I CAN'T CARRY IT FOR YOU, BUT I CAN CARRY YOU

I CAN'T CARRY IT FOR YOU, BUT I CAN CARRY YOU

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=k6C8SX0mWP0
youtube.com/watch?v=Jlh_7Zebha4
youtu.be/rCZ3SN65kIs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Sam's resistance to the ring was actually underrated desu. Sure he didn't have it around his neck, but he spent 3 movies in pretty close proximity to it, and barely even tried shit.

sam's resistance to the ring was primarily in how the ring had nothing to tempt him with. He didn't want power, wealth, knowledge, or glory. He just wanted to help others. The ring couldn't offer him anything that would help him help others.

Hence the reason every powerful person in the setting was literally shitting themselves whenever it was near them.

SHARE THE LOAD

A touching scene and a great testement to Sam's loyality to Frodo. But... He could have just carried the ring, right? In fact it may have worked out slightly better if Sam just quickly toassed it into Mt.Doom. Let's not forget Frodo didn't actually want to destroy the ring in the end, and it only ended up being destroyed by accident.

youtube.com/watch?v=k6C8SX0mWP0

Best scene, best character

taking the ring from frodo would've broken frodo

He was pretty broken anyway, all his hobbit friends from the quest marry and have kids who then interbreed with each other (as is the Hobbit way) he writes his book, then sails the fuck away.

He does carry the ring for a little while in the book while they're in Mordor, I think while Frodo is incapacitated. But if Sam tried to take the ring from Frodo knowingly he would have gone full Gollum and probably killed him, even if it was to destroy it. And Frodo not wanting to destroy it after all that bullshit they went through is more to show the corrupting power of the ring than anything else, and it may be that the only way to destroy it is by accident. If Frodo had died at the foot of Mount Doom somehow and Sam had to drop it in himself, it's very likely that he would have had a change of heart and walked away. Hobbits have a resistance to the ring which is why they were able to get so far in the first place, but nothing is immune to it except for apparently ol Bombadillo.

Bullshit he had visions of becoming the greatest gardener and having the most beautiful garden in Middle Earth, he just blocked it.

Didn't he state earlier that he wants to marry Rosie?

;_;

F-5! F-5! BY GAWD HE JUST BROKE FRODO IN HALF

Was Sam a ring-bearer bearer?

desu I think of all things I'd prefer to be an orc, it just seems they have more fun

>break shit
>smash nerds and faggy elves
>cool armor
>great bants
>swole af

What was the deal with Bombadill? Who was he and what did he do? The part about him in the book is hazy, was he even relevant?

what did he mean by this?

One of my absolute favorite moments of the whole trilogy. Sam is so based. I feel like such a faggot for thinking him and frodo were gay as a kid; I'd do anything for a friend like him

Bombadil is just a meme and you're completely justified in skipping his chapters

>whoiz ya daddy'n whut doz'e do

FOR YOU

really? if you pay for our plane tickets ill carry you up a volcano

>>What was the deal with Bombadill?
Wacky mary sue literal god.

No one knows for sure. Some people have theorized that he's a deity or an embodiment of the settings creator god, but it's never clearly established. He is clearly more powerful than Gandalf because he actually puts the ring on, basically smiles and says "How quaint" then hands it back to Frodo, but in practical terms he's just a faggoty asshole in the woods singing songs with his waifu without a care for the outside world. As far as I can remember he doesn't do anything noteworthy in the Middle Earth timeline.

Tom Bombadil is the oldest guy in Middle Earth. He's like God.

A ELBERETH

GILTHONIEL

Aka, he wanted to help Rosie get an orgasm.

Theory still fits.

why couldnt he carry it?

why dont he carry it through the chain?

Isnt carring him basically carring it for him though?

>Actor (132 Credits)
>all shit
youtube.com/watch?v=Jlh_7Zebha4

THE LOAD

T H E L O A D

He's a Vala. Or a very very very strong Maiar.

He's Melkor's carefree twin brother

Frodo volunteered which may have something to do with it. Like he has greater willpower than Sam and if Sam had to carry it the whole way he would start dragging his feet and trying to turn back

Based Sam.
Sam was the true hero of the movie and books. Fredo was just a faggot.

Tom is an allegory for Americans

What the fuck was her problem?

CARRY ON MY WAYWARD SAM

Any r34 Orc on Elf rape?

Galadriel had a rough life. Read about it.

The Dwarves were allegories for Americans.

REEEEEEEEEEE no Tolkien himself said that he hated allegory in all of it's forms

Thought this looked and sounded really corny when I saw it the first time as a 11 year old boy.

