youtube.com/watch?v=Ol4NKdl8Hho
m.youtube.com/watch?v=DaN6H2aYC6I
youtube.com/watch?v=SjfspM5sDIA
pudding.cool/2017/02/vocabulary/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Redirect all hip hop threads here.

lol no

that shit didn't work in 2014 and it wont work now

you realize most hip-hop related threads are there to talk about certain artists right?

all you did was make a thread about nothing

try again.

is this best hip-hop album of 2017 so far?

youtube.com/watch?v=YxqeDUJWX9U

These threads are for ALL hip hop.

If classical, jazz and bleep can do it and they are massive compared to hip hop, so can you.

hip-hop is more diverse and relevant than those genres today

it doesn't make sense to put all of it one thread

>hip-hop is more diverse
kek

/bleep/ is for 4 completely different genres each as big and varied as hip hop and equally relevant and they manage it

>it doesn't make sense to put all of it one thread
it really does

if you want this board to turn into nicely segmented sub-boards, there's a reddit somewhere waiting for you

otherwise, if you really expect XXX posters and kendrick shills to get along in the same thread you're delusional

nope. pretty good though

Its already like this with /classical/, /jazz/, /bleep/ etc but the difference between all those posters and hip hop fans is they are adult and mature enough to be considerate to others and not spam and flood the board and talk about all artists within the huge umbrellas of those genres together.

that's because there's less to discuss about classical and jazz, which is why it fits in one thread to begin with

i just counted at least 20 hip-hop threads in the catalog all about different topics, there's no reason to force it all together, and there never has been in the history of this board which makes it clear how new you must be here

Hopsin is the GOAT.

Where did BOOTY go?

His underground dumps were legendary.

wow he real gah damn senpai lolmzlxnosjiaudiw890792687734334587g387y7t3ty3yut3yu4yfyuurfy736r46781623132313134

>watches family guy religiously

Kendrick Lamar in no way deserves five threads a day just for his disgusting album art. If you want to make a comment or question about him, it perfectly fits here.

there are more hip-hop thread than just about kendrick

next non-arguement?

Kendrick is just a current example, but all the XXX, Lil Peep, Uzi Vert, Yachty, and every other relevant rapper could also fit into this thread. The only decent hip hop threads are Memphis generals, and again those are only good because it's a general thread.

At least in diversity you're wrong in all of them.

you just don't seem to understand that hip-hop is at peak popularity

there was never an 'indie' general when indie was at peak popularity

and there was never a metal general when metal was at peak popularity

there's far too much to discuss to fit in one thread

kendrick fans become autistic at the sight of XXX and Lil Peep and just call the people posting them shills, it's much easier to just have those posters hide the threads they don't want to see then have to all sit in the same thread together, which is how this board has always worked

Guys I really fucking like this cover

youtube.com/watch?v=Ol4NKdl8Hho

Is there something wrong (right) with me?

>At least in diversity you're wrong in all of them.
how so?

Half of this was shit. Amerikkkan Korruption is best until new Kendrick inevitably reigns.

>general music board
>general

Why are rap fans so childish they have to flood and spam the board and can't contain their threads into just one or two like every other genre/umbrella?

because there's more to talk about with rap than other genres

What a stupid and awful thing to say. Especially about a genre where the lyrical themes are identical among artists.

>Especially about a genre where the lyrical themes are identical among artists.
What a stupid and awful thing to say.

go back to posting 'rap is all about bitches, money and guns' on youtube

Its literally EDM with rapping

>>>r/music

>rap is rapping guys!!!

Go back to your containment thread

Rap is a vocal style existing for centuries before hip hop started.

What are those genres?

Techno
House
Breaks
UKGarage

Only the last isn't as old as hip hop

Rapping, spoken word poetry, and the rhythmic oral storytelling of the West African griots are not the same.

>all vocals to a beat

Yes, they are.

