To americans : are people with a french family name being mocked or anything in the USA ?

To americans : are people with a french family name being mocked or anything in the USA ?

Other urls found in this thread:

vocaroo.com/i/s02wAtTDDNMO
clyp.it/cmaakfil
vocaroo.com/i/s0HdwFp4saDt
vocaroo.com/i/s12RA5uIMZdn
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

just the brownies afaik

No

No but they may have a hard time pronouncing it.

I had this happen a few times. Mainly with people not from the area though

Some yank pronounce on vocaroo Des Moines and Bâton Rouge please

While Colbert sometimes comedically claims his surname is French, he is of 15/16ths Irish ancestry (one of his paternal great-great-grandmothers was of German and English descent).[17][18] Many of his ancestors emigrated from Ireland to North America in the 19th century before and during the Great Famine.[11][19]

Originally, his surname was pronounced /ˈkoʊlbərt/ (KOHL-bərt) in English; Stephen Colbert's father, James, wanted to pronounce the name /koʊlˈbɛər/ (kohl-BAIR), but maintained the /ˈkoʊlbərt/ pronunciation out of respect for his own father. He offered his children the option to pronounce the name whichever way they preferred.[9] Stephen started using /koʊlˈbɛər/ later in life when he transferred to Northwestern University, taking advantage of the opportunity to reinvent himself in a new place where no one knew him.[2] Stephen's elder brother, Edward, an intellectual property attorney, retained /ˈkoʊlbərt/; this was shown in a February 12, 2009, appearance on The Colbert Report, when his youngest brother asked him, "/ˈkoʊlbərt/ or /koʊlˈbɛər/?" Ed responded "/ˈkoʊlbərt/", to which Stephen jokingly replied, "See you in Hell".[20]

MUH FRUNCH HERITUGE

everyone mocks french people.

in most languages "french" is unironically synonym with "faggot"

no

Why

He wants to know how we pronounce it.
I pronounce it De-Moin
t.Minnesota

Isn't that how everyone says it

Duh-Moin
Bat-on Roojh

Depends on your state I guess.
I've heard people pronounce it Dess Moin.

for laughs

kek.. where were these people from

It's Deh Mwan

I like our way better

vocaroo this shit

vocaroo.com/i/s02wAtTDDNMO

That's pretty much the same way that I pronounce it.

What state are you from then?

Minnesota.
I posted earlier.

this is how we pronounce it over here too

clyp.it/cmaakfil

Not in America.

French family name? No.

Actual french person, a little bit. Not too much

vocaroo.com/i/s0HdwFp4saDt

Is it true that when you pronounce something french with a proper accent in 'murica you will pass for a pretentious ?

Dubois is beautiful and classy murrican name

you sound so serious lol

>Minnesotan
>pronouncing the S on Moines

Do you also pronounce the S on Illinois?

No, but if you pronounce the name of an American city like that then people will think youre a goof ball. These cities are American, so theres no reason that they should have to be pronounced the same way as in France.

vocaroo.com/i/s12RA5uIMZdn

While Des Moines' name has french origins, to claim that Des Moines, Iowa is "something French" is wrong. It's something American. That place belongs to the people who live there, that includes the pronunciation.

I live in New Orleans and literally everyone has a """""french""""" name (cajun hillbilly trash).

Yeah i know. I was thinking more of french stuff like croissant or other things

>like croissant
Well, our pronunciations are so different. Some of the time
(not all) when a random American really tries to replicate the french way of saying it they do so in a pretentious effort. It can kind of be a passive-agressive way to try and correct people or show off, and not some sort of appreciation for the thing itself.

Like they want to say it right after you say it so you can observe how "correct" their pronunciation of it is and how different it was from yours.

But that's not just french, it's anything. Anything that changes when brought into American English you can use a mini grandstand for how amazing you are to use the pronunciation from the place of origin.

>Oh what, karaoke (ker-ē-ˈō-kē)?
>I believe you mean カラオケ.

But if someone had a full on french accent, as in from France, I don't think anyone will care.

Also, part of this has to do with this understanding (or misunderstanding) of American monolingualism.

A lot of your young, liberal people view our monolingual culture as a bad thing, but rather than maybe fully learning another language they might just learn some pronunciation of foreign words we use and then use that as a way to legitimize their sense of superiority.

>But if someone had a full on french accent, as in from France, I don't think anyone will care.

oh, good.