I just cannot get into rap. I've tried with just about everything you guys have posted. Danny Brown, Kanye West...

I just cannot get into rap. I've tried with just about everything you guys have posted. Danny Brown, Kanye West, Kendrick, it just does not do anything for me. I can appreciate the different things in each album, but I just can't enjoy it. Should I write off the genre as not for me?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ln-Jq6X6p-g
youtube.com/watch?v=Ro6uvx7FKcQ
youtube.com/watch?v=R2ROWR9GwDs
youtube.com/watch?v=V7OO2jjZbwU
youtube.com/watch?v=NWWeQlXfSa0
youtube.com/watch?v=Vh_DemrVmN8
youtube.com/watch?v=7EEACrlmWS4
youtube.com/watch?v=nLI41BR9xoA
youtube.com/watch?v=phaJXp_zMYM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

youtube.com/watch?v=ln-Jq6X6p-g

(You) I can keep replying if you'd like, but don't expect much more substance to my responses.

what do you listen to?

Don't write it off entirely, but maybe don't try and force yourself to enjoy it. I'm sure there's eventually something you'll enjoy wholeheartedly.
Honestly, a lot of rappers commonly mocked for being for white people are good entry points into the genre. Stuff like Eminem, Childish Gambino, or Tech N9ne.

Pretty basic stuff. From Sup Forumscore to local stuff. Most of what I can find locally is mainly generic indie rock or emo, though.

Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of rap songs I've enjoyed from different artists, but they're almost always one-offs.

just diversify your tastes in general and you'll probably eventually get into it
some people use instrumental hip-hop like donuts (j dilla) or plunderphonics (like sily by the avalanches or endtroducing by dj shadow) as an entry point

Assume my tastes are diverse enough as to where I don't really understand why it's so hard for me to get into the genre. Appreciate the recs though

nah these albums you posted aren't good entry points.

can you say what makes you not like it specifically?

That's because you are a racist. Try reading some literature written by non-white men and women.

I can't describe it well, there's just an element of most genres that grabs me enough to make me want to keep listening. For rap, that's absent. It feels empty.

I read Chinese literature and hate reading literature writing by Blacks, what does that make me?

>assume something that's false
until you "understand" noise music, you will never understand hip hop.

but user i read kite runner

>kike runner

Wow you're racist.

I mean do you like House or Techno?

Don't worry about the actual validity of it. Just treat the issue without the impediment of that.

no user, you misunderstand, i also read native son

Try Telefone by Noname or Morale by Romeo Elvis (not morale 2, it sucks)

yes, although not a huge fan.

that's literally your blockade though. It isn't just about hip hop. I'm positive there are other, more electronic, genres you don't "get" because your tastes are so limited.

2pac, Kid Cudi and early wiz khalifa is good shit mane.

someone with yellow fever

You're getting too caught up on it. I'm not gonna make a list of genres I like because that's just pointless and will obviously exclude plenty of genres. Imagine I love every genre except rap. What should I try to do to enjoy it, beyond simple appreciation?

get this: the vocals are the rhythmic section, not the melodic section!
Although that doesn't stop ppl from trying.
Basically the focus is the rhythm, and not just the backing track. The vocals are there to enhance that rhythm.

On instrumental hip-hop the beat is enhanced with kooky samples

Alright. Any specific songs I should try to listen to with that perspective, save for the new Kendrick?

entry-level pleb-tier

that was the intended humor pal

>Emo
>Indie
I see what the problem is. You're just too white to enjoy it. Just forget about it, it's just not for you.

Maybe you would be more into...
Guilty Smiles
Hizkit
MF DOOM
Flirta D
Big Pun (Love this guy)

that's just local music

I feel you OP, aside from a song here and there I just don't like hip hop. I am much more prone to enjoying it if it is instrumental hip hop as I really dislike rapping. I have yet to find a mainstream hip hop song that I like, if I like the beat and rhythm then the black guy rapping about how great he is will ruin the song for me, if I like the rapper then the boring music will ruin it for me. There's just always something that prevent me from enjoying the song.

