So Sup Forums...

So Sup Forums, what's a topic you heard something about and would really like to know more about if you could be fucked researching it?

For me it's Chinese Ghost Cities (Cities and infrastructure build but completely uninhabited due to development timelines or the lack of rural-urban migration/city to city migration).

Just google: Chinese ghost cities - go on images. It's pretty cool/curious.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soylent_(food)
youtube.com/watch?v=heAwirsQcYU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

similarly I'm obsessed with Kowloon Walled City in hong kong. it's gone now but there are still movies up about it

>fucked researching it

WTF?

Hey that's pretty neat

There's tons of documentaries about these on youtube and vice.

>Chinese ghost cities
makes me wonder what would happen if all the major tech companies played Sim City in, say, the middle of Kansas. Just decide for economic puproses that it's worth creating a new city from scratch.

Imagine what that kind of thing could do to the electoral maps.

This but in North Korea

It's always weird to what docs about that country and watch the backgrounds. The groups of people in shots are staged by the gov and is alway interesting to see how empty things are past what your are supposed to focus on.

>propaganda game
>under the sun
Both are really interesting and I think under the sun points it out or shows it well

Automats.

as a kid, I ate in the last one, which was in the Empire State Building.

a few years ago, I saw some one tried to make a hipster walk-in burger joint with the automat thing but I don't think Americans are up for it anymore.

Americans, yes I am American before you ask, are too stupid for that shit. Most would burn their food, hands or face. Wonder why and then sue because warnings weren't posted because their food is hot out of the oven

the architecture of John Lautner.

That actually looks cool af

Is she goin die?

link to any of these documentaries? I searched youtube, but apparently i found fake ones posing as the real docs.

looks like something out of judge dredd movies

I've seen them. On the train from Shanghai to nanking, you go through like small housing areas then suddenly 50 towers, then housing etc like 20 times. And yes, apparently they are empty according to my gf and her father. It is very strange to see.

Personally I would like to learn more about how to make videos.

A concept similar to this is in the works in NY, I think. The idea is a restaurant that has no front of house staff. You order and pay from iPads at your table and the kitchen staff cook your food and put it in little trap doors for you to pick up. Zero interaction with the kitchen staff, you won't be able to see them or talk to them. Obviously not the same as an Automat but you get the idea.

perfect place for Sup Forums, no social interaction etc

you need to have a camera and need to have a finger or a borrowed finger to press the record button

what about the mosquitoes?

I think I took 1 photo, can't really remember. Just of empty looked large ass towers.

Quite strange the contrast. Because in the regional areas of china literally every foot of land is used for housing, footpath, roads or - if it is empty- cunts grow veggies there. Like nature strips with fucking bok choy just growing. literally everywhere. And compare that with the ghost cities. It is bizarre.

I like looking at secluded cabins and imagine living there with the woman and the dog.
No internet access, but netflix and cellular. Yea I know netflix needs internet, just saying I want to watch the occasional movie, but don't want internet access besides that.

Also like seeing large abandoned buildings. Thinking about the huge effort that went into constructing them, then they just go by the wayside.
An user told me where this was, but can't remember where.

That's why Soylent is the most popular food among aspergery tech people

I know a guy who just built a design studio cabin.

Instagram

/Dougjaeger

And

/jaegersloan

I don't even know what soylent is, Is it soy plus lentil based food?

Cause lentils are awesome, so are proper soy products. But get a factory to produce obscure things from both and it is scary.

You know we had ways to watch movies before netflix existed right? it was called VHS.

I might consider living there if it wasn't the mould.

>Chinese Ghost Cities
My girlfriend's hometown is (becoming) one of these. They can't sustain enough business to keep the local shopping malls open (she was so dissapointed to take me to her favorite malls on vacation only to find them nearly vacant), but they're building dozens of new apartment and office buildings. She says the new apartments are too expensive for anyone who currently lives there.

It's a suburb of an actual city, Qingtao (somewhat famous for it's beer).

man those heating bills would be brutal.

Don't play the fool. I don't want to watch Kazaam 2,000 fucking times.

Thanks, going to check that out.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soylent_(food)

The name comes from a movie. The ingredients change, as fanboys refine the taste and nutirition

Vice lol fucking kill yourself

It's time for the self deprecating Americans to die. You don't like it here, put a gun in your mouth and check the fuck out. I got no time for you subhuman picese of shit

>a movie
It deserves more respect that this.
Soylent Green is a dystopian-future science fiction classic.

...and people. It is people.

There's an underground missile silo in Kansas converted into a luxury condo complex for wealthy doomsday preppers.

Also, several billionaires have started buying up land in New Zealand for when American society collapses.

Why there? Because it's far away, but also because the land is self sustaining as a food source.

>Chinese Ghost Cities
are you me op? anything that has to do with chinese post-crisis megamanufacturing has my attention

If you'd like to read something about it I can recommend Nothing to envy by Barbara Demick and The real North Korea by Andrei Lankov. The first more personal the latter about politics. Amazing books.

>wealthy doomsday preppers
If I survive, I'm going to laugh my ass off when this place is full of extremely rich, locked-in zombies after the apocalypse.

If there's a supervolcano in Yellowstone, you'd have to go overseas to be somewhat safe.

Interesting.

Though I hate fucking any level of fake food. I mean, get protein- there are heaps of non-animal protein sources, do that.

It's not that hard. Much better than guzzling shakes like an animal and eating fake meat. Wtf.

youtube.com/watch?v=heAwirsQcYU

God, and after reading it, wtf.

So seriously there are people in this world who don't eat fucking meals and instead subsist on factory made formula shit - the same kind that babies eat?

