Are we entering a new golden age for horror?

Are we entering a new golden age for horror?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=adap4rzlM2I
rottentomatoes.com/m/raw_2016/?search=raw grave
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Every single modern horror movie gets amazing reviews before it's out

We already did

That movie looks p good to be tru famalam

>there are STILL faggots on here right now who fell for the It Follows/Babadook shill train
wew lad

You'll fall for the Lights Out is good meme too.

I actually think this movie looks pretty good based on the previews.

>9 reviews
>i-it's a good movie XDD

this was shit

I sure hope so. I'm not too big a fan of horror specifically, but we sure as hell as need a golden age of something. Everything nowadays flops or just isn't worthwhile.

Babadook was shit
It follow was 7/10

i used to have extreme phobia of the dark

Yes

That's because most of the media is owned by about 5 companies, and they use it to push political agendas instead of making films that stand on their own merit.

It Follows is great. I wouldn't even qualify The Babadook as horror.

>PG 13

We've been in it for a while now.

>used to

babadook was so fucking boring. It follows was ok

>its a rotten tomatoes rating with less than 10 reviews thread

really makes you think

Man I was zooming in on my phone, really spoopy

youtube.com/watch?v=adap4rzlM2I

The short it's based off, for those that haven't seen it already.

No, the bar is just set incredibly low.

I must admit I enjoy all these modern, indie, gory, digital-as-fuck-looking horror films. It Follows, Green Room, You're Next, all very enjoyable.

>see it's .gif
>look anyway
>look at red circle
>nothing's there
>remember its a gif right as the jumper hits

Fuckin shit I'm a moron

Those are big reviews though

lel

Sad but true.

James Wan is on a roll.

FOR

FOR THE MILLIONTH TIME.

IS THIS A GOOD FUCKING HORROR MOVIE OR SOME FUCKING SHITTY OVERHYPED MEME MOVIE LIKE THE WITCH AND BABADOOKIE

>still pretending this shit was good

I loved PD, but god damn, the second season was awful and the last two eps of s3 were gutter trash.

Actually s2 had some great moments, but to much wasted time.

Also, it wasn't really "horrifiying", just pulpy thriller stuff.

It Follows was pretty good.
Babadook was rolling like a motherfucker until it crashed into that awful fucking ending.

I think you already know the answer.

Fuck off

Kyolo, shit?

It only takes like 20-30 minutes to watch a movie at 2.5x. Why not give it a try and see if you like it?

Is this an actual horror movie or LEL OOGA BOOGA JUMP SCARE I GOT YOU HAHAHAH snorefest?

I'm curious, what to you is an actuall horror movie?

>entering

This "golden age" started with The Conjuring or Babadook.

A horror film even won FIPRESCI award at Cannes.

rottentomatoes.com/m/raw_2016/?search=raw grave

This guy gets it. They're short and do what they want to then leave and its goddamn entertaining.

The shining wasn't a jump scare movie, jaws wasn't, the exorcist wasn't do I need to continue? I think you know what he means.

There were jump scares in all these movies.

You're mom is a jump scare

Not the way they're done now with shrieking loud music. And very few of them.

>The Conjuring is a 2013 American supernatural horror film directed by James Wan and written by Chad Hayes and Carey Hayes
>Chad

wtf I hate this movie now

Just watched It. Any similar movies? Not a fan of slasher shit, and I dislike moves that are simply depressing/boring (i.e. not looking for Friday the 13th type stuff, and I hate movies like the woman in black). I'm sort of new to horror.

Saw Lights Out at a Warner Bros screening last Wednesday.

Solid 7.5/10, maybe 8/10 if i'm being generous.

One of the better horror movies released in the past decade but I wouldn't say it was groundbreaking or anything, really interesting concept though, it keeps you entertained and on your toes. Definitely had me hesitant to turn out the lights when i got home that night.

The Wailing was the best horror movie I've seen in a long time

The latter

>another pg13 James Wan flick which AGAIN has a family as the main characters and thus removes most of the tension

what are your favourite recent horror movies, user?

>phone user
Fuck off please

Can someone link the wailing?

7.5? Go on then fuckface, what would you say are 10/10 horror kino's then? Since you sound like a fucking expert. Go on then cocksucker fucking educate. Or are you scared to show off your own tastes?

The only reason people like the babadook is that it hit you over the head with symbolism so hard, that despite the fact only retards and children could miss it, somehow still causes people to think they are cultured and insightful for noticing it, and so they praise the movie because they get off on appearing smart.

No offence but the trailer made it look like a comedy when I first saw it the way that women turned on the light and off and on and off and on multiple times as the thing standing in the kitchen kept on disappearing and reappearing.

I almost thought it was a parody movie until the second part of the trailer made it actually serious.

Doesn't matter what he lists

The only "good" horror is lame af shit like excorcist, thing, and any terrible asian shit like the host.

tl;dr shit that hasn't been scary for 40 years

I started getting into horror movies recently, and I found that there's really nothing that scares me anymore, not even the jump scares, I kind of expect them at any point. But from newer movies I've seen, I found Southbound really interesting. Not scary but sort of intense. I've also seen that witch movie the other day, which was fucking awful.

The only good horror of the last few years was Starry Eyes

Such an informed comment. So you're saying that all horror movies are basically shit. Well thanks for clearing that up smart guy. Now go back to blowing your dad you fucking maggot.

