Question: Is it worth studying something you don't care about at all (or even hate)...

Question: Is it worth studying something you don't care about at all (or even hate), just because it will likely get you a job in the future, and therefore a more or less comfortable life?

Yes. I was in the "study what you love" cohort and ended up having to teach myself dev skills in order to make up the lost ground. Suck it out for 3-4 years and then ride the wave.

Yeah, that's what I did. I want to be a pilot, but I got a bachelor's in Business Administration (Marketing).

Barely gave a fuck about it, didn't go to class, still got good marks, didn't actually learn shit, but yeah i have two good offers from reputable companies.

I recently bought a bike (which has been one of my dreams) thanks to the income.

I'm fine with working a job I hate as long as it pays me well, and can fuel my actual dreams.

Kinda like eating your vegetables to get dessert.

tl;dr: yeah it is, as long as you get $$$

If you tried it for any serious amount of time and truly hate it, then don't or you'll be miserable.

But if it's just something you 'don't care about but gets you a job' then welcome to adult RL and get to it.

Yes OP.
When you're young you're lost in a cloud of theoretical thoughts and rational dilemmas and you see all your friends smoking weed and doing nothing and think "that's easy I want to do that too" so you find a way to have some money and you buy a car and a few crappy presents to make you feel like you're in control.

But then you hit your 30s and see other people who made it. And realise that while their friends were partying and taking a few class every semester only to drop after 5 years of doing nothing they were working their asses off.

It's going to be worth it, trust me.

Keep it up.

Yeah I actually think that you guys are right, and that's also the reason why I'm studying something I don't like, but nowadays it's getting harder and harder to do that. Even though I know that it's rational to think about one's future, but I feel like I'm getting more and more depressed over it.

Plus, the thing is that once I pass the exams, I forget everything. What happens If I'm gonna have to get a job in this field? Fake it till you make it doesn't seem to be working IRL, but that's pretty much what I've been doing..

My take: find some compromise.

If you really hate it (and think you wont turn up to class etc.) then it's a waste of time and money.

Then again, if your passion is fine art or something, it's worth keeping in mind that you are much less likely to find a steady income to support a family and have later choices.

What about picking the profession that you find least bad? Hate maths? Do law. Hate writing? Do engineering, computer science, maths, physics etc. Hate them both and love art? I dunno, architecture or something.

All that said, if you are really passionate about something useless, and are absolutely sure you'll give it 100%, then maybe it's worth going for. Just don't be the guy who does art and just gets high all the time and never paints anything. That'd be way stupid.

Unless you're primarily interested in earning money, no. You'll make yourself miserable in the longterm. On the other hand, even studying something you like won't be enough if you later want to do something you love, it's gonna take a lot of extra work and effort besides just studying

I'll graduate soon, ( if I don't fuck things up) so yeah, I've been doing it for years, and I've come to hate it very much.. but it seems like I dug myself a nice trap there. Study something you dont like-->no other skills-->so have to make a living out of that.

Thanks man. Yeah, I have my dreams, but I also know that they are not very likely to happen (in the near future at least) so I try to stay on earth and be as rational about my future as I can.

I really do hate it after 4 years of studying it. At first, I wasn't passionate about anything, but then after 2 years, I somehow got more and more interested in art. Now given my skills, and the job market, I instantly tried to get rid of these "follow your dreams no matter what" thoughts, but I found that they just came back more and more, which makes it very hard to stay focused on my actual studies.

Well if you're already four years in then there's no question just buck up and finish it. There's no reason you can't start looking for something you like in the future instead

To me it really is only about earning money though.. I don't really enjoy it, but I also don't wanna bitch about it. It's life, gotta suck it up. But lately it's getting harder to convince myself that in a rational sense, I'm doing the right thing.

No.
I did that up to the point where only antidepressants could get me out of my bed. Now I'm studying to become a nurse, and I feel alive for the first time in years. No promise of a better salary can ever take me back to a field in which I have absolutely no passion at all.

There are always studies that you'll find interesting. If none, then still go for a study that you don't like, just like some others explained. It is about thinking in the long run.
For example, right now following a master in data science. Some courses I find shit, others I like. Did I really wanted to do that when I was young (>12 years ago)? No. I wanted to become a chef. However, becoming a good chef requires knowledge, skills, and maybe some talent. Still like cooking and still doing it almost everyday. TL;DR As long as you have a hobby you like next to your study, you can learn/work at something you don't really care about.

