So, I've got a GTX 970 EVGA SC at the moment, bought it back in the summer of 2015. I've got an i7 3770K OCd to 4.2 ghz...

So, I've got a GTX 970 EVGA SC at the moment, bought it back in the summer of 2015. I've got an i7 3770K OCd to 4.2 ghz. Can you fags tell me if a) it's worth the upgrade to a 1070 and b) will my processor bottleneck a 1070?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=PgejkSWzvNs&t=360s
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I have an i5 3570k OC'd to 4.1ghz with a 1070 and the cpu is def the bottleneck but I'm still getting much better framerates than I did with my old gtx 970

Yeah probably if you're gonna upgrade I'd recommend AMD if you're gonna OC since my 9370 is OC to 5.03Ghz (it's supposed to be 4.7Ghz turbo but fuck that)

dont listen to him. intel master race ftw. amd has garbage drivers that will never get any updates.

yeah and AMD is cheaper and plus core i7's perform equally as core i5's and you don't need anymore than 60fps (standard monitor refresh rate is 60Hz) my 9370 at 5Ghz perfroms as well as earlier i7's for a 1/2 to a 1/3 the cost

eh cheaper doesn;t make it better. and not exactly equal, especially when refresh rates of 144 will be standard on virtual reality. not to mention it looks much better.

my monitor is 60Hz so I don't need fancy ass GPU's and shit someday I may upgrade to a 144Hz and get a 1070 to pair with my current card and CPU I like AMD because it's cheaper and you can brag about 5Ghz OC which is jaw dropping to some who can barely get their i7 passed 4.2Ghz

You're processor is fine. Your cpu will only bottle neck you if you sli because the 3770k i believe only supports 16 lanes of processing. And stay with intel, amd is garbage.

I won the silicon lottery and can get my i5 3570k to 4.8 but I found almost no improvement. Youre just shortening the life of your cpu with little to no benefit.

>Go to best buy
>Get EVGA 1070 SSC
>Find most oblivious cashier
>show pic related
>ask for price match
>Get GTX 1070 for price of GTX1050

Pretty retarded to go from a 3770k to anything from AMD at the moment, simply look at any tests online regarding CPU performace... To answer your question OP, no your CPU will not bottleneck in most modern games at 1080p or higher

from 4.4 to 5.0 I noticed a 10fps increase overall in all games but 5.1 my computer will sometimes boot and at 5.0 I can't run cinebench because it crashes my computer

You realize the computer, not the drone, does all that right?

with Ryzen coming out there may be a cheap alternative to intels highly priced chips

could be something to do with amd architecture bc i would get an increase of 2+ fps at most

could be from 3.8Ghz to 5 my cinebench score went up by about 150ish

a) No, unless you're trying to push > 1440p and/or >60fps. 970 is still a great 1080p card

b) Maybe in some games but mostly no

Exactly, hence the "at the moment". Hopefully Ryzen will challenge intel regarding IPC, and give more cores for the same price

anyone got tips on keeping my motherboard heatsinks cool? (they burn to the touch)

if you wanna brag about cores and OC go AMD since my 9370 has 8 cores vs intels 4 cores (no hyper threading does not equal 8 cores) ryzen may induce competition

Unless you notice strange behavior, i.e. random shutdowns or similar you shouldn't worry, the heatsinks are supposed to get hot!

yeah but not to the point it burns your finger in a second but sometimes my computer will shutdown and will refuse to turn on so I bring out the big fan and blow cool air into it to get everything cool and then it boots

AMD got 8 "cores" but only 4 modules where 2 cores share hardware in each module, making it no more 8 cores than intel's i7 with 4 cores and 8 threads in real usage

What motherboard do you have? Usually some effective case fans is enough to keep the motherboard from overheating

each core is independent so its 8C/8T a true octa core intel has hyperthreading and information can only be sent down one thread each (like a water pipe and valve water can be sent into one pipe at a time but is more efficient than AMD)

gigabyte 990FX UD3

Check a roonie

you realise he gets paid the same at the end of the day, probably knew exactly what he was doing, and didn't give a shit?

source: i do the retails.

This is probably the only thread ill het thr chance to ask this

Im building a computer from scratch, here in SEA. computer parts are ungodly expensive. I plan on getting a gtx970 OC 4GIG turbo and an Intel cpu

A i7 7700k kabylake is only 100usd more than an i5 6600.

Is the new i7 worth it? Usually the first markers in ever new intel i-series is shit (only proof of that is i bought an i7 1st gen as soon as they got here)

General advice welcome. I'm grabbing 16gb 26xx ram, 600w psu, generic case and peripherals, and have yet to choose a MB

No each core in AMD:s Bulldozer architecture is not independent, they are paired into modules as stated previously. Check any sort of benchmark, gaming, rendering etc and you will see that i7 with 8 threads outperforms even highly clocked "octacore" AMD processors...

Get this.

I would look for a 4790k or a 6700k if you want to save some money, the difference between these and 7700k is negligible.

nice 7's m8

youtube.com/watch?v=PgejkSWzvNs&t=360s

Thats the thing, the price difference is negligible because even a 4th gen i3 is only 120usd less. The cost of a i7 4xxx is literally 20usd less than a brand new i7 77xx kaby. Here in SEA, The customer is always ass fucked