If you were swimming in the ocean and a shark bit through a transatlantic power cable 15,000 feet below you...

if you were swimming in the ocean and a shark bit through a transatlantic power cable 15,000 feet below you, would you get electricuted?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=BsyLFBSkKmY
youtube.com/watch?v=yCLgb51VFzA
youtube.com/watch?v=FCOqZfDElIQ
what-if.xkcd.com/15/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

No

There is not a spark of chance for anybody to bite a cable in pieces or damage this.

Doesnt answer the question

what if instead of a cable at 15,000 feet, it was a hiroshima sized nuke detonated under you at 30,000 feet

what about bigger jaws?
youtube.com/watch?v=BsyLFBSkKmY

Probably not since it would be grounding out mostly on the dumb ass shark that bit into it.

Opposite effect, water shields from explosions and radiation, comparably water conducts electricity. The tidal wave/shockwave it would generate however not sure.

no, the power would dicipiate into the ocean

depends if you are in the water or not

yes, but explosion will generate very hot steam, and you are just above it.

yea, you are swimming in the ocean

surely it would dissipate by the time it got through 6 miles of ocean

what if you let out a hiroshima sized fart while biting through a transatlantic powercable

enjoy your dissipation
youtube.com/watch?v=yCLgb51VFzA

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

>youtube.com/watch?v=yCLgb51VFzA
Pretty sure that was only 600 feet (200m) below the surface and the ship was about 2.5miles away.

ah well, your lungs will collapse.

that was not 6 miles below the surface

there are no transatlantic power cables.

>transatlantic power cable
Why would there be a power cable going through the atlantic?

but you get the idea.

If you think you are gonna have a relaxing bath of bubbles you are gonna have a bad time. And i said nothing about radiation yet.

>Transatlantic power cable

what?

so you can charge your iphone when you are in a boat dumbfuck.

To give Europe power. Duh.

transatllantic would indicate it going fully across the Atlantic, not from an offshore windfarm back to the mainland

Drink bleach you cock-guzzling pedo

thats not transatlantic though is it?

trans = across

>And i said nothing about radiation yet.
cause you dont know shit about that,
water works as an effective radiation shield, especially that deep
youtube.com/watch?v=FCOqZfDElIQ

how did you know i was a pedo?

>all men are pedos
then by that logic, YOU are a pedophile

I'm not a man

are you a little girl?

when a shark farts under water, could you taste it?

>assuming gender
triggered me

No, there is not nearly enough potential or current in this imaginary cable to electrocute you.

You would die from compression forces. Same concept, if there were 2 grenades, one in a pool next to you and one right besides the pool next to you, you would be more likely to survive in open air, because the compression forces from the water would definitely kill you from organ damage whereas shrapnel has a chance of missing your important bits.

That's not a power cable. It's an submarine transatlantic fiber-optic internet cable.

how do they plug in?

im pretty sure the energy would have dissipated by the time it had made its way through 30,000 feet of water

Most trans ocean cables these days are fiber optic. Thus is it transmitting light and not electricity. There would be no shock. The cable would just be cut. If it was a legacy copper ocean cable, it would be such lower power, it would instantly dissipate into the shark and nearby water.

It is a good question!

Then you don't know how compression works and how powerful of a bomb that is.

In the Navy, that is called "blowing a hole in the ocean."

So then why does a tectonic plate moving five miles below the ocean surface displace enough water to cause a tidal wave on the surface. That is just a gentle movement of a few meters as well causing that tidal wave five miles above.

because the energy in an earthquake is literally billions of time more powerful than a hiroshima a bomb

You presume to think that the energy in a pressure displacing bomb is not enough to seriously fuck up everything nearby that relies on air to breathe.

Don't be retarded.

The issue is the pressure of the water slamming down on even a meter of displacement cause huge disruptions and energy releases that goes to the surface and shores.

Pretty much, the ocean floor drops a bit, seawater rushes in to fill the gap. The wave action creates a lot of pressure right above the ocean floor displacement, that reflects back to the shore creating a big fucking wave heading inland.

well, there has never been a bomb detonated at that depth so we both will never really know if we are right. i could be right and you might be right. lets leave it at that.

although i will just leave you with this, the marianis trench is deeper than everist is tall

Depends whether or not you remembered to leave your phone in the mailbox.

I'd do the calculations for shock factor if I had a good metric for what shock factor could kill a human being, but there is no data on that currently.

Yesss!! Critical thinking! Even though you don't know the answer, you know how to check for reasonableness. Nice!
And you're spot on, too.

I fucking know how it works dipshit. I was telling the moron who said a blast form an atomic bomb would be dispersed by the 5 miles of water. That something with much less movement can cause far more displacement. Learn to read you dimwits.

no need to be rude

If anything explosions are more devastating underwater.

Have a beer dude.

yes you are. you are either a man. or a WO man. still a man baby!

Have none of you cock gobblers seen Jaws 2? Holy fuck, I hate millenials more and more everyday.

wasn;t aware these was seQuel

what-if.xkcd.com/15/
Your answer. Nothing happens on the surface except that eventually the water will get warmer.

What is you dropped a Hiroshima bomb on water from 30,000ft. Water is as hard as concrete at that height so would the bomb just squash into peices?

this

The average depth of the ocean is only 12000ft and the absolute deepest point is about 30,000ft. You could never get a working atomic bomb to the bottom of the Marianas Trench.

>15,000ft
> 6 miles
> 5,280ft/mile
> mfw

Thats not the point, he said what "if" its there.

You dumb motherfucker a

>it's way
>it is way
You dumb motherfucker

Nigger a shark isn't biting through that

>hiroshima sized bomb
>powerfull

Yeah, yeah that's a real funneh joke, see
That's like what 20 kiloton, be more then 3 miles of and even on land you'll be fine you dillweed, little boy wasn't that powerfull if you look at it, and 30.000 feet of water is alot of liquid to shift about in every single direction.
Not happening

>hiroshima bomb
>as much energy as an earthquake

You just get out and leave your ruler and pencilcase on the desk

And also, you'll actually be completely fine if you're right above the epicenter, you'll feel a slight wobble, nothing more

Could you all just at least try to phisiXx

Yeah, try to semantics your way out of this, that worked well for the japanese

>Challengeaccepted.jpg

>cable at 15,000
> bomb at 30,000
> 30,000 / 5,280 ~ 6