Drummers? post your kits

I need new heads. But in the meantime I'm enjoying a setup with just a floor tom.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Vic-Firth-Double-sided-Practice/dp/B0002F5BFW
youtu.be/nCWiogdCMY0
youtu.be/i9zUI668FCM?t=3m28s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>tfw want to get into drumming after years of listening to Zach Hill
>tfw know that it'd be too loud for normie neighbors to handle

what do drum friend? should I invest in a v drum kit or is it just a waste?

rent an outdoor storage unit and play your kit there

i'm the opposite. i only need two cymbals but i need two toms

ive only got three cymbals should i get more

electronic drums are okay to start on but my recommendation is to just get a pair of sticks and a good practice pad with a snare stand. technique is everything in drums.

e-kits are okay to start out with but unless you spend a ton of money for a high end roland you're not going to get at all the same feel as on an acoustic and you may develop bad habits that will hold you back when you play on an acoustic.

I'm a bit lucky to have my kit in my apartment right now since I live alone and work evenings so I can play when the other tenants are away

how the fuck have i not considered this

might get crazy fucking hot in there but it's totally worth it, thank you my friend

i can dig it, any brand suggestions for the pad/snares?

just check with the rules since some storage units don't allow usage for this. Always go acoustic. Electronic drums are for normies

this is all you'll need for a pad amazon.com/Vic-Firth-Double-sided-Practice/dp/B0002F5BFW

check out different types of sticks but I'd recommend starting with 2b's (slightly heavier) to help develop your finger/wrist muscles easily

any type of standard snare stand will work

No problem. A lot of local band around here use storage units for practice, just get an ok from the management. Most of them dont care as long as you pay for it. Just keep the place clean and take a ice chest full of ice and water/beer and you should be good. Also find away to put up some blankets so theres not so much noise bouncing back at you.

thank you for your help lads
youtu.be/nCWiogdCMY0

do your rimshots a bit higher up for better sound

Here's mine. Not particularly special but it's fun to play. I need a double pedal but >lefty.

>be me
>see blink 182 live
>remember liking band when you were in middle school
>travis is actually a pretty good fucking drummer
>go on Sup Forums
>say travis is underrated musician
>drumfag starts getting triggered because HIS CYMBALS ARE RETARDEED NORMIE REEE
>explain to him why i like his drumming and how taste is subjective
>calls me a commie and says ivw never played an instrument probably
>explain that ive been playing guitar for 10 years
>"GUYITAER IS THE 1984 OF INSTRUMENTS"
>continues to call me commie yet ive bought things WITH MONEY all my life
Drummers and trumpeters piss me off jfc

It's all dusty and disheveled because I don't have much fun playing anymore.

NO TRUMP
NO KKK
NO FASCIST USA

Did you guys get lessons or are you self taught? If the latter, what learning resources do you suggest?
t. user who took lessons for four years as a kid and wants to pick it back up

I didn't take lessons for drum set, but I did in high school for drumline/ front ensemble instruments. I literally learned by ear + rock band and now ten years later I can practically play any song I want by ear. I would recommend learning technique (holding sticks + proper strokes) and then learn how to play favorite songs. listen to music and uses you hands on your legs occasionally to train your ear

to clarify, literally rock band the game set my foundation

are those Dave Weckl sig sticks? I just broke my pair and am considering buying another

I took a few lessons when I was like 12 but I found I discovered the most about drums and myself when I was teaching myself

The thing I love about drums is that you can learn so much about phrasing and composition just by listening to great records and drummers.

I learned basic music theory and stick technique from a high school class, then I took some lessons. Lessons are better when you already have a good foundation and need to learn more advanced stuff, but they're good for the basics too. Teachers are good for pointing out things you would never think of or problems in your playing you aren't noticing.

I'm not a big fan of rock band drums for learning. It teaches you nothing about reading or even basic techniques, like rolls or hi hat foot stuff. Knowing how to read can teach you to play any song perfectly without hearing it first.

