Anyone on here ever take any prescription ssri meds? Do they really work?

Anyone on here ever take any prescription ssri meds? Do they really work?

Other urls found in this thread:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26899817
twitter.com/AnonBabble

the make the highs lower and the lows higher.
Also good luck trying to reach orgasm when you get on the dose they want you on.
If your depression is extreme, they might be worth it, if it is just the average Sup Forums tard level of depression then you are gonna stop taking them after a while.

I don't take them anymore.

In my case, all they accomplished was exhaustion, side-effects and withdrawal symptoms while lowering the dosage toward the end.
They can potentially work for some people, but the risks are there, so you should consult your doctor on alternatives, and if you choose to use such medication, be ready for the possibility of it not working out.

Saved my life. Was on lexipro for 3 years and I'd be dead if I wasn't. On the other hand, the user was right about reaching orgasm.

I hesitate to use the phrase "they make you numb".

alcohol makes you numb in a good way, a way someone would seek out that feeling.

When I first tried taking them I was thinking "feeling numb would be better then what i feel like now".

But emotionally numb is not a fun feeling.

They make you feel like nothing. Like you are just on auto pilot.
No sad feelings, but also no happy feelings, just nothing.

They didn't make me feel happy, they just made me feel less sad, by making me feel like nothing at all.

A worthless drug in my opinion.

But what the hell do I know, ever fucker and there mother seems to go on them at some point, try it OP.

Maybe you will come out of it appreciating life without any drugs like I did. Worst case scenario you go through withdrawals so bad you kill yourself.

Spin the wheel, win a prize.

I've been on paxil since 2003. Makes my depression much better. Kind of like a pep talk. But if I miss even a single dose, I crash into depressed mode HARD. Also it takes me 40 minutes to jack off.

bump for more replies

Didn't do shit for me.
At most they just left me catatonic.

Thats a relative question.

In my opinion, and I have taken them before, they are a bandage, not a cure.

Depression, I think, is almost a default state of being. It is your mode of existence when you lack a goal.
So they work, yes, in case of bereavement and such. But in case of a more general malaise, meaninglessness, or loneliness, it is far better ask "what do you want to be?" and further, "what might you become if you don't work towards that goal?"

(OP)

I've tried errythang i swear (fluox, lithium, citalopram, dotheipine, i forget all the names), and nothing made a difference (but no side effects either) EXCEPT escitalopram, thank fucking god for it, but it was a month of hell getting onto it.

I was on Prozac for a few months. It didn't really do much for me, other than limit my depressive outbursts to being really drunk.
I'm actually doing a lot better now without them. The main thing that helped is I started analyzing my emotions and recognizing them.

> Anyone on here ever take any prescription ssri meds?
Yes, over three periods of my life. For anxiety and depression. Stopped for good now.
> Do they really work?
I really don't know if I would recommend them. Taking them is never a solution, a stopgap at best.
I do know there are alternatives though: Just take charge of your life, meditation, working out, etc.

Been on them for years, they take the edge off, recently came to believe that my depression isn't actually pathological - it's trying to tell me that what i've done with my life makes me fundamentally unhappy.

meditation is the best, can't recommend it enough, i use headspace.

I've found they help with depression caused by opioid withdrawal, and that most of the side effects can be countered by taking a bit of mirtazapine on the side.
I've found them to be less effective in treating "natural" depression, which only got better when the things causing the depression and stress were removed.

I was on amitriptyline for a couple years and escitalopram for several.
They did seem to take the edge off the depression a little bit and mellowed out my anger somewhat, but they absolutely killed my dick. I couldn't get hard to save my life. Ultimately, I decided I'd rather be hot under the collar than cold below the belt. I'm coping with things (shittily) au naturale. Docs always try to push SSRIs for some reason but I'd ask for something that works on a different mechanism if I were you.

I Take 8 Tramadol 8 Gabapentin and 10 Klonopin 1 milligram

Ruined my life even further, been on more than 15. Weed is the only thing that helps.

none of those are SSRIs

I have taken Prozac. Yes, it works, can elevate your mood and reduce anxiety. There are side effects, but they don't appear in everyone. For me: fucks w appetite and makes it very hard to come. If you are in a crisis, talk to a doc and try them. Take about 2 weeks to be fully effective.

Prozac has a very long half-life. If you have problems remembering to take medication, you can miss a day and it won't stop working.

they didn't work for me.

Did wonders for me.

>bandage, not a cure

I think of them as a "tool." Medication, meditation, and therapy are your holy trinity, user. Do all three, get out of your put quicker. Use one tool exclusively and for too long, it becomes less effective. If you don't develop skills to deal with your problems while on SSRIs, they do not "work." That is why some people take them perpetually and say they are ineffective. They are not "happiness pills." They have the same effect as a glass of wine: if you are nervous, they can help you relax, focus, and tackle your problems.

kills your sex drive

Don't come off them suddenly the withdrawal is something else.

Cognitive behavioral therapy works. Highly recommended.

