Can we all agree that hendrix is overrated as fuck?

can we all agree that hendrix is overrated as fuck?

especially in the guitar playing community

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=26HLgXWF-Co
amazon.com/Jimi-Hendrix-Experience-Box-Set/dp/B00307QWG6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1491872648&sr=8-1&keywords=jimi hendrix box set
rateyourmusic.com/list/warpigcat/allan_holdsworth___i_knew_that_he_plays_on_many_albums_but_look_here____/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>can we all agree
no
regardless of what comes after those four words, the answer is always no

Not if those godforsaken liberals get their way

yeah those darned liberals and their desire to end arguments.

For Hendrix not to be overrated, his songs would pretty much have to make the lame walk and the blind see.

>whammy bar meme nigger

>can we all agree that hendrix is overrated as fuck?
top tier pleb post

i don't think he is the greatest songwriter by any margin

his song were more pop-blues. if you want to compare it to rock n' roll then he was good but not good enough to call him greatest of all time

HOW FUCKING DARE YOU

he's not overrated as a guitarist. he's literally the GOAT electric guitar player. not a meme, just a fact.

He played the guitar like no other, as if it were an extension of himself. No one is or ever will be on his level, theres no need to be upset about it.

no

He is the actual GOAT guitarist though, his production work was top notch, his charisma was palpable, and his compositions a decade ahead of their time.

again, im not saying hendrix was shit.
he was a very very good artist, and by extension a guitar player
but saying he was GOAT just bothers me, especially after listening to various bands and singers over the years

>can we all agree that clapton is overrated as fuck?
FTFY

clapton is overrated too, but not in the same level as jimmy

Often imitated
Never duplicated.

Hendrix is one of those cliche's that's actually true. He is the greatest rock guitarist to ever live. I've yet to see someone get even close to blending rhythm and lead playing like he did. Anyone who disagrees doesn't play guitar or doesn't and a decently high level

stevie ray vaughan?

True, but Jimi did it first.

He's the most underrated of the overrated though.

I hate noodling, so personally I don't like him or any other rock guitarist.

counterpoint, counter melody and chord melody is what gets me going youtube.com/watch?v=26HLgXWF-Co

I will concede that he's overrated in the guitar playing community, but that's only because all dadrockers are overrated by the guitar playing community.

I mean, you could argue people like clapton, beck, page, green, did the guitar heroism shenanigans before hendrix but we get it you cant play guitar for shit and you stick to the rudimentary scales and arpeggios but no excuse for the modern skill level to be barely above harrison who had to get clapton to do his solos

anyway the only person to carry albums based on his virtuoso musicianship, creativity, and transcension of rigid structures guitarists find themselves in

just because you play in 4.3/7 doesn't mean you played anything worth a shit

every note is supposed to mean something but blues is way beyond your comprehension if you cant even understand the psychedelic blues revivalism of the 60's , you want the three chord pop starlets of the 50's of the white man trying to kill black music by his spineless thievery and 2nd rate imitations

psychedelic blues revivalism otherwise known as rock

you are garbage musicians, it's a hobby for you, stop talking like you know anything plox

Clapton is far more overrated that Jimi.
Worst member of the best band he played in.

Overrated in general

Michael Schenker is best guitar player
Made better songs
Still alive

WIN

you probably prefer rumors era fleetwood mac dont you, you piece of a garbage

It depends on how many people are "all", two folks can easily agree on something for instance

>literally played guitar for 12 years with a 3-4 year main musicical career and still hasn't been topped

12 fucking years

well he used to fall asleep playing guitar and wake up playing guitar

I see that expression is still around from the other thread a couple of days ago.

Are we on to a new meme, perhaps?

>can we all agree that hendrix is overrated as fuck?
fuck no. just listen to his music. the man mastered his instrument.

He was a better guitarist than he was a singer. His singing is overrated

He's probably over rated to people who don't play guitar.
If you start playing guitar you'll start to see his genius and appreciate his music a lot more.
Definitely not over rated.

exactly this.

