What's the worst jazz album you've ever heard?

What's the worst jazz album you've ever heard?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/yS5p4M08jJs
youtu.be/br0yWgjcxWQ
m.youtube.com/watch?v=HIlLpeIxbEM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Pic unrelated hopefully

A picture was never more related

wynton kelly with strings- coming through the back door

also if pic is related you are a very sad man.

Basically a blander version of his debut album.

I'd say "Lite Me Up" or "The Imagine Project" but calling those jazz would be a stretch.

"experimental big band" is the fucking worst

>inb4 everybody just posts popular jazz albums that they found overrated rather than the actual worst

Love Supreme
King of Blue
Black Saint and Sinner Lady

Am I doing it right OP?

BBNG's debut if that even counts.

Whatever that "aesthetic" japanese album with the red cover is. 2 bland 4 me

you've heard 15 jazz albums tops if that's the case

BBNG's first two albums were pretty good though if you take them as instrumental hip hop

No exact count but I know I've heard at least 400

>disliking fire! orchestra and experimental big band
Pleb detected

it has gretchen moncur, can it really be that bad? though the band seems aliitle weird.
kek
again, is it really that bad? though the only guy i like on there is taborn. kozlov is never great, commies dont swing.
oh yeah thats real bad

Fuck you I like Lite Me Up Herbie did nothing wrong.

>Herbie did nothing wrong.
He's done several things wrong.
Lite Me Up was diet MJ and sounded horrible.

None of the compositions are very good. When the first album had Watermelon Man and the album after has Mimosa and Succotash, it's easy for it to fail in comparison.

>commies dont swing
that's bullshit, funny how you were never around for a /blindfold/ to back your shit up

youtu.be/yS5p4M08jJs

Boom

I think I won!

ahh thats a shame. herbies made some great music but his batting average is spotty.
take it easy, it was more or less a joke. i posted in blindfolds to find out about records but never took part in the dick measuring. id listen to the recording later if what other people said about it sounded interesting. i didnt have a trip til like three days ago but ive posting in jazz threads for like a year.

if this was released in the 60's, it would be hailed as a masterpiece

This is the best track on the album. Aziz ansari plays the devil

youtu.be/br0yWgjcxWQ

>comedian skits on a jazz album

No thanks. I like music, not gimmicks.

How much can you take?

m.youtube.com/watch?v=HIlLpeIxbEM

how to get into NHOP???

too obvious?

4 seconds because free jazz is a waste of time.

What Would I Want? Sky
My Girls
Brother Sport

>"I like music"
>posts on Sup Forums
What did he mean by this?

idk how to identify the bad ones. i always struggle with all of them and sometimes i caught some great moments but idk which one is bad, while i's struggling to find out which one is good

i mean idk, i wanted to say Ascencion is bad but i realized i can't think that because patricians like this, so i was like "well i must've missed something. better try again next time. i'm too sleepy and tired for jazz tonight. maybe i don't like jazz ? i can't, i like music, i can't dislike jazz."

Any nu-jazz album. Fuck nu-jazz, it completely misses any of the wistful contemplation, spirituality, or fun that golden age jazz developed.

>but never took part in the dick measuring
It's frustrating to me that this is how /blindfold/ was perceived. Might have been part of why it failed. Whenever we were talking about it, there was a big emphasis put on inclusivity, not being elitist about taste/experience and people just saying what they felt about a piece, but it seems like we didn't promote that very well.

This album is so bad, it unironically changed my perspective on art and the world in general in a really positive way. I'm really glad I heard it, but I never want to hear it again.

Nobody remembers the worst, you just stop listening and forget about it.

Lel, why did you bother putting yourself through a whole album of Kenny G? Let alone, an album of him doing Christmas music?

Sup Forumstants are gonna think anything out of their comfort zone is either elitist or shit.

Journey in Satchidananda or the Freedom Now Suite

this album is fucking terrible

i love this one though

>posts list of Scaruffi's top 100 Jazz albums

>it unironically changed my perspective on art and the world in general in a really positive way
how? im genuinely curious.

>mfw reading this thread

Am I right in my assumption that this image isn't actually meant to suggest that your brain is lighter than air?

>i'm an airhead
huh

I was a bit of an avant teen before I heard that album and I put more weight on how unusual an album was than I did on how it made me feel.
I heard For Alto twice and I'd never had such a viscerally emotional reaction on my first listens to a piece. It just got me thinking a lot about how I was hearing music. I really wanted to love For Alto, cause I knew it was fucking batshit insane and when I started noticing that bias, I started questioning it.
It wasn't an immediate change but I think it marked a turning point in how I appreciate art and consequently a massive change in my taste and what I regard as my favourites.

RIP /blindfold/

Is your favorite jazz album the epic?

thats pretty awesome. but maybe an album which makes you feel that kind of way isn't really a 'bad' album.

This is true. I think it's bad in the same way I think Pulse Demon is bad as in: so unpleasant I can't stand it. They're both creative and well executed projects though.
I'm happy to acknowledge it as an important piece of free jazz history, a personally significant album and I see Braxton as an excellent and inventive player (both on For Alto and on some of my favourite records like The Iron Men and Conference of the Birds). I just can't get on board with what he's trying to accomplish on For Alto, and nowadays, that's what I constitute as "bad", ie. "not for me".

Hmm, that's one of my favorite jazz albums I've ever heard, I think it might even be my highest rated on RYM

As for worst, it's hard to say because I'm generally more harsh to jazz artists who put out much better stuff so anyone with a huge inconsistent discography like a Miles Davis will have some I really hate and some I love

But for just straight up awful, pic related comes to mind

>disliking Fire! Orchestra
Go the fuck away

Let me guess, it was the yodeling?

okay well ill listen to it and let you know if you're off base!

It's not even jazz.
And it's good.

>[Nuff Nuff phone posting]
I liked the idea of blind fold and didnt say dick measuring to mean that it shouldnt have been happening or something, i just never had time to listen to the play list. I actually started this trip cause im working on starting to run jazz generals or listen alongs. Im just trying to figure out how i want to go about it.

I remember jtg ran a listen along a few years ago, but it never really took off. The community is a little bigger and more tight knit nowadays tho, so it might work.
The main problem is, people are on different time zones and schedules so it'd be difficult to find a time that consistently suits everyone.
I was talking to Jazzpossu a while back and he said he'd be up for an album club type thing. It'd be like /blindfold/ but easier for people to put forward suggestions and for new people to join in. The playlists were very enjoyable and great for finding new music but quite high maintenance to make and listen to.
My thinking was that there could be one album that's not secret that people listen to whenever they get a chance over a week with a weekly thread where people can discuss and the next week's album can get voted on or something.
I'm heading into exam season atm though but if nobody had done anything similar by June, I'll probs try start something like this up.

Yeah i always thought blindfold was a bit hard to get into, even for long time jazz listener like me. Idk all i have to work off of now is one time i just said that im a jazz musician and ill answer questions or give requests and it generated some pretty good conversation and seemed to attract a lot of non jazz people so maybe ill try to run something like that for awhile and then turn it in to a listening club. Anyways people in that thread told me to start a trip and i noticed jazz threads decreasing so i figured id step in.
>nuff nuff

this album is garbage