What career did you pick and why /b? Do you regret your decision? Why...

What career did you pick and why /b? Do you regret your decision? Why? I'm going to graduate from highschool this year and I still have no idea what to do with my life.

If you don't know just fucking pick something that makes money. It is better being thirty with money and no clue, than being thirty without money and still no clue.

I need help.

I've struggled with maths my whole life, yet i'm good at programming, Unity3d for C# and Python. I'm one of the best programmers in the school.

Anyhow, i'm scared that CompSci in uni is gonna contain a lot of maths, but i'm a complete brainlet at maths, I just don't understand things as fast as others do, and this leaves me behind.

I've always found myself better at othing things like history, yet I took the steps to do CompSci and Maths in college.

What do? Does Computer science theory contain calculus, because if it does, i'm dead.

Paleontology. Deffinitely not regret it. Sure, it doesn't pay much, but I am not in for the money.

I second this. I did a lot of psychedelics and smoked a bunch of weed in high school- ended up studying music production + jazz in college. It was a ton of fun, i didn't end up graduating but stayed in the music industry. Then last year at the age of 25 I realized that I didn't want to be in the music industry based on risk vs. reward. Now im back in school studying Marketing because I know I'll be able to get to 6 figures pretty quickly

tldr; do what you know you are capable of being great at, and what will keep you afloat financially

Dutchfag here, pre master for compsci here goes through all of calculus and you keep applying it after pre master as well so yea.

STEM

femininazi HR at Tekelec now Oracle
and Red Hat
and so on and on

but i always look on the bright side.
i'm running now my private intelligence enterprise
and i raid elections worldwide and crash markets with fellow coroporate dropouts.

What do you do for work?

What?
So you're telling me, with the entry requirements of BSc CompSci is a AAB for alevels, but in alevels maths, there's only basic calculus. Should I do software engineering instead?

I was in the same situation, but decided to Comp sci anyway...the math was difficult, but it was also applicable to programming so my interest for it was better... A's in all programming subjects and average in the math subjects...there is alot of math, but you can do it! Assembly programming though...that should be your worry...

Molecular biologist here. Now unemployed with a PhD. Would not recommend.

In computer engineering at least, I've only had to do calc for some circuits stuff and probability, but otherwise it's more stuff like discrete math

go post memes so others can cheer you up

I joined military in a thinking role, it's pretty awesome and great pay. Though not American so experience may be different

Don't think of your career as a goal you have to hit but as a journey you get to discover. Try different things. Pursue the things that appeal to you and that you are good at and that have value to society. Halt things that are the opposite. Don't be afraid to fail and repeat the process a few times.

Research. And I am working on becoming a professor to teach paleontology at a university where I studied.

Paleontology.

Currently learning Furniture Design and Cabinet Making here, it was a late choice so I'm totally ok with it. But I also like concept art/illustration/comic writing and stuff like that so I may do somes on my free time.

Computer Engineer, its awesome...

look for careers that are in demand medical field is always a good one computer science will be in demand but hard to get a job if in small town find something that will get your standard of living that you want single shoot for like 35k+ unless you want to live lavishly 50k+ single just dont marry a spouse thats a lazy fuck and wont get a job and you should be good with anything 40k+ depending on area till about your higher 20s when you want to buy a house a shit

psych but i realized my true calling was shitposting on pol so i dropped out. the only career i want is loading sjws on the train to auschwitz.

if you go for retirement in us military you can get some pretty good benefits id say dont go into the military unless you your going in for 4 years and out or retire they give great experience in your field and will pay for your bachelors as well your housing while in school just dont get caught up witha a dependapotamus will steal your money and ruin your life also cheat on you constantly with jody an time your gone longer than 18hours hell even less if she is really bad

I joined the military, I get to shoot people and get paid for it. There is a lot of hard work that goes with it though. Don't regret it

spend time understanding how the work force really works...I did for 2 years...lousy F... jobs...shit pay...then go to college..get a 4 yr degree...which I did...found better pay and could move from job to job without starting at the bottom again...went into retail management for over 25 years..was a good job...after 2 years of the work force before college...gave me a reason to go to school and study.....hope this helps...don't worry about college and picking a major..usually first 2 years are spent taking required courses..worth it though..if your serious about making a living with good wages!

multimedia, i wanted to become like a graphic designer or something, learn photoshop but kind of learned that people need experiance to get into it. i kind of want to learn more about computers but kind of old.

