Any electrical engineers here...

Any electrical engineers here? I have to declare my major soon and I want to do EE but I barely know any coding and want to know if that will fuck me up.

Other urls found in this thread:

computerworld.com/article/3017196/it-careers/u-s-predicts-zero-job-growth-for-electronics-engineers.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Are you a girl?

>asks about coding for EE
>coding
>EE

see are you retarded user? Sounds like poli sci is more your speed

no idea

I don't know if you're just being a dumbass or what the coding has nothing to do with electrical engineering

You'll open up a lot of job offers if you learn at least some basic coding. EE isn't just sitting in a dark room soldering circuits together.

Yeah nah m8 and you sure your smart enough for electricity m8 your gonna get zapped with that kinda level of dumb.

If you need to learn something, they'll likely teach it to you in classes. A few of my friends went the EE route and they did some low-level C programming, but it's not the primary focus. If you go for CE or CSE then it's more of a problem.

Alonso right, you'll be sitting in a dimly lit room doing math and physics

cb: belovedhoneybee

what a giant faggot.
EE doesn't requre an coding for the most part (other than some mathematical equations on Matlab or c#)

And even if it was required why are you so scared? just learn it. what a pussy.

No

Same girl?

I don't know what college you went to but EE's have to learn a good amount of coding. Not as much as comp sci obviously but still some.

See the above

Oh man, just look at the fucking moles..

i'm into it

Most of the EEs I know know C.

>me
>EE
>b out of school working for 8 years now
>knew fucking qbasic going in, and not even good
>learned bare minimum C in school, and some matlab (not even a language)
>worked for packaging equipment oem, programming plc's and designing control systems... didn't know how to program plc's, just told the manufacturer (allen-bradley) "no fucking idea how to plc, but if you train me I will buy your shit"
>free week of training, unlimited customer support from them on phone or at my site
>now I can PLC like a maniac
>shit was cash... hella overtime cash too

>ffwd two years, get hired by particle accelerator company
>learn on the job
>nuclear physics and shit
>everything from power systems, to plc's, to penning traps and high power RF design
>party
>will be here for life

high risk for cancer... marry with good life insurance policy

cash

>this new to life

Go into a management degree lots of hot bitches in those ones and they're always dumb as fuck

What?

Nah, they'd just lop off a tit and you'd be left with a really cranky/insecure slut of a wife.

Your job sounds dope user. How much does it pay?

Lol I'm ME and even I had to take a coding class. These anons don't know what they're talking about it.

But to answer your question op my friends seem to enjoy EE it's definitely not the hardest engineering field but there are some annoying aspects and if you hate dealing with circuits it'll be a nightmare.

Management? Might be crawling with dumb bimbos but sounds boring as shit.

EE isn't coding. You should probably just go for a liberal arts degree, because you definitely won't make it.

but... but so are all the dudes in a management degree.

Fuck if I had a dollar for every time a retard told me about synergy and kpi's, I would almost recover all the budget they waste on it.

Unless you're EE shut the fuck up. If you were you'd know yo have to learn some coding.

your question proves you're a fucking tard. Just take women's studies. You're going to end up there, anyway.

You try this and you'd better be top of your class, like perfect GPA and started a company / club in school.

Management degrees are WAY oversaturated for the market. Every bossy nigga tries this shit and business degrees are a gold mine for colleges.

tl;dr unless you are gifted af, business is a joke, you're gonna be grabbing coffees for years before you get your own account / paperwork hole to die in.

Some

It's not dedicated to coding however. A lot of engineering degrees call for a coding class.
But its just one class, so why is he asking for help.

And yes, I'm EE.

>engineer
>EE
>nuclear physics n shit
>plcs
>years experience
>hella overtime
fucking bank, user, fucking bank.

If we only knew what we should have known now ipanon.com

I got a EE and a CS; EE will need some coding but in general the EE majors can't code their way out of a paper bag. Above all, if you're afraid to learn to, just bail now. Near the end of EE senior design, we were told "Congratulations, you are now only 5 years behind industry." Every day is learning and you will use shockingly little of what you absorbed in class.

Good luck bro. Engineer master race.

