For some reason, we all drive cars instead of helicopters, when helicopters are much faster...

For some reason, we all drive cars instead of helicopters, when helicopters are much faster. Why didn't helicopters take-off as personal transport?

Most people can barely control a car and you want them flying around at 150mph with a giant spinning blade. Sounds reasonable.

This pretty much sums up everything I was going to say.

Plus there would be five 9/11s every day.

Beacause flying helicopters isnt as easy as people think nigger

Helicopters, are dangerous as fuck. It's a literal death machine if ANYTHING goes wrong. As with planes, you can at LEAST glide down to your small chance of survival.

Helicopters can also glide down its called autorotation

Yeah and then increase the throttle at the last second. You don't use auto-rotation the whole way.

Because of flying spinning knife blades of death?

That's not gliding nigger

fuel consumption

autorotation

Shut up nigger close enough

This

And its not throttle its collective you uneducated nigger

see

You can sort of autorotate most 'copters. As soon as power fails, thow the collective pitch to slightly below zero and hang the fuck on. It will keep the rotors spinning fast enough that as you approach the earth you can bring the. collective back up, and dump the momentum of the rotor into downthrust, and change your outlook from "pie filling" to "a few broken bones". It's not ideal, sure, but it's what you got.

Helicopters aren't natural fliers. Fixed wing kit will, naturally, keep flying. Helicopters basically hate flying.

Shut up faggot it works on all helicopters

Better on some than others, I'm told. How many have you crashed?

According to all known laws of aviation, there is no way that a helicopter should be able to fly. Its wings are too small to get its fat little body off the ground. The helicopter, of course, flies anyways. Because helicopters don't care what humans think is impossible

Insanely difficult to fly, you have to be fully engaged as much as any other manouver, just to stay still. Extremely precise shit, snychronized, so anything goed wrong with the tail and you have no chance. You'd have very little influence on the flight/crash on a disaster compared to gliding a plane down. And I think they have taken off for people that can have those skills or pay for them, and the helo and all the maintenance etc costs.

>last second
it's not a rocket
>You don't use auto-rotation the whole way.
Why would you?

From what Im reading in this thread, I'm beginning to envision a nature show based on helicopters.

Have you never seen a toy helicopter? They're not THAT hard to fly. Bigger ones are a bit more complicated, but slower. As for flying with no tail rotor, you can do that with most helicopters as long as you keep moving forward. Landing is then hard, yes, but doable.

And of course there's the possibility of the engine being fine, but a blade or the whole rotor separating.

Then you're really fucked. Fuckety fuckety fucked.
> Pic related

Fpbp

Exactly. I don't want these same idiots that can barely drive flying around above my house.

Yea 10000 pound objects dont glide like the movies. They fall

MOTHERFUCKER DONT DISCRIMINATE AGAINST ME BECAUSE I IDENTIFY AS AN ATTACK HELICOPTER

because maintaina heli is expensive as fuck, thrust me i am a aircraft mechanic

That particular helicopter burns through its whole tank (500 L) in about 4 hours.

Jet A usually sits around $1.70 so thats like $120 an hour

It's falling with style

Fuck you bitch

Love you

too expensive

take up too much space in the air, they would crash a lot for aircraft