Which are some of the darkest jazz albums you know?

which are some of the darkest jazz albums you know?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KWhiI1QVqDk
youtube.com/watch?v=COaF6HHKYsA
youtube.com/watch?v=k_pLL278zoM
youtube.com/watch?v=DXLrrp49GqE
youtube.com/watch?v=8GocjLFIuac
youtube.com/watch?v=Ae0nwSv6cTU
youtube.com/watch?v=m7Sh5a4mMho&list=PL0S4ZTm1x1ylt08W1OEJEBK-X6frjpkxj
youtube.com/watch?v=7F_vumsaYv8
youtube.com/watch?v=UbkqE4fpvdI
youtube.com/watch?v=gv_bkS5VVaA
youtube.com/watch?v=Td2iU1g1kqA
youtube.com/watch?v=hJe_ZlFC084&index=4&list=PLbJ8Ks-2V5Rn1R_P5BZ1OaS2yhx-b1ZmX
youtube.com/watch?v=DK_fvDfSHtk&list=PL_0HJKQ7hojsAydY6p8x9q1UwHf5ergJo
youtube.com/watch?v=tgrQhBTDfhk
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Bump

well fuck all of you

are you interested in doom jazz? two artists in particular that come to mind are bohren and der club of gore and the kilimanjaro darkjazz ensemble. i'd check out their albums "sunset mission" and "here be dragons".

closer to the free jazz spectrum (and still kind of dark) is this group, their album is fantastic- unfortunately you can only listen to it on vinyl. haven't seen any rips of it online: youtube.com/watch?v=KWhiI1QVqDk

here, just throwing out another suggestion just because: youtube.com/watch?v=COaF6HHKYsA

Bitches Brew obviously

thanks for your replies, i will listen to them all
great album

>are you interested in doom jazz? two artists in particular that come to mind are bohren and der club of gore and the kilimanjaro darkjazz ensemble. i'd check out their albums "sunset mission" and "here be dragons".
not jazz also shitty

Try Bill Evans - You Must Believe In Spring. It's straight ahead but it's recorded around the time his brother killed himself.

>shitty

It's not good jazz in any sense.

Machine gun by Peter brotzmann, maybe?

These are the actually interesting threads in Sup Forums

thanks, i will listen to it too, seems interesting
love that album, but it's more of violent than dark i think

John Zorn's Naked City, I guess? It's got some great moments. It's pretty out there, though- grindcore/blues/country influences. Boredoms' Yamantaka Eye is in Zorn's group in this record.

Astor Piazolla, nuevo tango/latin jazz. Found it a few years back, been in love with it since: youtube.com/watch?v=k_pLL278zoM

great album, guts of a virgin is my favorite from zorn and his group painkiller

literally

oh yeah i love tango too, you will love this, is like the bach and schoenberg of tango for me

Here's some amazing oud-driven ethno jazz- Rabih Abou Khalil is the man's name. youtube.com/watch?v=DXLrrp49GqE

His album "Bukra" is exceptional, too- I need to check out the rest of his work.

holy shit, this is fantastic. i'm hooked. thanks!!

My man

:) , you can check sonico too, it's the first tango recording to use a bandoneon with distortion
thanks for the recs

OP, listen to Mal Waldron, too. A good bit of his mature output is dark and unnerving in a kind of shamanistic, and I hesitate to say this, but primitive way. I suggest What It Is, and Up Popped the Devil.
youtube.com/watch?v=8GocjLFIuac

>Reddit spacing

yeah, great album too, a touch of the blues and the quest are a worth listen too

I haven't heard A Touch of the Blues. Thanks.

did you just make that up?

No, where have you been for the last 6 months?

check this

Okay album.

i really like it, it sounds like a bitches brew on steroids

I think the live material with Miles' band at that same time is much better. Have you heard the Bootleg series albums?

i've been listening davis' second quintet a lot lately, but i haven't heard that, i will look for it, thanks

No problem. What are some jazz albums that sound like this picture?

try this one OP. very out but i would definitely call it dark and the line up is monsterous. youtube.com/watch?v=m7Sh5a4mMho&list=PL0S4ZTm1x1ylt08W1OEJEBK-X6frjpkxj

probably this
i've always loved that short tune, i wish it was longer btw

Also I believe that's Stanley Cowell's recorded debut. Never this avant again.

thats funny, i was thinking of posting Shepp's "Mama, too Tight". is the marion brown record any good or does it just sound like qt2d lesbian woman?

and agreed, the first track is beautiful.

that could be a correct answer too kek, i think it's a good album but not as good as Why Not

nice, ill check it out. ive been feeling the need to check out more shepp and ilk, but ive been on a big threadgill kick recently.

from archie shepp you can check these albums:
-Fire Music
-Poem for Malcolm
-Blase (this is gr8)
-Archie Shepp and the Full Moon Ensemble
-Attica Blues

thanks man! ill get started after this orneete bootleg from 71 im istening to.

Don't die thread! You've started a hunger and it isn't satisfied.
What makes you say that?