>management degree as a serious option
LOL

Oh and EE in general has more hot girls than most engineering fields. All the bitties go Systems EE or BME

First job
$20/hr first three months, $26/hr after that, always plus 1.5x overtime, including when traveling (flying) and paid mileage to drive to customer sites

Current job
$70k/year salary plus bonus (usually around 10-15k), plus $40/hr overtime, paid to fly/travel (travel all over the world, usually once or twice a month). Get per diem of $100/day (or 100euros if in EU)

I enjoy it so generally I work a lot, make easily over 100k/year. I am based in a town with very low cost of living as well.

You can make much more than me doing similar work... I could too, but then I wouldn't be as happy.

My background is in physics, and I specialize in the "quantum electronics" department of my current job. I recommend learning how to code in LabVIEW, and some basic knowledge of how the common languages are structured helps a lot. I haven't learned Pascal, but I hear it's easy and useful.

Electromechanical engineer here

I'm in my 4th of 5 years and I want to drop out
But I'll power through it lel

*Python
not Pascal

My EE department has 6% women. Not much luck there for me.

pro tip,

LabVIEW is SJW-tier and only universities and useless government research organizations use it.

Literally any industrial SCADA package is better, mated to a PLC, industrial FPGA, and/or data acquisition system.

Exactly user, he said much more than the other departments.

If you guys are looking to find women IN the eng depts youre in for a bad time. Join bullshit design clubs and anything biomedical to meet the ladies.

user you are living my dream.

Not sure if this was typical of anyone else, but in my experience (school 9 years ago now, EE), the engineering department and the nursing school (who shared a similar but complementary issue) used to have mixers and pub nights constantly.

Problem solved. I did on-campus residence for my first year too though.

Truth. LabView is for dumbass physicists who like to pretend they know computers and aren't challenged for wasting $400/hr drawing pretty pictures.

What does SJW-tier even mean in this context? Do you have that DAQ system running on your Linux out of your HDMI-to-USB-to-ethernet adapter? Go back to poli-sci

You lucky fuck. That's AMAZING!

Both groups work crazy hours so that works out great! haha.

I'm an EE graduate student. I did my undergrad at UMass Amherst. Their EE program is actually fairly coding heavy. I was given an intro to Java course (part of the curriculum) and then expected to teach myself C for a few of the major projects. I wouldn't say that the coding was the most difficult part of the curriculum though. In EE you will learn circuit analysis/design, fields & waves, and signal processing which are more important and (in my opinion) challenging than anything coding related. Actually many of my colleagues in grad school talk about how they should have been software engineers because it's much easier to succeed in that field...

All in all I don't think a lack of coding experience is an issue for a prospective EE student. I just wouldn't recommend going into this field if you don't really have a passion for electronics or aren't prepared to invest a LOT of effort into learning your trade.

Lots of opportunities user. Just follow this advice:
-Don't be a dick
-Appreciate and respect people who are smarter than you. There are a lot of them. Even if they are dicks
-Work hard
-Be patient
-Teach others, don't hoard knowledge. Be enthusiastic about others learning cool shit.

And number one, above everything else... everything in your life:

No matter what "role" you were hired for. YOUR JOB IS TO MAKE EVERY ONE ELSE'S JOB EASIER

Help people out. stay late to help if they are behind, never throw them under the bus.

People like that, once they can get their foot in the door at one job, they tend to move up, get responsibilities, meet people, meet people in customer companies or other related companies, and then they get jobs by knowing people, and being liked as someone cool to work with.

Worked for me, and everyone I have ever hired or recommended to others.

end public school and all tax money to university

LabView is shit-tier amateur-hour

Proper industrial, not kludged-together bullshit, SCADA systems with solid hardware are far superior in function, stability, user-interface, and in massively reduced cost.

I do this shit day in and day out kid.

aww aspie got weeded out from uni and is bitter about it.
lol

Just fuck your shit up. It's fine.

I'm not a kid!1
Im almost 19 asshol !!11!

I had to learn all the way from circuit theory>electronics>analog electronics>digital electronics>digital systems>microcomputers.
So not only I had to learn high level coding such as C or pseudo languages, but I also had to learn machine language and ASM. Basically I'm capable of building a computer and code it myself. (In theory)

So yes, there's lots of coding.
Consider my specialty is power systems

This all depends on which university are u planning on enrolling onto though.

And I'm a piwer engineer

My mistake, can I buy you a beer...er... soda?

