Ban on smoking in movies 'infringes free speech', says MPAA

>theguardian.com/film/2016/jul/19/ban-on-smoking-in-movies-infringes-free-speech-says-mpaa?CMP=twt_a-film_b-gdnfilm

Do people even smoke anymore? I mostly just see it in period pieces these days.

I don't understand the cultural obsession with stopping people from smoking, or removing it from films/shows/advertising. There are plenty of unhealthy habits, but you don't see shit like this about banning cake or french fries

Bargaining with TV execs sounds hilarious.

Quite a few people do, yeah. It's just a lot of people are 'only at parties/ when I'm drunk/ when I'm with friends' smokers. Social smokers, not chain smokers. A shitload of women smoke here, I think it's something like 1 in 4.

t. chain smoker

Because it affects the health of non-smokers IRL and most of the time it smells like shit. Banning it in movies is stupid though, are we going to return to the Hays Code now?

I totally get why they want to ban smoking, but at the same time, I wish it was more allowed on scene. I don't know what it is, but smoking just adds something special to the scene for me.

The pressure to smoke isn't even there for kids these days, they'd be more pressured into weed and that's actually a good thing by comparison. Smokers are generally stupid people and they'd smoke regardless of how many people do it on TV.

A packet of fags can kill you. A cake once in a while won't.

one pack of cigarettes can kill you? source?

I smoke a tobacco pipe and the occasional cigar because I enjoy the taste of tobacco, and it's about once or twice a week. People don't realize that there are people who simply enjoy the taste and aren't just chain-smoking addicts, although they are the majority

Are you saying people who smoke weed are not stupid?

>MPAA defends smoking in movies
>but still has to slap a R rating for benign shit like tits and running blood

College fag here, I don't, but most of us do.

Next thing you know every movie will have racial quota to fill

>I smoke a tobacco pipe
how old are you? I hope youre mega wealthy and in your 50s otherwise you cannot pull this look off. Not trying to insult friendo.

Really makes you think

>but smoking just adds something special to the scene for me.
Realism

>Land of the free

I thought the mpaa's unwritten rule was if the antagonist smokes its pg13. If the protagonist smokes its R

I'm not him, but typically a pipe is enjoyed at home when you want to relax with a drink. Not something you carry around 24/7 like a pack of smokes. I can't speak for him though.

>smokers are viewed in my country as more disgusting than the food addicted land whales causing 1000x more damage to everything in every way

shit is all out of whack

Fuck smokers

Are you comparing an R-rating to a ban?

>typically a pipe is enjoyed at home when you want to relax with a drink
ah right. yeah that sounds alright actually

this

every day I see some lardass with their giant gunt and 15 inch calves walking (or rolling) around

fucking disgusting, all fat people need to be thrown into a giant blender and fed to the Chinese.

>that guy was about to light up a cigarette! So I gutted him from bow to stern, hung him from his dick in his own intestines and sent photos to his mom! That'll learn em.

Smoking is absolutely disgusting and everyone who does it needs a good slap in the face, but the fact is that there are people in the world who smoke and if movies and TV shows want to accurately depict real life, they should be allowed to have characters who smoke if they want to. Even characters who are shown to be cool and in a positive light should be able to smoke of the creators feel they should because smoking does indeed make people look more cool and sophisticated even though nobody should smoke.

Smokers know the risks of smoking anyway and if they want to kill themselves then they should be allowed to.

Only at partys or with my friends. I don't think I've ever smoked alone.

>censorship organization defending free speech
I wonder who's behind this

could you imagine Rust not smoking?

would be beta af

I don't see a ton smoking real cigarettes anymore but I've seen a huge increase in people vaping.

Lynch portrayed it accurately in Mulholland Drive itself
Well not TV execs exactly but suits

>watching that Kennedy tv series...or maybe it was Agent of Carter
>set into the 50-60s
>typical office clouded by the smoke of cigarettes
>but nobody is smoking
>ever
Eh.

>more than 3 billion people on earth smoke
>Who even smokes anymore?

