Why the fuck LEICESTER is pronounced as LESTER?

Why the fuck LEICESTER is pronounced as LESTER?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=WXf7GROXP6M
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Llangynwyd
youtube.com/watch?v=c3y0CD2CoCs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Because bongs are drunks and slur their speech.

Thank you wise man

Why is Arkansas pronounced Arkansaw?
Why is mobile pronounced mobeel?
And so on... (US only).

Why is colour spelt "color" in America?

Can't give a definite answer but probably because the English language has evolved so much over thousands of years so Leicester and other place names in the UK are just remnants of that bygone era... An example being the old English/Norse letter 'thorn' that kinda looked like a 'y' but the thorn fell out of fashion and now people think that 'ye' is pronounced 'yeee' rather than the correct pronunciation of 'thee'

You're the ones who use the extra vowel for no reason. You can do the explaining.

Words are arbitrary, meaningless sounds used to express ideas. Spelling is arbitrary, meaningless scribbles used to represent arbitrary, meaningless sounds which are in turn used to represent chemical reactions in the brain of an animal on a rock in a mostly empty, merciless universe.

>Trumpsayingwrong.png
Ye is nominative second person plural, thee is oblique second person singular. The pairs are ye and you and thou and thee. Not a spelling error.

Well "colour" is pronounced more like "col-uh" than "col-or" as well as "colour" being an English evalution of the French word "Couleur" because y'know Normans and shit in the ten houndreds ... Nuff said

15-luv
to serve

I was going on about people thinking that 'ye' is pronounced 'y-ee' rather than the correct way of pronouncing it which is 'thee' not the context in which ye should be used

It's almost like people in different parts of the world speak the same language differently

ayo cuz what coluh is yo ride

no. It's pronounced color.

"ayo cuz what coluh is yo ride" - What does that sentence even mean? In all honestly I have no clue what you are getting at there, mate.

I swear i've even heard amerifags pronounce colour closer to "col-uh" than "col-or" or am I high?

Amerifags have a lot of different accents depending on what part of the country they're from, and yes this would be true in some cases. It isn't typical of the country as a whole, though.

There's no w in Jaguar either.

It's chimp speak for what color is your vehicle.

youtube.com/watch?v=WXf7GROXP6M

Most yanks talk like spastics. that fucking upward inflection they do at the end of each sentence, like everything is a question. really gets on my tits

Fair enough.

Any insight as to the sentence I quoted from user? I am actually a bit curious and I haven't the foggiest as to what "ayo cuz what coluh is yo ride" means?

The English language is called English for a reason.

fucking american retards pronounce it LEI KES TER hahaha

Really? Thank you for letting me know!

So to answer your question I don't drive, i'm afraid. I'm just a poor Uni student that can't afford lessons, a car, tax, MOT and England's ridiculously high insurance premiums :(

Leice pronounced Less
Ster pronounced Ster
Less+Ster=Lester

Because fuck you
nigger

That was just stereotypical ghetto nigger speak.

>angry fedora-tpper with a teenangst

I swear none of you faggots have been outside of your mothers basement. The way people speak a language differs from place to place.
South America is a great example for that, those mother fuckers all have their own thing going on.

Huh, the more you know. England's version still have the "oi you cheeky wanker" thing going on but just throw in some "bruvs", "wagwan's" and "you get me's" in there

Yes, ayo is hey yo, cuz is used like mate, What coluh is yo ride is what color is your ride. Ride is just used in place of vehicle

why is i spelled e in amerifat?
why is e spelled i in amerifat?

mind = blown

Idc how south africans do speak [spoiler]why shall I?[/spoiler]
Thats more about the englishmen and their toponyms
For ex what does *HAM* mean? [spoiler]In Southhampton, Buckingham and etc.[/spoiler] bet you even truly englishmen havent it known

You made me read your whole comment with upward inflections on your sentences. Jammy bastard

Speculating, but it could be to do with the word hamlet

>Why is Arkansas pronounced Arkansaw?
What is even weirder is that Arkansas is pronounced Arkansaw but Kansas is not pronounced Kansaw

Guessing that you're going on about how Birmingham and Buckingham etc is pronounced "Birming-mm" and "Bucking-mm" rather than "Birming-ham"

This has never sat right with me either.

