NEET with PhD in stem cell biology reporting in. Ask me anything

NEET with PhD in stem cell biology reporting in. Ask me anything.

Other urls found in this thread:

nottingham.ac.uk/news/pressreleases/2012/february/immortal-worms-defy-ageing.aspx
nasa.gov/feature/how-stressful-will-a-trip-to-mars-be-on-the-human-body-we-now-have-a-peek-into-what-the-nasa/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

are you NEET because you can't find a job or do you just not want to work

I can't find a job.

Bump

Was university worth it?

Do you think there is a cure for cancer and they are hiding it from us? what about other diseases (Diabetes, Asthma etc.)

If you died and got cloned, would it be 'you'? or just a copy of 'you'? is there any way to live forever?

>PhD in stem cells
>can't find a job

You are lying, how do you not find a post-doc position?

>Was university worth it?

Certainly was enjoyable (and free because Europe).

>Do you think there is a cure for cancer and they are hiding it from us?

Cancer is not a single disease but rather a class of diseases with certain shared mechanisms (see the famous Weinberg and Hanahan review). So no there will not be _a_ cure.

>If you died and got cloned, would it be 'you'? or just a copy of 'you'?

Thats a philosophical question. I recommend Bernard Williams and Derek Parfit on this issue.

I had a very unsuccessful postdoc position for two years that was terminated due to lack of funding. And since my chance of becoming a PI approaches 0, I thought I try to make my move to industry. Looking for a job for half a year now.

Not op but a biochemist
>Was university worth it?
for me yes, I couldn't get my job with out my degrees

>Do you think there is a cure for cancer and they are hiding it from us? what about other diseases (Diabetes, Asthma etc.)
Cure for cancer, no. Cancer is not a disease that can be cured and not all cancers form or are treated the same way. We will get better treatments and have better success rates but will never stamp out cancer.

>If you died and got cloned, would it be 'you'? or just a copy of 'you'? is there any way to live forever?
a copy, DNA does not contain memories/experiences that shaped who you are

>I had a very unsuccessful postdoc position for two years that was terminated due to lack of funding. And since my chance of becoming a PI approaches 0, I thought I try to make my move to industry. Looking for a job for half a year now.
That suck man, find another post-doc position. That work is so easy, as long as your PI is cool

I'm considering it (also considering going back to school for an MBA). But it only extends the problem.

Why an MBA, get a new post-doc position, network while there and find a PI position or a company worth working for.

It is completely absurd to take the gamble for a PI position given my publication record. I simply don't belong to the 5% who might get lucky. So eventually I will have to go into industry and an MBA could be very helpful. The only reason for a postdoc position is the pay.

Post doc-ing again would help you get those publications tho. Plus any real job won't be as relaxed about hours worked and the research is more free form

To add don't be afraid to apply for weird post doc positions. Currently I'm a research tech (only have a MS in chem) in a bio dept doing biochem. I focused in biochem but never thought I'd be working in a bio dept

>Post doc-ing again would help you get those publications tho.

That doesn't help because when it coms to university positions and - more important - grants, time is always taken into consideration.

>So no there will not be _a_ cure.
>We will get better treatments and have better success rates but will never stamp out cancer.

do you think that 100% treatment rates are achievable, assuming environmental factors such as poverty were taken care of as well.

Theoretically if there were set of treatments that collective were 100% effective, would it be available to the public within any reasonable timeframe?

As for the immortality thing, I read that there were some kind of worms living in the ground that were biologically immortal which, aside from disease or complete annihilation, could live forever. I also read that this is the result of stem cells.

Is there any way to take advantage of this?

Have some tits for your time

>NEET
>with PhD

I'm not saying be lazy while doing it again. I'm just trying to say a real job will be even more anal about time worked and have more BS to do before doing any research or experiments. While a post-doc position you can be like yea I'll try this today or shit that failed, whelp I'm done for the day

A neet with a PhD shows just how much of a waste of time college truly is.

An industry job will be more stable and provide a better salary. You can't go from postdoc to postdoc forever (in Europe, there is oftentimes a limited of years during which you can work in a postdoc position).

Always depends what you are doing. STEM != STEM.

>do you think that 100% treatment rates are achievable, assuming environmental factors such as poverty were taken care of as well.
Maybe but we still have a lot to learn before that will happen

>Is there any way to take advantage of this?
I'm not familiar with this worm but some jellyfish can return to there pupil state and are immortal but in general as DNA is relipicated it also get partially degraded. Telomeres protect coding DNA for awhile but eventually degrade and then your coding DNA starts to get effected. Interestingly NASA recently did a study with twins, one in space and one on earth and apparently the one is space regrew his telomeres for some reason. Not sure if this will amount to anything but was surprising to the researchers

Def will make more in the industry

nottingham.ac.uk/news/pressreleases/2012/february/immortal-worms-defy-ageing.aspx

This is an old source, and not the one I originally heard it from, but I'm pretty sure it's the same thing.

Do you have link for the twin thing? I'm curious.

I don't have cancer or anything, but it never hurts to be prepared eh?

I've always thought western medicine did more harm than good with NOT ALL illnesses, but certain ones, cancer being foremost among them.

More fabulous tits for you sir.

How old are you?

>I've always thought western medicine did more harm than good with NOT ALL illnesses, but certain ones, cancer being foremost among them.

we are getting much better at treating cancerbut yea for awhile I felt the treatment was worse than the cancer (prob should state here I don't have cancer, my comment could be misleading) watch Kevin burns cancer or his history of cancer. It was really interesting

I'm trying to find the twins thing, I saw it on facial book through NASAs page

what came first to this world protein or rna or dna?

Probably ribozyme hyper cycles. See M. Eigen's work.

Here something about it but not what I originally saw

nasa.gov/feature/how-stressful-will-a-trip-to-mars-be-on-the-human-body-we-now-have-a-peek-into-what-the-nasa/

Which cells does the cancer usually develop from? Is it from stem cells of the tissue or from the differentiated cells. If it is from differentiated cells how is that possible since these cells usually die out and replanish every 2-3 weeks (i.e. colorectacl cancer from epithelial lining)?

Thanks for the read.

A lot of those results seem to be... inconsequential? apart from the one you mentioned involving the Telomeres. I haven't read in depth yet though, I just got the gist of each paragraph.

I know there's no plan or design, but more and more I think we 'belong' in space rather than on our own planet. Space is like a universal environment, and in a way the most controlled environment there is, perfect for our species.

What on earth is a PI?

How was babby formed?