What is the impact this album had? why is it important to either you or music as a whole?

What is the impact this album had? why is it important to either you or music as a whole?

trips
also great album. I liked wildflower more tho

Reminds me of a very specific time in my life, of the anticipation of going to uni, and the last year of 6th form college. Probably one of the most vivacious and joyful albums ever made, and the atmosphere created hasn't ever been replicated imo.

It will also always remind me of her, and I'm both happy and sad about that

surely more people have to have some input on this right?

wildflower is amazing and a really fun album

but it has nothing on since i left you

kinda sorta the same here

SILY reminds me of good times past and gives me feels

i don't think it's a particularly groundbreaking album, but it's a really good one

all around excellent use of samples, amazing transitions, great aesthetic, etc.

why not groundbreaking?

it's still just an instrumental hip-hop album through and through.

it stands out in its genre for sure but it still very much fits said genre.

its not important to music
its like avatar, broad appeal and huge audience but no ideas worth holding on to or anything that would give it a mark on the musical landscape

can you explain further?

how does this apply to the Avalanches literally at all?

do you consider anything more sonically pleasing than nails on a chalkboard looped over children screaming too accessible?

Dunno, only discovered it in like 2007/2008.

As for what it means to me, it was probably my favourite album for about 6-7 years, but I've just listened to it too much

pls respond tryna get opinions for a paper

good example of post modern music, remember it being played in a lecture to demonstrate how its possible to create new genres based on mixing old ones

nah, I'd say it's important to music because it's the first plunderphonics album accessible to the mainstream. It's ok if it's not important to you, as it isn't particularly to me. It's a chill album though

Well SILY along with Discovery completely changed the whole sampling thing. The success of those two albums so close together made sampling much harder since everyone wanted insane royalties. They didn't before because samples were typically used on 7" house tracks and other shit that basically generated no revenue.

Both Daft Punk and the Avalanches were victims of their own success. Daft Punk had to completely re-invent their sound, failing badly the first time in 2005 and then takin 7 years to sort themselves out. The Avalanches failed to get anything out in 16 years and it was probably a lot to do with the sampling witch hunt that was going on in the mid 2000's

I feel the same way about it; it's simply well put together.

why is OP getting so buttblasted that people aren't head over heels calling this album the holy grail of music.

That's a pretentious title "important to music" The fact of the matter is, without this album music would still exist, and it wouldn't effect music in the slightest.

There's nothing distinctive about it. Albums like Endtroducing already managed to seamlessly string collages of sampled music together and that album was already a mainstream smash, proving how far you could take music that was completely made of samples ten years after MARRS to a broad audience.

SILY on the other hand might as well be any pop album, it has nothing to prove and the end result of the samples it utilizes is mostly indistinguishable from the pop music it samples.
The fact its popularity is sustained by its meme status of music (because if you know anything about the album you know how quotable some of the lines are to people) speaks to that.
As well as how after 15 years Avalanches release another album except this time it doesn't live up to the memetic status of its predecessor and no one talks about it and will only be known as "the follow up to SILY" in a few years.

It reached an /actual/ mainstream audience, as DJ Shadow didn't, because it was hip hop. Memes are part of pop, and people liked it more because it's pop, but that doesn't make it bad

/actual/?
That's so fucking stupid, even if Avalanches sold more copies upon release that doesn't mean it has a bigger impact on music than Endtroducing (btw it was fucking huge and is still huge). If people liked it as a pop album why would THAT have a meaningful impact on hip-hop or sampled music?

Also if it were to have a meaningful impact (outside of sales) by being influential how would people who make hip-hop, collage or any sampled music now be affected by the fact that it isn't a hip-hop album?
Endtroducing happened four years before, MARRS ten years before and even shit like Negativland before that so outside of its instant pop memeability what the fuck kind influence does it have?
I'm not one of those fucks who thinks music has to be technically proficient or technically advanced to have influence but the music has to be distinctive in some way. So if a sampled album just sounds like pop music, then whats the point of the samples outside of the meme?

SILY was more of an achievement and was more original for it's time, but I enjoy Wildflower more. First half of SILY has a lot of meh tracks

>▶
jus trying to get more fleshed out responses its okay user, just trying to come up with a thesis

i can talk about this album for days. anything in particular you want to know aside from impact or importance?

anything

The Avalanches essentially took musical collage and made it palatable for mass audiences. It also tells an absolutely stunning story. It's one of the most cohesive and dense EDM albums ever made.