Just saw Full Metal Jacket for the first time and loved it, what's Sup Forums's opinions on it?

Just saw Full Metal Jacket for the first time and loved it, what's Sup Forums's opinions on it?

I think that the whole film would have worked as just the boot camp but it was nice to see the recruits develop into killing machines.

Also what was the significance of the sniper girl at the end? She was a gook who shot 3 of their friends who cares what happens to her, she was gonna die anyway so there was hardly any morality in it.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qk4rPnfOdHA
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I am surprised, most people on Sup Forums say "JUST SAW THIS CLASSIC MOVIE FOR THE FIRST TIME IN 2016,

It was crap.

Like one viewing of a movie for the first time makes them an expert.

Anyways, She was a little girl. Death of the innocents. It also helps to reinforce the "BORN TO KILL" idea.

America trained men to fight against untrained girls.

I think it talked about the duality of humans.

Joker goes full apocalypse now Kurtz style in the sequel book.

>innocent

The First half was just way better than the second one

There is no such thing a innocence, especially during war.

It was a good movie, and I really liked the ending.

totally agree, the film seems to be remembered for the first half with the second half just existing for closure on the only relevant characters' story

You're telling me that a 12 year old girl has sins? There's a reason we don't charge children with crimes.

They're not full aware of the actions and the consequences. To not have the experience and foresight of the future, one is only aware of the short term and innocent/ignorant of the full world around them.

unless you're implying that since she's not white she's guilty of the crime of a being foreign... I know you americans think that's something that people should be killed for.

It wasn't a war

It was the USA invading a free country and murdering civilians

Not that it's bad ending, it's just not the climax one would expect from a Vietnam movie. It's suppose to be triumphant battle of victory.

Not a grim anti-climax that doesn't reveal the "horrors of war" with amazing shoot out and explosions helicopters and motor fire... Like Operation: Dumbo drop.

It's an anti-climax, of a bunch of men walking around singing mickey mouse. It's a movie with a payout that isn't what you wanted, but that's HOW THE CHARACTERS FEEL.

They went to war to kick some ass... not shoot children.

The little gook shits sins were wasting Cowboy and Eightball

Whose home was it.

is this some hot new post-ironic copypasta or an imdb comment?

It was the US trying to make the commies get the fuck out of Asia.

Which they did.

>Which they did.
You what? The very last "communist" country is located in Asia

Are you fucking stupid? They lost the war and Asia is mostly communist

holy shit the delusion

First, I'm not an american. Second, I meant it as that no soldier in war is truly innocent, not that everyone in it isn't. I exspressed myself the wrong way, my bad.

I know 'Muritards started it and all that. That war was a waste of many lives, such a shame really.

Kids can't understand the intricate and complex consequences of their actions. That's what the movie was about. You can blame a 12 year old for killing, but the war wasn't on american soil.

You would do the same thing in reverse, but it's interesting that people see her as having sin, when they're defending their country against foreign invaders, something that USA holds in their constitution as one of the most important rights.

The untrained child is a sinner, they trained killers are innocent.

Vietnam now has a McDonalds on every street.
>North Vietnamese casualties: 1,489,000

>US/South Vietnamese casualties: 429,000

Another win for capitalism and democracy.

Thank us later, Vietnam.

No it's opnion about a movie that came out fucking decades ago m8. It's just most people don't understand that FULL METAL JACKET is one of the most anti-war movies ever made. That is flies under the wire as being pro war is proof.

>what is the fall of Saigon?

FMJ is probably kubrick's most overrated movie. i never really liked it that much. it just falls apart in the third act.

That you consider the 12 year old a soldier really debates what innocents is. That is't not even the soldiers that lose innocent. She's victim, but since she picked up a gun/was given a gun, she's now a soldier.

She's nothing on par with the training you saw in the first half of the film.

That could have been her first time. It's not like she chose to sign up to become a Viet Kong.

>Viet Kong
Its Vietcong but now I can't help but picture Donkey Kong swinging through the jungle throwing grenades at Americans

>get a 3 k/d ratio
>get out
>a few years later they adopt capitalism

How is that not a total victory?

Definitely an entertaining and thoroughly memorable film, also one of Kubrick's weakest IMHO

as per usual it has some great shots, i particularly loved the extended low tracking shot as their platoon is moving into the city alongside the tanks

I feel like I'm being memed on

>invade country
>slaughter villages
>continue to slaughter villages
>burn people en masse using
>use all the latest weaponry to slaughter villagers
>get mad when a native fights back with a 40s era rifle and wastes your ""elite"" marines

>mfw Americans unironically believe they invented capitalism
>mfw Americans think they won the Viet Nam war
>mfw an American was fat near me

it really is one of his weakest movies. some people say the shining is one of his weakest, but at least the shining is entertaining throughout it, full metal jacket just goes to shit once boot camp is over.