/thread

t. 10+ year guitarfag

>I've never seen someone else do this
>this person did it
>but they did it after so it doesn't count

>implying thats not how it works more or less
originality is important

Only Zappa comes close. Zappa once "imitated" Jimi's playing in front of Jimi, whose jaw hit the floor.

Everyone else just repeats their pet licks over and over.

This. He expanded tremendously guitar effects, so much so i would not hesitate to call his work revolutionary, in a career that spanned only a few albums no less

He's probably the most influential electric guitar player of all time, and one of its most expressive and unique.

He was also very inventive with his production approach, and a good songwriter/arranger. But it's his guitar that sets him apart from everything else. If you need to be convinced of that, listen to Machine Gun.

>end argument
>fake consensus
Pick one. Globalists amirite?

>"globalist", "liberals"
Yeah that's cool kid. Now GTFO

If I could bring one artist back from the dead, it would be Jimi Hendrix

I think the that jimmi's talents lie as being a front man

then his singing skills

followed by his guitar skills

there's nothing technically [[[[hard]]]]] about the songs he plays however

*tasty riff blocks your path*
yeah momma now dig""

he has a really unique sound

jimmi was just one of those people who will be attached to the medium of music for ever like bach or something

very unique act

>bands and singers
We're discussing guitar-playing. Within popular music, no other guitarist was as innovative, revolutionary, and influential as Hendrix -- and to think within a four-year period.

SRV never reconciled or straddled as broad a range of styles. Hendrix's wielding of noise and feedback far eclipse any of the admittedly great blues playing of SRV (and Hendrix played blues better anyway)

>Only Zappa comes close. Zappa once "imitated" Jimi's playing in front of Jimi, whose jaw hit the floor.
Sauce? Sounds like a fun anecdote

Hendrix was great at music... I mean yeah, he's overrated in the sense that he's not literally some demigod, but he was great. His best stuff isn't even his most famous stuff... check out the 1983 suite or the studio version of Star Spangled Banner with multiple guitar layers

>the studio version of Star Spangled Banner with multiple guitar layers
Can u link me?

He made the guitar sound like it wasn't a guitar with barely any effects.

Fuck no.

It's on this boxset. If you have Amazon Prime you can give it a listen i think

Forgot link lol
amazon.com/Jimi-Hendrix-Experience-Box-Set/dp/B00307QWG6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1491872648&sr=8-1&keywords=jimi hendrix box set

average blues rock

can we all agree that you're an aids ridden faggot?

especially in the aids ridden faggot community

It's the one that the other user linked, from the 4-CD box set. I've never been able to find it on YouTube or any of the other standard sources, unfortunately.

THE MORE I GROW IT'S LIKE THE LESS I KNOW. BUT IM PRETTY SURE JIMI HENDRIX HAD A BEAUTIFUL SOUL.

What a gay post

U must be a retarded

Of course he's underrated, ignore all the underage meme posts who say he's not theyre literally here for memes and can't play a single chord themselves.

He's reddit's artist for the sole purpose that he's a darkie

overrated*

Jimi Hendrix is significant because his wild, abrasive, discordant, and cacophonous guitar playing ran antithetical to the rules of melody and harmony that had defined Western music for centuries.

His ritualistic and destructive performances would create and destroy an effigy representing the confusion and anxiety of 1960s American youth who were facing new questions of nationality and identity in turbulent times.

In exhausting the sounds of his instrument, he would transform the guitar into an intuitive extension of himself. Then the two are destroyed in sacrifice (the instrument is lit on fire).

The only other guitar player to come close in terms of synergy with and exhaustion of their instrument is Marc Ribot.

>72089365
'

CHET
ATKINS

his shit literally sounds like it's multitracked

found out its single tracked and its like "heh you just never get to be that good, heh"

As usual, first post best post.

It's always the liberals around here. Can't we ever find any Anarcho-collectivist folk to beat up?