Ironically nicotine curbs appetite

his character's aesthetics rings funny to me, they made mc Cougheney look so young then proceeded to destroy him, is like someone who happens to look good and maintain his body for function rather than looks and then he completely stops caring.

>he actually believes in second hand smoke
i don't even smoke

smoking is bad for ur health but man im so vain i'd rather give 20 years of my life for them
not that i want to live more then 50-60 y/o anyways

>smokers are generally stupid people
I know plenty of people who smoke and are at least average intelligence, maybe you just know too many stupid people?

>A pack of cigarettes will kill you

Liberals are this stupid.

Most of the greatest minds of the world were/are smokers.

I remember, when I was in high school, reading a report (because I used it for the exam thesis) about pollution in my capitol, there was so much tobacco that going through the city for a day was the equivalent of smoking.

That smoke is not helium, it stays here.

Having used to have smoked, and dated girls that did, I can tell you it's only noticeable if you smoke heavily, and don't clean up. After a cigarette I'd typically pop a breath mint, and as long as you don't smoke indoors/in an enclosed place, the smell won't linger.

I'm actually allergic to it, even if you don't believe in second hand smoke (it's real though) it affects to some people due allergies, asthma, etc

Cake and french fries satisfy an essential need for the body, even if they do so in a bad way, people have to eat something regardless.

Cigarettes are useless.

>all these pussies non smokers ITT

Smoking is awesome, and for every cigarette you don't smoke I'm gonna smoke three to make up for your pussy ass faggotry, killing even more people with second hand smoke and there is literally nothing you can do about it.

they're right it's stupid as fuck
remember smoke free constantine? good move right there

The tobacco industry is one of the most evil and sociopathic out there. If the biggest tobacco companies were owned by Jews instead of white Christians, you'd see them in Sup Forumstard propaganda infographs.

the thing about women smoking, y'see

sure it can be sexy, but the woman has to be sexy, she has to be capable of smoking sexily

there's a certain self-possessed aggression to sexy smoking

90% of women you see are not smokily sexy, I see them and I think "You are not smoking sexily, you are not appearing as a sly seductress, you just look like trash"

That's just my feelings on the matter

>most evil and sociopathic out there
Compared to what?

>Father was a chain smoker for his entire life
>Smoked inside
>16 years of my life in a smoke cloud
>No issues derived from smoking

I liked Princess Bride, but Rob Reiner is an idiot, and so are you.

I used to hate those faggots who smoked when they drank but now I smoke when I drink. That's it, though. Usually someone buys a pack, we all share, then the pack gets thrown away or into the back of someone's car where everyone forgets about it. I don't know anyone with an actual smoking habit and don't really understand how you become addicted to it. It's really gross in the mornings in your hair or beard.

>My unique personal experience determines how things work
When I was 5 a bus rode over be because the driver was drunk, I didn't die, neither had physical or mental consequences beyond a broken leg, I guess nobody dies on traffic accidents coz I didn't, right?

They sell a product that has absolutely no beneficial effects, even for sustenance, and they fill it with lethal additives for the sole purpose of creating physical addiction. If Jews owned these companies, you'd see them being used as "evidence" that Jews are bad people, but alas they are owned almost exclusively by white non-Jewish and Japanese, so you never see this discussed on Sup Forums.

>most

Would imply in comparison to all other industries, by the nature of the word 'most' in this context

>he doesn't enjoy a snus with his coffee or beer

come on boys are you even trying to enjoy your lives?