>vocals to a beat
This literally describes all popular music. Simplifying your argument doesn't make it more credible, just easier to dismiss.

H-hello African Americans and others interested in hip hop. I would like to ask you if you're older than 17 and still listen to this genre unironically. do you actually take it seriously?

Is it the lyrical content that you deem worthy of serious attention? Is it sort of an aesthetic that becomes more and more interesting the more you immerse yourself in the genre? I'm assuming hip hop becomes highly referential the more you listen to it, so it's only natural that more intricacies surface and you're able to negotiate them better as you acquire more knowledge.

B-but, do you actually take it seriously? The author is dead in hip-hop. I'm sure you know that. And the industry involved in its making isn't really concerned with art. Your interpretation might raise it to that level, but I feel as if it's an autistic aesthetic effort more than anything else.

You're all joking with the hip hop meme, right?

pic related is the best future release out of the DS2, evol, etc era seriously. its production is better and more consistent than DS2 100%. also, i get that HNDRX was his most emotional album but I still thought it was shit/his worst

You'd dismissed any argument before this conversation started so its pointless anyway.

hip-hop has been electronic music for a minute. i listen to hip-hop for the production 99% of the time, specifically trap, because unless i'm listening to juke/footwork, I don't hear that exhibition of of 808 drums, especially bass, anywhere else. if you can prove me wrong I'd be happy to stop listening to trap but right now it feels a void in percussion exhibition in my opinion. their synths are usually pretty lovely as well though

That sort of insistence is more dismissive than mine is, because you're presupposing intent instead of articulating meaningful contradiction, which only serves to set you up for one of two responses
>no, you're wrong.
>well you just say that because...

>hip-hop has been electronic music for a minute.

What? Its always been electronic bar the odd outlier like The Roots.

To me your argument is about as sound as saying the Cubism has existed for thousands of years because who HASN'T used lines before?

>your argument

Not mine, every resource, database and academia internationally since Kool Herc arrived in the Bronx.

why are you being so disrespectful to the ancestors and roots who started rapping or whateverthefuckyouwanttocallit nigga

Can you guys reccomend me anything similar to this?
m.youtube.com/watch?v=DaN6H2aYC6I
I normally don't listen to hip hop but this is dope, I want more

>(you)

I'm talking about culture and words. Categorization. Call it musical taxonomy. Your goddamn definition is infantile.

Respectable, except for the fact Chance is out of place on a list with Kendrick, Earl, and Vince Staples

He has the popularity of Kendrick and a well managed artistic maturity, some of the best lyrics in hip hop, and he's one of the only rappers that plays with melody.

And Surf was incredible. People who don't like him have either never had a girlfriend or never made someone laugh before.

>People who don't like him have either never had a girlfriend or never made someone laugh before
dude
i like chance but that was real fruity

>People who don't like him have either never had a girlfriend or never made someone laugh before.
dawg most people who like chance are in their first semester of college

he's literally fratboy rap, certainly belongs nowhere near the words 'best lyrics'

Is this the best Lil Peep tape?

> certainly belongs nowhere near the words 'best lyrics'

hip hop doesn't belong near the words 'best lyrics'. There is a hierarchy within its own framework and it might be useful to differentiate between forms of cancer and prefer one over another, but please tell me you're not actually taking hip hop lyrics seriously

T. I'm not woke

I'm certainly not woke

>but please tell me you're not actually taking hip hop lyrics seriously
why not? kanye is a poet among the rest

erm, s-son, do you mind if I call you that? I suspect you're quite young. I also suspect you're not a big fan of literature or poetry since you're calling kanye a poet.

I see, I'm being trolled

>Gossip, gossip, nigga just stop it
>Everybody know I'm a motherfucking monster
>I'ma need to see your fucking hands at the concert
>Profit, profit, nigga I got it
>Everybody know I'm a motherfucking monster
>I'ma need to see your fucking hands

riiiiight

>please tell me you're not actually taking hip hop lyrics seriously
Why should hip hop lyrics not be taken as seriously? If anything, hip hop focuses more on lyricism than a lot of other genres.
>inb4 Chief Keef, Viper, or Soulja Boy lyrics
Every genre has artists with shit tier lyrics.

