Doctor Who General - /who/

Non-canon companions are best companions Edition

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Hn-enjcgV1o
cybermantra.wordpress.com/cyber-comic-strips/the-world-shapers/
channelawesome.com/the-minister-of-chance-at4w/
youtube.com/watch?v=ziRAhQ4OHHo
theguardian.com/stage/live/2016/jul/08/matt-smith-webchat-unreachable-royal-court#comment-79361252
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

What do you all like about Charley so much?

Last thread

From what I know of her, it's because of her adventurous personality, plus how her ar with the Doctor is something of an accidental criticism of the "companion falls in love with the Doctor"--in some ways, the Doctor (especially Eight) can't love like a human can, and that causes problems for Charley when she falls for him.

Extremely canon materials right here.

This is just a lovely picture.

What are you doing right now, besides being on /who/? I'm studying programming.

I'm not going to lie I can't stand Charley. I find her very annoying and to a certain extent I really can't explain it.

Who do you like? In both TV and EU Who?

Jamie Ace Frobisher are my holy trinity

Clara is probly my favorite nuwho companion but I'm not a fan of how she tended to hijack the show. But I can get over it

Oh and lucie Miller of course. Knew I was forgetting one

Those are all excellent choices.

Clara is a great companion. I'm gonna miss her.

How's about you?

Clara's ghreat. Her relationship with 12 is one of my fave Doc/companion relationships. You could write a whole book deconstructing their relationship.

Hmm. For TV, I like Clara, Tegan, Mel (mainly for the book's development of her relationship with 6). I like Roz, Fitz, Grant Markham, Jenny Shirt (from Seasons of War), and I especially like Alice Obiefune, who actually manages to have a unique relationship with 11 that's not "spunkyyoung girl."

And, of course, Benny.

Cloister, where are you?

The thing I like about 12 and Clara is that the relationship has a lot of subtleties. You want a friendship your good to go. You want a romantic relationship (which I'm not really a fan of) there is enough there to support it without the show smacking you over the head with it

For fark's sake, give it a rest already, you'll know when he's here because he'll be posting

I'm a little honored someone set that pic up.

Yep. I agree that there a romantic vibes if you want to see it, but you can also say that they are just friends.

It's funny. Clara is both the one of the few companions who betrayed the Doctor, and also one who would probably die for him, no questions asked.

Shut the fark up Immigrant.

I missed that meme.

Anyway, what plots would people like to see in future NuWho audios? (Or classic Who audios, for that matter.)

I'd like someone to rewrite the Five Doctors

You just want Liz Shaw added in that, don't you? (There's no shame in that.)

The 12 doctors

Maybe Fighting another elder god

Paradox fixing

CATS, COME BACK

I MISS YOU

All Twelve Doctors? First off, how would you make sure every Doctor got time to shine? And which companion would you use?

Secondly, how could you forget the War Doctor?

I would suggest an anthology of stories.

That's all for Briggs to figure out

youtube.com/watch?v=Hn-enjcgV1o

So, every boxset will have Daleks.

I'm thinking maybe /who/ could write a 12 Doctors, 12 stories type of anthology.

What do you think?

I thought I was the only one here who disliked her. I'm not sure exactly why either, maybe it's her voice, which I find pretty grating. The constant shouting at everyone gets old too.

The voice defiantly. It always seems to me like she's using a condescending tone of voice for everything despite the fact that she really isn't a hugely proactive character. I don't know maybe that doesn't make sense

I like Charley, but that makes sense. She is from the upper-class, maybe the accent and attitude trips you up.

Matt's bizarre taste in clothes continues

Continuing the 6/Jamie trilogy. So they've made it onto the Titanic by accident...

Anyone got the "The World Shapers" comic? Where 6 originally meets Jamie as an old man and dies?

It's on vk, I think.

Don't forget the last cybermen

>It always seems to me like she's using a condescending tone of voice for everything despite the fact that she really isn't a hugely proactive character.
This is pretty accurate imo.
Could be. Although my introduction to her was Chimes of Midnight and I thought that story dealt with her upper class attitude very well, I actually thought I was going to like her a lot based on my impression of her from it. Unfortunately the more I heard the less I liked her.

I'm trying to finish up Twin Peaks but the last few episodes have been a real chore

I think the only time I have ever actually yelled "shut the fuck up" at any media was Charley and the woman who played grace from the TV movies long pointless yelling contests during the final phase. Fuck that audio

is this it?

I'll check if I have that one

The last 2 eps are great, the second season really drags on after Lynch and Frost left

Maybe. Try looking for it online as well.

It should be. It was the last 6 story from dwm. Written by grant fucking Morrison!

Maybe Charley is better in her solo series.

>199. Last of the Cybermen - Doctor Who - Main Range

I don't have that one

Have fun finding out I have zero interest

Or check this link: cybermantra.wordpress.com/cyber-comic-strips/the-world-shapers/

Good night, /who/.

Good night

/who/ is deader than William Hartnell.