I think he is talking about in the first world

It was one of the first sjw wins in hollywood

>create product that everyone knows is bad for you
>is also known that it calms the nerves and relaxes you
>aside from providing the product do nothing directly to customers
>meanwhile fossil fuel and energy companies destroy the environment because they weren't willing to pay a few thousand extra dollars to ensure their parts were up to speed
>arms manufacturers not only create the tools used in warfare around the world but proliferate it through lobbying and "sales" for destabilized regions
>huge banking and various other firms cripple world economies whenever they fuck up, directly affecting hundreds of millions of people around the world and causing further socio-economical disasters that are spawned by poverty

Yeah gee those big tobacco companies man

Lots and lots of people smoke in the first world, take a look in Facebook for example, you see on almost every account at least picture of the guy/girl with a cigarrete (and I don't meed weed)

>Jews owned these companies, you'd see them being used as "evidence" that Jews are bad people

Rich Southern Republicans own these companies and I think they are bad people

If you eat a cake or french fries in front of me nothing happens to me

I like to shoot at kneecaps, is something that I find relaxing and calms my nevers, but somehow I can't do it because "it harms others", srly, what the fuck?

Untalented TV execs have to justify their existence somehow.

Most of them have no talent (have no taste, can't identify projects that would get ratings, can't understand scripts on either artistic or financial level, etc., etc.).

hey rob just a heads up, that's a bad argument so don't use it in public

Are you actually a moron? G forces and tobacco are not similar in the slighest. Analogies have the prerequisite of comparing two SIMILAR instances to explain and clarify Y as compared to X.

Fucking moron.

Mostly teenage hipsters but yes, plenty still do

>theguardian comments section
it get my blood boiling every single time
genociding these ""people"" should be legal

>When I was 5 a bus rode over be because the driver was drunk, I didn't die, neither had physical or mental consequences beyond a broken leg, I guess nobody dies on traffic accidents coz I didn't, right?

Except nobody claims that 1,000,000 accident-free rides adds up to 1 accident, idiot.

you probably dont party a lot. any form of moderate/heavy drinking = smoking, because when you get wasted you need a little neurostimulant and outside air to perk you up and stop you from sleeping and puking

You claim that, because nothing happened to you, 2nd hand smoke is harmless, retard. And I'm not even the other guy.

does anyone have any data on the dangers of second hand smoking? i hear about how bad it is a lot so i'm curious.

I know loads of people who smoke like fucking chimneys when they drink, but never touch the stuff otherwise

sounds like a question for google and wikipedia

>FDA doesn't ban junk food
>Makes companies put nutritional labels on their packages
You've got shit logic bud

It's harmless, pharmaceutics want you to believe it can harm you so you buy their stuff for asthma (another myth) allergies, etc. Is literally as harmless and breathing air.

nothing happens to you if you watch smoking on tv either

The post of a man so deeply rooted in his basement that he hasn't seen the outside world in decades.

>Is literally as harmless and breathing air.

You talk about pharmaceutics having an agenda behind it yet you say crap like this

>asthma (another myth)

Buuuurrrdeennnnnn of prooooffff

Jesus, Sup Forums tards are so stupid that they really look like satire. Go back to your containment board.

>is also known that it calms the nerves and relaxes you
Smoker's meme, nicotine is the cause and solution to their shakes.

It normalizes a bad habit that affects me and introduces young generations to it, so yes, something happens.

Dont forget you're on a board with autistic basement dwellers. Only cool people smoke.

Are you sure you aren't talking about McDonalds there?

junk food is also a bad habit

who said anything about shakes? smoking is relaxing, everyone knows this

even if smoking is more deadly than the guillotine we all agree that it's stupid to ban it from television and film, right?

But you eating junk food does nothing on me. I don't defend junk food, but is below cigarretes on my list.

McDonald's provides the body with the fats and proteins it needs to survive. It doesn't have literal poisons in it. It doesn't create a physical addiction. You're a fucking idiot.

Yes.

THE FIRST AMENDMENT DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY

the fact that you're getting your fix is what relaxes you, not the stimulant itself, by definition

I'ts like I'm really talking to a faggot, provides you with shit you need? Give me a fucking break, you don't ever fucking need junk food, don't fucking lie to yourself fatty, that shit is as dangerous and addicting as the smoke you so easily get triggered by.

im just using the same logic and you havent yet convinced me that the two situations are different

It objectively contains fat and protein which the body needs to survive. You're an uneducated Sup Forums tard and you're talking to someone who regularly eats McDonald's while maintaining 10% body fat. Kill yourself.