No there isn't

>No there isn't
very convincing arguement

Every duplicate hip hop thread that floods the catalog is some one word shitpost, so your argument doesn't really hold.

because those lyrics intended as social commentary translate as the discourse of an adolescent activist with very little historical understanding and few ethical considerations. That's over 50% of the so called ' woke' category. Then you have relationship lyrics and feels which also translate to me as laments of an emotionally underdeveloped teenager with narcissistic tendencies. I can agree that some lyrics have some literary merit, but their actual content is infantile. I guess you could find it revealing if you don't read, but guys, you should be reading.

Pls stop shitposting and answer

>thread about death grips, not a one word shitpost
>thread about lil ugly mane, not a one word shitpost
>under-rated hip-hop album thread, not a one word shitpost
>The Top 10 Hip-Hop Albums of All Time, not a one word shitpost
why do you even complain about hip-hop threads when you can't recognize them? does hip-hop annoy you that much? you know you can just hide those threads right?

>social commentary
hip hop lyricism is generally judged on how the message is conveyed, not what the message is. Creativity and cleverness with wordplay and rhyme structure is a lot more important.
If you're looking to hip hop or really music in general for 'social commentary' with 'historical understanding' and 'ethical considerations,' you might be retarded.

>I guess you could find it revealing if you don't read
Are you seriously trying to brag about reading?

Since you asked nicely
If it's the horns you like there's a lot of tracks that sample horns.
youtube.com/watch?v=SjfspM5sDIA
Danny brown and MF DOOM

>hip hop lyricism is generally judged on how the message is conveyed, not what the message is
and aestheticized discourse can lend itself to the ramblings of a clinical retards, that is true. I have already conceited that there might be some literary merit to some lyrics in hip hop, but the cleverness you are speaking of is that of a 6th grader that's well trained in poetry.

And I wouldn't rush to dismiss the motivations of hip hop listeners. Being unironically 'woke' is a direct result of people listening for social commentary.

>Are you seriously trying to brag about reading?
I guess, yeah. All I'm saying is that if you had an active interest in literature, the criteria and standards by which you judge hip hop lyrics would objectively get a bit more sophisticated and you wouldn't derive as much pleasure from them. You can still get autistic when it comes to creating an aesthetic of hip hop as a form of expression, but you wouldn't take it seriously.

What I like in the song are the vocal samples, and the mix between upbeat music and dark athmosphere
But I like what you reccopended, thanks

>electronic
>music
kys

>but the cleverness you are speaking of is that of a 6th grader that's well trained in poetry
That's just not true. It's not even a matter of opinion. If the songs you listen to are commercially popular #Bangerz then yeah, but when you get into actual lyrical hip hop it's much more complex and crafted than that.

>motivations of hip hop listeners
Whatever it happens to be, the motivation of the listeners doesn't affect the music.

>an active interest in literature
I could tell you that I do, in fact, have an active interest in literature and MIRACULOUSLY still enjoy hip hop, but you seem like the type to turn reading into a dick measuring contest.

You seem like you haven't put in the time to seek out and listen to some of hip hop's extremely talented writers, writers that are way beyond Chance, Kendrick, or Vince Staples lyrically. I'm sure if we looked at whatever genre you think has the 'best lyrics,' the most popular songs would be equal, if not worse, lyrically, than someone like Kendrick.

Also, before you try to use a vocabulary that you think gives off the impression that you're intelligent, you should google the definition of conceded as opposed to conceited. All I'm saying is that if you had an active interest in literature, you probably wouldn't have to.

>dawg most people who like chance are in their first semester of college

Like the vast majority of Sup Forums posters.