Check out older acts like

Wu-Tang Clan
Gang Starr
Public Enemy
Beastie Boys
NWA

That's the good shit.

>Big Pun
youtube.com/watch?v=Ro6uvx7FKcQ

>Wu-Tang Clan
This, I prefer them to NWA and all the "heavy gangster rap" , the individuals in it too - Method man, Raekwon etc

youtube.com/watch?v=R2ROWR9GwDs

youtube.com/watch?v=V7OO2jjZbwU

Not OP but I tried listening to the Wu Tang Clan and turned it off when they started talking about sewing peoples asshole shut and force feeding them, I laughed a little but that doesn't make it less stupid and it ruined the album that I wasn't even enjoying in the first place.

Yeah Big Pun is literally the best rapper. I prefer kooky stuff though, hence Hizkit

Appreciate the recs.

No problem. And if you can't even enjoy the classics then I think you should give up and stick to your gay indie rock.

try dis

youtube.com/watch?v=NWWeQlXfSa0

Will do.

Try listening to 3 Feet High and Rising by De La Soul, it's pretty listenable hip hop.

It's ok. Hip hop is shit, despite what this board would lead you to believe.

/thread

hiphop isn't only flow and lyricism, nowadays it depends heavely on beats.

If you kinda like trap beats like atl or memphis style you may enjoy listening some modern hiphop but if you dislike it just stay away because the combination with crappy lyrics will make it insufferable for you.

instrumental/plunderphonics is the superior genre anyways

youtube.com/watch?v=Vh_DemrVmN8

youtube.com/watch?v=7EEACrlmWS4

Just listen to Eminem

Listen to this

OP is a faggot. I know you are reading this and I know you reported the other threads. You are a beta male.

this. he's a nu-male lol.

congrats, you have taste

Hip-hop is the most boring genre I've ever heard. Every time I listen to a song I think nice this is a good sample and okay the rapping is okay, a bit grating but I can get down to this but then after the first minute and the same four second sample repeats itself the hundredth time I want something to change and I can't follow a single thing the rapper is talking about or understand half the words they say then I think about how low skill this really is, just a recording of someone else's music with some repulsive figure talking over it and then I think about how shit hip hop culture is and all the cringey white people who follow it and I turn it off and listen to some jazz music and feel refreshed that the music fucking changes during the song.

Endtroducing
GZA - Liquid Swords
anything with Ol Dirty Bastard in it (just tracks usually, Wu-Tangs stuff is ok, 36 chambers isnt the golden boy they say)
Good Kid Maad City is fucking brilliant from start to finish
Q - Habits and Contradictions is good and Oxymoron has very accessible and good tracks on it

B-but I thought nu-males loved rap? I thought that was a part of their whole thing.

If he was a nu-male he would have been a rap fan, white guilt and all that.

try this:
youtube.com/watch?v=nLI41BR9xoA

You should try listing to old skool hip hop. Start from the beginning, dude,

The entire genre of rap is a meme, all rap is memerap, as it's objectively inferior/cheaper music. It's our degenerate plebeian Sup Forums that has tried to make us believe rap is an "essential" genre and that if you don't like it you must be "narrow-minded", a "redditor" who is "born in le wrong generation" and there's probably some racial element to it too. Rap music has no staying power. All of rap is just a neo-rockist sub-genre of top-40 pop, with a "urban" paint job. This music doesn't stand the test of time, it's a fad. That's why rappers are discussed about like fashion. Image/fashion/numbers sold are actually considered when talking about them. Rap is just a really cheap/lazy form of music anyways. The majority of rap beats are just stealing (MUHH "SAMPLING") another artist's music, looping it over a generic drumbeat while someone "raps" over it. The "technical aspects" of rapping are not hard at all. That's why there's 14 year old white girls on YouTube uploading themselves flowing with ease and speed, dropping multis like it's nothing. But because they don't fit the image of a "rapper", no one would take seriously. I've listened to it all from backpacker shit like cLOUDDEAD and Atmosphere to the "golden days" of Public Enemy and Eric B. and Rakim to instrumental stuff like J Dilla and DJ Shadow to the 90s with Nas and Mobb Deep to the CLT approved A Tribe Called Quest and Digital Planets to today like Kendrick and Kanye. All rap is meme rap. All of it. Stop spamming it.