>blues is way beyond your comprehension
old blues yes. but anyone who rips blues or plays it at high speeds nowdays considered to be a blues player.
i swear the more i hear new blues artists the faster their playing gets, the fuck is this trend.
blues was already polished by the time hendrix hit the scene so i don't he wasn't all that creative for playing blues like power chords

Cream?

I feel like all the members of cream were fairly on par with one another.

Do any of you fuck face narcs even play an instrument or do you think you can accurately gauge music?

wew lad
is this a touchy subject for you?
can you honestly say frank zappa,pink floyd aren't creative or technically sound as hendrix was?

>frank zappa,pink floyd aren't creative or technically sound as hendrix was?

What does that have to do with Hendrix being overrated? Saying "X artist is bad because Y artist that sounds nothing like him exists and is talented" is the worst criticism ever.

Do yourself a favor and listen to Allan Holdsworth. He's reinvented his sound many times during his career - Soft Machine days, solo albums, U.K. His chord voicings and melodies are what most guitar players can't even dream of, forget actually playing. Here's a list of collaborations he's done:
rateyourmusic.com/list/warpigcat/allan_holdsworth___i_knew_that_he_plays_on_many_albums_but_look_here____/

im saying he might have lots of depth in his playing but overall his music wasn't better

I used to think like you OP when I first got my guitar back in high school

I was wrong

He's the absolute GOAT instrumentalist

Seconding Marc Ribot, I fucking love him.

Anyway, technically what set Hendrix apart was him pretty much playing rhythm/lead all the time in an expressionistic way, there was nothing like it and few artists after him did it. Also he was a great song writer with an extensive, naturalistic, encyclopedic knowledge of the music he played, and pushed the boundaries of studio rock music with his last two albums.
He was one of the first to pioneer the idea of the studio as an instrument, and really really took care working on Axis and Electric Ladyland.

i'll check out your meme boy over here

he's overrated, because so many people have copied him over the years

>Everything is a meme
>Oh, boy, do I love the Internet

he was a fucking genius, any other word to describe him is falling short

no, and anyone who says so is just trying to be edgy bc deep down they know its not true. as far as talent and creativity goes, jimi is a fucking legend.

Probably rated just right. Most 20th century musicians are rated just right.

All popular musicians tend to be overrated by the public themselves.

what was the last great musician we've had? was it Aphex Twin?

>see a post sperging about a musician
>someone took the time to recommend this guy and link their rym
>might as well check him out
>type that i will check out said recommended musician so they don't think no one gave a shit
>decide to call said musician a "meme boy" as an offhand remark while saying i will listen to him
>autist spergs out about me using the word meme
>makes reddit-tier greentext
>respond with self-aware reddit-tier green text

That's some effort you don't see very often.
6/10

He's the absolute GOAT

Whether you like it or not, he reinvented rock guitar using excessive loudness and feedback. He also was forward thinking with production in his time. People that call him whammy bar meme nigger probably pretend the kinks or stones were good or that he didnt blow the who out of the water

Can we all agree that OP should be anally raped by a bulldozer?

>this guy
>overrated
Uncultured plebs

hell no

he's rated just right: as a legend

Explain how soft machine peaked before he even joined
Kek, poor mans thugger desu

>Whether you like it or not, he reinvented rock guitar using excessive loudness and feedback.
stole it all from the who

Mozart

checkmate libtards

>Explain how soft machine peaked before he even joined
I was trying to make people listen to him. I think he's not very well known and not appreciated enough for his contributions to the instrument.

I feel like I'm walking into a room of dads circlejerking over the 'good old days'

Maybe live shticks but fucking on record hell no. Listen to voodoo chile or machine gun, he made waves of sustain that went beyond rock n roll guitar licks and riffs.

(You)

Sorry about your poor relationship with your father user

I hope you and him can finally talk again one day

Prince did everything he did better

Both are overrated actually

>Prince
>overrated
only Purple Rain is overrated.