Yes, they are. I like the shape and the finish but they're rather fragile. Pretty much the only stick I've broken in half from playing. That said I've bought like 6 pairs at least, among the others in my collection. My favorite stick to use has to be Pro Mark Shirakashi Oak. That shit's unbreakable.

same kit, same dust. only play guitar nowadays :(

i agree about the drums, but how drum patters worked in rock songs was all learned from that

Who cares dude, your setup is really perfect if you can incorporate dynamics in your playing and figure out a creative ways of playing fills with the cymbals

Hell, Jojo Mayer would groove the fuck outta your kit

Yeah but dude consider that your kit isn't invincible against humidity, dust and all kind of shits that could happen to your kit being stored in a warehouse

No offense but I totally understand the hate towards Travis and without boasting or bragging, i'll tell you how my opinion is just not one of a random faggot on Sup Forums:
>i've been playing guitar(had 5 guitar so far but had to sell them and now i currently am playing an Ibanes RG7421 with some mods) for almost 6 years
>i played some drums on/off
>i know alot of musical theory
>i have a vast repertoire of musical taste
>i composed alot of songs

Alright so, the reason that people love/hate Travis is because just like in music, people who like him are into normal and general stuff(the popular/mainstream side)

Whereas people who really dislike/hate him tend to be either
>actual "punx"

And

>actual musicians

Why "actual "punx""? Well because actual punx are those kind of core types of people who adhere just like trve kvlt metulheadz to their sacred non written rules that constitute their lifestyle or "style" are however you wanna name it sense of identity they want to protect

Seeing Travis, not only selling out being in one of the most popular bands from late 90's/00's but dressing and trying hard to act like a "punk" when he's totally the opposite of what the whole movement stands for... On top of that he's always being a smug motherfucking prick which is just cringy as fuck when you consider that for a musician:

>he has no musicality
>went through his whole career doing the same shit over and over and never innovating
>doesn't even play properly, a drummer is supposed to play with his wrists
Travis plays with his arms and am beyond surprised he's never had any kind of issues in his whole career the way he flails exaggeratedly his arms like a fucking retard

Tl;dr
>he's just a try hard fake ass narcissistic smug little bitchass faggot

That's comin from someone who used to love them from 11-14

The thing is, he's good at what he does. I'd agree that the majority of his parts aren't particularly musical, but there are very few songs where I'm not like "dang that's pretty cool." His parts are always very meticulously scripted, and they work well for the 3-piece band. His fills are usually pretty shit though, but that's rarely his emphasis except when transitioning to the chorus or something.

He's good because he sticks to what he's good at. I'm sure he couldn't play any other genre for shit, but so what? Sure, normies overrate him ... but that's normies for you.

Also, you're right on about him playing with his arms. I don't know how he hasn't fucked himself over yet.

travis has better technique than most people lol

youtu.be/i9zUI668FCM?t=3m28s

My set of tamas I've had since like 2009. Not great but they get the job done in the bands I've played in and friends I jam with. I have a Zildjian K Crash Ride, some Sabian 18 inch crash, and a 14 inch set of Zildjian K hybrid hihats.

I store them at my fiend's house because I live in an apartment so I only get to play them when I jam with other people. This leads me to feeling like I play the same beat over and over with different variations, because I can't practice different beats on my own, and don't practice any rudiments. I've gotten decent at playing with other people though, and can do okay transitions which is cool I guess.

I am at the point where I need an electric kit, but I have been devoting all my spare income to vinyl instead.

That's all well and good, but 9th graders in drumline can do that too. I admitted that Travis is talented, but I don't think his parts are particularly musical. It doesn't matter, because Blink has never been about that, but I've yet to be blown away by anything he's played from a strictly drumming standpoint.

this is literally a warm up. when he actually plays he flails his arms around seemingly to look cool. also that exercise is literally just paradiddles

get a pad! at least you'll be playing on something and you can nail the fuck out of rudiments

Technique is not indicative of musicianship.

Also these are basic warm ups that anyone can practice ad nauseam until they're proficient.

I have a pad somewhere, I just never use it. I just drum on desks and beatbox to myself all the time when no one is around.

word

>what to practice
>too self conscious to play if my parents are home
I just don't want to bother them

Practice rudiments on a pillow over a metronome

Got it from Dennis Chambers, really great to work on a proper stroke rebound and you don't get to do a shit ton of noise