Can we just talk about how shit religion is for a minute?

Can we just talk about how shit religion is for a minute?

What can you think of, other than greed, that has caused more bigotry and hatred towards other people with no justifiable reason?

*tips fedora*

My know someone that believes in God/Jesus Christ however tells me ghosts and aliens aren't real.

The person accepts that dinosaurs were once alive on the earth, believes in evolution AND creationism.

Jealousy, stupidity. Religion is the excuse, not necessarily the reason.

Can we just talk shit about how shit philosophy is for a minute?

What can you think of, other than greed, that has caused more bigotry and hatred towards other people with no justifiable reason?

does anyone else in here have a boner

Can we just talk shit about how shit Sup Forums is for a minute?

this

basic muslim girl chilling (what do you know...)

>believes in evolution AND creationism
So? The two aren't mutually exclusive

You can't possibly believe that the world is both a couple thousand years old AND a couple million years old (and I am NOT getting into multiple demotions and realms right now)

You can't say the "Holy Spirit" exists and have disbelief that other people's spirits can exists after death.

To believe in the entity of GOD and say there's no chance of other forms of intelligent life in the entire universe.

I don't think you know what you're talking about. First, I'm not an extreme orthodox Christian, second the Catholic Church has accepted evolution since the 1960s (actually there were popes trying to get evolution accepted as early as the late 1800s), third I was raised Catholic but all of my science teachers taught us that the earth is over 6 billion years old. I have yet to meet any Catholic that says the earth is only thousands of years old. Catholics do believe that other people's spirits exist after death, it's called heaven. To believe in God, there's no limit saying that you can not believe in other intelligent organisms in this universe, most Catholics believe that God created humans in a certain way. Rather than listening to Penn Jillette or Richard Dawkins, try learning about religion, okay?

religion did a lot of good and a lot of bad
religion just did a lot

>catholics accept evolution

no they fucking don't. Please explain to me exactly how evolution is "directed" by god. Is god the one putting random mutations in DNA? Or are the mutations truly random and god is the one selecting which mutations become "chosen" by natural selection, in either case that's not evolution as sciecne knows it, that's some nonscientific bullshit masquerading as real science.

Fuck you and your "heaven" bullshit, you know exactly what I was talking you fucking faggot.

I was raised Roman Catholic, now atheist.

> try learning about religion, okay?

Fuck you, faggot.

>the earth is over 6 billion years old

you're dumb or your teachers were shit. The earth is like 4.5 billion years old, not 6 billion you fucking retard.

intelligent design is what they believe in and what they're really concerned with is more esoteric and philisophical rather than literal

Ok, but intelligent design isn't evolution. Evolution is a very specific mechanism by which truly random mutations are selected via selective pressures in an environment. If you believe in any way that god "directs" evolution, that's not really evolution, that's a stupid way to try to lie to yourself that your bronze age mythology is somehow compatible with 21st century science and it's pathetic.

>no they fucking don't.
I've gone to 4 Catholic schools, including one university, all taught us evolution. The priests even accepted evolution. It could be possible that God created the Big Bang, or whatever started the universe, then just let it be. That's what I believe, everyone is different.
y u mad tho
>being this autistic
Oh no, I made a mistake! How ever can I come back from something like this? Oh, my life is ruined.
That wasn't the point of the argument, retard. It was just an example showing that a major religion does not teach the earth is thousands of years old.

they're not all that well versed in science but their best arguments basically say God is responsible for the creation of the universe and he permeates everything so God "directs" literally everything: only man has free will

all irrefutable claims and not really in the realm of science

does bread become toast because God wanted it to change or because the heat from the toaster caused it to change?

Yea, imma go with God....that makes sense

nogs aren't sentient and don't feel pain
not sure how you managed to elect one twice but at least it's getting fixed

If god created the earth in 7 days how is the big bang relevant, along with evolution.

I am so glad I am not you, I am so glad I don't know you.

religion is fine...its the practitioners that corrupt it just like everything elsse

>For starving niggers
There, I fixed it for you.

>implying anyone here gives a fuck if the earth is 4.5billion or 9987238 zillion years old you fucking turbo

a human being who has free will decided to toast bread

Poptarts

>It could be possible that God created the Big Bang, or whatever started the universe, then just let it be

So you believe that 99% of the bible is false then? Or are just "metaphors?" Because the bible is pretty damn specific about the garden of eden and the fallibility of man and original sin so if you really don't believe all that then why are you even a Christian, you fucking idiot? If you think most of your stupid holy book isn't even true? Fuckin kek.