>looked corny
The effects have held up pretty well actually. Freaked me out a bit the first time I saw it.

Elves were BTFO multiple times prior to LOTR. She probably saw like a gorilion of them genocided.

Scared the piss out of me the first time around, same with that Bilbo scene.

He couldn't help others with wealth or knowledge?

He just hates it when they try to relate it to real life politics. It's obvious that he wrote his own marriage three times in the book.

Wasn't it her dipshit brother or other relative who was responsible for kinslaying?

I wouldn't say that he was broken after all of that, I would say that he was a complete and utter peace. His life's mission, what he was born to do, was over, and he was content with what had happened. What he did brought peace to all of Middle Earth and I'm sure he was ready to go away for the rest of his life.

he still had major PTSD and his nazgul wound never healed properly. That's why he had to leave

Literal Jews.

Or that was Feanor not Finrod, I don't remember this shit

Rimsky-Korsakov said the same about Scheherazade. It is obvious they were both bullshitting even a kid could tell you that.

Jews.

So..... americans?

The big-nosed, gold-grubbing ones, sure.

>be evil ring
>reach into peoples' hearts to find shit to tempt them with
>literally all this fucker wants is to be a slightly better gardener than he already is

You think the ring was embarrassed to even attempt such a weak-ass coercion?

No they weren't. Dwarves were closer to the Swiss, they didn't try to meddle in the affairs of others, they were content with being completely isolated as long as they were hoarding their gold. Does that sounds like kikes to you? They meddle more than anyone.

that would be gollum (ie Alberich and Mime)

WHEN IM DONE WITH YOU NOT EVEN THE EVIL BEING SAURON WILL BE ABLE TO PUT YOU BACK TOGETHER BROTHER! OOOOHHH YEAAHHH.

Doesn't their race have a disease that involves going crazy by coveting money? C'mon senpai

>What was the deal with Bombadill
every fucking time.

Would Rosie want to marry a crazy one ring wearing psycho hunted by the nazgul?

Based Sam doesn't need an all powerful ring to get that hobbit puss

>Melkor's secret twin brother

Frodo was such a cunt

He was like Mr. House from New Vegas. God over his 2 square mile domain.

ITT: Manchildren raving about a simplistic, machiavellian "good-by-nature hobbits and white Gandalf against very very very evil Sauron and his black lackeys" work of fantasy. There are very few morally questionable characters in LotR because everyone's either white or black.

GRRM said it best:
“I admire Tolkien greatly. His books had enormous influence on me. And the trope that he sort of established—the idea of the Dark Lord and his Evil Minions—in the hands of lesser writers over the years and decades has not served the genre well. It has been beaten to death. The battle of good and evil is a great subject for any book and certainly for a fantasy book, but I think ultimately the battle between good and evil is weighed within the individual human heart and not necessarily between an army of people dressed in white and an army of people dressed in black. When I look at the world, I see that most real living breathing human beings are grey.”

The first time I watched the Bilbo scene was in slow motion and I can't take it seriously at all.

Well Tolkien had a glaring character omission if Dwarves were allegorical Jews, seeing as he explicitly added a character trait to Dwarves that is the antithesis of Jews.

>and the more she drank the more she shat

What happened to LOAD posting, it was still going strong a few years ago but now non-existent.

Old Tom Bombadil. Possibly the least liked character in The Lord of the Rings. A childish figure so disliked by fans of the book that few object to his absence from all adaptations of the story. And yet, there is another way of looking at Bombadil, based only on what appears in the book itself, that paints a very different picture of this figure of fun.

What do we know about Tom Bombadil? He is fat and jolly and smiles all the time. He is friendly and gregarious and always ready to help travellers in distress.

Except that none of that can possibly be true.

Consider: By his own account (and by Elrond’s surprisingly sketchy knowledge) Bombadil has lived in the Old Forest since before the hobbits came to the Shire. Since before Elrond was born. Since the earliest days of the First Age.

And yet no hobbit has ever heard of him.

The guise in which Bombadil appears to Frodo and his companions is much like a hobbit writ large. He loves food and songs and nonsense rhymes and drink and company. Any hobbit who saw such a person would tell tales of him. Any hobbit who was rescued by Tom would sing songs about him and tell everyone else. Yet Merry – who knows all the history of Buckland and has ventured into the Old Forest many times – has never heard of Tom Bombadil. Frodo and Sam – avid readers of old Bilbo’s lore – have no idea that any such being exists, until he appears to them. All the hobbits of the Shire think of the Old Forest as a place of horror – not as the abode of a jolly fat man who is surprisingly generous with his food.