>uses "sjw-tier" and "kid" as insults
This Ad Hominem is almost as good as your No True Scotsman

You are the retarded one if you don't think electrical engineers need to learn coding. My major is Computer Engineering, which is very closely tied to Electrical Engineering. Electrical Engineers have to code in most of their classes.

You are gonna have to learn at least some level of coding for whatever you decide to do. EVERYTHING is on computers these days, and its only going to get worse.

If you are scared of learning do not become an engineer. It's non stop learning as a full time job.

computerworld.com/article/3017196/it-careers/u-s-predicts-zero-job-growth-for-electronics-engineers.html

Go start an electrical apprenticeship and get a trade like a real man.

High school drop out make no munys that's my life

And girls; I went to a small school *notorious* for no women (probably around 2:1 even today, isolated, science and engineering only). Save your autism for the library, turn your computer off, don't be a creep and you'll be fine.

Back when I was 8, decided I wanted to be an engineer (was always taking shit apart and re-purposing stuff...asked who makes stuff...not who built it, but who made it in the first place, lol)

I was so impatient about it, started as a technician my sophomore year of high school. Made mad cash, like stupid mad cash. By the time I graduated high school, I was making $36k (1981 money) and making design updates and modifications to other's flawed designs, as well as writing programs to deal with shit the hardware was not capable of doing.

I had a chance to go get a degree, but I landed a job as an engineering tech at a computer company, which led to an engineering tech job at a communications company...holy shit game on. Within a couple of years I'm getting paid $80k, doing design reviews and coming up with stuff the engineers never thought of. Also re-wrote the document control and design management software and practices used during the product life cycle leading to huge improvements in product quality.

By 1990, I'm making six figures, oh shit I forgot college!

Another user in this thread

said "make every one else's job easier", shit is cash. Especially if you improve quality and reliability.

I now work 80hrs/mo, get paid to travel, and still make a solid six doing engineering work. Always been my dream, always will...

Someone has their jimmies logically and philosophically rustled.

Depends.

If you attend to a good university, ofds are you're gonna have to learn how computers work from the basics. Keep in mind that before Computer Engineers ever existed, EE's used to to their job.

If you go to a mid tier or bad uni, with this bs majors like "electromechanical engineering", "tourism engineering" and made up bullshit like that, you'll only get like a single course of C, and most of your stay will be soldering stuff and doing tech work.

I had math and physics all the way up to modern physics, complex analisys, but I still had to learn low and high level coding. i had to program a SPICE simulator on C (Yes, C, not C sharp) with menus and all that for a high level course I had. Fuck this career I hate it

I dual majored in CpE/EE. The course work was tough but really rewarding. Engineering is a way different experience from a computer science degree.

That said, computer science jobs are where it's at. I interned one summer at Intel which I expected to be a mecca but it was kind of shitty. Full time pay was comparable to a middle of the road dev job in a decent city. Culture reflects the core of the company which is manufacturing. Eg, keep your hands on the handrails even when walking to the cafeteria.

I've worked at 2 software companies since and it's just way better gig. Pay is significantly higher on the high end and the work environment is way more enjoyable and gives you a way higher mobility.

so make sure to learn computers too I guess.

Did you even read the article?
>economy is shit, little growth everywhere
>this includes EE

Gee you convinced me, I'll drop out now.

Wtf 2:1 is so many fucking girls. At my Uni the engr dept has probably around 10% girls

What do you think of A&M? I wasn't going to get into MIT so that's as good as I could swing it.

Wrong way, math guy. 1700 undergrad, of which 4-600 are girls, mostly bio (aka just memorize shit)

tbh... you can make more money and get a more stable job as an industrial electrician trade.

I went to school for 3yr industrial automation technologist (electrical, plc, sensors, industrial robots...) got a decent job at a small conveyor OEM. Worked along side some electricians, they made more per hour than me.

Easily got an apprenticeship because of my schooling. You get paid to work+learn. Few years, got my full ticket. Started a company and now I do mostly design work for control systems, and have 6 guys working for me. Each one of them, by years experience, makes more than the typical EE.

EE's are like a revolving door at a lot of companies too.

There's a lot of truth here. Trades are often overlooked. My degrees were paid for by the state, but if they weren't I'd be in the Navy or a journeyman electrician. If you don't get a technical degree, college is a waste of time and money unless your family is rich.

