Anons who don't watch anime: why not? It's so good. Have you just never given it a chance...

Anons who don't watch anime: why not? It's so good. Have you just never given it a chance? Did you watch one shitty anime and assume everything else was that bad?

Honestly wondering.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=oz49vQwSoTE
youtube.com/watch?v=8zBaKgJr7Ss
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The only anime I watch is dragon ball and Dragon Ball z I used to watch it a lot in 2002-2003

im also interested

I watched anime when I was teenager and interested in girls. In my country Sailor Moon (we’re talking 90s here) was televised, I also purchased a magazine about anime. I still think anime is very feminine-centric, although I know there are different genres covering literally everything.

Because I rather work, go to school, and on my free time see my girlfriend or hang out with friends

Anime is basically a neet thing

because im not a weeb and this site was made for hentai, not anime, for any shitposters who feel like stepping up
ontop of all that your image is used every Fucking day Op, every Fucking day

i dont see the context here as you could say the exact same thing to justify why you dont read books or whatever. im sure you watch movies from time to time, do you for example exclude animation movies per se?

>ontop of all that your image is used every Fucking day Op, every Fucking day

My bad. I like that image though and it's from a recent anime that's good and entry level.

Don't have the time :( I started watching initial D and never got around to finishing the second season

>this site was made for hentai, not anime
>not anime

Yeah I don't read book on my free time either

My free time really just comes down to my girlfriend (not complaining) or going out. I used to watch animay when I was younger but then real world hit me straight in the face.

I watch amvs with aestheticly rap shit from time to time. Does that count?

Way to over exagerated for me, it seems like all the characters are holding in a shit when they speak.

there are more realistic animes though

I am not a person that "watches" anime but i have seen quite a few titles. My roommate is quite the collector of the stuff and has probably 200 different series stuffed into DVD racks topped with PVC characters. He will watch these while i am trying to work on my computer, which is fine so i have seen a lot of them.

I would say yes there are a couple of good titles out there but out of the one hundred plus ones i have seen there is only a couple. Most are generic and to borrow a term from the video game industry most are "shovel ware". Cheaply and quickly produced to turn a buck.

One that he was watching the other day was the second season of SAO. Garbage, pure garbage. Flat characters, boring story, overly sexed models to provide a market base for people who never leave their houses i mean all of it was garbage.

>One that he was watching the other day was the second season of SAO

It sounds like your roomie watches trash and yes, there is a ton of trash out there, mostly because there is just so much anime produced period.

on the other hand if you consider full lenght features its almost the other way round: western cinema floods the market with unoriginal mainstream cinema while the few anime movies which make their way into our markets are generally pretty high quality.

>would rather work and go to school.
Wow dude you sound like the least fun person in the world

but it is the ratio of trash to anything good. When op uses a blanket statement like "anime is so good" it implies that no matter what you watch it will be enjoyable.

that is not the case at all. If you were to draw one from a box of a million titles there is a 99% chance that it will be bad. If anything a more correct more fair statement is that Anime sucks over all but there is a few that are good.

I have seen all the Miyazaki films and perhaps it is a culture thing or maybe they are too childish but they are all pretty bland. Sure they are different but just because they are different doesnt mean they are good.

I like some anime, more so when Im high. If only there were animes with more western story telling, like a down to earth tarantino or scorsesee type of anime.

>I have seen all the Miyazaki films and perhaps it is a culture thing or maybe they are too childish but they are all pretty bland. Sure they are different but just because they are different doesnt mean they are good.

I agree with this, Miyazaki's movies are sort of meh, some people think they're amazing though.

As someone who watched about 20 or so anime series i have to admit that most anime is either pants on head retarded or immature as fuck. I mean sure - if you've got a complex sexuality and want to be a little schoolgirl anime is the right thing for you, but if you're somewhat of a normal human beeing you'll see that there aren't too many ... suitable series for you.
I guess i'm picky with the stuff i watch, but if you want to avoid pantyshots, school girls eating cake, optimus prime robots and naruto you'll see there isn't exactly much left of anime.

ideally you want to know some more directors to judge the quality of anime cinema, especially if miyazakis style doesnt work that well for you.
there is a far wider variety available, and especially stuff like ghost in the shell or perfect blue are much more suitable for the western market

>As someone who watched about 20 or so anime series

youtube.com/watch?v=oz49vQwSoTE

I'm not motivated to keep going if all suggestions i get are worse than the animes i've watched already and/or found myself.
I can't shake the feeling that i've seen the good ones and that's it.

If you've seen 20 series and you think you've seen "the good ones," and you still think the majority of anime is bad, then does that mean you think there are only like, 5 good anime? 10?

im just never bothered i watch like a few episodes of some anime and leave it and say another time when im free i watch it but i never do lol

2 years of life ruined by living with adults way too into Naruto. Tried giving other things a chance but I just think the shits gay and can't watch it

As far as i'm concerned i've got exactly two animes i consider good.
>planetes
>ghost in the shell
Others range from watchable to absolute shit. Each suggestions i get from others ends up somewhere at the end of that list, even though it'll be hard to be worse than this monster girl dating series.

I'll admit that it's hard to find good anime just on the basis of suggestion, and part of the reason is it's hard to find people who share your taste in anime, especially when it comes to people you meet in person. Most people exclusively watch shonen anime.

You could watch more cyberpunk anime. Psycho-Pass is probably something you'd like. Maybe Ergo Proxy, but it's pretty hit-or-miss.

