Montreal, la citte de miracles noir

Any Montrealians here?
{qui /Montreal/ ici?}

Im writing a story that takes place in your gorgeous city and I was hoping to get a few questions answered. Now, I've read what city guides I could online and all that but I need information from a living being who actually lives there.

What section of Montreal has the nightlife, and how would you describe this area in terms of looks and "feel"?

Is Little Burgundy still a shithole? What is the ethnic makeup of this area?

What kind of gangs do you guys have there?

Is Lachine Canal dotted with empty factories and docks or is it pretty much fully operational?

The Underground City. Fuckin, how does it work?

What is the arts and culture district called, and can you describe the "feel" of the area?

Is Maison Mere des Soeurs Grises still operational (o mort comme mon esprit)?

Where would someone go to stash, say, 30 dead bodies where nobody'd ever think to look?

Merci a tout, mes braves!

Do the characters speak french?

Do you speak french?

>What section of Montreal has the nightlife
rue ste-catherine / rue st-denis

>Is Lachine Canal dotted with empty factories and docks or is it pretty much fully operational?
It's been unused for a very long time. The old factories are now hip apartments.

>The Underground City. Fuckin, how does it work?
It's an overrated meme. It's a mix subway tunnels and mall shops. Convenient to get around during the winter but that's it.

Will do a 2nd post because thread is about to die.

>What is the arts and culture district called, and can you describe the "feel" of the area?

Heart of the city. It's located down-town, next to ste-catherine street. Loads of festivals there all year long. It features a large open plaza next to the modern-art museum.

>Where would someone go to stash, say, 30 dead bodies where nobody'd ever think to look?
I'd drive out of the city. There's also the "silo 5" which is a famous abandoned building in the old port. (Maybe not actually a good place to dump bodies IRL. However, if you want a picturesque and famous montreal building that'd fit the description of a "building to dump bodies", it's a good choice).

>What is the arts and culture district called
I forgot to answer this. It's called "Quartier des spectacles" or more specifically, "place des arts". It really feels like the heart of the city to me.

>What section of Montreal has the nightlife
All the night life takes place downtown basically, although there are clubs and bars in the suburbs. Places serve liquor till 2am and there are a few all-night clubs.

The two main clusters are St-Laurent and Crescent street. Pic related, the street with the lanterns is St-Laurent. Crescent is known is for its bars, and St-Laurent has a mix of bars and clubs.

>is little burgundy a shithole
Not really, its gentrified pretty hard. Its multicultural with a white plurality
>gangs
Italian mob is the biggest group (they run construction in greater montreal), there's also irish mobs (waning in influence for decades now) and street crime, mostly haitians and arabs
>lachine canal
Completely gentrified, nice for a stroll or bicycle ride. All the warehouse/factory space has been converted to lofts basically. Major thing to see there is the atwater market in the summer.
>arts and culture district
not sure what you mean by this, theres the quartier de spectacles which is for concerts and festivals downtown, but most artists would live in the plateau-mont royal area, which is a 19-early 20th century working class urban neighbourhood now with lots of young hipsters. its directly north east of downtown, and 10-15 minutes away on the orange line
>maison mere

now student housing for concordia university, an anglo uni

Dead bodies go in the fleuve

pic

>Crescent

lol

i'm an anglo so yeah i guess we still think its relevant?

>>i'm an anglo so yeah i guess we still think its relevant?

Important information right there, OP. Take this into consideration while reading his posts.

please tell me what else is wrong with what I said. Are you even from montreal? are you a provincial pleb

>mostly haitians and arabs
>Maghrebi subhumans commiting crimes

HOW SURPRISING

they form our working class now that the italians and irish and quebecois working class have stopped acting like ghettoized animals and been accepted into the mainstream

No, I just thought that it was interesting how french and english people answer differently do the same question. This is highly relevant for OP and he probably wouldn't have known this by reading tourists booklet although these are widely established facts.

st catherine is mostly restaurants and shops though

theres les foufounes electroniques though to be fair

bumping with pics of montreal

>The hard-working maghrebi meymey

WE WUZ CONSTRUKTORZ N SHEIT

that pic is ignorant of history

do you even know what working class means? I dont mean it to literally say they are all working, it means theyre at the bottom rung of society and live in the urban ghettos

Has this been on an album cover yet?

>le poor maghrebi forced to live in the filthy ghetto meymey

Real people go out on St-Denis, OP. People that tell you they go out on crescent are actually reptilians.

what are you even saying you autist
i never told him to go to crescent, going out is for reptilians period

Montréalais here

Honestly the city is pretty shitty. The only thing which that's allegedly "good" about the city is that people say that the nightlife is nice, but personally nightlife isn't at all my thing.

Also people love to cherrypick images from the Plateau, western Rosemont, Quartier Latin, Lachine etc. but the unfortunate truth is that those are only small parts of the complete island. This kind of abomination in pic related (which is very common in neighborhoods like St-Léonard) is actually a much more accurate representation of the average Montreal home. For the most part, Montreal alternates between generic suburbia full of insufferable anglos, or disgusting povertyblocks full of insufferable dindus. You know a city is really shitty when fucking Hochelaga is unironically one of the nicer neighborhoods.

forgot pic

So you're criticism of montreal is that it is in North america? Fucking idiot

Montréal seems like a very comfy city

If -20 celcius is your idea of comfy it might be

Montreal is half the fun in the winter... the city comes alive properly when you can walk around comfortably in a shirt
Every single city in the world has ugly suburbs, whats your point? Its where low income people live and they commute into the city

It can be comfy but it also has some badly maintained streets and run down buildings from the 70s from before their economy started stagnating.

Jesus Christ, bud thanks!
And yes, the characters will be speaking in French, but im writing the whole thing in english.
I speak a bit of french, nothing earth shattering.

If you learn anything from this thread it should be that french people don't go out on crescent.

>Maison Mere
>student housing

SAPRISTE last I heard it was...something else. Man, times change.

Little Burgundy is gentrified now, but didnt it used to be pretty bad in the early 90s or so?

Thank you for your concern for my Artistic integrity. All of this thread has been a huge help, more than you can even imagine and I'm entirely grateful to everybody who posted these facts and took the time to answer my shit

>SAPRISTE
sapristi*

No problem OP. How is your book going to be called?

How is that building in anyway shity? Yeah, it's not the Taj Mahal but it looks just like a regular apartment place. I wasn't expecting me entire city to be made up of castles and palaces.

Merci, mec :)

De rien

Just make sure to get help from a native if you're going to have the characters speak any Québécois French, it's very easy to get it wrong (even if you ask someone from France, for example).

Well it's not so much of a book as it is a short story...I dont have a name yet, either way.

The architecture of montreal is the best part, the infrastructure (besides the metro) is the worst part

Its incredibly depressing, because it was designed with a modernist vision of a city on a hill, like the whole Man and His World thing. They projected montreal to have a metropolitan population of 8 million by the year 2000. Toronto only has 7 million today. Wishful thinking.
You have to understand that the worst shitholes in canada are like normal neighbourhoods in the US. You have so much gun violence its crazy. Most montreal murders are bar fights gone wrong.

Yeah. I learned what little French I do know in Louisiana, so I know what you mean.