Studied construction work and had a side job as field engineer (boiler, steam and piping) after my studie house building and construction had no job so i started bachelor mechanical engineering (continued the side job). Finished and got a job as engineering prep at a stainless turning and milling company for food industry for a shit paycheck but still made nice money because of overtime. Quit my job after 2 years found a product engineering job at a medical company, made crazy pay grade jumps last 3 years, making €60k a year, lots of vacation days, profit share bonus. Love the job, nice co workers.

>Loved medicine and had a nack for it in high school.
>Fucking hated the general population, and dealing with uneducated people and fatties.
>Enrolled in a Clinical Laboratory Science program at a state university.
>In my second year and couldn't be more satisfied.

I process blood and urine, and I get to make the decisions and tell doctors their wrong. So basically, I'm pretty sure I'm in the right field of work.

Engineering

Good but I hated working for a big corp, went to research instead

It's fun. Good guys and smart people, nothing really more you could need.

Pay is alright, guaranteed ~80k/year

How long you been in bro? going for retirement or getting out first chance?

Electro-technical officer on a merchant vessel. Couldn't choose better.

Chemical Engineer. I'm good at math, it's challenging, and pays well. I'll retire at 48 unless Drump ruins the economy.

I'm an English teacher and I get to tell CLS they're* wrong

Why do you hate working for a big corp?

Truck driver. Don't do it unless you want to never see home again. Pay is shitty compared to the amount of hours you have to put in your career, but it gets pretty good after a few years experience. Owner-Operators can make over six figures but you have to meticulous about everything.

Do you know what punctuation means ?

construction apprenticeship shit but I am only doing part time, like whenever a job comes up. I was doing full time, but I have a tumor and the work puts a lot of pressure on it, causes a lot of pain. I like working with my hands, but I don't like the pain it causes me. Also my boss is always late, I don't get paid overtime. I am looking for something else currently, haven't landed a job since december but I have one coming up this weekend so I will make a couple hundred hopefully. I did some forestry last summer which wasn't bad and did not cause me a lot of pain so I might try to get something like that this spring/summer.

It appears that I left a few words out of that sentence it was supposed to read: "tell doctors their ordered tests were wrong" and also "with the new S.O.E. you're job is about to become fucking meaningless."

Electrical engineering, not bad
I went for an engineering mostly because of the future job opportunities, and electrical engineering is one of the most employable degrees
Im enjoying it so far, although Im losing motivation given this is my last year and almost every subject I have is about ethics/sustainability and non technical bullshit which makes me die of boredom in class
However, my dream studies wouldve been architecture

Archeologist 8 years of studies in hightschol and it's pays 1.6k $ per month. But it's a pretty interessing job.

Only when graded

Anyone consultor/working on a consultancy? I want to join one eventually but Ive heard they treat you as a fucking slave, with long work hours and so little vacation

Math can be hard, but it's possible to grind it out. If you are good at programming, even if it takes longer than avarage to get your degree, it'll prolly be worth it.

Granted the place might have just been shitty but:

>mostly design/drafting work
>big boss on other side of the country tells you what to do for that business quarter
>you're helping this company make MILLIONS and you get 1/100 of it as a reward
>working as intern at first for $20 an hour, 40 hours a week
>get hired full time next year
>salary increase, but hours a week almost double
>can't go home until job is finished

Yeah. I could go on. Just not for me.

This is generally true, depending on the field. Pay is usually better and more of your COL is included in your work, accenting the pay.

Most folks burn out or become senior consultants which basically equates to determining your own pay and work schedule.

>I know I'll be able to get to 6 figures pretty quickly
millennials crack me the FUCK UP!

>Marketing
>6 figures
>quickly
no

Don't be a pussy. Join the military.

Serve your country you fuckin parasite and then go to college for free and fuck bitches.

I hate it when people mistake paleontologists with archeologists. My family constantly annoys me with articles about some ancient civilizations. Does the same happen to except reverse??

This

I studied engineering, and Im about to start postgraduate studies
Is it true that engineers that get in consultancies tend to be rejected by other companies because of them being burned out and willing to flee from there? I am legitimately scared I join one and lock myself for the future, given that I hate with my whole the fact of being stagnated in a job for years

I'm about to get my insurance license. Commission is shit I guess. I don't know much about the pay scale or whatevs.

