Ask a sears(soon to be former) employee anything

ask a sears(soon to be former) employee anything

I just put my 2 weeks in a few days ago after 5 years of working there

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=cXkz2J3Gksc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Is Sears actually tanking? What do employees think of Sears selling Craftsman?

Do you eat your dad's cum when he shoots it on your face?

What made you decide to quit?

the writing was on the wall 5 years ago son. pay attention much? markets?

at least you got 5 years out of it

where are you going to go now now?

As someone who also works at Sears the company is doing poorly but they're not Caldor or Service Merchandise or Ward's just yet. A large number of stores are still profitable while about 10 percent are actually growing. The stores that are flunking are no longer getting upgrades or improvements, they will be closed soon.

I can't be too optimistic about retail but they are making moves that are counter to what historically caused failures for other stores. I give them about a 50/50 chance of making it past 2020 as of what I see right now.

i heard somewhere that sears was shutting down, is that true

OP here, sorry I forgot I made this thread because I had it open in another tab. answering questions now.

holy fucking service merchandise, my childhood
lusting after early nintendo

Sears got stuck with the "old" customer crowd, where there used to be haggling, and catalogs. They seemed just.. too oldschool.

Not OP here, but Sears selling Craftsman kinda sucks. However it did raise an ass load of capital that we needed.

>is sears actually tanking?
it has been for a few years but more so recently. Employees from what i see don't seem to care/have an opinion.

no, I stopped

got a better job

I knew it was in trouble but I needed a job throughout college

I mean I put away a shit load of money and bought a car and a lot of other stuff and paid my way through college so I'm content

I got a graphic design job

you seem to know more than me

possibly

agreed

I have really no opinion on it personally, especially now

agreed. it bummed me out to see that old stand by waste away.
thanks NAFTA

I dont know why anyone would wanna buy a brand with such a good warranty service. Stanley is gonna be stuck replacing tools for 30 years that they never made a profit on. I mean theyre paying about 900 million for the deal so there is something there im not seeing. Any new "revolutionary" craftsman tools will flop as they have the last 15 years. IMO.

seems like you came out winning bro! good job

thanks user, I appreciate that. I should of worked harder sooner but sometimes when you get stuck in a dead end job you lose motivation and interest in pursuing better things so it takes time.

Sears used to own Discover, Coldwell, and Allstate. They had a huge network of warehouses for their mail order services. They could have been Amazon before Amazon but squandered their resources and ignored the market. Now they're playing catchup, and they're far far behind.

I do think if they cut about a third of their shittiest stores they can survive. They'll need to be a lot leaner but they're not too far gone, yet.

Man I havent shopped at sears in nearly a decade. And whenever I hear the word sears I only think of this true story, one of the funniest Ive ever heard.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=cXkz2J3Gksc

whats easiest to steal?

literally knew none of this.

I honestly wish they didn't tank because with 5 years of working for them I feel like it would of helped me be able to move to a graphic design position within the company easily

somebody stole a TV a few months ago. it was pretty funny actually. Apparently they just picked it up and walked out and nobody stopped them/checked them for a receipt. our LP team is awful.

I guess in general the easiest thing to steal would be any loose small tools. people steal hats a lot apparently from mens department because they usually don't have tags on them.

also Ive accidently taken home some small stuff in tools like sockets or adapters because I'll forget they are there. So I guess anything small enough to pocket. like I said, our LP team is pretty shitty

Small engine spark plugs and components, earbuds, appliance water filters, and cheap watches not in cases. Hats and socks/underwear go too.

I'm a little biased as my family has been working for Sears for generations at some point or another. They do still have a lot of good corporate culture, and the upper echelons of the company are pretty easy to get a hold of when something is wrong with our store or a customer has a legit problem. They don't advertise it but it's company policy to hold positions for members of the military until they return, and they have a company policy of paying the difference in salary while you're serving.

They may be in a world of shit, but they're still a good American store and company, even if they have some absolutely shit locations and employees.

What department? I've done the pick up section before

Fuck Sears

i think I would of hated sears if i was a cashier but I worked in the shipping department/back room so the job was pretty good for the most part

ive worked pick up too but my main job was shipping department/backroom

Is management (corporate level) actively TRYING to destroy Sears? Are they trying to make a mint by killing it to sell off the part (like Craftsman)?

>shipping department
GAHHHH

That's what i formerly did, worked with a bunch of 40 years old and up bunch of fucktards

Shit was awful

Like, unloading truck merchandise and placing every pieces of clothing on racks and appliances on shelves?

If so, fucking shitty task that's boring af

i've just recently bought the 63$ dakota queen matreess (price error).
i am still waiting for it to be shipped, are you aware of this? any insight how to get it faster?

Not OP, but the Craftsman sale was the best way for the company to get cash to reinvest into the company and stores. It also allows us to continue selling it and it will still have the same lifetime warranty. I

it seems like they genuinely don't give a shit. they have unrealistic expectations and spend all their time yelling at Operation managers who end up yelling at ASMs who end up yelling at hourly associates.

i didnt hate it I just got sick of it because theres no change. it was 5 years of the same dead end bullshit. I dont handle placing appliances but I do offload trucks and help prep orders to be shipped from store through UPS

I'd say call and complain as much as possible but you'll probably get jerked around. it might help to actually go to a store because then they have to deal with it instead of blowing you off.

It sounds like you work for a bottom100 store unfortunately. If you think there's a chance for you to stay, you should contact a regional manager and see if there's an opening for work elsewhere within the company.

if I had interest in staying in sears I would probably do that just for change but I just accepted another job because its the career path I want to do.

Gotcha. I don't blame you. Best of luck man. I'm really hoping Sears keeps making some positive headway, but I don't plan to go down with the ship. If it ever gets to the point that it scares me I'm outie as well.

I appreciate it, thanks buddy.

what do you think about us losing our discount btw? i didnt really mind it because I never really shopped at sears

Tbh, I find it offensive and petty. I posted a response on Pebble to a thread and was told to "give it a chance". I know it will save them some money, but they're still providing the old discount to the countless Sears retirees. I kind of hope some negative PR makes them change their mind. A 10 percent discount is a big difference from a 15 percent credit. Might as well pay us in scrip.

yeah no its definitely bullshit in general. the hard working employees who are sticking with this company should be valued not disrespected by taking away one of the benefits.

Unfortunately they felt that most employees would just see a number.

I have very mixed feelings about Lampert.

Are you at a store or in Hoffman? I'm at corporate in the IT dept and damn is it some abusive crap going on there. It's bad managers and attitudes.

No. They're closing stores, but it'll be years before they're done done.

im in a store. I can imagine though.

I'm at the West Dundee store and our manager is a sexist cunt. She fired all of our male leads except one and replaced them with all women "just by chance." The only dude left has corporate connections which is the only reason he is still here.

She is a dumb bitch and has no idea how anything in the store works just "how it should work."

Not OP, but I'm at a store. I feel for you IT guys, I used to work educational IT myself. Where in IT do you work? Helpdesk type stuff or more sysadminy type?

Why do all our back room computers still use windows fucking 98?

OP Here

the ones at our store use 7. its weird that theyd update some stores and not others

As of a few years ago some training machines were still using win2k. I think at the corporate level Server 2k3 is still being used but most machines are running either Windows 7 with the classic theme enabled, or are a thin client to a 2k3 server.