>yelling "shut the fuck up" at an audio

You should ask for your money back

>The last 2 eps are great, the second season really drags on after Lynch and Frost left
Good to know, thought season 2 started so well then started to drag, but the show's high points have made it worth the time

The only episode of Twin Peaks I've seen was the last episode, it was some weird shit. All I remember is a weird midget guy and speech that sounded like it was spoken backwards and played backwards so it sounded forwards and I think the guy was possessed at the end or something?

Just rewatched Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS. I knew it wasn't a great episode but I don't remember it being so boring. Also they literally never explain how the reset button works. Can't believe I didn't notice that the first time. Early in the episode the Doctor describes it as a device that can disable ships, but then at the end pressing it somehow solves everything.

Finishing bang bang a boom tonight. This is fucking boring as shit. And quite annoying as well.

I FINALLY MEET THE RIGHT GUY AND HE'S FROM ANOTHER PLANET!

it's the magnagrab control switch iirc, he presses it and it turns off the magnagrab that they grabbed his ship with.

my big problem with charley is the same problem I have with like 30-40% of DW spinoff media, which is that I think mindwipes are really stupid ways of solving storytelling problems, and DWEU writers sure love to use em

This audio me to fucking sleep

Clearly, you're so tired part of your sentence.

This audio is an hour too long.

Wow. Mel a shit

Congrats to big finish for making an audio that legit feels like it belongs in season 24 with how fucking boring it is.

Dream Baby Dream

Season 24 is GOAT you pleb.

>the spoons
At least that was good.

Isn't 24 the one with Mel and 7? Cause if so its shit m8

Ok....time for Nekromanteia. Hopefully it's not as bad as I've heard.

>6d
What unit of currency is a 'd'?
And since when was the doctor a pilgrim?

dinar.

the hat was prevelant in 2nd doc comics

I still can't fucking believe ollie is in his 40s when he looks 20-something

Finished The Thick of it recently, is it just coincidence that 2 actors from it turned up in who during Capaldi's run or is it just mandatory for every English thespian to do dr who at least once in their lives?

>6d

= sixpence. It's British currency pre-1971 decimalization.

There were 12 pence (12d) in a shilling (s) and 20 shillings, or 240 pence, in a pound (£).

Pretty sure if you're a British actor you have to appear in doctor who. Like mandatory military service. The guy that played Nicholson is also the master in big finish.

Source: American that studies British culture

As an American, my understanding is that there are only, perhaps, 45 British actors. Of course some overlap will occour.

"In the Loop" is "Dr. Strangelove" tier.

>tfw ayoade hasn't been in doctor who yet

Did the cat really just save the day...

Oh. You're right.

When the doctor goes back in time, changes the past, goes back to the present and it's different, what happened to the original present?

What happened to all of the experiences and memories that no longer happened because the past was changed? Are all of those people effectively dead with someone new taking their place? Does the doctor murder people every time he intervenes and travel through time?

Depends.

In A Christmas Carol the guy basically winds up with two sets of memories.

channelawesome.com/the-minister-of-chance-at4w/
Linkara (an autistic reviewer well discussed on Sup Forums, so you might have heard of him) just released a video about The Minister of Chance. It's like two Sup Forums autistic things in one, I like it.

The hell is the minister of chance

The hell is an autistic?

what?

Time Lord from Death Comes to Time

I remember Crimson Horror possibly being my least favourite of 7B, and I never understood why people here praised it. But I watched it for a 2nd time today and it's definitely one of the better episodes of S7. There's still plenty of clunky/annoying writing but overall it's decent.

youtube.com/watch?v=ziRAhQ4OHHo

Reminder that Lucie Miller and Craig Owens dated.

You know what really pisses me off in Doctor Who? When writers set up some kind of foreshadowing and in the end they are like "Oh, this doesn't matter. Not even wrong context, it's just being said because speaker repeats what he heard himself saying"

Yeah it's pretty lazy when a bootstrap paradox is used as a self-justifying excuse for arbitrary plot elements.

IMO if you're going to write a plot that exists for no reason other than that it paradoxically caused itself, a) it had better be the best fucking plot ever and b) the causal loop structure had damn well better contribute to the theme and characters. (Before the Flood fails at both of these. In contrast, 11's whole run being a retroactive consequence of Trenzalore is fitting because Trenzalore represents his growth into adulthood, which is an ultimately inescapable prospect.)

Under The Lake/Before The Flood and Time Heist both felt like unnecessary uses of the bootstrap paradox.

My headcanon is that there was an original timeline where UTL had a perfectly logical, non-paradoxy solution, but the doctor fucked everything up by trying too hard to be a smarty pants to impress Clara

Time Heist didn't rely on it so much.

Under the Lake actually made a cliffhanger out of it which is bad to do.

Which Doctor would you least like to travel with?

theguardian.com/stage/live/2016/jul/08/matt-smith-webchat-unreachable-royal-court#comment-79361252

He made a huge mistake.

It gave us Capaldi though so its all good.
He'll be back at Big Finish for the Trenzalore boxset anyways.

What's your headcanon non-paradoxy solution? Would be Interesting to read.....

6 is the obvious answer.

Nine. Because he'd keep stealing my crisps.

One. He's the most inexperienced and the least friendly.