Westworld

Is this the greatest scifi you never hear anyone talk about?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=LUxxaJINhh0
youtube.com/watch?v=d5zapW5iqCU
youtube.com/watch?v=lSW2pPlZF-M
youtube.com/watch?v=eaam5Eso1hU&channel=UClxGPt-HBhaBpjQ1xaMDQBQ
youtube.com/watch?v=4hLXOVCZr-8
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landmaster
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

that would be World on a Wire

t. guy who just watched westworld

yass

some great shots too

p o t t e r y

T2, but before T2

Always thought this had neat poster art. Never saw it tho.

one of my favorite movies

It was good, but not that great.

That's not Outland

Saw this randomly on tv as a kid
It's dope

I watched it for the first time recently and thought it was okay but nothing special. It took a long time to get going for a film of a fairly short length. I was actually anticipating it being more of a horror and not as comedic.

sounds good

It was quite good, but I don't believe it was the greatest.

Please anons I need more obscure SF-kino like this, Dark City, Decoder, Red Spectacles, Footprints on the Moon, etc.

Creator of Jurassic Park - Michael Crichton. Replace androids with dinosaurs, and presto-change-O.

Although I haven't done too much research into how much of Michael Crichton's original Westworld was changed by the studio, or the producers before finally hitting the screen.

During the mid-70s there was a constant obsession with robot faces. A face would pop off to reveal circuitry.
Six Million Dollar Man, and others close to the times ran with this popular trend, which COULD be attributed to Westworld's success.

Holy fugg.

I've never heard of it but it looks cool as hell.

youtube.com/watch?v=LUxxaJINhh0

don't watch the trailer, it spoils the whole movie

Never seen it but I grew up with the sequel on a home VHS. It was pretty good for young-me. They reopen the park after fixing the robots, but now there's a sinister plot to replace real people with the bots. I still love the scenes where the protagonists are being chased by robot versions of themselves. The robots were made EXACTLY like them, including any flaws. Thus the robots are goading them with snide, self-deprecating comments that apply to them as well.

>This isn't going to get us anywhere. We're both lousy shots!
youtube.com/watch?v=d5zapW5iqCU

This is a good thread

Also, Andromeda Strain. Good old slow sci-fi, hard on the science part

youtube.com/watch?v=lSW2pPlZF-M

Not posting the ultimate robotfu.

Back the fuck off

Underrated Sci Fi films:

Cherry 2000
Picnic At Hanging Rock
The Sender

That film had the first ever 3d wire-frame face I'd ever seen. 1976.

>Picnic At Hanging Rock
>Sci-fi
What

Tetsuo counts doesn't it?

> >Picnic At Hanging Rock

think about it

Great premise disappointing execution.
Especially when it turns into a chase scene near the end

It's not good at all.
spoilers not that you should ever watch it
>robot world where you pretend to be either a cowboy or a knight
>robots go crazy
>for some reason the only people capable of controlling the robots are locked in a room with a limited air supply, all suffocate
>robot chases some guy, eventually the robot dies
big fucking deal

I'm not even oversimplifying, that's literally all that happens

I'd say the execution of the chase scene was somewhat disappointing, but not having a chase scene.

I enjoy chase scenes. Stop pretending to be a phony intellectual as if action sequences are below your disciplined taste. I hate when people complain about action sequences because they think it makes them seem smarter.

Been a while but

Are you implying that they were abducted? Or is there something else? It's been a decade since I saw it

It's a great film anyway

Possibly the most boring and pointless movie ever made.

Speaking of which, how do you all think the HBO series will turn?

clocks and strange dissaperances and reappearances.

you need to watch it again.

that's not Until the End of the World (1991)

And here comes the hate, just in time to inform us with insults about why what we've enjoyed shouldn't be because it is boring, pointless, or "stupid".
Your timing is as predictable as always.

I liked the movie, the upcoming shows seems interesting and i'll watch it, but apparently takes out the fun of the movie.

Ed Harris being the robot cowboy gets me hyped

Why so defensive? Maybe you subconsciously know that it's shit.

The Blackhole has a scene like that too.

Yeah, I think so too

Gonna torrent it now

Don't bother replying, either they are retards with the "hurr durr slow boring" or trolling.

Not worth it

Maybe I don't care, and you continue to fail to see the pointlessness of your efforts to detach those who have already formed their opinions.

