SWANS ARE FUCKING SHIT

I swear to God that Swans are the most annoying tripe I have ever heard. I don't know why you brainless sheep hipsters listen to that garbage. Why should I listen to a drunk redneck loon rant about the sun and seeing it all, while 20-minute instrumentals that either consist of screeching harsh noise or shitty synths and acoustic guitar over the most rudimentary drum beats that repeat for eternity? Why can't you listen to something like the Pixies or Pavement if you want semi-decent hipster rock?

is this a copypaste

No this is my own original thoughts you beta hipster faggot.

Looka t this pretentious faggotry?

but it sounds good

>tells people not to like the music they like
>calls them sheep
Irony must be a new concept to you

this sounds like bait but i absolutely agree. i've never gotten the appeal. and i've tried the different "eras" of the band, either it's never clicked or it really is just absolute drivel to me

I swear to God that Swans are the most annoying tripe I have ever heard. I don't know why you brainless sheep hipsters listen to that garbage. Why should I listen to a drunk redneck loon rant about the sun and seeing it all, while 20-minute instrumentals that either consist of screeching harsh noise or shitty synths and acoustic guitar over the most rudimentary drum beats that repeat for eternity? Why can't you listen to something like the Pixies or Pavement if you want semi-decent hipster rock?

How much does Larkin pay you to make these threads?

>anyone who doesn't have the same taste as me is a shill

not even op here, but fuck off

although I think most of the people that they enjoy swans only do it to sound like they are cultured and cool, and despite their revival tour being astonishingly good, there is literally no disputing the importance the group had on modern music.

throw yourself back nearly 40 years and hearing something like their self titled EP. going to one of their concerts. hearing the power of some of their music, and how draining and emotionless it can be.
it was noise, but it wasn't.
they associated with the no wave scene, but they rejected the label.
it was almost like art, but it was complete garbage.
self taught, psuedo-avant-garde nonsense.
i love it.

sure michael gira is one of the most deplorable cunts in the world, but he kind of deserves a [tiny] bit of respect.

Anybody know if there'll be new album coming out this year? A live one or something.

Why do you consider Gira deplorable?

You have to be either really high or in a bad place for a lot of it to make sense. Yes, im aware thats not a good thing. If you like heavier music Cop has a solid opener that can be listened to like a normal person, and despite what everyone says Burning World isnt so bad, it just isnt Swans.

Because a woman accused him of rape without evidence and that's enough for some people to dislike him.

you fucknut, have you been paying attention at all to the recent swans threads

i basically constantly fluctuate between really high/drunk and in a bad place, yet swans still have never done anything for me. i'll try out cop again, at least, just to see if my tastes have changed. i'm a fan of heavy for sure.

yeah, i agree with you about the whole "requires a mindstate to enjoy" being a negative for an artist/album. but i can see how that kind of stuff has its place, i have some artists/albums i only listen to in certain moods or points in my life.

i dunno, OP is probably being a bit ridiculous or hyperbolic when he calls swans fans sheep, but it makes me feel so crazy that all these people whose opinions i share and trust also not just like but fucking love swans.

yeah like one other user said, his life has not been without injustices or accusations.

i believe he is a bit of a diva actually. arrogant, cold and unlikable. not very nice to fans. disrespectful to venues.

but i think to write what he has written in the past, you can safely assume he isn't some friendly, happy chappy.

disagree actually.
I can pick up most of their albums and listen cover to cover and enjoy whatever it is, regardless of mood.

one band i feel is heavily mood dependent however, is xiuxiu.
and jamie sucks gira's cock so so so hard.

huh, that's funny, i'm the guy who can't get into swans, but i fucking love xiu xiu in pretty much any mood.

i personally require, at the least, a very low-energy mood to listen to Swans. Otherwise i tend to default to groove-heavy music.

>Using the word "hipster" that much

Pretty cringe

I guess that was a good enough reason for you to hate him. A rape accusation which hasn't been proven... And what does that have to do with their music?
And again, what does any of that have to do with their music? I loathe Al Di Meola as a person, but that hasn't stopped me from enjoying his music.

never said i disliked his music. just said he wasn't a very nice person.
swans is arguably my favourite band.