Also like Armerifats think places like Yorkshire is pronounced "York-SHIRE" like its middle-fucking-earth or something when it's actually either "York-sher" or "York-shear (like shearing a sheep or something)" depending on whether you're posh or not.

How ever it would be pronounced the words still contain HAM in them
(And here are many examples as Tottenham, Westhampton, Fulham, Rotherham)
I don't believe it never meant to have a meaning

I'm American and I know how to say Yorkshire properly. Pretty sure any educated burger knows this, but that leaves plenty of retard burgers and I don't know wtf they say.

What about Worcestershire?

Americans can't say Edinburgh

> edin-burg
> edin-bo-ro
> edin-bort

its enought to make a Yorkshireman want to throttle some bastard

That's kind of a weird one, yeah.

Worce - ster - shire = Worcestershire, easy!

don't worry about it - Scots place names make English place names look sensible.

Milngavie
> pronounced 'Miln-guy'
Strathaven
> Stray-ven
Auchtermuchty
> ?

I never understood why the e in women makes the o sound different.

I'm a Southern-fairy (South West so not as bad as South East and we hate them too) but even I feel bad for you lot

Why is Sean pronounced Shawn

Okter-moktie?

>Through
throo
>Thorough
thorow
>Rough
ruff

Tottenham, Westhampton, Fullham and Rotherham would be pronounced as: "Totten-mm", "West-amp-ton (so kind of?)", "Full-mm", and "Rother-mm"

> edin-bo-ro
do people actually do this? I could understand if it looked like Edinborough, but this is just ridiculous. American btw

he's inquiring the meaning of the HAM part, not how it's pronounced.

Have a crack at some Cornish names:

Angarrack
Breage
Duloe
Egloskerry
Pocahontas
Nancekuke
Tywardreath

Love from a fellow (Cornish) Celt

You're the ones who removed a vowel actually. You know, since we britbongs gave you your language. You have a knack for mutilation don't ya, ey, amerifags?

You mean Inglish yeah?

>Pocahontas
Did you just throw that in there to take the piss or what ?

Classic example of silly english spelling

>rough
gh becomes f
>women
o becomes i (as in wimmin)
>action
ti becomes sh

Conclusion: "ghoti" should be pronounced "fish"

>Angarrack
Fucking Murgos takin' our jobs

Its better to say "Totnemm", "Rotremm", "Fulheim" and "Westemptun" or just "Westhemtun"
But its not even about the pronunciation. Pronunciation diffs and changes just as language does
But the written form is still HAM no matter how you pronounce
And I still dont believe it doest mean a thing and is just randomly put

at least we're not Welsh.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Llangynwyd

Sorry, misunderstood. Here's an excerpt from Wikipedia about it:

Most English place-names are either Old Norse or Anglo-Saxon but there is a scattering of Celtic names over the whole country. Other place-names are hybrids of Celtic and Anglo-Saxon elements. There are a high level of personal names within the place names, presumably the names of local landowners at the time of naming. In the north and east, there are many place names of Norse origin; similarly, these contain many personal names. In general, the Anglo-Saxon and Norse place names tend to be rather mundane in origin, the most common types being [personal name + settlement/farm/place] or [type of farm + farm/settlement] (almost all towns ending in -wich, -ton, -ham, -by, -thorpe, -stoke/stock are of these types).

they couldn't even handle the second 'i' in Aluminium.

Anyone?

wimmin is just your shit pronunciation.