Yeah it'd be stupid to quit now, that's for sure, but I've been told that getting a Bsc should not be the end of studying, and I was encouraged to try and also get a master's degree. That's what got me thinking about this whole "is it worth it" situation.

Hell no, you can get a job you don't like without wasting money on study.

Well I'm completely the opposite I was always convinced I should do something that at the very least pays my bills but I got more miserable as time went on. So I dropped all the bullshit and started doing something I love instead. I am aware my lifestyle is the exception to the rule though. I basically dropped nearly all my social life because I dumped all my time in my passion

>I did that up to the point where only antidepressants could get me out of my bed

That's my biggest fear man.. I don't wanna ruin myself, and I'm not nearly the point where you were, but I do have to talk myself getting out of bed every morning. And I seriously don't wanna sound like a spoiled cunt or anything, I know that sometimes you just have to man up, and face life head on, but lately it became really difficult. Even know, I should be studying, but I just can't bring myself to it.

I studied accounting
It may not be thrilling or even my end all be all.
It does however pay 38k
I use this to fuel my other ventures
I leave the country once a year
Im in a a cover band playing bass
Be rational, you fucking clod

Yeah, I actually saw an interview with some engineer on TV and he kept talking about the difficulites of his job, but he ended it with " but this is what I would be doing if I wasn't paid for it, I enjoy it"

I definitely don't have that now, but I think if I get enough money out of my future job, to spend on something I enjoy, I can see that working, but even getting my degree feels like a hopeless task now..

You sound very much like me a few years back. Did my Bsc, went for the master's and ended up disliking what I did more and more every day, until I loathed myself for not being bold enough to cut the crap that was clearly making me miserable. I guess some people just get over it and some don't mind doing stuff that is dull, and it's okay, but in a world where you can choose what to become, I see no reason to get stuck in something that gives you absolutely no satisfaction at all.

t.

no way man I'm studying accounting too. My problem with it, aside from not liking it, is that I only remember the things for the exam, after that I'm like "finally it's over", which is fucking stupid, since that'll be my job in the future. I forgot a lot of shit I studied so far, so that makes me pretty anxious, knowing that I'm gonna have to find a job soon with this level of skill..

Only if the job you're likely to get is one that you wouldn't hate.

Most of your learning will be on job, that's why employers always look for people with experience.

That is literally accounting
Depending on your job, you need to know only a handful of what youre taught
Just get it done

>I really do hate it after 4 years of studying it. At first, I wasn't passionate about anything, but then after 2 years, I somehow got more and more interested in art. Now given my skills, and the job market, I instantly tried to get rid of these "follow your dreams no matter what" thoughts, but I found that they just came back more and more, which makes it very hard to stay focused on my actual studies.

Do whatever art it is you're interested in as a hobby in your spare time. Arts qualifications don't really mean anything. Stick with the study as a backup in case the thing you enjoy but probably isn't viable doesn't work out.

I wanted to study automotive engineering, but due to fucked up HS years I wasn't able to get in. Now I'm doing logistics, it's pretty okay, it's kind of interesting, and I think that finding a job in the industry will be pretty easy. I would like to land a job in an automotive company at least.

I want to buy a 911 one day, so as long as it pays well, I don't care.

I think you are not alone, younger people want money, and the older people get, the more they realize it's not all about money.

Yeah.. the worst thing is that I started liking something else in the middle of my studies.. I couldn't quit it, nor do I have the time to study the new thing seriously, because I have to focus on getting my degree in the field I already started.. feels like a fucking trap

pre much the exact same thing, can't justify leaving my job to become a pilot. early pilot money is shit

Sure, as long as the job you end up in isn't something you will hate. Don't get stuck in a career you despise. You don't have to have a dream career necessarily, but if you dread what you do everyday, it will eat you in the long run.

That's actually what I've been doing, and yeah, art education (for a small exception) is bullshit. Most places won't teach you a thing, lot of the people who study art in universities are those idiot "artsy fartsy" people who think that they are artists, because they smeared all over the canvas with random things.

That's good to hear man. I think what an user said earlier about how some people don't care about doing something they don't like, as long as they can pay the bills with that fits right here.
Apparently though, I'm not that kind of person lol.

I'm already experiencing some of those feelings unfortunately, but I try to look at it as something temporary. Without a doubt though, there are days when I just can't talk myself into sticking with it longer and other times it's just like meh, gotta do it and that's it.