They made me more suicidal and unhappy but bouyed me with insane highs. They're bad news. Don't take them. It takes years for your brain to get back to normal.s

I have GAD and major depression. Tried Cymbalta, Lexapro, Paxil and Zoloft. None did shit for me except ramp up my anxiety (I could feel my jaw clenching unconsciously while on them) and as others pointed out, made it harder to come.

These drugs are fucking useless. The only thing that ever made me feel better were opiods, but who wants to be an addict?

prozac helped with ocd but that's it

idk mang, I tried 3 different 'brands'(the 2nd being Prozac) and I never gained any stability. At most, when I got really low I would see the world/the current thing I was sad about objectively pointless and therefore not worth being sad about. I found the experience extremely dehumanizing but that combined with tripping too much for 2 years taught me iron-clad self control. I'd recommend just taking LSD a few times and forcing yourself to come to grips with your thoughts.

Docs push meds because they get paid to do so.

I wish that theory held water when I try to get them to push opioids my way.

Then it's nothing but blah blah blah let me listen to you breath real quick blah blah blah just take it easy for a few days, and call me in a week blah blah blah annnnnnnd were done here.

I've tried them as a teenager, they didn't help my depression a whole lot, I got a weird feeling most of the time, I decided SSRI's wasn't what was gonna make me feel better.

I'll let doctors give me antibiotic, benzos, painkillers if I need them, and amphetamines.

Fuck anything that doesn't just boost my dopamine immediately.

no we dont. we just want to to move on out the door so we can get to the next one

medfag here

it depends on what is being treated
in very simplistic terms, there are two types of depression: melancholic and non-melancholic

non-melancholic is more psychological and tends to be more to do with life events - eg relationship break ups, family trouble, work, money etc

melancholic depression is more physical - it tends to be more characterised by the physical symptoms like marked weight loss (sometimes gain), sleep disturbance (insomnia or hypersomnia) etc

although they both have the symptoms of low mood, loss of interest and pleasure in things, they respond differently to different treatments

non-melancholic depression responds well to talking therapies - like going to see a counsellor or psychologist. antidepressants don't tend to work very well (a lot of people who complain about them not working have fallen into this category and been prescribed meds when they may not have been appropriate. this has also confounded a lot of studies on antidepressants. studies that account for this demonstrate that they're far more effective in treating depression than many people - and even other doctors - think)

melancholic depression requires talking therapy too. often there are other situational issues or coping mechanisms that need to be worked through. however medications tend to work very well for these patients

ssris are the first line treatment for depression. they do take a while to kick in (4-6 weeks!) and before they start working they can actually worsen symptoms. the good news is that if they do that, it means they're probably going to work once the level in your body is right!

antidepressants aren't a life-long treatment. the typical course is 6-12 months (this is why talking therapies/other interventions are so important - sometimes you just need that little extra support to be able to get yourself well again)

hope this helps. feel free to ask anything else :)

Hey since your pretending to be a doctor could you also pretend to explain to me what the fuck a guy has got to do in order to get you to prescribe me a recurring prescription of ativian, klonopin or xanax. All I can ever get is like a months worth of pills once a year.

Need that shit on the reg mane, I have been diagnosed with GA had doctors acknowledge that I have recurring panic attacks but trying to get them to give me the drugs that work is like pulling hair over there.

Is this just the state of things now?

>I'd rather be hot under the collar than cold below the belt
kek

omg where do i sign up? why have all my colleagues kept this gem from me all these years? $$$

That said anytime a doctor has grown either scared or worried about my habits, and wants me to try not doing drugs for a few years, my quality of life drops considerably, I've never had bad withdraws off any medication, I quit liquor because over-consumption was gonna end me.

Googling and loooking at random sources, it says:
SSRI's are effective 30% of the time
Adderall 90% of the time
And plecebo, 15% of the time

for whatever they're prescribed for.

I'm a red flag, but giving me drugs that have sideeffects that are higher than their intended use seems to be is retarded.

You cannot use alcohol or weed if you want to get the positive effect from ssri. Yes, they work. You may have to struggle a little to find the right drug or drug combination (lyrica+zoloft is a known combo), give it time, and most of all give yourself a chance. If it doesnt work for you at least you tried.

me

if you're interested, here is a link to a study on differentiated treatment for non-melancholic and melancholic depression
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26899817

key take home point was
>The melancholic group had significantly higher clinical response rate (61.5%) than the non-melancholic group (36.7%) (p=0.017) at the end of the study.

i've seen an even bigger gap in a systematic review of the literature but tbh i cbf

i am on serlift 50mg/day and it helps a lot :)

Oh yeah. I've been on sertraline on and off.
If you take enough of it, for long enough, and then stop abruptly, you're gonna have withdrawl it it's a living hell.
I always end up with a tolerance and it stops helping, so I stop taking it, withdraw, and go about my shit like nothing happened.

This guy. I like this one.

all of my internets to you sir.

They work, but it is slow and subtle. Do't expect a noticible feeling. After a while you don't feel like killing yourself. They kill the ability to cum right away. Can get hard but not cum. Weird feeeling. People who say they numb you out, I don't agree.

iron giant

Im on 40mg Citalopram. Doesnt work at all. Still feeling depressed as fuck. Also killed my libido. I prefer drinking myself near death.