What the fuckI am quite shocked.
Cheers on the link.

I'll go back to my bread baking and live like a normal person. This is scary.

The trademark of the automats it that they were giant cafeterias with giant kitchens designed for workday lunches

There were FIFTY in NYC and Philly alone

Can't really compare them to any fast food copy

>If there's a supervolcano in Yellowstone

I might be you, but the better question is: Are you me?

Spoiler:
We are due.

They Orange and darker is unsurvivable within the first few days and yellow will destroy plant life

>non-animal protein sources
So long as you're able to produce or acquire genuine food, yeah.

I could see it having a place where its science fiction story namesake does--a basic edible substance that could fill the gaps in our world economy that leaves some people without the means to produce or acquire food. The UN should be buying this stuff by the ton and distributing it in third-world shitholes, but instead they're marketing their product to eco-showoff hipsters and diet fanatics.

Humans are hilariously short-sighted.

>tfw Mexico is suddenly on the good side of the wall

I'd love to get some personal time with duterte and compile a dope music video of his Karaoke

>Imagine what that kind of thing could do to the electoral maps.

You really don't understand the purpose of electoral maps or how they are drawn, do you. You don't just get to bring in 100,000 people and crown yourself the mayor of everyone.

Just about anything regarding the DPRK. I'm fascinated by the place but could never investigate.

Totally agree on the sci fi part. It is totally unrealistic for a normal person.

I'm not a vegitarian and frankly I hate them. But a big part of my protein comes from beans and decent quality flour. Any fucking mongoloid can make their own bread, prepare their own beans and egg dishes, along with meat.

It's like the only alternatives are be a fat disgusting american or live off protein shakes. What the hell.

lol
>American Refugee Crisis of 2117

>be op
>go to ghost city to conduct "research"
>realize your just in an empty building

Bennett School for Girls, Millbrook, NY

i dont know, is you name user?

>an empty building
>in an empty city
>in an empty economic bubble
>a vast, vacuous economic bubble
>how long can this go on?

america has had automats in the past

Indefinitely.....the backing of currency is a Ponzi scheme.

It nearly all collapsed a few years ago, before the bank bailout. Notice how the banks paid everything back quickly.

>too stupid for that shit
Which somewhat illustrates his point, if you keep in mind he means that Americans are too stupid for this *now*, although as a present-day American he is also too stupid to know that there was a time before now. This is I think, one of many things that died out as the US has changed from a country of upward progress to utter stagnation.

got those post numbers switched.

im thinking the economy's gonna die a very slow and painful death with decades of stagnation and non-growth, with mini trumps running the governments in the ruins

I agree with you that currency is a long-con, but historically speaking every bubble eventually pops.

>1" of ash
>unsurvivable
>unless you have a respirator
>or even a fucking piece of cheese cloth

Also, kinda weird that falling ash totally ignore the jet stream and gulf stream to form cocentric circles around ground zero. I bet a totally competent scientist came up with this projections, and not some discredited journal using a proven poor software like Ash3d then reposting the results on fake news sites. Also, it's weird that the quoted volume in no way matches the prediction made.

Still, if it happens, shit's gonna be devastated.

orange means 10-30 of ash on the chart

ever played shadowrun hong kong?
pretty much a cyberpunk game about it. pretty neat.

That looks so fucking cool

"ghost citys"

yet all the lawns are mowed...

yeah i mean I assumee OP knows more the me but when i was reading about these it seemed like the 'ghost citys' were all filling up with people now

never heard whether or not you can 'be fucked' (bothered) to do something?

You know if this shit existed in the U.S., it would be overrun by freeloading niggers.

Do not doubt the communist machine. Some of the "ghost cities" are gaining population, but construction continues to vastly oupace growth. On top of that, China seems to be attempting to force demographic changes. The buildings are more or less as privately owned as they would be in any capitalist country, and the prices are steep. In the long term, it seems China wants to create numerous concrete jungles in which hundreds of thousands of rich (chinese) people will live and to dislocate all destitute into the rural wastelands (I say wastelands, but if this thread lives long enough I'll upload my scan of the rural layout in china--which is also an integral part of the communist machine, and looks like a fucking machine).

i think the whole point of the ghost cities is that as china grows people are moving from the rural into the cities and need a place to go?

i doubt there are many rich rurals looking to move to these things

as far as I know the apartments in these ghost cities are mostly sold, but only the richer could afford to buy them, who did so as an investment (because of the lack of other investment opportunities).

Layout of the chinese country side.

Long Mannors house the major land owners and have typical resources (electricity, internet/wifi, plumbing*) while "cluster villages" have limited resources (some electricity, some plumbing)--every other cluster has a Market, which has electricity until at least midnight. The supply shacks in the minor clusters may also be domiciles for farmhands, whereas the cluster village homes are for minor farm owners.

My girlfriend's uncle lives in a long mannor. We visited his place to see her cousin's wedding.

*Even the Long Mannors are stil farm houses. There was running water, cold at least, but the toilet is a "dirt toilet" (used to collect human waste for fertilizer).

I doubt Chinese authorities would be above using violence to evict squatters.

The "point" is that new construction, especially upscale housing, looks like economic growth. Until the bubble bursts, it doesn't really matter if anyone lives there or not.

They would not, but they officially do not. This is the kind of thing the chengguan handle. The actual police could not be paid enough to deal with such a problem, but each city hires some uneducatd thugs to do missions like beat the poor out of places they want rich people to visit.

I'd like to visit Hashima Island in Japan, its kind of like that, but a whole town.