Why USA wants to feel unique and different?

Why USA wants to feel unique and different?

Other urls found in this thread:

google.co.uk/maps/@52.2054925,0.1261788,3a,75y,127.42h,101.27t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sC166tvdlq3qo_5U3Fy3WMQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1
youtube.com/watch?v=CdMfciMgfCk
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

BECAUSE AMERICA IS THE BEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD

yea um come back and all this when the rest of the world is no longer imitating most of our culture

ask*

Never been in a building like this and let me tell you I've been in a lot of buildings

WHY PROGRAMMER WANTS TO FEEL UNIQUE AND DIFFERENT???

> 9 out of 11 cant see the (...).jpg
holy fucking shit, now thats funny

>java

Because when the US earned independence from England they decided to do everything different.

I've really wanted to get into more buildings. How have you gone about doing it?

Perhaps when we started building skyscrapers over a hundred years ago they didn't want to tell people it's 50 floors but then add on because the ground floor. Instead you just count 1-100 like normal logic if you bother to use numbers. People still use ground floor as an alternative sometimes but it's never the official title.

just to be a dick

Then why do we still use english imposed measurements when everyone went metric?

they arent english units theyre american

Military does this shit too, shit that should be #1 starts off as #0

Because we spent HAVE to change anything. However we changed our official measurements to metric in the 70's. The govt uses it but the people don't because they don't have to.

The UK isn't fully metric. It's kinda happening, but it's a generational thing.

Or an industry thing. Plumbers still use imperial.

I see your confusion. we have an actual floor on the bottom level instead of bare ground

>Ground Floor

actually, that goes the same way as the ground/first/second floor in OP's picture.

Would a basement be referred to as "underground floor"?

i wouldnt put it past an american to actually think that

Because every programmer knows that counting from 1 like in Fortran or Matlab sucks even more.

you see user, the steps go directly to the first floor. under the first floor is the ground floor

Basement is basement. Unless there's more than one then it's -1, -2, etc.

It's refereed to as a basement you... you... European.

I was running a race and looked behind me- I had done it. No one was behind me. I was going to win.
Felt so good to break the tape and come in ground place.

There's no need to want to FEEL superior when we KNOW we are.

Look up the definition of "basement". What floor does it say it's under?

SEE IT'S A SEMANTIC ISSUE, NUMBERS DON'T SUFFER FROM SEMANTIC AMBIGUITY THEREFORE THE U.S. NOMENCLATURE IS SUPERIOR

CHECKM8 FAG HAHAHAHA

"a partly or wholly underground storey of a building, esp the one immediately below the main floor "
Motherfucking dictionary paying word games again.

-2 -1 0 1 2 3 . where is your "first" floor in this list?

It's "main floor" from now on everyone. Get the light on your way out, please.

>feel
Not a "feel", just the way things worked out.
FYI, it makes one hell of a lot more sense to call the "First Floor", "First", as consistent with the same usage on "Second", "Third", etc.

What doesn't make sense is to call it "Ground" floor. Notwithstanding its terminology being inconsistent with the other floors, it also just so happens that the "ground" floor is not necessarily on the ground at all. Indeed, a substantial percentage of buildings in cities have no "ground" floor at all as the basement is half below ground, half above. Also, many improvements have no "ground" floor at all and for a number of structural or environmental reasons (low bearing capacity soil, flooding, stilts, pylons, etc.), and also due to code requirements or easements such as allowing foot or auto traffic to pass on the ground floor, it makes absolutely no sense to use such antiquated and naturally-inconsistent nomenclature as "ground" floor.

Hint #2: Grow up. 90% of the "English" system, including forcing the retarded standard metrics on the U.S. is ass backwards. But that's the English for you. Do it wrong. Do it different. Claim you are the best. History has consistently proven the English to be the biggest fuckups on the planet. Half the world's problems are due to English colonization anyway. Ironically, there is no such aftermath from French, Spanish, Dutch, Portuguese colonization, etc.

The English are and always have been a complete bunch of fuckups, yet our (yes, I'm English) system of schooling brainwashes us to think we invented everything and are so great.