Does it matter if someone doesn't like hip-hop?

try cloud rap then boy

don't force it, it's commendable in a way to give genres a chance but overthinking music is a surefire way of dampening the fun of listening to it

Try listening to Eyedea & Abillites

i was in the same a few years ago, i listened to exmilitary and got into death grips really quickly, because it doesn't have that classic hip hop vibe. Then in time i started really wanting to listen something with more flow, then i got into MF DOOM really fast through MM..Food, now i am really enjoying some kendrick lamar tracks (Humble and DNA) and danny brown last album (mainly Ain't it Funny and Pneumonia).

Don't really force it, unless you feel that you like something but not quite yet.

I love rap as a genre but I hate the substance of 99% of the music out there. Not because I'm adverse to violence, drug references, pussy drowning, etc but it's all pop-tier lyrics and I hate how repetitive it is. It's hard to find great artists who don't fall back on these lyrical tropes in a majority of their music.

Kendrick Lamar does this much less so than most and Death Grips only occasionally, but Meme Grips are far from an average hip hop group.

I'm in a similar position to you, if you don't enjoy most rap, you won't one day suddenly. You can find a track, album, or maybe even an artist you love but you will never just suddenly click with the genre.

There are dozens of different types of rap music. Listen to hip hop from different scenes and eras. Check out NY rap from the 90's, Memphis rap from the late 90's, Bay area stuff, early 2000s Atlanta stuff, Midwest rap. Every scene has their own unique sound, so you should explore the scenes and maybe one will grab your attention

Is there anything more plebeian than writing off an entire genre?

OP, have you checked out Acid Rap by Chance the Rapper? Thats a good entry point to hiphop imo

Check out A Tribe Called Quest - Low End Theory

the first rap album i ever liked was ready to die by biggie smalls

youtube.com/watch?v=phaJXp_zMYM

I started with pic related and other cringy backpacker rap, then the first real rap I liked was Snoop's Doggystyle.

Unironically Exmilitary got me into hip-hop, even trap and shit

I'd start with DG (not even memeing) if you're looking for a more "off-the-wall" hip-hop to start with.

When I listened to a lot of their shit, I wanted to find more obscure stuff so I listened to cLOUDDEAD and Danny Brown. Then I started to like intricate flows and cadences so I found DOOM and Kendrick...I liked Kendrick's production so I started to listen to shit with really clean and glossy production like Kanye and Travis Scott

Eventually I started listening to Lil Pump and X

It was one big snowball for me

Hail to the Thief is probably one of the best rap albums I've ever listened to, probably one of. The best albums to listen to if you want to get into the genre.

Try wiz Khalifa, dizzy wrigt , flatbush zombies

try macklemore, he might be the one for you

What do you think of rock with elements of hip-hop such as Gorillaz, Linkin Park, and Twenty One Pilots?

I find it hard to get into genres other than hip-hop due to poor lyrical quality/depth. it sounds like a cliche reason and I know it's not always true, but I haven't found anything yet.

Try Deltron 3030.

Del is a lot like Andre 3000 in that they both rely a ton on the lyrics to tell an interesting story.

It was the album that gave me enough appreciation for the genre to be able to branch out and explore other parts.

Yea kinda same here

Not all music has to be, or should be, lyrically deep. You should expand what you want to get out of music, user.

Start with the shit from the 80s and move on from there.

>Sup Forumscore
I think that you shouldnt have too many expectations or standards of music, rap should be enjoyed, it isnt necessarily always deep

I bet none of you white boys even know the history of hip hop or understand the difference between it and rap. I know you don't because you use them interchangeably. Stick to your shitty death metal or whatever your uncle use to molest you to. Learn the history of hip hop, or you'll never appreciate it. Inb4 roodypoo detected

Rap is a meme, why are you trying to fall for it?