/prod/ - Music Production general

"FL Studio users only" edition

>Production Resources:
>Pastebin - Links, books, videos, articles, tutorials and stuff
pastebin.com/pYGCLu6q

>/prod/ wiki - still looking for contributors
mu-sic-production.wikia.com
There's a severe lack of DAW descriptions in the wiki. If you're good with your tool of choice, consider writing a paragraph about it.

/prod/ IRC is up!
To join, you can go to rizon.net/chat
Choose a nick, put #/prod/ as channel. Enter!
Or you can get a lightweight desktop client here hexchat.github.io/downloads.html

Remember to use clyp.it to post your tracks/WIP: posting a clyp.it is just providing sound for a question, posting a Soundcloud link is making self-advertisement and the thread doesn't need that.

Remember to check other peoples' clyp.it links to keep the thread healthy.

Previous thread: 72060482

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/wkv20ic0
clyp.it/lcsjlqh2
youtube.com/watch?v=Uba0EjsPFTg
clyp.it/inscmucw
support.image-line.com/knowledgebase/base.php?ans=517
clyp.it/ustpu5d4
clyp.it/klwlcctr?token=ef528ba573790eee10da97d67cf7ba7d
clyp.it/r3t4qehs
clyp.it/mclghgto
clyp.it/q5hqt2yg
soundcloud.com/syhrxa/scarab-mistra-20210217
youtube.com/watch?v=xECUrlnXCqk
clyp.it/ci3zq5k4
clyp.it/trygnqi1
clyp.it/d4f5v25w
twitter.com/forexposure_txt
clyp.it/peifjsmz
youtube.com/watch?v=rjxR9fJUP8g
clyp.it/uozob05g
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

whoops:

hey senpaitachi ive been workin on this for the past couple days on and off
clyp.it/wkv20ic0

and i just noticed while exporting i keep getting these weird lawn-mower like artifacts that become increasingly loud as they go on. sometimes they dont last very long and sometimes they. there's one at 1:32 and one at 1:42. I'm pretty sure it's due to ValhallaShimmer. Does anyone have any idea how to avoid this? It occurs sometimes during playback within my DAW but not everytime and not in the same place. Is it just my computer being too shit?

any other advice appreciated ¦3

>create soundcloud account
>upload a handful of songs
>immediately contacted by spam/scammers
[spoiler]nearly fall for one of them[/spoiler]
>tfw
send help

Ive been working on this today, what do you think?
clyp.it/lcsjlqh2

Try turning the feedback down on Shimmer

You could be using a better snare sample imo
The rain is over the top
Rhodes sound a lil too clean for my taste

any junglists

How do I make chillwave like this?
youtube.com/watch?v=Uba0EjsPFTg

What did they offer?

Hey, any anons that wanna do some work on the OST for an indie game I'm making?

I can't pay but you'll get some (minor) exposure and full credit for anything that you do.

I really want to put some drum breaks and snare rolls on this track I'm making but I've never done it before. Any tips for making it not sound like shit? Tutorial vids you'd recommend?

>le exposure for unpaid work meme

No. No no no no no. NO.

Playing around with samples. How bullshit is the result?

clyp.it/inscmucw

People still use FL studio? What a joke

>work for free

what do you use?

Ableton duh

First of all, can I have custom presets folder Xfer Serum?

Second question is complicated. I wanted to write preset creator name and preset name (Serum), but every time I try to type letters like q,w,e,r,t,y,u,i,o,p or so it plays a note and doesn't write anything. How do I fix this? I have FL Studio 12.
So, I will be idort. haha

>every time I try to type letters like q,w,e,r,t,y,u,i,o,p or so it plays a note and doesn't write anything. How do I fix this? I have FL Studio 12
i swear i try to stay objective and not get into the whole daw wars thing, but it seems like almost every time somebody is struggling with something stupidly basic like this it's either in fl or reaper

Loool

>"stupidly basic" problem
>making fun instead of being helpful by giving a simple solution

let's do better /prod/

support.image-line.com/knowledgebase/base.php?ans=517

i meant stupidly basic as in he's not trying to access some complex feature of the daw, he's just trying to name a preset.

also fuck you lol i'll make observations if i want to, i don't even use fl so i don't have any input for how to solve the problem

>FL Studio users only

Is this a JoJo reference?

Some sketch I made today in FL. Not done, and fuck the arp at the end, just too lazy to cut it out rn clyp.it/ustpu5d4

PLS HELP

Damn, I really like that

I'm not sure what sort of answer you want. Your question is far too broad. If you want to do it properly you'll have to learn music theory, subtractive synthesis, and mixing. If you want to cheat like vaporwave retards just download a load of 80s music, sample insultingly large chunks of it slowed down, and put a shit beat behind it.

>clyp.it/ustpu5d4
Industrial/dark house...
I like it.