Falls apart?

It lost it's meaning?

It's a movie that doesn't follow the tropes that A LOT of movies followed. It's why it commonly gets misinterpreted. It wasn't an action movie, and it NEVER pretended it was. It was a drama that had a strong and bold message.

It was probably Kubrick's most Cohesive message in a movie. Almost every other movie Kubrick did was style of content, and this is on par with Dr. Strangelove.

2001 had a esoteric ending, Shining had a confused message that pissed off King even, Clockwork Orange didn't even mention the title in the movie. Eyes Wide Shut was more of the same of just stylistic movie.

Full Metal Jacket was a satire of the normal war movie. They don't show the hell of training, they don't show the reality of anti-climactic battles. It's not a "deep" movie it's just a "bad" movie since it doesn't give you what you want.

>full metal jacket just goes to shit once boot camp is over.
Pleb

This

>vietnam movie
>doesn't play "it aint me"

Why doesn't Kubrick meme more?

I know she was just defending her country, and herself in the first place, but she took lives, so she isn't innocent. Non of 'em are during war. But, in cases like hers, it is justifiable.

It could'ev been her first time, but it also doesn't have to be. I get what you're saying, and I kinda agree with you, but I still can't consider a person who killed another person innocent. I just can't.

This is why you Americans are fucking dumb.

You think you're getting your "history" from a fucking movie.

On the other hand, as a son of a viet ex pat who fled the communists, I thank each and every one of the veterans who fought.

Without the war, Vietnam would be a vassal of china CPC and we would never have our economic prosperity that we have today.

I love it. Like most people, I prefer the first half more, but I've come to appreciate the second half as well. And the ending is one my favorite ever. Not just the thousand-yard stare from Joker, but the soldiers singing that mickey mouse song gave me chills.

>Vietnam
>economic prosperity

youtube.com/watch?v=qk4rPnfOdHA

i get what he was trying to do, and i still think it just fall apart because the commentary kubrick was going for is just...typical.

you're right that this is one of the few movies where he actually ends the damn thing properly with a clear message.

i still just don't like it that much, i'd rather just watch apocalypse now

mickey mouse means bullshit, is that why he put that as the last scene in the movie?

OP here again,
I haven't seen many Kubrick films at all and I'm wondering what to watch next out of Clockwork Orange, 2001 and The Shining.

I've already seen Dr. Strangelove.

The second half of the movie was way better than the first.

First was just bland drill guy shouting silly things and a fatlord being fat and snapping.

All 3 are good options, so is Eyes wide shut

I'd watch them all if I was you

Add Eyes Wide Shut to your list, it's good as well.

I'd probably say A Clockwork Orange or The Shining first, then watch 2001.

idk why people always say the movie only has two parts to it, it's really three

boot camp, war propaganda satire, and an anti climactic 'realistic' battle

will do, also is 2001 really as esoteric as everyone says it is?

Wouldn't say so. It has a lot of visual storytelling, and it is easier to understand if you've read the novel, because Kubrick doen't really like to explain things.

no, not at all. it's not a very difficult movie to understand, the final part of the movie is the only esoteric part of it. the only other element that some might not understand is the monolith

take those things out of the movie and what you are left with is a simple story. the movie is more of a visual storytelling "epic" so keep that in mind

Watch paths of glory 3 times.

A masterpiece

One of my favorites

Put clockwork at the back of your kubrick backlog.

its edgelord mediocre

The scene was contrasting Joker with Animal Mother and their attitudes about revenge and mercy.

Joker was also still a kid

The last third is the best part
Also The Shining is definitely one of his weaker movies
I'd put FMJ above it, though it's a far cry from being one of his best

>Vietnam
>language sounds like gay Hong Kong man with cold
>mud huts
>prosperity
At least you learned that we are superior to you. And the word your father was is not expat, it's emigrant. Learn English. Emigrate = to leave
Immigrate = come to
As in your father emigrated out of Vietnam to immigrate to the USA where he received more freedom than he knew what to do with and finally went to see a dentist and learn a civilized tongue.

Post Kubrick rankings
2001>Barry Lyndon>EWS>Strangelove>PoG>>FMJ>The Shining>Clockwork>Lolita

Still have a few to watch

>I think that the whole film would have worked as just the boot camp
Fuck OOOOOOOFF