He scrobbles his music

>he scrobbles his music

I've been using computers for 25 fucking years and I still don't know what scrobble means.

seriously, what's wrong with scrobbling?

dunno but what program do you use?

It's a last.fm thing

i deleted last.fm a few years ago after i stopped giving a fuck that my listens were being recorded and noticed it wasn't really the best site to talk about music anyway.

OHHH LOOK WHAT GOOD TASTE I HAVE XDD

more like it's just cool to see your listening habits organized into charts n shiet

>he doesn't scrobble

I retired at 100k scrobbles. LastFM got too bloated. I feel a lot better too now, the OCD of remembering to scrobble everything was painful, now I don't have to think about anything when I play music.

>he doesn't have 6000 death grips scrobbles

why is it cool? wtf...

scrobbling is bad for you psychologically

set the scrobbler to launch with your computer if it's hard to remember?

nice reference my friend!

how?

Explain further

>the OCD of remembering to scrobble everything was painful
Most decent music players do this automatically user

it fucks with ur head

go on...?

>not manually scrobbling your vinyls

are you dense?

my father scrobble his entire adult life, now he has schizophrenia

go figure

no. who gives a shit about your listening habits?

scrolling through my albums on itunes seems cooler than that.

it gamifies listening to music. you're no longer concerned with what you're hearing, but with accumulating scrobbles. it's like facebook posts. your interest in sharing your thoughts is shifted from the thoughts to their percieved "likability." it saps and impurifies the experiential qualities of writing and listening to music and turns it into yet another system of currency by which to evaluate our lives. in short it transforms even the most subjective, authentic, and free activities like listening to music you enjoy into an outlet for capitalist ideology. finally, the scrobbles themselves actually work to make your subjectivity quantifiably accessible, enabling marketing teams to more easily interpellate you as an ideal consuming subject.

this is essentially what i would have said if i felt articulate enough to at this moment in time

yeah i can't shake the feeling that scrobbling will eventually turn you from:
>oh shit this sounds amazing

to

>oh shit look who im listening to

ok or you could not make such a big deal out of it? my scrobbler does everything automatically and i don't even think about it. when i'm curious about how much i've listened to or whatever i look at it. when i'm looking for new recommendations i look at it. that's it. what's wrong with that?
i totally see what you're saying. lots of people on mu treat it like a game and are way too obsessed with cultivating their "taste" but last.fm has some uses and you don't have to use it like the spergs do.

I can't stop, OP. I started in 2009. Damn near everything i've listened to since then has been scrobbled. Attempted to step away from it a couple times but i can't stop. It's a fucking drug.

This.

>you're no longer concerned with what you're hearing, but with accumulating scrobbles
No one gives that much of a shit about it user. It's an afterthought that doesn't factor into my music listening habits at all. It's just handy for recs and interesting statistics.

Damn, I'm glad I never started now

Get the fuck out?!

I mean for stuff not listened to on my computer, e.g. a CD on my commute to school and back, or stuff on my iPod while at work.

if this forum and others are any evidence, then you guys are a minority of cases. besides, i was just supplementing the other user's claim on "psychological damage," which i tend to just translate as the ideological reprogramming of every day life. i don't necessarily think this happens to everyone, just as its obvious that not everyone with a facebook becomes an insufferable twat gaming for likes and page views. some people genuinely want to use the service to keep track, get in touch, see what else is out there, whatever. but i do think that we have a society that tends to reward people who keep meticulous scorecards, that doing so is damaging to your enjoyment of the activity for which the score is being kept, and that all of that is generally symptomatic of a commodity culture characteristic of the capitalist mode of production.

Oh, you don't have a smartphone.

Theres literally nothing wrong with scrobbles

i had to stop after a couple of years of doing it because i found myself taking too much pleasure in what i listened to and reveling in my taste, took away from the purity of enjoying the experience of listening to music

i didn't want the music that i liked to be part of my identity to the point that my taste mattered more than my enjoyment of music if that makes sense

10/10 reference

>tfw not low iq enough to let scrobbling make me hate music for no reason

>he posts alt-right pseudery in the shoutboxes of anti-Trump artists

>he thinks alt-right is a real thing

scrobbling is bondage, I'm glad I stopped last year

You dickheads know you can scrobble without visiting the site, right? There's literally no reason not to scrobble: it's passive, not a labor.

This argument never fails!

Sometimes I listen on youtube, anyways there's no point especially since the social aspect of the site died.