Any anons in insurance?

planning on doing a PhD in theoretical computer science to become researcher

if i stay in my country (france) i'll have a job but with the minimum wage, so i'm planning on moving in scotland or usa

I've never heard of that. I have a couple friends who went both ways: started in either production or consulting and swapped later.

ymmv of course, and I'm sure it's industry-dependent, but in chemical engineering, consultants bring a certain skillset to a plant (usually as project managers or skill-specific engineering) that can be valuable.

Point is, I'd consider hiring a former consultant, but yeah you better be prepared to explain why you're changing jobs kinda quick if it comes to that.

Wasn't a mistake i know the diffrence.

Airline pilot. Always loved planes since I was a kid and stuck with it. Graduated college with straight As and did 2 years of training, cost me 130k GBP in total. But I'm now 22 and on 60k p/a with a lot of growth potential and its an awesome job

Try a game development course. Some of them don't use a math wall to keep people out, and all the math you'll need will be taught in conjunction with coding.

No I meant it that people mistake our jobs and asked if it happens to you as well, but in reverse?? Though I forgot to write "you".

Did Computer Studies/IT
Worked in the Game's industry for 20-odd years as a designer.
Now teach game design at University....

it's ok

No it was never happend to me ! Peraps 'cause this job is well-know in France

How do I motivate myself to study harder?

you study hard you get money you get coke and bitches
the math is simple

Out of college now- trying to become a firefighter b/c best job schedule in the world and I can't stand desk jobs.

I'd really recommend getting some sort of programming degree if you have the aptitude for it though, there are lots of jobs in that field.
Definitely go for something with a lot of growth, as right now I'm competing with literally hundreds of other people for only one or two job openings.

Hell yeah

In Czech republic archeology is also well known. But palentology isn't, even though we have it good here regarding geology as a whole. Just the public knows almost nothing about the subject, even though both of them and other geology subjects are not represented enough in schools. Really makes me wonder.

Marine Technology, so much money in the trades and i get paid to fly around the country to work on boats, shits so cash.

Graduated two years ago and still don't know really what to do.
At first I stated studying Industrial engineering at uni but that was too hard at first so I switched to economics. engineering seems to offer better and more interesting jobs but economics is easier.

I remember when I was younger I had so many concrete ideas of what to become and now I just seem to be one of many. Does anyone else feel that way?

I know this, but I still can't force myself to study. How do I change?

which airline if i may ask?

I do large-scale commercial real estate valuation, head of valuation for 3 countries at the biggest firm in the world , do cashlows for like shopping malls and shit, its bad, a fucking factory with ever increasing bs demands and dropping prices, cant earn shit and idiots all around, no one appreciates your job and there is no real potential to earn big or develop a career, you are basically the janitor of the financial world fuck that

you'r right, i've observed that all job who need a lot of year of studies and don't bring many money is not portrayed enouth ofc we can think about it.

>get tuition free at good college cause dad's a prof
>fuck around
>get engaged
>get sick of school so decide to go for "interesting" major I can finish in 4th year
>Philosophag

I chose literally no career and could have gotten a useful degree. Fuck my 21 year old self. Only full time jobs I've ever had were in goddamn call centers for the last 12 years.

JUST

Project yourself to the future, try to think about what do you want to become, and dont be a fool and try success recipes because hard work DOES payoff in most of the cases
A small tip: set smaller goals and change your mindset, once you reach those start getting bigger ones, focusing more on the task that on time spent and eventually youll get yourself a studying habit
Keep in mind most of the studying is attitude and some people have it easier to study certain things that others
As someone once said: "Free your mind and your ass will follow"

If I knew what I knew 10 years ago I would've grind my teeth a lil bit and learned programming C+ and went with that. No problem finding starting jobs and if you are developing your skills further you are granted to have loads of cash at the end of the day.

Amplify it by lack of any substantial basics of geology in primary and high schools, despite our rich mining history. Well, at least there is not much competition in the field and plenty of stuff to research. But still, how do people know about archelogy that much here??

studied econ, now i make lattes.

I'd say it was worth it.

never get student loans kids, bad idea. the odds of you actually being able to pay them back, after you graduate, whilst having to live (rent,food,etc..) is nearly impossible today unless you make like $50+ an hour...

>tfw you don't have any student loans, because you don't have to pay almost anything to your Uni

Just live in a country where it's not that expensive to have student loans (and where the school itself is free)

You mean :" how people know archeologis exist ?"
Well, probably thanks to Indiana Jones but when the come to the university for studies, they realize that is very diffrent.