If Bombadil has indeed lived in the Old Forest all this time – in a house less than twenty miles from Buckland – then it stands to reason that he has never appeared to a single hobbit traveller before, and has certainly never rescued one from death. In the 1400 years since the Shire was settled.

>Got

Well well

agreed. Tolkien never even describes how or where elves shit and piss, how they fuck, etc.

Daily reminder that GRRM is a hack and 10 years after that fat fuck dies no one will even remember he existed.

What do we know about Tom Bombadil? He is not what he seems.

Elrond, the greatest lore-master of the Third Age, has never heard of Tom Bombadil. Elrond is only vaguely aware that there was once someone called Iarwain Ben-Adar (“Oldest and Fatherless”) who might be the same as Bombadil. And yet, the main road between Rivendell and the Grey Havens passes not 20 miles from Bombadil’s house, which stands beside the most ancient forest in Middle Earth. Has no elf ever wandered in the Old Forest or encountered Bombadil in all these thousands of years? Apparently not.

Gandalf seems to know more, but he keeps his knowledge to himself. At the Council of Elrond, when people suggest sending the Ring to Bombadil, Gandalf comes up with a surprisingly varied list of reasons why that should not be done. It is not clear that any of the reasons that he gives are the true one.

Now, in his conversation with Frodo, Bombadil implies (but avoids directly stating) that he had heard of their coming from Farmer Maggot and from Gildor’s elves (both of whom Frodo had recently described). But that also makes no sense. Maggot lives west of the Brandywine, remained there when Frodo left, and never even knew that Frodo would be leaving the Shire. And if Elrond knows nothing of Bombadil, how can he be a friend of Gildor’s?

What do we know about Tom Bombadil? He lies.

A question: what is the most dangerous place in Middle Earth? First place goes to the Mines of Moria, home of the Balrog, but what is the second most dangerous place? Tom Bombadil’s country.
By comparison, Mordor is a safe and well-run land, where two lightly-armed hobbits can wander for days without meeting anything more dangerous than themselves. Yet the Old Forest and the Barrow Downs, all part of Tom’s country, are filled with perils that would tax anyone in the Fellowship except perhaps Gandalf.

'Tis true; I've never seen a Jew have an affinity for riding armored rams.

GRRM wasn't saying Tolkien is shit or anything, just that he writes a different type of fantasy.

The themes of ASOIAF and LOTR are incredibly different and they're great in their own right.

Now, it is canonical in Tolkein that powerful magical beings imprint their nature on their homes. Lorien under Galadriel is a place of peace and light. Moria, after the Balrog awoke, was a place of terror to which lesser evil creatures were drawn. Likewise, when Sauron lived in Mirkwood, it became blighted with evil and a home to monsters.

And then, there’s Tom Bombadil’s Country.

The hobbits can sense the hatred within all the trees in the Old Forest. Every tree in that place is a malevolent huorn, hating humankind. Every single tree. And the barrows of the ancient kings that lie nearby are defiled and inhabited by Barrow-Wights. Bombadil has the power to control or banish all these creatures, but he does not do so. Instead, he provides a refuge for them against men and other powers. Evil things – and only evil things – flourish in his domain. “Tom Bombadil is the master” Goldberry says. And his subjects are black huorns and barrow wights.

What do we know about Tom Bombadil? He is not the benevolent figure that he pretends to be.

Tom appears to the Ringbearer in a friendly, happy guise, to question and test him and to give him and his companions swords that can kill the servants of another evil power. But his motives are his own.

Consider: it is said more than once that the willows are the most powerful and evil trees in the Forest. Yet, the rhyme that Bombadil teaches the hobbits to use in conjuring up Bombadil himself includes the line, “By the reed and willow.” The willows are a part of Bombadil’s power and a means of calling on him. They draw their strength from the cursed river Withywindle, the centre of all the evil in the Forest.

And the springs of the Withywindle are right next to Tom Bombadil’s house.

And you've certainly never seen one content with fucking off out of the business of others

Pretty good, but this is always going to be a defining moment in film for me.
youtu.be/rCZ3SN65kIs

And then there is Goldberry, “the river-daughter”. She is presented as Bombadil’s wife, an improbably beautiful and regal being who charms and beguiles the hobbits. It is implied that she is a water spirit, and she sits combing her long, blonde hair after the manner of a mermaid. (And it is worth remembering that mermaids were originally seen as monsters, beautiful above the water, slimy and hideous below, luring sailors to drown and be eaten.) But I suggest the name means that in her true state, Goldberry is nourished by the River – that is, by the proverbially evil Withywindle.