>look for samples on YouTube
>find the perfect shit
>go to the comments
>"Damn where does 'X producer' even find this shit? hahaha"

Any Renoise users here? Seems like the DAW is pretty much dead and I'm looking for a good replacement. Most tracker software seems outdated, is there a good alternative for tracking?

Worked on this for half an hour. Not the best at this shit, especially getting the leads to mesh with the rest of the track. I'd love advice on that clyp.it/klwlcctr?token=ef528ba573790eee10da97d67cf7ba7d

did a stupid little pink floyd flip, any input appreciated
clyp.it/r3t4qehs

Also did some bonobo type shit, feel like it's missing something to make it more interesting
clyp.it/mclghgto

I'm a Renoise user. In what way is it dead?

One of the devs is too busy with other projects and the last update had been since end 2015 I think. There hasn't been any news about upcoming updates or whatever.

Really fucking sucks because I love music trackers and renoise has lots of features that can still make it match up to modern daws. Right now it's still lacking some features like side chaining, luckily the signal follower trick works but it doesn't sound exactly as I want it to be.

Yeah for mixing its not the best. I rewire into Ableton to do that stuff. For everything else though its almost perfect. Pretty sure you aren't going to find a more efficient method of programming musical information than a tracker.

Trying to do intricate drum programming or automation in a traditional DAW is an exercise in frustration.

This is from a while back. I'd definitely call it experimental sample based hip hop. It's about suicide/self destructive tendencies.
clyp.it/q5hqt2yg

are there any VSTs that emulate turntable scratching with different audio files?

>subtractive synthesis
Lol, how is that so important for such a gimmick that is shillwave? You just find some bunch of "atmospheric" sample packs and retro FM synth and Ableton Live and you're set.

soundcloud.com/syhrxa/scarab-mistra-20210217

>reverse music

sticking around this thread tonight, post your work

i also use renoise

>intricate drum programming
how do you do this?

I use renoise but I make dumb music

youtube.com/watch?v=xECUrlnXCqk

what about this?
clyp.it/ci3zq5k4

>Trying to do intricate drum programming or automation in a traditional DAW is an exercise in frustration.

Tell me about it. All I've got to work with is a secondhand copy of Audition 3.0

how are trackers any more efficient than a regular daw? isn't it just a different view (scrolling numbers vs scrolling notes or automation points) for what is essentially the same process?

Because what he posted is clearly based on 80s sounds and all classic 80s analog synths were subtractive, as are the majority of VSTs.

Program a normal drum beat for whatever style of music it is you are doing, with just one kick, snare, and hat sound each. Then go through and change the instrument values so you are switching hits, don't do it randomly though, do it in rhythmic patterns. Use stuff like clicks and beeps as well as normal hits and use the fade out function in Renoise's wave editor to get tighter decay on the hits.

Get a load of drum breaks and sample the hat/ghost snare/hat/ghost snare parts and layer them in. Delete hits so most of the time you only have one playing on any given timestep (i.e. linear drumming).

Use the Rxy command to do little fills and glitchy bits, Bxx and Uxx/Dxx also useful. Turn on/off VST devices using X000/X001.

Once you have a decent pattern, copy it a few times and make variants.

clyp.it/trygnqi1

Been working on this track for a while, and I'm almost finished. Any thoughts? I'm really happy with the beat and hte overall sound quality

The input system mainly. You want to input a note in Ableton: double click on a grid and then drag/move to its desired position and length, in Renoise: type two characters.

Changing velocity: fiddle about dragging little bars vs type two characters.
Going off grid for swing: turn grid off, zoom in, drag to place vs type two characters.
Cutting up breaks/samples: selecting, copying, dragging vs type three characters.

Similarly with pitch bend, aftertouch, panning and so on. Also doing things like hit/synth switching in a normal DAW is a pain in the arse, having to have one track per instrument is dumb.

Should i buy this little fella?

If not what other affordable synths should i go for?

>How bullshit is the result?
On scale from 1-10?
About a 5. It's not too bad, but it's not too good either.

anyone know how to clean up samples?

Volcas are great starter synths, so if you're new to synth stuff I'd say try it out, they're loads of fun. I've got a volca beat and I love the little guy.

Bleep Labs makes some super small analogue synths that are deffo affordable. My nebulophone isn't the most practical thing in the world, but it does make some super fat sounds.

Can you be more specific?

i got the volca bass, is great, and im eyeing this one cause its kind of cheap but it looks more complex than the other volcas, the sample one would be my second choice, (i dunno if you can load your own samples but i guess so)

i don't have a lot of money though, and if i don't go for this one i would go for another one in a similar range, but i dont know if they are really worth it in quality-price as the volca series

>tfw shitty laptop has no microphone input
>borrow USB microphone from flatmate
>it's impossible to not have the recorded sound be delayed for a few milliseconds and simultaneously be played in FL so I lose my rhythm almost immediately

It worked with a shittier USB microphone I had earlier. Why is it not working this time?