Too late, I typed it.

Westworld (1973)
Futureworld (1976)
Beyond Westworld (tv show; 1980)
Westworld (tv show; Oct 2016)

Who hype for the reboot tv show?

No SF in it whatsoever. More to do with Abo dream time and supernatural shit if anything.

Westworld was a fucking chase movie, don't act like it's too intellectual for people. Andromeda Strain on the other hand is slow and boring.
>new disease, better assemble some scientists
>decontamination process
>ok I ran some tests
>I ran some more tests
>we've made some progress
>uh oh time running out, better run some more tests
>yay we found a cure
and it only took 140 minutes to tell that story

A supernatural occurence is only a phenomenon yet to be explained by science.

tips fedora

No one implied WW is high brow but it's sci-fi
Slow and boring movies can still be good, don't get your panties in a bunch when people like something you don't

Go back to the suicide squad thread or where ever

fuck now im doing it too

But Andromeda Strain is GOAT for science nerds. I'd love more movies with that level of hard science in it.

>Who hype for the reboot tv show?
It has great potential for a reboot but why yet another reboot? What about original ideas? It's no surprise of course Abrams is behind this too. Considering his touch of death for other old franchises I don't have high expectations for this.

>fuck now im doing it too

I know exactly what you mean. Seems as if they arrive every day at the exact same time. Then they wait until the thread has a certain amount of compliments, then they start with their same old schlock.
They post the same threads too, like that 2001 A Space Odyssey post.
What's with them?
I've learned to ignore them, but as irritating as it is I remain amused at the consistency of their insults. Its as if a script they've memorized ignoring that we've accepted what we like despite their childish insults.

>JON-A-THAN! JON-A-THAN! JON-A-THAN! JON-A-THAN! JON-A-THAN! JON-A-THAN! JON-A-THAN!

That's really well summarized dear user

Well, ultimately we flee the thread because the children have crashed the party of interest, and again it never occurs to them that our opinions remain unchanged, or that we'll just move on to something else we're interested in.

Yeah, these threads are great while they last. Sup Forums CAN be good

Forgot this one OP, but West World is great

You know it

Thread dead, man I'm always late to the party

No one?

Do I have to talk to myself?

yes it is OP

the best part is how the badass suave guy gets deaded and we're left with the dorky sidekick as the hero. Shame the HBO remake looks like dogshit

Lurking here too

I remember only one part of this movie, ants coming out of someone. It gave traumas when I saw it as a child.

Yeah, personally I can watch all kinds of horror, from the cheap Italian knock offs with weird eyeball squishing scenes to serious gore, but that movie freaked me out more than anything in recent memory.

What do you think about Strange Days, it's pretty good 90's Sci Fi

One of my favorites. Messed up and great.

So damn good.

It had some cyberpunkish quality to it which I liked personally very much. Fiennes was also very good in it from what I remember.
The future in it was also cool, being not very distant and L.A. looking almost the same.

How 'bout Outland, with Sean Connery?

>Outland, with Sean Connery

Never heard of it, but it sounds interesting, will check out

It's really good and way underappreciated
It's by the director who made 2010, the sequel to 2001. It's actually surprisingly good but quite pointless.

There is an awesome copy on the internet floating around that has Westworld and Futureworld.

I was underwhelmed. It seemed like half of a movie that wasn't well executed.

Crichton said himself that MGM at the time was a total shitshow and the movie wasn't even fully cast until two days before initial shooting and they ordered multiple rewrites.

It is neat that other movies like T2 and JP clearly took elements from Westworld. But it should be said that Yul Brenner is essentially just playing his exact same character down to the outfit from Magnificent Seven.

>surprisingly good but quite pointless

Kek, that hasn't stopped me from watching movies yet.

That's the spirit, Roy Scheider is awesome too

Kyle Maclachlan is the eccentric FBI agent chasing an alien parasite with the ability to possess human bodies that goes on a violent crime spree in LA

I actually saw this only a week ago, because I remember someone telling me it was the inspiration for the Itchy and Scratchy Land episode of the Simpsons.

Thoroughly enoyed it. Yul Brynner plays a great unstoppable killer.

I suggest this movie as well, it's very creative and is pretty funny.

>for some reason

Because they shut down the power to everything to shut off the robots, but that backfires because the doors are electronic.

