group to survive longer.
so theoretically, whatever traits distinguish the core group will be what is passed on. so long as the core group can get some offspring to maturity, those traits should pass on and extend a branch of mutation.

and their criteria for pecking orders and feeding are complete bullshit. the mother do not favor the strongest or smartest foals, but by their color.

Except evolution almost never works like this over the short term. More likely you would see a set of random traits passed on. A few will be beneficial, a few counter productive. Most are neutral.

And, like I said, I see the herd collapsing before enough generations pass for a trait to establish itself long term.

so... two viable offspring per mare, factoring in all dangers, all a minimum of one will die, and likely the other will too, but stay the last one makes it to mating age, it now needs to find other surviving wild fluffies in which to mate with, unless the mother keeps repleanishing her litter with more foals, however, then that would lead to inbreding, breaking the fluffies' generic shit even worse...

so, ferals are more or a less a self-solving problem...

how are they not extinct in the fluffy world yet? just hasbio, and pet shops and owners abandoning fluffies and replenishing the ranks?

You're right, it just doesn't make sense.
I guess every fiction has its shortcomings.

would the abandonment of seasonal fluffies from stores and failed hasbio jobs fill the plot hole?

I like the idea shown in some of the "infographic" artwork that fluffies were intentionally designed not to survive in the wild. That also helps to show why organization is one of the few tools they have to overcome their limitations.

That non herd do survive for a time also reinforces that Hasbio didn't get to finish the final product. They're a bit too hearty. The attrition rate should still be much higher for singles over herds.

Perhaps

wellt hat leads us to two raods, either humanity's demand for consumptiona nd disposibility of fluffies is what sustains the existance of ferals, or there ARE some favorable traits on one of the abandoned batches and there can exist possibly a new adaptively radiated version of a fluffy, based on the demands of their envoirment. maybe smarter tougher, maybe they kill or mate with lesser ferals. it could be a new idea that can bring new life to the booru.

If you're all going to apply real world logic to a fictional creature in a fictional world...

Let's face it, between humans hunting/trapping them, natural predators, the elements and such, fluffies would be extinct in less than a year in the wild. Using the "high birth rate" excuse is just that; an excuse to keep this shit going.

Hey Dust. You joining us tonight?

>Using the "high birth rate" excuse is just that; an excuse to keep this shit going.
its also the only thing that gives people justification for the abuse.
several people don't like the realism becasue then it jsut makes humanity a bag of dicks rather than preforming a public service.

Maybe because they're not real you dumb fuck

Or you could say that the fluffyverse has reached a sort of population equilibrium where fluffies are still hunted in the wild but nobody gives enough of a fuck to carry out a full on eradication program.

does this mare have a reason for living anymore?

but that doesn't explain the domesticated and commercial fluffy production which should be overtaking the ferals.

This. Fluffies have zero defensive adaptations. There is no good explanation for their survival, or if there is I haven't heard it.

no, I wonder if she should try to bread again, several times, not get pregnant then try to kill herself via traffic.

Love the Weyland-Yutani armband. Keep up the good work, Dustcollector.

new story if anyones interested fluffybooru.org/post/view/44308

After the problems caused by the super herds, I'd imagine that fluffy mills and farms would find themselves under heavily government regulations and would also fall under strict production restrictions; only produce X number of foals per year and everything else goes from womb to meat grinder.

Then again, absolutely everything is up one's own headcanon so whatever.

well you can always say commercially produced and unsold fluffies are constantly abandoned. it is a simply fix, unless anyone has any objections...

They survive for the same reason nigger sub humans survive.

Handouts from the humans out of pity.

so even unsold stock is either used as snake meat, or abandoned?

except human are on the top of the food chain, fluffies are not. bad comparison...

unsold stock would probably be returned to the company and either turned into high protein feed for the foal mills or ground down and sold into fertilizer

The government can regulate the production side of things to prevent ferals but once a fluff is in the consumer's hands, it would be hard unless they did like I did in some of my stories where the floofer is heavily tracked and tagged from birth to death and the owner is responsible for providing constant updates to the government's database.

assuming these are companies that follow the regulations and have the infrastructure to do this. however, smaller, illegal mills might buy some favorably collored fluffies and breed the shit out of them for a quick buck, and possibly abandone the lesser colors. but yeah, we would have to establish the government and general public's disposition for fluffies, do they love em, or hate em? or are they simply a commodity?

shit, that is pretty closely regulated. so the owner needs to be sure not the breed or abandon the fluffy once bought?