In folklore and legend (as Tolkien would know well) there are many tales of creatures that can take on human form but whose human shape always contains a clue to their true nature. So what might Goldberry be? She is tall and slender - specifically she is “slender as a willow wand”. She wears a green dress, sits amidst bowls of river water and is surrounded by the curtain of her golden hair. I suggest that she is a Willow tree conjured into human form, a malevolent huorn like the Old Man Willow from whom the hobbits have just escaped. If she is not indeed the same tree.

So, if this is true, then why does Bombadil save and help the ringbearer and his companions? Because they can bring about the downfall of Sauron, the current Dark Lord of Middle Earth. When Sauron falls, the other rings will fail and the wizards and elves will leave Middle Earth and the only great power that is left will be Bombadil.

There is a boundary around Bombadil’s country that he cannot or will not pass, something that confines him to a narrow space. And in return, no wizard or elf comes into his country to see who rules it, or to disturb the evil creatures that gather under his protection.

>It wasn't included in the flight plan with me, Dr Pavel and only one of you

>smash nerds and faggy elves
>faggy elves

The faggy elves would rape you so hard that Ancalagon could build a swimming pool in your stretched asshole.

>well well

well well

When the hobbits return to the Shire after their journey to Mordor, Gandalf leaves them close to Bree and goes towards Bombadil’s country to have words with him. We do not know what they say. But Gandalf was sent to Middle Earth to contend against Sauron and now he must depart. He has been given no mission to confront Bombadil and he must soon leave Middle Earth to powerless men and hobbits, while Bombadil remains, waiting to fulfill his purpose.

Do I think that Tolkien planned things in this way? Not at all, but I find it an interesting speculation.

To speculate further and more wildly:

The spell that binds Bombadil to his narrow and cursed country was put in place centuries ago by the Valar to protect men and elves. It may last a few decades more, perhaps a few generations of hobbit lives. But when the last elf has gone from the havens and the last spells of rings and wizards unravel, then it will be gone. And Iarwain Ben-Adar, Oldest and Fatherless, who was ruler of the darkness in Middle Earth before Sauron was, before Morgoth set foot there, before the first rising of the sun, will come into his inheritance again. And one dark night the old trees will march westward into the Shire to feed their ancient hatred. And Bombadil will dance down amongst them, clad in his true shape at last, singing his incomprehensible rhymes as the trees mutter their curses and the black and terrible Barrow-Wights dance and gibber around him. And he will be smiling.

What was the deal with Bombadil? He is the greatest evil Midde Earth has ever known.

>Spears shall be shaken
>A sore day
>A red day
>RIDE NOW

Was Jackson invoking anal sex here?

Beautiful

A bit stretchy but interesting.

Dude already had Rosie he just needed to get back home to her and he knew that she wouldn't be safe as long as the ring existed so in order to have Rosie he had to destroy the ring.

I like the theory, but I think he was just there to make the story more interesting

The canonical Gandalf wouldn't ignore a real threat like that, Saruman less so, who was arguably much wiser than Gandalf until he gave up hope

A better theory is that he's one of the actual gods, higher than Gandalf, this would explain why no one has heard of him, and why that being would be more ambivalent about allowing evil creatures to live

I always thought that Goldberry was akin to a water nymph or similar.

In general though fetching looking watery women are always bad as they were used as cautionary tales for drowning. Sometimes only their upper part or only one side of them is beautiful and the other side is ugly and they use the beautiful side to entice people to come into the water and be drowned.

Any fantasy that has no realism to it is just children fiction. It's pretty evident Tolkien wasn't interested in writing adult fantasy, only a archetypal tale of how good triumphs over evil, even though there's no such thing in history, even the very history he participated in. None of the wars waged by humanity have ever been about the fate of civilization against some ominous power of darkness. The metaphor is poetic for sure, but Tolkien's work is ultimately hollow. Makes a good bedtime story for kids, though.

kinship between men is the purest form of love

>None of the wars waged by humanity have ever been about the fate of civilization against some ominous power of darkness.
Neither was Lord of the Rings. Mordor was civilized too.

I wonder how many Big Stoor Cocks Rosie took while Sam was away.
The whore.

>None of the wars waged by humanity have ever been about the fate of civilization against some ominous power of darkness.
Well, I don't see any Aztecs or Mayans around anymore...

Is the menu line actually in the books as well?

>He Ain't Heavy starts playing