Let's see how the TV show does.

Sci-fi Kino:
Beyond the Black Rainbow
Sunshine
Phase IV
Carnosaur
The Terminator
The Terminator 2: Judgement Day
Starship Troopers
Star Wars

The list goes on

Three astronauts trapped in orbit witness as World War 3 obliterates 99% humanity in the wake of a nuclear holocaust. Two months later, the astronauts crash-land on Earth and are forced to survive not only radiation poisoning, but two warring groups of disparate survivors.

Bleak as hell, and a little dated, but still totally worth watching.

doesn't fit as "greatest" anything, but I just finished this and if you like shit like Dead Space (the video game series), Event Horizon, Pandorum, basically sci-fi horror, check this movie out.

I completely forgot this one, it's fantastic, it's got great effects, and the story feels huge, because it encompasses such a large world, but it works cause Canon put a lot of money into it.

There are a couple versions, I suggest watching the one with the big loud opening credits, it really sets the mood, and I think that's the uncensored version, but I'll have to check. I can't shill this movie enough guys, it's great.

I remember seeing the trailer for this and I thought it looked good. Once I saw it on Netflix I gave it a shot and was a solid 8/10.

Found the credits, they are great

youtube.com/watch?v=eaam5Eso1hU&channel=UClxGPt-HBhaBpjQ1xaMDQBQ

The film didn't do well at the box office despite being amazing, it's a bummer cause this was one of Canon's bigger budget flicks. I also love that french girls have no shame.

Fuck yeah Captain Picard

Seriously underappreciated movie. Not masterpiece, but still good film.

>his first on screen kiss was with a dude
made me kek when I found out

Yeah, I agree, I quite liked the idea of living someone else's memories.

Soylent Green

Outside of a few references in Futurama and a couple of shows, I rarely hear ahout it

It's a classic

Silent Running with Bruce Dern is also great.
Dern makes the movie and Cimino wrote it. The robots are cool as fuck

Then there's Logan's Run but personally I don't think that highly of it, the idea(s) are cool but the execution, not so much.

Beat me to it. Shurely shum mishtake by the OP.

It was one of the those movies I had on a harddrive forever for some reason so I just flipped it on and ended up enjoying it. I wouldn't say 8/10, but it's still really solid, especially for sci-fi horror which is a subgenre that doesn't see enough movies being made. Wish they had focused more on the thing they found though.

I kinda feel that Soylent Green has been forgotten in the 21st century. It used to always be highly regarded and referenced.

My opinion is of the opposite, Logan's Run is good yet Silent Running stinks.

I think Soylent Green is one of those movies that was spoiled by pop culture, kinda like Planet of the Apes, with references on tv shows like the Simpsons.

I also prefer Silent Running.

THE FUTURE IS COMING
youtube.com/watch?v=4hLXOVCZr-8

feel the vapor

>Blood of Heroes

My friends and I loved this movie in high school. We watched it so many times. I probably haven't seen it in over 20 years.

I had no idea anyone else even knew about this movie.

Unless you're Chip, in which case, Ed says hi.

>YFW Fox had more faith in this than in A New Hope.

Kek, the effects were a lot worse in this than in Star Wars, if I remember correctly.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landmaster

this is still cool though.

>Jan-Michael Vincent
>Jackie Earle Haley
>$8 million

Looks like an 80s straight to video release

The last act is kind of disappointing.

The director's commentary track for this is pretty great. You can tell he loved making the movie and he has nothing but praise for the special effects team and the actors involved. The whole evolution of how people saw computer technology back then and how we do today. It's really a pleasant listen.

Hot shit I love that movie. Aristocratic bureaucracy verses the spirit of the blue collar everyman fighting for meaning in the suffering. A gladiatorial blood sport designed by THE MAN to undermine individual effort and keep society class based. Great sets and excellent cinematography and performances all round. I was as pissed off at the re make as most of the kids are now at the new ghost busters.

Oh THX such a beautiful aesthete, well executed proper adult sci fi from George lucas before star wars. He was capable of so much before he started to milk the sw cash cow, eventually whoring it out til it became a laughing stock and parody of itself , eventually flogging it to Disney for another few billion. But I certainly don't hate the guy, he singlehandedly made the cinema experience technically state of the art and continuesd to push for higher fidelity