If a horror movie can't scare you its shit

No old horror movies are capable of scaring a normal adult in 2016

Therefore they're shit yes

:V

Now go be upset that you cant dickwave your patrcian horror tastes IMDB list on here fuccboi

>hurr watch The Orphanage and Crimson Peak, they are the best, scariest horror movies I have ever seen. Based Mexican directors
>they turn out to be boring melodramatic pieces of shit

Build wall.
Just because a "horror" movie doesn't have much jumpscares and gore doesn't mean it's actually scary.

You let this happen, Americans

you :^)
nice digits senpai

>Darkness Falls 2: Indie Horror Boogaloo

No thanks

i hope so

Who the fuck gets frightened by movies? What a ridiculous metric to judge a film by.

That fucked me up

>tripfag
Filtered

my nigger, i actually like this kind off digital look too

Anyone going to watch Don't Breathe?

Sicario's first act has been the only scary cinema in years, even decades. Ghost, monsters, witches, etc. That shit ain't scary. It's a fucking joke. Horror movies to me are alt. comedy.

There's nothing more scary than a human being and scary human beings are very close to us all.

>There's nothing more scary than a human being
Except for literally everything.

>millenials actually enjoy shit like babadook and it follows and sinister and insidious and all this other tripe shit so more of this shit continues to be produced and the bar keeps being set lower and lower
I want off this ride.

>Ghost, monsters, witches

Well all "monsters" are basically just what we find scary in other people amplified into a new being.

I've seen plenty of previews, and the short looks like 100x better. I remember seeing it when it first came out and thinking it was very well done and had all it needed as is. I watched it many times since then and it's perfect just as is.

They should have left it alone and just put the creators on a project that was more fleshed out. The movie looks fucking stupid. The short was fairly relate able... we've all been there, going to bed home alone and seeing things in the shadows. The movie will ruin that. I'd rather pay to see the short in theaters than this pretty much guaranteed P.O.S.

>go into the vvitch expecting horror
>it was just a bland heightened reality drama about silly pilgrims

It follows was good though, don't fall for the meme

>lmao horror is supposed to be scary
No, only children get scared by something on a screen.
True horror is meant to be unsettling.

Isn't James Wan the guy doing Aquaman? It could actually turn out to be a good movie

My sister saw an early screening and said it was complete shit. I believe her since we both love horror movies and have pretty similar taste in them. Don't believe RT's lies.

Horror is meant to be dead.

I hated that they started to explain what the ghost came from even in the trailer, jesus fucking christ don't people understand that the unknown is the scariest thing

I had sleep paralysis and night terrors as a kid. I would wake up and be unable to make a noise as I would watch shadows on my wall slowly come towards me and all I wanted to do was scream, but I couldn't.
I've never felt terror in my life like I did on those nights, my entire bed would be soaked in sweat.

>PG-13 """"horror""""
>trailer showed nothing but jump scares
>retarded gimmick about lights
Nah this shit is gonna be shit.

It Follows was okay... they did a decent job of explaining the monster just enough to make it interesting yet leave some mystery. The soundtrack wasn't bad, and I didn't have any real issues with the casting. The concept was original. I really can't put my finger on it, but it just fell flat for me... I didn't really see any substance.

Babadook I would have enjoyed more if there wasn't so much goddamn shilling. I bet they're STILL shilling it in /x/ horror threads and I see it mentioned here too often. It was okay, but not as a horror. It was kind of a psychological thriller maybe? idk. The biggest thing with that one for me was the pacing was way off. They actually did a great job with the monster/whatever that was supposed to be, but it was like 95% slow as fuck with less than a minute here and there of suspense. Would have done much better if marketed as a grieving wife piece, whatever genre that falls in (and less shilling).

This was genuinely bad from start to finish.

It's quite literally a film for dumb people to feel smart.

I personally think it follows should have been much longer, you didn't really get the feel of being "followed" while watching it. It should have been more slowburn. To really get that sense of being stalked for a longtime and not being able to escape wherever you are

Just seeing this thread reminded me of it. I can't get to sleep now, and I haven't seen it in like a year.

I have a test I'm trying to get good sleep for, thanks assholes.

You're Next and Green Room are pretty fucking real, though. Anyone who's been in high stress situations like that can totally relate, and they're both fairly plausible situations. It Follows does have a similar atmosphere, but it's more of a stare into the abyss and it stares back sorta thing.

I enjoyed all three. You're Next is the most fun to watch, Green Room I only watched once just the other night and really liked the pacing and quick but smooth escalation. A lot of us have been there, where it's all good until all of a sudden we realize it wasn't good as of like 10 minutes ago.

Are you even a fan of horror movies? It's such a broad genre that saying something like 'Would have done much better if marketed as a grieving wife piece' is pretty dumb.

Many people seems to be nostalgic about the 80s slashers for some reason even if most of them aren't particularly good.

alright, grandpa, we get it, things were scarier in the 17th century.

The short was fucking kino as fuck. I was really disappointed to see the previews for the full movie, honestly. The monster and concept look stupid as fuck.

>Sicario
>scary
>human beings
>scary
Unless you're a pampered first-worlder, humans stop being scary by the time you reach the teenage years because by that time you would already be desensitized to humans being scum.

Things like Parkinson's and other incurable illnesses or so-called "acts of God" are infinitely more scary than any human being, no matter how depraved, could be.

Earliest I can think of that started this shitfest was Paranormal Activity. Probably something early 2000's that actually did it (TCM comes to mind but that wasn't too bad). I'm guessing it evolved from the self-aware horror types from the 90's and they made money from it so they just kept going.

They were all very well executed, and for the most part far apart. Those movies had great pacing, too. All of this is pretty much absent from anything we see today. They just throw in jump scares whenever they feel like it and hope teenage boys use it for dates in the hopes that their date will grab them during a scare.