How is it God's fault that we're really shitty human beings? Do you have an extra chromosome?

>What can you think of, other than greed, that has caused more bigotry and hatred towards other people with no justifiable reason?
Fear.

old testament
also unless you go to a jesus camp tier church they teach you not to take bible literally

>HEY GUYS DONT TAKE THE BIBLE LITERALLY ITS OBVIOUSLY JUST MAGICAL METAPHORS LOL

>HEY GUYS BUT A 2000 YEAR OLD MAGICAL ZOMBIE DID REALLY COME BACK TO LIFE AND CAN FLY WITH HIS MAGICAL POWERS THATS 100% TOTALLY REAL MAGICAL GOD SHIT YO THAT SHIT WAS TOTALLY REAL

this is just ignorance

Firstly, accepting the science behind evolution is not required to throw god out the window. If you can see why belief in the tooth fairy is retarded, then you can equally see why belief in a god is retarded.
Secondly, evolution comes with a fucking MOUNTAIN of evidence to support it.
Christians - your favourite god comes with precisely zero evidence to support the claim. And all of the other thousands of gods which have been created by conmen also come with the same amount of evidence. Zero.

Racism

So Christians don't believe in zombie Jesus's magical powers? I'm pretty sure that's the low benchmark of all Christians, at a minimum all Christians have to believe in the magical Jewish zombie mythology.

Muslims dont drink

the only scientifically inconsistent thing that you have to believe to be Catholic is the resurrection and the trinity

also, the virgin mary
and the euchrist

anyway it's really about wisdom and spirituality rather than explaining the world

No, it's not fine. Telling people lies in order to keep them stupid and ignorant so that you can control them and steal their cash is not good for a society.
Read up on religiosity vs societal health indicators.

im 100% sure that's bad science

That's quite a lot of retarded nonscientificmagical bullshit you need to believe

>magical biologically impossible resurrections of the dead
>human parthenogenesis
>transubstantiation

It's all metaphorical. There are two stories of creation in Genesis. The seven days one is there to tell us that we need a day of rest.
The oldest written book in the Old Testament is Job. Everything before that was written after. And no, I'm not a Christian, I converted to Judaism. The Jewish Bible is important because it essentially gives us reminders in life. Example, the Book of Job, don't lose hope/faith in yourself or in God. Solomon: The smartest decisions are ones that are based on compassion. Samson and Delilah: Be wary and don't let yourself be deceived. Also, the Jewish Bible has cultural importance.

Exactly.

It's hilarious that christians will apologise for the small bits of bullshit in the bible and tell us not to take them literally, but when it comes to an invisible guy zapping up a UNIVERSE with a magic wand, well we definitely SHOULD take that shit literally.

Christians. Dumb as dogshit.

>Telling people lies in order to keep them stupid and ignorant so that you can control them and steal their cash is not good for a society.
You just described a lot of politicians...

Politicians at least have the decency to pay tax.

>converted to judaism
y tho

you also have to believe the father, the son and the holy spirit are three beings in one

but it's irrelevent whether it's physically possible or not, this is a belief system and science doesn't operate on beliefs

the most importent belief they hold is that Jesus died on the cross and rose on the third day to free us from sin so all people are innocent

that means no matter how far you stray from God there is always hope for you

what do scientists say happened before the big bang?

truth is we have no clue

>that means no matter how far you stray from God there is always hope for you

Thank god. No matter how many people I've murdered I call still make it to heaven if I really, really, REALLY am sorry! That's god! Oh, that decent human being who just so happens to have been born in a hindu country? HAH FUCK THAT GUYS HES GOING TO HELL

no that hindu would go to heaven (if he did god's work)
and it takes more than an apology

imagine god was your dad, he would always love you no matter what right

Those in religious orders do pay taxes (priests, ministers, etc.), Churches don't

Because I just don't have the same beliefs as the Catholic Church. I still believe in God, but I needed to search more and I landed upon Judaism.

>truth is we have no clue

Precisely. The scientific community will acknowledge this fact openly. Religions will fabricate lies about it.

God loves us, so why would he want to separate from us?
The religious are apart of the scientific community.

The people arguing in this thread from both sides are so fucking retarded. My head hurts pls help.
NotLikeThis NotLikeThis

you need a barka to cover that ugly face

It's just like anything else, you can use it to try and justify anything. Religion has been used to justify both terrible and wonderful things. "Love thy neighbor" might be the solution to all the world's problems, if it were actually practiced.