Fluffies don't live in the wild. They'd last a half an hour in the woods. They live in cities and shit.

They die from cold, starvation, getting run over etc. they rarely get killed by dogs / cats but it does happen.

I think people misunderstand just have fast these fuckers breed. They are like like rabbits on extasy. It takes about a month or so for it to mature to breeding age, they just have to avoid doing something abhorrently retarded for a month and they can multiply.

Kinda sorta.
Working on a 4-panel pic suggested by an user in last weekend's thread.

yeah...

The Jellyverse canon by Hornlarry does a good job of setting up how they can exist and thrive.

youtube.com/watch?v=2E9-rDplPrM

hello friend Dust! looking forward to your next work! hope you get a chance to read my latest story =]

dat english

eh fluffies wouldn't be too much of an issue. True they are an invasive species/biotoy. But they have shit survival skills and can't really take over anything. It would cost more to implement and enforce a law than killing them. It's as simple as better trash collection and littering. These two would better society in general thus a 2 for 1.

Sexually intact fluffies were illegal for anyone except for certain licensed facilities to possess, there were strict transport regulations and the owner faced stiff penalties if their fluffy went AWOL. I really just copied Canada's gun laws and applied them to fluffies.

The one about burying dead pet fluffies under a tree? That would've been my idea.

Final fantasy is an extremely overrated and forgettable videogame series.

artist-kun is russian, his self translated stuff can have some pretty bad errors, but i find it endearing

What the fuck is even happening in this comic?

I've got a little problem there. The last story period that I've read was the one where Xibalba met the micro cannibal fluffy herd and made that poor sod fall in love with her. How do I continue from there?

Yeah, that one. Once I got sober the next day, I thought it was a pretty neat idea.

I've used the "tree to mark a fluffy's grave" thing quite a bit in my writing. Besides, you did such a great job with pic related.

is that head games 3? it goes head games 1-4, unnatural born killers, family matters and the great escape part 1

I, personally, like to think that fluffies are actually quite hardy. Like, they can be injured and break bones very easily, but heal fairly quickly and extensively and can survive damage that might kill other animals. We've seen many comics where a fluffy suffers a great deal of damage, amuputation, removal of organs, broken bones, lacerations, etc. and seems basically fine other than being in a lot of pain.

There are a lot of contradictory ideas. In some stories, fluffies keel over from a stiff breeze, in others, they can endure horrific torture and punishment. I'm inclined to favor the latter because it just makes more sense. If fluffies were so easy to kill, they'd have never survived.

Just my opinion.

It's all very headcanon dependent, particularly the size of pregnant mares. Some authors say the sheer volume of births outweighs attrition while others give them durability closer to that of a small dog.

I'm of the opinion that they would be rather hardy as well, for a rather simple reason. They were intended to be pets/toys for young children and children can, and will, even unintentionally, break their toys or unknowingly harm a pet by being too rough with them. Also, that explains why they cry out at the slightest bit of pain, to make sure the child wouldn't get too rough with them.

Oh, that you, Yippy?
Great. I'll check them out tomorrow. Cheers. I myself am writing a fluffy story now.

Could perhaps be explained by a short incubation period. Perhaps fluffy babies only take say 3 weeks to birth?

Most comics too seem to portray them living in urban centres- and those have been able to sustain populations of pigeons and rats and squirrels into countless numbers

oooh nice! i eagerly await it! hope you enjoy the stories =]

some headcanon suggests that the original PETA release were unfinished products and had the durability, poor digestion leading to constant shitting, and the mothers sorting behavior. Further actual releases corrected many of those flaws to make them more desirable pets.

why the fuck is one guy spamming chocobo pictures?

Can a drawfag fluffy this?