/prod/ - Music Production General

>Production Resources:
>Pastebin - Links, books, videos, articles, tutorials and stuff
pastebin.com/pYGCLu6q

>/prod/ wiki - still looking for contributors
mu-sic-production.wikia.com
There's a severe lack of DAW descriptions in the wiki. If you're good with your tool of choice, consider writing a paragraph about it.

/prod/ IRC is up!
To join, you can go to rizon.net/chat
Choose a nick, put #/prod/ as channel. Enter!
Or you can get a lightweight desktop client here hexchat.github.io/downloads.html

Remember to use clyp.it to post your tracks/WIP: posting a clyp.it is just providing sound for a question, posting a Soundcloud link is making self-advertisement and the thread doesn't need that.

Remember to check other peoples' clyp.it links to keep the thread healthy.

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/pclv5xpp
clyp.it/kvnt04zy
youtube.com/watch?v=82uz-C86gj0
clyp.it/bzlekq5h
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Who /DAMN./ here?

Anyone here make music like Burial? What's to it, aside from the pitched down vocals?

wow this shit so dead today finna spicy up a litlle

clyp.it/pclv5xpp

shit on my track, help me make it better, troll me the fuck out w/e but do something on this thread

Recording all your drums with pens and pencils

if i link my soundcloud and ask you dicks to help me not suck would it be shilling

Will I get beat up for rapping like this as a 5'6" scandinavian white kid?

clyp.it/kvnt04zy

use a lighter for high hats
use rim shots
super lowpassed kicks
vinyl crackle
rain sample
make a reese bass and distort the fuck out of it, then low pass it
sample metal gear solid
also get izotope vinyl and put it on the drum bus
congrats you just made untrue

Your music has only ~2 'fans' online. Who would you email first?
>local indie labels
>niche music blogs

Hi-hat is piercing my ears.
The melody is kind of boring and sits at the back of the mix.

Try to get some buzz in the local scene first.

>2017
>there being a local scene

Look outside, family

i actually had an idea about sampling the swell at the end of "snake eater" but not with shitty low effort effects

is there a decent iRc or discord for prod so I don't have to sit in these threads?

if not can we put something together?

Honestly if you're trying to make tunes like burial just go deep into youtube and find some obscure electronic music from the 70s and 80s. I sample a lot of the pads and low pass it with some resonance to give it that dark, atmospheric vibe.

It's really easy to do and once you start doing that you realize you can sample pretty much anything

>clyp.it/kvnt04zy

there is always some people that will say "muh cultural appropiation" so just dgaf about that, post malone is doing well even after that interview

Thx, appreciate the feedack, its not the final version, i also noticed this issues hope to make it better

No prob, the last 40ish seconds of your track is cool though, maybe you should build off that? Maybe add some filter sweeps and stuff, give it some texture.

I'd also tone down the drums just a little bit. I feel like there is too much going on.

But that's just my feedback, do what you feel is right.

Different user but holy shit dude this is actually pretty sound advice. I've always had trouble with sampling which is I honestly couldn't get into that lofi hiphop thing and similar stuff.

Though I still kind of need to get over sampling mentally, as in, I've never really done it 'cause I was a huge stickler for making each sound as original as possible in my productions. Anyone else here had a similar experience with sampling?

Thanks, yeah, its kinda like a bad habbit i got when making tracks, i try to start with something simple a then add more and more for a good final build up... but sometimes i don't know when to stop hahaha i think its a common problem with begginer producers tho

I was super against sampling when I started getting into producing, and now it's kind of all I do. There's something about old recordings that give it a raw, organic sound. I could never quite capture that sound if I made the sound myself in Massive, no matter how much I muddied it up with old tape plugins.

My advice is to just do it as much as possible. You'll start to develop and ear for a loop you can use. I know the process of sampling can be a little different depending on the DAW you use, but I really like Logic because it identifies transients and you can slice the audio at those transients which makes it a lot faster to develop a nice loop rather than using your ear

sounds good user. did you sample this?

Thats not to say you shouldn't use your ear, I just mean it really can speed up the process rather than a doing it trial and error

youtube.com/watch?v=82uz-C86gj0

anyone know how he makes that lead?

is it a saw with a triangle on top? (maybe pitched up 7 semitones or what have you)
and some obvious detuning, but is it fine pitch, coarse pitch, or both?
or just chorus detune?

this sound (common in flylo tracks also) has always alluded me
can never seem to make a lead that sounds anywhere near it no matter how much I try to figure it out

Like the other dude said, don't fear sampling, if it sounds good in the track then its okay (same goes with presets although those are more tricky)

Dude I had the same problem for years. It's FM synthesis. I'm not sure if it's the correct way but I've achieved that sounds with two detuned saw waves, a triangle wave as the bass and some FM routed to the saw waves.

clyp.it/bzlekq5h

tell me this isn't the nicest thing you've ever heard

Thanks, user
The loop that the song starts off with and the voices are sampled
So are the delayed stabs at 0:21 and 1:08.

this isnt the nicest thing i've ever heard

in all seriousness tho, this just sounds random