Box-Office Analysis: Why the 'Ghostbusters' Reboot May Haunt Sony

hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-analysis-why-ghostbusters-911836

>Sony executives were in full spin mode as they declared Paul Feig's all-female Ghostbusters reboot a triumph
>"We are ecstatic with this opening. We have successfully restarted an important brand," ((Josh Greenstein)), president of worldwide marketing and distribution
>But box-office analysts and rival studios are skeptical that Sony has indeed relaunched the storied franchise
>The big-budget franchise comedy opened to an estimated $46 million in North America, a problematic start for a movie with a net production budget of $144 million
>Feig's previous female-skewing comedies were extraordinarily successful but they cost a fraction of what Ghostbusters did and they were stand-alone offerings, not a franchise comedy designed to revive a 30 year-old marquee film series
>When factoring in marketing costs the price for promoting a summer tentpole globally can be upwards of $150 million, Ghostbusters may need earn $375 million-$400 million worldwide to break even
>it needs to do sizable business overseas, since it could top out in the $130 million
>Sony insiders counter that the break-even number is $300 million
>China is not allowing Ghostbusters into the country.
>"The more I ponder it, the worse this scenario plays out. Curiosity played a big factor in the $46 million debut and, as such, I doubt it will hold like a typical Feig comedy. In fact, I think it's going to drop big time - next week," says box-office analyst Jeff Bock.
>"I know Sony is crowing about it being a great opening for a comedy, but the entire Ghostbusters legacy is what's at stake here, and it's not looking good. This was supposed to be a blockbuster"
>"Sony definitively did not launch a franchise, and seemingly they might be the only ones that don't know it"
>"If foreign grosses don't pick up the slack, this will go down as another big disappointment for Sony, who based their entire summer on this brand" says Bock.

>who based their entire summer on this brand

thank you chinese masters

problematic

how is sony behind this shit, i don't understand the japs at all they should be pushing anime movies on us or some shit

>Josh Greenstein

SHUT IT DOWN

I fucking wish. Instead we get shitty spoodermung shit and feminazi propaganda.

The sad thing for them is that it would probably be more profitable for them to sell anime movies then the movies the're selling right now

they just misunderstand american culture like a foreigner would for any country

they could easily attempt cultural assimilation and stray audiences away from watching shit like Adam Sandler's Water Slide and Feminism Ghostbusters

Sony has the wonderful ability to spout shit on a regular basis for years and still be around to spout more. It's truly a model company.

This whole Ghostbusters thing is GaymerGate tier at this point

Here's your first (You) of the thread, enjoy

doesnt matter whatever

Seriously, how come the Jap decision hasn't slapped them yet? Why do Pascal and Rothman still have jobs?

>"The more I ponder it

Amy Pascal doesn't work at Sony anymore.

>Sony did not launch a franchise...they might be the only ones that don't know it
lmao people at Sony are fucking lost when it comes to the movie business. How the fuck are they so out of touch with moviegoers. No actually how are they so out of touch with reality?

>actively shit on the core fanbase calling manchildren and misogynist
>they don't turn out to watch the movie
>think this shit is going to make money with feminist crowd
Sony is legit retarded

Quick. Build a diverse group for a new blockbuster team that would blow the current cast out of the water.

I'm not sure how wel they'd work together but they'd have more chemistry than the current line up

>actively shit on the core fanbase calling manchildren and misogynist
>implying the general publics knows or cares about that shit

most people just noticed that it was obviously some unfunny movie with unfunny womyn

Ghostbuster team

No team would work if you have shit writers that rely on crappy improve to sell the movie

Holy shit. I'd watch this.

I can already imagine Kaitlin Olson being covered in slime and dry retching like she does on always sunny so fucking gross

>based their entire summer on girlbusters

Sony pictures might be run by legit morons.

Why are you faggots so obsessed with this shitty movie?

The more news I read the more conviced I'am that there is someone at sony with a severe mental condition.
They had something secure, a brand like ghostbusters sells itself for fucks sake, and they did this shit.
They just needed to put someone like del taco or reimi in charge and they could have been wipping their asses with money right now.
And in top of that they antagonize the potentially lucrative core fanbase.
Fuck is not hard to sell shit to nerds, just look at marvel.
You actually need a special talent to fuck this hard.

For the same reason you are obsessed with asking why people are obsessed in every thread.

I would unironically watch Kim Joeng Un, Starlord, Dee and Old Spice man bust ghosts.

I would wonder what role Terrence would play.

I'd like him to play maybe a football coach, so he gets the team all fired up etc

Because we're autistic losers who are lied to and trolled into believing lies, hence perpetuating and endless cycle of shit posting?

I could imagine him going solo against ghosts and just screaming at the top of his lungs using a gun 4x heavier than the others and his sleeves popping off

Where is she now?

Spider-man worked once so they keep trying to reapply the formula of popular franchise plus special effects plus big actors. They don't know why it hasn't worked again in 15 years.

Underage goobergaters fighting for social justice they like

Is this going to end up like that film Jaden Smith starred in, After Earth?

reverse SJWs

So it's time to sell my sony shares or should I wait their VR helmet?

Sony would have to have this movie eat into their profits from their last three successes to even break even. This is sad. Ghostbusters getting a sequel would have to be a fucking miracle.

Kek

Far as I can tell this was a combination of traded favours to give people work and an experiment to see if they could push a female-led summer blockbuster. The result is a failed project, somewhat like Korra, and is going to make executives very hesitant to try anything similar again for the next decade at least. Any board room meeting discussing more than one female lead will be punctuated with "remember ghostbusters?".

>experiment to see if they could push a female-led summer blockbuster
this is bullshit. Female leads have succeeded in the past just fine. This was a failure of everything. Had nothing to do with their god damned gender.

Can you fucking imagine some old Chinese censor dudes, sitting there while a young temp brings them a preview of the film?
>sony logo
>fucking Japanese, they raped my grandma and murdered my uncle
>women dressed as workers, ok, that's a good message
>they are catching ghosts?
>why is the black lady screaming?
>constant fart jokes, and fat lady is falling - is American society really this decadent they find it funny?
>why this scientist guy is portrayed as baddie - do Americans hate science now?
>what the fuck is happening
>they defeat the logo of the movie by shooting it in the dick
>committee chairman: dear colleagues, I think voting here is not necessary...
>everyone nods