> youtube.com/watch?v=c3y0CD2CoCs

ITT: Uppity Colonials

Ye, couldn't help myself. Let's replace it with Perranzabuloe then. A real pace in Cornwall this time

Because its pronunciation set not by the grammar of english but by the one of french

time to re-invade methinks

Hey now. Us Welsh are proud and for good reason. Snowdonia for fuck sake. It's practically on my doorstep. We are Celtic and our flag is a fucking dragon. Shove that up your St George loving Paki Sniffing arses, cunts.

How's it pronounced? Lanjinvid or what?

Plus you had King Arthur! Well either you or us Cornish had him. I'm gonna say he was Cornish for totally legitimate reasons other than the fact that i'm Cornish despite all the evidence suggesting he was Welsh...

Was totally Cornish though, like, I promise. For realsies

Never been to Cornwall, furthest 'dahn sarf' I've been is that London. I was glad to get home intact, a right shitehole it is. The Luftwaffe had the right idea for that place.

>Why is colour spelt "color" in America?
Because of Noah Webster (he of the amazingly dumbed-down dictionary with E-Z spellings for immigrants).
For a long time English was a second language in the US. You had whole states inhabited by European migrants who used their own language rather than the more difficult English. Swedes in Minnesota, French in Lousiana, Spanish in the West.
Webster sought to make English more regular, like most European languages. He failed, of course, but most Americans (being as parochial and isolationist as they are) are unaware that they sound and write like 10-year olds.

I highly recommend you coming down to Cornwall, absolutely stunning place to visit or live. You are right though. The South East just needs to be obliterated and Devon (grrr) is full of savage, beastly, heathens who can't even get a pasty right! The crimping on the top!? How's a tinner meant to grab onto that!? Fucking savages I tell you. Bleddy Emmets the lot of them

"Aluminium" with the second I sounds autistic as fuck. Literally the gayest thing on the periodic table when you spell it and say it this way.

I'd forgot how serious you boys are about your pasties.

yeah go for it. we'll sink your little island

colour isn't said differently though....?

American here. Post some pics of Cornwall? I don't know a lot about it but I've heard it's pretty.

When it come's to pasties we Cornish are VERY serious and are VERY salty if they're not right...

I'm not living in Cornwall right now (for Uni) and i'd gladly fuck someone up if I see even a hint of carrot or pea in there.. OR THE FUCKING DEVON DOG SHIT CRIMPING!

Seriously though come visit us sometime since we really need your money. It's the main thing keeping us afloat and don't mind us if we give you weird looks and call you an emmet behind your back.

This is the old Minak theatre and I think they still preform plays here

Half the other elements in the periodic table end with 'ium'.

> Thorium
> Lithium
> Americium

AlumiNUM

Kynance cove

Because the english language is a combination of like 30 languages from all over the globe.

However the best word to get any non-britfag to pronounce is worcestershire. It's wuss-ter-sher.
Shire is generally prounced sher not shyre.

Yeah but thorium and lithium roll off the tongue naturally. Aluminium is just an unwieldy mouthful. I'll give you that Americium sounds autistic as shit too though. I forgot about that one.

Don't be ridiculous. Why would you pronounce it "Kansaw" when it's spelled "Kansas"?

Mate I just moved to Devon from Cornwall, it's actually a shithole.
If anyone wants to visit, only go to Fowey or Truro. Avoid Newquay.

Nice. I love the UK's beaches. Most Americans are all about sandy beaches but it doesn't get much comfier to me than a rocky seashore.

I've never seen top crimping in Devon. Have in Newquay though.

We have rocks a'plenty. But there are a bunch of compilations of Conrwall on YT, there is some really nice drone fly overs and things if you're interested in seeing more

Don't h8 on us m8
Ur just mahd u can't be in the murder capital

Do you pronounce Worcestershire with an R in the first syllable in a rhotic dialect? Non-rhotic master race here so I never even thought about it.

Sure Newquay and Callington etc are shit holes but Mousehole, Peranporth and Penzance to name a few are lovely! Doubt you'll find a single county that doesn't have a Callington in it

Pics of girls you know.
>Snpchat.me
thank me later