After years of traveling the world, I have a bit of perspective and feel most sorry for my mates.

From an Irish persons point of view this "Ground, First, Second floor" bullshit is retarded as fuck.the ground floor is the first floor, leave it that way.

I'm in the US and I've never heard of the ground floor being called the first floor.

Because the Index indicates the offset from the first field

First as in One. on top of Zero. which is a valid number in any logical system.

>Half the world's problems are due to English colonization anyway
>be an English colony

yeah, but

>English colonization
Can't say it's wrong, tho. See Paki and various other indians immigrant.

Just because you met one plumber, and he used imperial it doesn't necessarily follow that all plumbers use imperial.
Plumbers leaving college today work only in metric. The UK has been fully metric since 1971, when decimal came into effect but the individuals preference will still come to the fore, particularly in instances where imperial was the method of education. Interestingly, supply pipes are measured in metric (15,22,28mm etc) but waste pipe is still referred to predominately in imperial terms(inch and a quarter, inch and a half etc), however this is changing slowly to 32mm and 40mm.

"FIRST" = 1st = 1
ZERO ≠ FIRST
-2 ≠ FIRST

A BUILDING FLOOR IS A REAL LIFE OBJECT NOT A PROGRAMMING ABSTRACTION YA PLONKEH LEL

tell that to your lift next time.

The ground is a floor. It is the first floor encountered in a building. It's both the first and the ground floor.

Checkered, satan

Also, the best way is to look for doors. *Usually* when you walk through doors you will be in a building. I've never actually tried it, but many people do have success with this method

then you must live in some one horse town with a population of 200 full of 2 story buildings with a street actually named "main street"

/thread

They're litterally called "imperial"?

AMERICAN ELEVATOR:

>5
>4
>3
>2
>GROUND FLOOR

YES IT SAYS "GROUND FLOOR" BUT THE NEXT FLOOR UP SAYS
>2
IMPLYING GROUND FLOOR IS
>1

ANY MORE STUPID QUESTIONS KIDS??

this a floor is defined as the lower surface of a room on which one may walk

outside of basements, which are below ground, obviously the "first" floor is the floor you would FIRST step onto when entering a building, hence "first"

it makes no sense to call the second story of a building (by architectural standards) as the "first" floor

ass backwards english again
as always

maybe because they need to take a "lift" (elevator) while eating "biscuits" (cookies)

dumbasses

There is also a key to unlocking locked doors.

maybe move to an actual city, Jethro
do they have indoor plumbing in the next town near you?

Actually no. NJ not too far from NYC. AFAIK, the floor above ground level has always been called the first floor here.

So is the whole earth the 1st floor?

What do they call basements in the UK? Underground Level? Oh wait, I remember now, 'place to hide'

I live in major metropolitan area in a 12 story high rise. The buttons in the elevator say "1-12".

. . . the only correct response

/thread

Jersey? Fuck, it's even worse than I thought.

Why is it always eurofags who start these? Because Americans don't give a shit about what you all are doing, while America is pretty much all you guys think about

When you're counting things do you start at 0 or 1?

I rest my case

What the fuck is a lift? Use real words

really? how are the rooms in a building numbered where you live?
are the ones on the ground/first floor numbered 101, 102, 103... or g1, g2, g3...?

Basement. Or cellar, depending on what's kept in it and how it's accessed.
Out of interest, what would I be hiding from in my (correctly named )cellar?

Lol. You are retarded. I live in Jersey.
1st floor is the floor on the ground level everywhere in the world, including, yeah, Jersey
only brits use ground floor to describe first floor, and call the second floor the first floor

actually, i was referring to "A BUILDING FLOOR IS A REAL LIFE OBJECT NOT A PROGRAMMING ABSTRACTION YA PLONKEH LEL"

Your freaking lift is doing the translation "-2 -1 0 1 2 3" to "B2, B1, 'First Floor', '2F', '3F'" when you take it, you overweight pansy.

