Big 2016 movies that bombed or underperformed (in the US)

Big 2016 movies that bombed or underperformed (in the US).

>Zoolander 2
>Huntsman 2
>TMNT 2
>Alice 2
>X-Men Apocalypse
>Neighbors 2
>Now You See me 2
>Warcraft
>ID4 2
>Tarzan
>The BFG
>Ghostbusters

Will studios change how they do things? Pumping out flashy shit doesn't work anymore.

Reminder that ticket prices are up, while ticket sales are at an all time low.

>(in the US).
with china opening up like never before, WarCraft being one of the best examples, I am not sure what you're measuring?

Domestic gross profit will change how they think?

like what?

Zoolander 2 was a great sequel to the first one, to be honest.

What's ID4 2

Domestic still matters the most because foreign distributors keep most of the profits.

Maybe studios will see that spending $200mil on a movie no one really wanted is a bad idea.

not op but I'm guessing Independence Day 2

Where's Batman v Superman?

That did fine

I talked with a guy who was in the bookkeeping department of one of the big studios. Kept lamenting that each movie studio is connected to a major TV company, and the only purpose of movies to fill slots on tv; the sister tv company pays licensing fees to play them on cable; so it moves the money form A to B. I never asked him his optimism on the future of cable.

Apparently movies like Gladiator and Independence Day are some of the most profitable of all time by orders of magnitudes, because TNT keeps shoving them down our throats.

I thought Tarzan and Xmen did OK

Apologize

I liked now you see me, is the sequel that bad?

50% of the ticket's price stays at the theater, the other half is sent back to the US

t. frenchfag working in a theater

Financially successful, it's just an awful film

>Will studios change how they do things?

Unlikely. Studios themselves are more and more reluctant at financing their own productions.
They are running out of IP to milk as well. Disney got a big advantage on that front.
They did books, comics, tv series, toys and now are doing video games before taking on anime.
What comes after drying out all of these IPs? your guess is as good as mine.

I didn't even know some of these came out

>Sequels nobody wanted
>A video game movie
>Edgy reboot of a children's movie
>uncanny valley cg children's movie
Sounds about right. None of these things have ever worked well.

Repent

Yes

Disney is stealing money from other studios. They own the three biggest brands in movies; Marvel, Pixar and Star Wars. And they still have Dr. Strange and Rogue One to roll out. I bet by the end of the year they'll have like 7/10 highest grossing films.

>in us
like who cares

from that list

xmeni,warcraft,now me2, tarzan made great money

BvS didn't bombed, but definitely underperformed

>2
>2
>2
>2
>2

Someone needs to be executed for this

>Reminder that ticket prices are up, while ticket sales are at an all time low.

>everybody complains about there not being that many good movies or original ideas anymore
>nobody saw BFG
Feels bad, The Big Fucking Guy was genuinely good.

BFG isn't an original idea.

BvS. It definitely underperformed. We all agreed on this months ago.

(OP)
Most, if not all of these were ill judged and put forward by people that don't know what the hell they are doing.

>Zoolander 2
Sequel made way to late for a market that wasn't there.

>Huntsman 2
A prequel no one asked for, not starring the main lead of the first one.

>TMNT 2
A kids movie that was a better representation of the franchise than the first film that soured people on them.

>Alice 2
A sequel to the low point of Tim Burton and his darlings Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter's careers. A flick nobody asked for beyond a niche teenage/adolescent nerd girl audience of the obnoxious kind.

>X-Men Apocalypse
It's become clearer and clearer that Bryan Singer himself is as much a liability to the franchise as he was a herald of the age of capeshit when he made the first two. I don't know which they should fire more to save face on future films, him, the hack screenwriter or Jennifer "easy paycheck" Lawrence.

>Neighbors 2
One of the more cynical films of the year. Audiences ate shit the first time, lets change around the script a bit with minimal effort and see if they come in for seconds.

>Now You See me 2
Guilty pleasure. Not good, but more entertaining than the first one.

>Warcraft
It's no Lord of the Rings, but it ain't The Hobbit either. It's an average film, but of the perfectly watchable kind.

>ID4 2
Should have been X-Com: The Movie. Is somehow even more retarded than the original and reeks of Scientology.

>Tarzan
When will they stop trying to bring Tarzan back to the modern age? It's not something that needs to survive the 20th century.

>The BFG
Hook 2: Electric Boogaloo. Steven Spielberg at his most Michael Jackson-ish. Also, an unfortunate abbreviation.

>Ghostbusters
A testament to what is wrong with Sony, the film industry, the clickbait industry and general internet "culture".

Where Civil War?

It was projected to at least make more than ironman 3 ($1.3 billion)
But it only made $1.1billion.

Why did it underperform? It had SPIDERMAN, the most popular hero in the world

Will Ferrell screaming "whore's pasta" was pretty funny.

Body suit was pretty good too.

It's as comfy as the first.

I'll never understand why BFG was a thing. No one asked for it. Everyone who grew up reading Rohl Dahl isn't going to spend $30 to see that in theaters. It's attractive enough for most kids who wouldn't even know what it is anyways.

It beat the spread.

It's still playing in theaters so we don't have the final number yet.

Civil blunder

Because movie ticket sales in general are down, and yet the movie still managed to bring in A BILLION dollars.

This

>film and music died before video games

how could this happen?

GOOD THING WARCRAFT FUCKING KICKED ASS IN THE ACTUAL IMPORTANT COUNTRIES AND IT'S GUARANTEED A SEQUEL. SO FUCK YOU.

Nice excuse, but no. Why did star wars make $2billion, but the most popular superhero + the avengers couldn't even reach half? It's a fucking embarrassment. And I'm a marvel fan.

Star Wars was the second coming of one of if not the biggest franchises in cinema history after being dead for over a decade.

The hype levels were off the charts for a movie that could potentially fix everyone's favorite broken franchise.

Where as superhero movies are beginning fatigue audiences and become repetitive because we're getting at least 4 a year these days.

Despite the competitive market, the movie STILL grossed a billion with minimal effort.

Quips fedora

Alice 2 was released? Must watch it for wasikowska.

How is film and music any more dead than the rotting, raped and festering corpse of vidya?

This is pretty much correct and that all of these are sequels or reboots doesn't come as a surprise.

As to what the studios will learn from it, I don't think they will change much. If you don't royally fuck up at either marketing or giving at least a rats ass about it, most films are still rather safe in returning a profit.

>SPIDERMAN, the most popular hero in the world
That's not Batman

>cost 250m
>box office gross 1.1b
>still not enough

Even if it was projected it still hit the 1b mark, what are you expecting with cinema tickets costing £10 each now.

I think BFG and Now You See Me 2 was demolished by Dory, they would've had a chance if they were not released alongside it.