Sounds like your ASIO buffer size is too large

like if there's a shit ton of reverb. Is there anything you can do to get rid of that shit?

So I should just set it to something lower?
I'll try it later and see if it works. Maybe I need to fiddle around with other things, too.

if this doesnt work dont monitor what you record and then move it till its on time

You want it as low as it can go without introducing audio dropouts/crackling.

512 samples is ~11ms so if the latency sounds much longer than that, there's something else going on.

What bothers me most is that I can hear what I am speaking into the mic but with a slight delay. So this leads me to stumble on my own words. I also tried a lot of stuff to mute this but it seems like I can not record AND have the channel muted.

>What bothers me most is that I can hear what I am speaking into the mic but with a slight delay
yep thats why you shouldn't monitor it

drop the volume or route it to another audio channel and drop the volume of the second one if volume of the recording channel affects the recording volume

Not really. Certainly not well. You could try converting from L/R to mid/side and then lowering the volume on the side channel as reverb is often quite stereo rich, but it will be artifacty as fuck if it even works at all.

acon digital deverberate

When I drop the volume the recorded part is of that volume.

>or route it to another audio channel
Wait, what?

I dunno if F L can, but it should, look for it "route audio to other channels",

Basically the trick would be you send the audio to another channel so you can keep the recording volume in the level you want, but before reaching the master and going to your monitors/headphones your audio travels to a secondary channel in which you drop the volume and this doesn't affect hte volume you are recording at, but does not send the audio to the mas ter therefore you don't hear it, therefore you don't stumble

I will look into that. Thanks!

yo it worked pretty well! The reverb is gone, and it doesn't sound too wonky to me. Thanks user.

Surprised it worked lol. You could also see if you get better results using this thing. I'd not heard of it before but it looks pretty handy.

how do i make full tracks? I can only seem to get short loops going.

what do you think of this I just made it
clyp.it/d4f5v25w

How can I choose the presets on third-party plugins in Ableton? Google isn't helping.

Look at your device status panel - FL Studio ASIO is adding another 68 milliseconds of latency to your signal chain.

If your USB mic has an ASIO driver listed on the manufacturer's website, install it and use that instead of FL Studio ASIO, if not then use ASIO4All (also built into recent FL Studio versions).

FL Studio ASIO is a last resort and is shite at reducing latency.

Oh, yes, of course. I used it with ASIO 4 All and it had the problem. I will look up to see if there's an ASIO driver for the microphone.

try copying the structure of a basic song u like

nice death grip

so will the intro pastebin ever be updated? It's lacking in almost half it's links.

When i use the asio4all driver on audio settings, i cant her audio from youtube on my pc, just can hear audio from fl studio

Any way to fix this?

I always thought this was more of a feature than a bug.

I think it's supposed to do that

ASIO4All (like native ASIO drivers) bypass your PC's audio mixer layer(s) to allow the application using ASIO to communicate directly with your audio device with lower latency - while ASIO is active it has exclusive control over your device so the standard Windows mixer is locked out.

It's by design that it does this - if ASIO plugged into the Windows mixer like all other applications do then you'd be able to play sound from all of your other applications but at that point ASIO would be slowed down by the very thing it was designed to bypass.

Think of it as a way of making you concentrate on making your music.

they offered me the totally legit *GUARANTEED* 1000 likes and AT LEAST 300 REAL followers, and that i had to play some retarded game (and then most likely spam their message so they don't get banned (until they eventually did))

>4 exposure
>literally twitter.com/forexposure_txt
fuck you, pay me first

Made this chill beat while waiting for the space station to flyover tonight. Thoughts?
clyp.it/peifjsmz

Do you guy recommend having "loudness equalization" turned on in Windows while mixing?

>but every time I try to type letters like q,w,e,r,t,y,u,i,o,p or so it plays a note and doesn't write anything. How do I fix this? I have FL Studio 12.
HOW

ARE YOU PEOPLE

THIS FUCKING RETARDedDEdeD

no i turn all of that bullshit off

no. turn that shit off.

everything on my computer has seemed really quiet recently, but turning that on made everything sound normal?
on for listening to music, off for mixing maybe?

What "loudness equalization" does is essentially add a compressor/limiter to your audio output. It sounds "normal" because it's louder all of the time, but you're losing dynamic range in the trade-off.

What are you using, speakers or headphones?

headphones, ath-msr7

Pretty dope user, what do you flip this from?

I'm assuming you mean where'd I get the sample.
youtube.com/watch?v=rjxR9fJUP8g

There's lots of good bits in there.

What's that sound hanging out in the back? Is it a rainstick?

Sounds like static, could be a transposed rain recording too

>spending this much on headphones when you dont even know what loudness equalisation is

fuckkk

It's dry leaves rustling.

Vocals kind of rough in some places I know

clyp.it/uozob05g

nah, i just normalize the master mix to -3.0 dB