Knowing how to program and being good at programming is a valuable skill whether you get a Comp Sci degree or not. I started down the Comp Sci route but due to financial and family issues had to drop out of school. I landed in IT doing help desk and 4 years later I've just started a backend dev job in one of the top 10 tech companies in the world. I’ve found there is nothing more important than your reputation and skill set. If you can do the job formal education matters less. Give Comp Sci a shot to improve your knowledge, work on a good portfolio and you’ll be fine.

Go to college for any engineering besides civil and you'll be fine

>industrial
any engineering that requires quantum sciences or differential equations should be good

How would you like:
* low pay
* more overtime than actual work hours
* people yelling at you
* develop an appreciation for whiskey
* have no social life
* zero appreciation from colleagues
* being micro managed to insanity
* need to do certification exams every two years

Become a sysadmin today.

>computer engineering
Because when I started out programming I felt like I was suddenly given a tool to create things in a whole new way. I've always been playing loads of video and pc games, and I find their intricacies interesting. Eventually, I want to work on computer graphics and physics, both for games and more important simulations. I'm too depressed and broken down at the moment to finish my studies, but I've just got a job at a software security company.
Only thing I regret is not starting out earlier. The money is sweet as fuck, once I get my first paycheck that is.

>will get back and finish uni in a year or two though
>starting pay after graduating is about 30 000 - 39 000 SEK

Career: Law.
Regret: Don't know yet. I have student loans to pay off and failed the bar exam. I will have to re-take it this month. I don't think there is anyway the payoff is worth the stress and the risk. You have many other choices if you just want to make money, but law is great if you want to go into politics or otherwise want to have some impact in the world.

>school is free
>still have student loans because living expenses
>also receive free money from government for studying
>interest rate on the loans is

Im a biology teacher in NYC. Been doing it for 8 years. I make 88k. I just got a B.S in Biology from a state school.

psychologist and psychotherapist. Studied long and hard, at universities and post-academic institutes. Very expensive education, and still very expensive to gather enough study credits to maintain my 6 professional registrations. Pay is definitely well above average, but I'll never be rich. Also, took me a long time to get where I am now, the work is difficult and stressful, and responsibilities are huge.
given the chance I would make exactly the same choices though, except for the two children I have. seriously, don't have kids. take my advice.

no need, instead, just be a worthless fuck and waste away your pathetic life uneducated working a shit job and being looked down upon until you die and won't be remembered by anyone. have fun!

Picked electronics. I regret it because all those jobs have been shipped overseas now. I should have done programming instead.

easyjet

I went into biomedical engineering and work for Pfizer. Pretty boring job, pretty much just doing stats and analyzing chemical reactions. Pays pretty well though for a tenured position.

Industrial (Electrical) Engineer.

Was originally a software developer, but the company I worked for moved me into Industrial Controls.

Then moved into electrical engineering from there.

24 @ 66k annually.

Not very happy however.

Teacher.

>degree was piss easy, university life was great
>basically my own boss. I alone decide what exactly I teach and how I do it
>day is split up in small units of work with breaks in between so time flies
>no staring at a screen for 8 hours
>kids are great, school life is fun
>I spend about ~25x45minutes in school per week, the rest of my work is done in my cozy homeoffice wearing sweatpants
>holidays. need I say more?
>when I have kids, I will always be able to spend time with them
>lifelong employment, I literally cannot be fired unless I really fuck up
>salary is top tier here in Germany
>passing on your knowledge about your subject and life in general to kids is great

Living the dream. Granted, the job can be hell if you are not made for it or if you're working in a shit school in a big city.

High school English teacher.

Fucking love it. Pay is meh, but the vacation time is unfucking real, benefits are great, and I genuinely love my job. I basically screw around all day. Today I showed my students a video on feral children who have been raised by dogs and shit. Was hysterical. They loved it.

Welderfag/fabricatorfag here. I make 70-80k a year on a high school diploma and a few welding certs. Company covers travel expenses for projects across North America and pays per diem to boot. I don't get to see the wife and kids as much as I'd like but it's a great gig.

Moral is, you don't need a college degree to get a great job. It certainly can help though. Maybe look to the trades if all else fails.

hey there fellow teacher

What's good teacherbro

You're the reason our educational system is shit.