In one year I plan on pouring all my savings into purchasing a sailboat and sailing the world for a year

In one year I plan on pouring all my savings into purchasing a sailboat and sailing the world for a year.

How retarded am I?

>pouring all your savings into one recreational purpose
very retarded
>taking some time of regular and doing something fun
not very retarded

Do something less expensive, or buy a less expensive boat.

if you dont get killed by somali pirates you are fine

the only thing retarded in any of this is asking Sup Forums....most of these dudes can't even talk without stuttering.

go buy your boat.

Sailor here. What's your experience like?

Do you know how to sail? If not can I come along?

None whatsoever.

I mean I have a sunfish but thats like a whole different ballgame.

I plan on joining some crews for a bit before the purchase.

Not big boats.

Where you at?

Canada but I like to sail.
It's not much different from a sunfish to be honest.
Source: sailed a sunfish and 200ft long double masted tall ship.

>Quite.

As long as you don't sink your life savings into a boat.... I think it's a great idea. You'll hear from other sailor along the way where it's dangerous.

Where are you?

Minnesota, but probably going to purchase and set sail from MD or Washington

If you leave from Washington that's not far from where I've done some sailing.

I mostly just want to do as little land transport as possible so Ill be buying from areas with huge sailing communities.

How old are you user?

Alright been fun guys but I gotta get back to work if Im going to afford that boat.

Peace out

Hit us up again some time user. I want to know how it goea

It will harder then you think op I've had a sailboat first off where are you hoing to put it? In a marina that's gonna cost you money every month. Are you going to stock up on food?

make sure as fuck you buy a few things

1. two digital compass's.
2. two long range radio's.
3. 2 GPS's, water proof if you can.
4 and this is the most important. A fucking self contained inflatable enclosed life raft (depending on how much you wanna spend, 3K will get you a 4 man, with 2 weeks packed rations on the inside lining).

because now a days there is so much sea garbage. The odds of you making it, around the world is rare without accidents.

Get a GPS steering device for your sail boat too. So you can sail during the night. otherwise, its' going to take you twice as long to do it. And you will only be able to travel during the day. which makes long as fuck hours (think 16 hour days)
With a GPS wheel. You can make your days down to 12 hours. Auto pilot for 8 hours.

Use 1/10th of our savings for the boat. Rest you invest to fund your expenses while sailing.
You will be fucked if you get all your savings into the boat and the mast breaks in the middle of the pacific.

if the mast breaks in the middle of the pacific, no money in the world is going ot help you.

PS. get a diesel engine for the boat, cause it can run on cooking oil if need be.

Wrap your secondary gear i mentioned above in plastic. Keep one set out. The other wrapped in plastic. Put it in the inflatable if you can. And you should be good. Buy a small boat mounted grill for your boat. fishing rod and tackle, that wil lhelp you subsidize your food. Catching fish. When you get out in the real ocean, fish will bit at anything, even orange peels. Im from an island. I know this shit like the back of my hand.

For starters, unless you're a millionaire, this is an incredibly unrealistic plan. Yachts, even a small sailing yacht, will be cost you a million bucks to purchase and maintain. The food and supplies alone will likely be more than you'd make working a whole year.

Every teenager sees adults imprisoned by their job and dreams of being a free adult.... well here's the truth, it takes a lot of money to live free. And most will slave their whole lives away only to have a few years of freedom in their decrepit years at the very end, and that is it.

The quicker you can understand this, the quicker you will become mature. Having huge unrealistic dreams and expectations in life will shred you internally worse than anything.

But it takes most people till their 30s before they wrap their minds around the fact that they are ordinary and never will do anything epic or great. Get on board because you sure as shit won't do any yachting unless you're a surgeon or high powered lawyer or you were born into money.

>implying somebody actually planning to sail around the world is going to ask Sup Forums what equipment to bring

>digital compass
da fuq m8, do you even yacht? digital gps can be a nice gadget, but only in addition to at least one proper compass
>two long range radio
yeah, pretty standard to have one vhf mounted and one portable as a minimum for ocean crossing
>2 GPS's, water proof if you can.
maritime chart plotter, nice to have but expensive for the good ones, put one in the boat (with two screens if money allows) and an etrex 20/30 for cheap waterproof handheld backup.
>life raft
Yes.
>Get a GPS steering device for your sail boat too.
Stupidly expensive, very few people use those for recreational sailing, even circumnavigations. Get a cheap tiller pilot or similar from a large manufacturer so that you can get spare parts later. Fuck GPS-steering, he'll need money for rum and whores.

Buy an old lenovo thinkpad (ask Sup Forums) and an AIS antenna and find some software with collision course detection for night sailing, pirate the maps. This will also work as a cheap chart plotter, but isn't waterproof.

You'll need extra anchors and chains. An absolute minimum of 1 big and 2 mediums of a decent model.

Listen to this guy.

Most people who do this are not millionaires. Small sailboats capable of ocean crossing can be found for under 5k USD.

I bought a sailboat last year in Sweden (I live in Germany). I had no prior sailing experience, other than what I taught myself on youtube. 3 weeks later I had sailed it back with my friend (who also had no sailing experience).

Is a fun long story. Best time of my life.

Respect. Take me with you.

whatever floats your boat..

Mate I sail with nothing but Navionics on my iPhone app. lol

Buy a J Class.

Nothing else is worth having.

Also, buy used. don't poor all your money in. You can buy a used quality boat (35-ish foot), have your adventure and get your money back after the year. have friends that did this

Not OP.

maybe for you that lost at life and have nothing to live for anymore. I intend to do great stuff mate

Navionics works great for coastal sailing, but personally I wouldn't trust it if I were to start crossing oceans. I've used my phone for navigation several times and it works just fine, but I do prefer my cheap and simple etrex 20 for the improved battery life and extra waterprooofness (my old galaxy nexus lost a power button to salt water).

Sa-says who-ho

Might I suggest adding a bicycle or perhaps even an electric bicycle to your mix? You'll want to be independently mobile when you're on shore but you'll need to minimize the spatial footprint of all your shit as space is at a premium on most sailboats. So rather than a motorcycle or scooter, an electric bike gives you nearly the same range, takes up less space, let's you go "al natural" by peddling everywhere to keep up the fossil-fuel-minimum romanticism going, all while not being entirely limited to your physical stamina.

everyone intends to do great stuff

reminds me of the Call of Cthulhu film

lol I remember this guy. didnt they find him on a yacht floating around near an island?

Fapping till the end. I salute this man...and i envy him. One could only dream of such a glorious and magnificent end.

>gonna dump all savings in a metaphorical hole in the water
>be on the ocean for a year, not working
nigga how you gonna afford food?

This is depressing

WELL, I have actually done a shit load of sailing in my life so here are a few things to accept.

You will get sea sick

You will Get sick

You will run low on supplies

Your engine will have an issue

Your sails will have an issue

You will have to be alert constantly

You will shit yourself in a real oceanic storm.

Good luck user.

Can confirm.
Lots of nice experiences to be had too, but thats 5-10% of the time.

Maybe go through those american sailing association classes first? Otherwise not dumb. My dad is leaving this year for his trip.

You can go on a 40-port round-the-world cruise on a cruise ship for about a tenth the price it would cost for supplies, maintenance and depreciation.

>see same water
>see same ports and destinations
>no work
>no maintenance
>no having to buy supplies
>no dangers

Brilliant

you forgot
>No satisfaction of being a man and doing things the hard way