This is super excellent. What other obscure free jazz recordings do you know of.

oh man...i dont mean to sound like i have an ego but thats kind of a loaded question.

threads like this are the only reason i return

well since this thread seems to be slowing down ill just throw this out there. im a professional musician, a jazz student working on a degree at a very good jazz school, am very knowledgeable about free jazz, straight ahead jazz with some exceptions, and am working on my composition chops. I also study with some pretty well known guys. feel free to ask any questions or request reccs but ill ask you to tell me about what you like first, or if you wanna bullshit about pretty much any topic related to jazz.

What's your instrument and are you performance or composition oriented?
Also, what are Jazz academia's thoughts on Colin Stetson and Kamasi Washington?

Im a bass player, mostly acoustic bass but i get hired for electric an okay amount (occasionally to my dismay). I am mostly performance oriented and i study performance in school but ive recently started composing quite a bit and liked the product so ive begun studying composers i like in my spare time, namely Messiaen (though i cant play any of his music). i dont know who colin stetson is. I really dont like kamasi at all. most serious jazz fans, especially the old heads and professors i know cant stand him either and listening wise im usually more aligned with my professors then the students. most students dont like him either with the exception of a group of students that tend to like pop more then jazz most of the time anyway but majored in jazz for some reason. i have to say some of the guys that like kamasi can play too, but i dont like playing with them usually.

I'm not into that much jazz but I like extreme jazz fusion like John Zorn, Brain Tentacles, The Cowboy Bebop OST and Midori. Normally I listen to noise rock, punk, metal, folk and synthpop. I also like Ryo Ikeji, what would you recommend?

>I'm not into that much jazz but I like extreme jazz fusion like John Zorn, Brain Tentacles, The Cowboy Bebop OST and Midori.

youtube.com/watch?v=7F_vumsaYv8

I've actually heard of this one but haven't listened to it yet. Grabbing it. Thanks.

What's it like being a professional jazz musician these days? What kind of gigs do you tend to get? How do you get them?

Not even considering a musician's life but just curious. I'm really far away from anywhere there are consistent gigs for pro musicians and just curious what the life is like.

The whole fucking point was to get recommendations. I know those don't count as 'real' jazz. Be as pretentious as you want, I never claimed to know anything about jazz.

Listen to Miles Davis - Bitches Brew and tell us if you like that.

I've already listened to it and I liked it.

How about headhunters?
youtube.com/watch?v=UbkqE4fpvdI

Weather report?

Birds of fire?
youtube.com/watch?v=gv_bkS5VVaA

Something more obscure, Agora - Agora 2
youtube.com/watch?v=Td2iU1g1kqA

Aight, I asked about Kamasi since I've seen a lot of hate thrown his way by people that claimed to be "serious" jazz listeners and I thought I'd see if academia felt the same way or if it was just a meme. I don't mind it but my jazz listening is limited so that's probably why.

I haven't heard these yet. I'll give them a listen.

which of these do you like the most?

youtube.com/watch?v=hJe_ZlFC084&index=4&list=PLbJ8Ks-2V5Rn1R_P5BZ1OaS2yhx-b1ZmX
youtube.com/watch?v=DK_fvDfSHtk&list=PL_0HJKQ7hojsAydY6p8x9q1UwHf5ergJo
youtube.com/watch?v=tgrQhBTDfhk

>Moja
holy shit this is dope you have some great recs user

I love charles gayle and that might be his best in my opinion. if you want more free records most people wouldnt know i can reccomend plenty, thats kind of my wheel house. as for life as a jazz musician, ill start with saying that i do not make a living at it currently cause im a student and im looking primarily at becoming a professor, but so far i love it every day, im always happy to get in the morning and play, and i can see how it might work out well for me. about gigs, ive played alot, probably getting near 1000 in the last 5 or 6 years, everything from leading a quintet in a jazz club in a major city to playing for cabaret drag shows, musicals, teaching, ive made money doing music for commercials. i have comfortable position as being sort of the avant garde guy and being good at it by most peoples standards so these days sometimes ill get the calls when they want something alittle more out there which im happy about. how i get them is just from meeting people and for have a reputation for being on top of my shit.

diiiiiigggggits. and honestly man that mightve been me talking bad on kamasi in other threads. and what it really comes down to is that hes kinda been designed to be a jazz guy for the non jazz fans. you see a lot of people who love the guy but their record collection only has the epic and a love supreme in the jazz section. i dont mean to be a dick but im sorry man, the kamasi stuff just drives me nuts and i hate that he always ends up being a part of every jazz thread.

I guess I should have dived deeper into these guys' discographies, I kinda assumed they didn't make stuff like this because the more popular albums that I checked out from them were more mellow.

the guys that everyone always says are the best jazz musicians ever, usually are right, but i dont think their best albums are always what gets the most attention.

so you like that stuff then?

That's really awesome. Thanks for sharing.

Yeah, definitely.

do you have a favorite?
no problem.

Thanks for the rec!

I liked the Mingus one slightly more than the others. I've been listening to Dark Magus: Live at Carnegie Hall though and it's great. Thanks for the recs.

no problem. if you like that mingus, check out the rest of that record, eric dolphy- out to lunch, sam rivers- paragon, dave holland- conference of the birds, and the great concert of charles mingus

It's cool man, I can understand how that sort of situation ruins an artist for someone. I know I've lost a ton of respect and appreciation for Double Cup by DJ Rashad because it's the only footwork album people know or they say it's the only one worth listening to.