What do you mean 400/1700 is still more than the 10% I said. You said 2:1 which is even more.

You have to do a bit of coding in EE. ME has no coding but matlab and CAD modeling

Ee have to code, usually in c, c++, maybe asm

>B.S. EE from an in-state school
>internship with DoD Agency
>Agency sponsored for TS/SCI
>resume on monster.com
>offersouttheass.jpg
>leverage BAE/Lockheed/etc offer's & get matching salary @ Agency
>starting engineer industry salary as a fed
>life's good
>3 hour early releases before holidays are the tits

Signal processing will use some Matlab.

I have two degrees, computer E. and EE.

Any stupid idiot can code in two days. Algorithmia, discrete mathematics, advanced automatons, multi threading planification, etc, it's the hard part. In other words: Actually designing a big piece of software.

Any idiot can put one brick after another and build a wall, but it takes an architect to design a house.

Coding is always useful just in case you need to write a script or something. Any E. of any type should know a bit of coding.

EE undergrad here. I interned for NASA and have published research, AMA

Coding has been extremely useful, although only two semesters of C++ were actually required (besides assembly)

>post proof

I don't have to prove anything to you niggers, miss your opportunity if you don't believe me

I also have two degrees, BFA in VFX and AA in CS.

I agree, any idiot can code but for some reason most are quite bad.

Coding for EE... You may have to take a VERY basic into to CS course to make you not retarded to Java or C++. Who knows, you may luck out and only have to draw pictures in LabVIEW

Good post. Although, All my signal processing courses or even intro to EE required matlab. EE's may also take courses to program microcontrollers or FPGA's.

don't worry kiddo, you'll be fine. if you know coding itll only put you ahead of your peers at the beginning

I never used matlab. Only scilab and octave.

One good thing about my university is they never forced me to use commercial software.

>but muh laboral world

I don't give a shit. If you know the underlying base, it is not hard to adapt them to any concrete metholodogy.

coding?
u misspelled general relativity+maxwell+math

CS graduate student, UBC. The need for you to write good code depends on essentially how close to SE you want to get.

Most of the EE grads that I know can't code for shit and it is not a problem for them. With that said you will need to know languages like VHDL and Verilog if you plan on designing circuits. Learning a programming language is not really that hard if you practice a bit, the key is to learn one language really well. If your going into EE I would suggest C, just because it never hurts to have it, and it's a good beginner language IMHO.

I know a bunch of software engineers. If by succeed you mean get a decent paying job then yes. The problem is most software engineers are too worried about their IDE's to ever write the important systems code that makes all the difference and earn the really above average bucks.

Also cheers if your into analysis. I've been deep diving into the formal verification of distributed systems for the last year and it has tones of meaty problems.

Sounds good. Why do you want to stay there for life and not intro other companies?

These people are retards. EE's code all the time. You don't need to know it ahead of time. You'll learn it in class.

I got 3 BS degrees from an ABET college. CS, EE and CpE. So I had to do a lot of coding even in my EE courses. The coding isn't hard. Learn the syntax and look at examples/notes. It's not hard.

What did your resume look like to intern for NASA?

Would like to know more about applying for internships like nasa

Coding is for degrees like computer science. You will barely be doing any coding......

I'm going into Electrical Engineering come Fall 2017, and I just wanted some advice if anyone could give some to me.

Any particular skill sets to look into. Like AutoCad, any specific physics or mathematics I should learn ahead of time?? Would love any advice you could give me.

I've been looking it up but everything I've seen is really about the jobs, salary, and tasks they do. Nothing about the day to day work.

ladder logic != coding
Hoping you picked up enough to understand that

Noice user-kun but when it comes to engineering jobs these days you'd be laughed at for even looking at a posting without a degree

Math is very important for the major. Yes coding is required especially in a Stem field major like ee. Many students take MATLAB and from what i hear it is very easy but boring. I would begin by learning the basics of coding, like variables and constants and how to create functions and loops. Physics is also important- try getting a physics book that the college requires and begin reading it to be ahead. Your first math classes will include pre-calc, calc 1 or calc 2 if you don't already have the credits. The most important thing is to FIND FRIENDS that are in your major or upperclass men that already have taken courses that you need to take. Cheers

Going say, we've got a time traveller here.
>Oldfag, FORTRAN, RPG, Pascal, Lisp