>That's just not true. It's not even a matter of opinion. If the songs you listen to are commercially popular #Bangerz then yeah, but when you get into actual lyrical hip hop it's much more complex and crafted than that.
>You seem like you haven't put in the time to seek out and listen to some of hip hop's extremely talented writers, writers that are way beyond Chance, Kendrick, or Vince Staples lyrically. I'm sure if we looked at whatever genre you think has the 'best lyrics,' the most popular songs would be equal, if not worse, lyrically, than someone like Kendrick.

I'm open to recommendations. I grew up on hip hop, grew out of it a long time ago. Like I said, I'm open to recs.

>Whatever it happens to be, the motivation of the listeners doesn't affect the music.
I agree, but we were talking about motivations there.

>conceded vs conceited
Fair enough. either auto-correct or brain fart.

>Like the vast majority of Sup Forums posters.
i'd suspect more are in high school unless the demographics changed since i started posting

No.

solid 6/10

UHHHHHH I PUT THAT PUSSEH IN A SARCOPHAGUS

Recommendations are difficult, because different people like different mixes of beats and flows, but if you listened to hip hop a long time ago, you have probably either heard or would like MF DOOM or Aesop Rock. MF DOOM is considered by a lot of people to have some of the greatest lines in history.

Also, personally, I think Lil Ugly Mane has some excellent wordplay and an incredible vocabulary, and deserves to be mentioned when talking about wordplay. Many people hate Lil Ugly Mane, so YMMV.

You might find this interesting too.
pudding.cool/2017/02/vocabulary/
It's really only prolific old(ish) school rappers, but it's still interesting.
Note the location of Shakespeare and Moby Dick.

I wish I could be as sheltered as you

Motion sickness whilst still televised, the anger builds the thickness mile of tension molar abrasives into five days
Bookmark my stark naked feelings and look hard at yourselves to walk
The message, no space, I need a bit more leeway
I donate my mind to science everytime that I order takeout
Spring emotional leaks and streak through harsh worlds to get your attention
That scattered seed spread so sparse, that farce will never be mentioned
Dart through catacombs near plastic homes, I'm torn apart
Average, my unease, as I replace my you's with me's and I get knocked down to my knees and wonder what's the purpose
My feet dangle as my feelings get tangled, I need to express but worry just how much they will accept
It's obvious that my rights are left exposed and open to their onslaught
Not my destiny, it's your destination for one to be oneself, takes constant visitation
I seem to stub my toes like I major in hesitation
To be quite honest I'd break my promise and make you walk barefoot on the shards of it
Why do I push me towards the pulpit and make me adjust my straight line to dodge where the sitting bull shits
Necessity to tidy up the area, strip my hedges ever so slight and sprinke life throughout the area
Never to be viewed unless you swing like moods throughout the area

fuck man i hate when rappers rap over rap beats

Hopsin is what would happen if reddit made a black rapper

Okay, thank you. I'll revisit those.
That's cute. Nothing wrong with it, but definitely qt. This is patronising I know, but it's all I have time to say right now.

DID

I loved the first song but only for that switch into the gospel sound. Can't really say much for the rest of the album.

THE

why is his shit so expensive

child support

MAN

WHO

INVENTED

someone link the carti tape

im a huge roc marci stan but the shit mastering on this thing prevents it from even being in the discussion

True but then again his stuff was never that well mastered. With some hip hop you kinda have to take and bare that element.

holy shit this is great

thanks

i know but i really dug the dusty sound of his previous stuff. this one is just bad imo. i cant even hear him over some beats

and u know marci is all about COLD ASS BARS BRUH BRUH

Bump

dbr.e
e/E6DI

kinda the same thing that happens with Blu on all his projects. dude can rap his ass off but refuses to spend time mastering properly. Good to be home would be incredible if I could hear wtf he's saying

that's some caravan palace shit senpai honestly a little cringey for me personally