CRINGE YOURSELF, YOU 12 YEAR OLD FAGGOT

i liked Holy Money, it seems like you have to be in an alienated, menace to society type of mood for it to click, but idk

i didn't enjoy the album with the raping the slave track, what other swans album should i try next guys

I read all of the archived interviews on the outdated Swans page. While on camera and while having his voice recorded he's certainly a friendly and intelligent person, but you can tell that there's some merit to the claims that he's an asshole; he becomes assertive and aggressive in response to some questions and has yelled at band-mates at concerts. Nothing he has done has been enough to make me dislike him, though. None of his personality "flaws" seem unforgivable given his good traits and the substantial artistic output they're tied to. On a mostly unrelated note, his interviews have proven to be a good source for book recommendations.

greed

>considering Swans hipster rock
that's your problem

and yeah of course hipsters flock all over them but Swans aren't anything at all like Pixies or Pavement

listen to their later stuff and use this

12-year-olds aren't allowed to post here, nincompoop.

late swans reminds me of a nick cave inspired post rock band. sounds great but pretty obviously marketed to people with little listening experience

Yeah, you should probably end your life.

>it was almost like art, but it was complete garbage

Yup, definitely kill yourself.

>TBK heavier than TS

TWELVE YEAR OLDS ARE SMARTER THAN YOU THINK YOU FUCKING BETA HIPSTER LEFT WING REGRESSIVE KEK FAGGOT!

woah!

This comment proves your worthlessness as a human being, please exit existence promptly.

>it was almost like art, but it was complete garbage.
>self taught, psuedo-avant-garde nonsense.
nigga you do realize Gira went to art school right?
In terms of musicality he probably knew jack shit in the circus mort/no wave/industrial era but he definitely had artistic direction in check.

Put your knife in me
I love you
Put your knife in me
I love you
Put your knife in me
I love you
Put your knife in me
I love you
Put your knife in me
I love you
Put your knife in me
I love you
Put your knife in me
I love you
Put your knife in me
I love you

Swans, like most good post-punk, takes a certain level of intelligence and artistic understanding that frankly most Sup Forums users simply don't possess.

True. all their lyrics are rambling two-phrase garbage. The backbone of that song is a bass drum and some guitar crunch drivel

See

DONT YOU MEAN KILL YOURSELF YOU 14 YEAR OLD "look at me, I'm so mature" FAGGOT!

thats a pretty rare pepe, anyone got full size?

LOOK AT ME WITH MY SUPERIOR MUSIC TASTE IN POINTLESS DRIVEL
PLEASE SUCK MY 2.5418 INCH COCK

what
is this a false flag or something

WTF? I hate Swans now

see

Swans clicked for me when I started getting into them, but I can get why it wouldn't for others. It's pushed around like a meme, but it's a band that you either get or don't based around your life experiences and backround

>SWANS ARE FUCKING SHIT
not true actually

>with little concert experience
I'm a concert pianist who was alive during the inception of the no-wave scene.

Life is too short to have the dissonant, hateful bile of a rapist jackass piped into your ears :)

but its so le different

oh yeah? is a piano a stringed or percussion instrument then?

yeah I agree with listen to their later stuff first, the whole thing about listening to their early work first is just a pretentious Sup Forums meme. Their newer stuff plays with many of the same ideas and often does so in a way that is relevant to the audiences of today. Not that their early work is necessarily bad (it's really good) but it's not very relevant today so it's gonna sound kinda shitty or even just weird and cheap if you don't have a context for what they were trying to do. My advice: listen to The Seer and To Be Kind in whatever order you want (but make sure to listen to both in case one doesn't click) and then try going to things like Filth, Children of God, and Soundtracks for the Blind (or you could finish off their modern work by listening to The Glowing Man and My Father Will Guide Me Up A Rope to the Sky). If by the time you've listened to all of those, you still aren't that into Swans, then Swans probably isn't for you, but chances are you will have found at least something among all the stuff they have that resonates with you.

i said listening experience you mouth breathing mongoloid

Soundtracks for the blind is GOAT tho. Why be a fag about not liking music?

I enjoy almost all Swans that I've heard, but I fucking hate Soundtracks for the Blind. It's just not that interesting to me, and it's 2 hours long.

Am I alone in this? Everyone seems to love Soundtracks

a new Angels of Light album officially announced on Sup Forums

but new swans has some insane groove heavy songs

people don't actually listen to music here user

I don't think you're alone. It's a bit pathetic to denigrate it on account of its length.