>storey
>lift

Ftfy

the "earth" is not a "floor" at all
how dumb are you that you have to twist reality and argue the absurd in an effort to appear to be right?
grow up
half the shit you think you "know" is wrong
get used to it, kid

>everywhere in the world
Nope

I recognise that house
google.co.uk/maps/@52.2054925,0.1261788,3a,75y,127.42h,101.27t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sC166tvdlq3qo_5U3Fy3WMQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

I heard they can't even make a left turn in NJ. They have to make 3 rights.

true story from Boston USA

>cops planning on raiding drug dealer
>informant is from UK
>"blimey govn'r, the guy you're looking for lives on the first floor"
>cops raid the first floor apartment (USA first floor)
>minister who lives there has heart attack
>drug dealer who lived on second floor disappeared

lol, I'm actually from France (wait, that's better, right?)

because when we count we say 'one two three' not 'ground one two' fucktard

Yeah, France is better than New Jersey and I fucking hate France.

You have to admit floor 1 makes more sense than "ground floor"

How many stone do you weigh?

The first floor as in 1 floor above the GROUND. When you are on the first floor, you are one level above the ground. When you are on the second floor you are 2 stories up. Why the fuck would you want those numbers to be unrepresenative of the number of levels above ground? With Ground/Main floor being approxiamately level with the earth

Now that's some high level horse cockery. Even Canada uses ground or main floor most of the time (only place ive seen otherwise is university of calgary)

yeah, but you've never been to france and i only got to SanFrancisco (and Quebec, but fuck'em). So who knows?

not all of us are amerifags

It's not a matter of counting things. It's a matter of naming things. Ground floor is self explanatory. First floor is just that. It's the first floor above ground level. What would you call the level between the basement and the first floor if you were counting them? The nought floor? Are you mental? Who the fuck calls the ground floor the nought floor? Fucking Americans, can't even get ground floor right, even with all the clues and the internet to help. No wonder cave dwelling sand niggers foiled you nations defences and managed to park their airplanes in Manhattan.
>US not too bright
>call ground floor nought floor
>get rammed by airborne Arabs
>all the floors fall
>¿
>profit

lol

as if the english can lay claim allowing a plant to over grow a building??????????????????????????????

youtube.com/watch?v=CdMfciMgfCk

Umm, he's essentially right.
Misnaming the first floor (which is actually the "first" actual "floor" you step onto when entering a building) as the ground floor and then calling the next storey above it the second floor originated in England as a tax evasion trick created by the English to avoid English common law tax codification which assessed tax explicitly by the enumeration of "first" floor, "second" floor, etc.
Prior to the tax evasion efforts, the English in fact used the term "first" floor for the ground level floor. Because they exported this same odd nomenclature during their period of colonization, other parts of Europe followed and the colonies adopted the same.

The trend has been to go by the natural nomenclature of "first" actually being the first "floor" (ground floor you first walk on when entering a building, which is the actual first floor), and the old tax-evasion common usage of calling the second floor the first floor is increasingly becoming extinct.

It really never made sense anyway when you think about it.

tl;dr
Most of the world calls the floor you enter into on a building from the ground as the "first floor" and no one has to do math and subtract out stories above to figure out your elevation otherwise.

You saying "Nope" as a response just proves you are a dipshit.

>nought
really? can't you Brits use real words instead of making shit up?

I weigh 12 stone 3lbs
I'm 6'2"
I have 32" waste and a 34" inside leg
I shoot you with my 9mm
I'm so confused

that's a lot of non standard units you are using here.

>I have 32" waste
say no more. please. say no more.

and by most you mean "everywhere i have been", aka "the US of fucking yeah A"

Dude, you just don't get it because you've been indoctrinated into britschoolmindfuck.

What you said is only logical if you start from your fucked up premise of having the first floor not actually be the first floor you step on when entering a building.

Hint: it's a "floor". Your fucked up "first floor" is the first ceiling, which first ceiling makes the floor below it--necessarily the first floor. And again, logically it is the FIRST floor you walk into on an building.

32/32 here. got a problem with it feggit?

That's definitely the gayest, look how clever I am, hand up in class, I know I know pick me pick me pick meeee thing I've read here for a while.
You are dull and will die a virgin.

Correction, not all of us are fortunate enough to live in the best country in the universe

I prefer the US method. The ground floor is still a floor, and it IS the first one.