Watched them both, they're watchable.
Just finished Steins Gate - also watchable.
Btoom - almost watchable, but too cringy for me.
Hellsing - watchable but focused too much on edgyness.
Same with Tokyo Ghul.
Same with Ajin.
That's some out of the top of my head.

I feel like it's a matter of, "Different strokes for different folks." It's a lot like how some people really enjoy shows like Narcos or Breaking Bad, whereas some hate shows like that and would rather watch GoT or nothing at all. Everyone's got different tastes; anime isn't necessarily for everyone.

I wasnt a big fan of ghost in the shell either. While i would say that the story line was more lucid if falls victim to the same sort of anime tropes that make most animes bad. Who fights crime in a g-string?

I think I'm just too intelligent to like anime.

im sorry mate, im pretty picky about what movies i watch and i got into anime at like 21 as i discovered how rich the genre was with original ideas. stuff like naruto is basically the bane of animation fans defending the genre against regular viewers
you could try cowboy bebop as its pretty stylish and accessible. i would recommend satoshi kon for his full time features also.

Not the same user, but I feel like the odd shit such as fighting crime in a g-string is part of what makes certain shows entertaining. It's something that's so out there, you know nobody would ever consider doing it, and it kind of adds that "Huh?" factor that you see even in some live-action shows.

I think if he liked Ghost in the Shell but thought Btooom and Hellsing were lame then he's not likely to enjoy things like Cowboy Bebop or TTGL which are more in the "style" direction.

if thats your kind of humour, kill la kill deconstructs this over the top sexualizing (and tons of other cliches from the shonen and magical girl genre) but its really flashy and not really entry level if you dont watch a lot anime i would say.

as this other user suggested, psycho pass actively tries to omitt such things and establishes a more western style, while the setting is comparable to ghost in the shell.
there is also always evangelion directly making fun of standard anime fans after pretending to be a standard mecha anime for its first half and then continues to be a psychological drama. but thats also not that accessible.

Terribe dialogue
Same type of characters just drawn differently (moody, overachiever, dumb as shit but has a good heart, villian turned sorta good guy etc)
Annoying as shit sidekick animals with squicky voices
More filler episodes than story related ones
Most anime is aimed for the intelligence level people who would watch it. Dumb.

watch flcl and learn better

Manga is the better weeb medium.

Anime is basically held back by shite budgets, so studios have to make a choice between good animation or good quality frames.

With manga all you need to focus on is the quality of the drawings and fuck all else.

Plus it's far easier to blaze through several volumes of a manga than an entire anime series.

>no seiyuus
>no catchy as fuck OPs and original soundtracks
>no God-tier hand-painted background art

You're missing out on a lot with manga only, user

Cute anime

I do watch anime.

I have yet to see a single anime that matched the flawlessness of the Golden Age/Conviction arcs in Berserk.

Like seriously, the character dynamic between Guts-Griffith-Casca in the Giolden Age arc blows away anything else in the medium.

thats just a different medium. both have advantages and disadvantages and even formats that wouldnt work in the respective other medium

No idea why, but anime just didn't click with me. Planning to do something tomorrow though to get toe-deep. See if it's THAT bad.

There's nothing better than really chill slice-of-life anime. There's no Western equivalent. The closest would be something like Peanuts, maybe.

>I have yet to see a single anime that matched the flawlessness of the Golden Age/Conviction arcs in Berserk.

Have you seen Revolutionary Girl Utena?

>Revolutionary Girl Utena?
Not yet

I watched cowboy bebop and it was good, so I don't want to ruin a good anime with the shit that is out there

all my friends watching fucking 500 episodes of shit with lists of episodes of filler to avoid? fuck off that's soap opera shit.

24 episodes and we're done. clean. Good.

I hope you realize most series are 12-24 episodes

yeah i also only watch series with ~25 episodes max. only exception i'll probably make in the future is monster

Might as well give a few reccomendations of my own while I'm at it.

FLCL
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
Hyouka(Some people find it boring but I loved it personally)
The Tatami Galaxy
Kids on the Slope
Gunbuster
Patlabor OVA and the first two films

I'm a bit iffy on FLCL though since I know that a lot of people are turned off by its over-the-top presentation, but I think it's a perfect coming-of-age tale.

Monster drags on quite a bit, it has a good ending though. It's overrated because of a combination if being old and being so long that nobody finishes it these days.

you should watch Flip Flappers
youtube.com/watch?v=8zBaKgJr7Ss

Because the media I enjoy isn't all about wild fantasy and crazy emotions

what anime is that?

I tried watching macross 3 times. every time I fell asleep half way through the movie. Iv'e only seen 2 seies that I liked.

a word on flcl: i actually find that its sometimes a little to intelligent for the viewers as its content is mainly given through metaphors while also beeing extremely dense and fast paced and packed with beautiful animation, art and music. kind of makes people swallow the plot as 'random' allthough they really should pay more attention to it. i also would say that its one of the best animes and the best coming of age story ive ever witnessed.

what movies or books are not about either wild fantasy or crazy emotions?

I have never seen FLCL and know nothing about it, but based entirely on how people keep saying "coming of age story," I'm going to assume it's got a lot of sexualized underage girls.

underaged yes as the main protagonist is underage himself, but sexualized? not really. quite contrarily, one of the conflicts of the mc is that he gets used by some older girl as love substitute because she used to date his bigger brother.