This might be more of a /tg/ question, but fuck it. I only go here and to hentai boards

This might be more of a /tg/ question, but fuck it. I only go here and to hentai boards.
About to play DnD tomorrow for the 1st time with some IRL friends. I know almost nothing about the game. What should I need to know before cementing my virginity Sup Forums?

The fuck do I need for some help? Post more of this shit?
*Sigh* fine. Self-bump it is

Pick an easy class like the fighter to start. It will keep the rules simple.

Work with the group and be a bit on the quiet side until you feel comfortable, they will be used to and keep around new players who are uncomfortable and quiet but will hate the new player who goes in charging and mouthing off to the poor sap who is dming the game.

Remember it is just a game where everyone is trying to have fun instead of getting worried about the rules or whatever. There is generally someone else there who has memorized how everything works and most groups are understanding of a new player.

Any specific questions?

First off, FREAKY CHICKS LOVE RPGS. You will get pussy with this game. Just go to Dragoncon.

Second, don't take it seriously. More advice to follow.

Alright, continuing.

If your group is playing 5th Edition (the current version of the D&D rules) pretty much everything is playable. Pick a character concept that you think you'd have fun with.

Higher rolls are better. That's about all you need to know to start actually playing.

Don't worry about specific modifiers and junk. If you're fighting, think "okay what would I ACTUALLY do in this situation if I was this guy" and see what the DM can do.

Yet more advice to follow.

My number 1 piece of advice to newbies
>The DM is not your enemy. He's just a really shitty friend.

Alright, further stuff to consider.

If your group is playing 4th Edition... uggggh... sorry, dude. It's easy to play, but you're basically playing WoW on tabletop. It LITERALLY won't matter which class you play, they'll all feel the same in the end, so just pick something with flavor you like.

If your group is playing 3rd Edition/3.5, then - yeah, stick with a fighter or rogue. Or a Barbarian! Spell jockeys are a LOT more powerful late-game, but keeping track of spells/etc is kind of a bitch.

If your group is playing 2nd Edition or earlier... buckle up, grab a beer, and grin, because IT'S GONNA GET WEIRD.

Remember that your character is new to adventuring, most likely. Less Aragorn, more Sam and Pippin. Less Lord Killfist, more Bob the Torch Bearer. You gotta EARN your legend. Dare to be badass.

If your DM drops a plot bunny in your lap, pay attention to it.

Don't be afraid to think outside the box. Use what resources you have, even if it's stuff like goats. Yes, I have won encounters with goats before. Yes, it was ridiculous.

Lastly, don't try to pick fights with other party members. You're all in this together. BICKERING is fine, though.

If you're a healer you'l hate your life if your friends are dicks.

Don't meta-game, it's the most annoying thing.

For example, if another player goes into a room, finds loot and decides not to tell your character about it, you DO NOT know about that loot, especially if they pass a bluff check.

>If you wanna play an elf
Don't be an arrogant douchebag. That trope's been done to death. Elves are damn near immortal, but they're also squirrely and weird.

>If you wanna play a dwarf
There is no bad way to play a dwarf. Be awesome, drink heavily (or be the rare dwarf that prefers caffeine), snark, brag, and KNOW NO FEAR. If you can pull a good Scotch or German accent, even better.

>If you wanna play a halfling
In most D&D settings, halflings are nomads and gypsies. Remember that you're a disreputable git, but you're a FRIENDLY disreputable git. Probably. Most of the time.

>If you wanna play a half-elf
Play an elf instead, unless you're playing up the whole 'I have parental issues' angle.

>If you wanna play a half-orc
Don't play yourself as an idiot. Been done to death. Figure out a good origin that doesn't involve rape.

>If you wanna play a gnome
...Be prepared to get WEIRD. Gnomes are typically mad scientist-types. If you have a love of terrible puns, this is right up your alley.

>If you wanna be a human
Then by all means. You'll be playing the straight man for at least one party member.

So I stepped away for a minute, Idk if any of you are still here. If so, thanks for the pointers.
Have a guy that's throwing a character together. How hard is a rogue to use? This was the one most open to use (plus the closest thing to what I use in vidya, so I was down)
Think it's 5th. No beer, but I guess it's a good start for a noob like me.
He just kinda is in general /s
Any thoughts on teiflings? Just wondering because they're new to me.

Nigga play a halfling rogue with a rapper name.

I find the easiest class to play in rogue. All you do is sneak, attakc, sneak again. Rinse amd repeat.

Black robes are plot armor

Don't hit on members of your player group. If it happens, awesome, but leave relationship shit outside the table. TRUST ME ON THIS. Conventions are an exception, like the aforementioned Dragoncon.

Read Goblins. It's a webcomic about a group of gobbos that decide to become adventurers. Good character fuel, and you'll find some guys in there that are shining examples of how not to play D&D. They are SCREAMINGLY OBVIOUS.

Don't watch the first D&D movie. It's awful. The second is good if you watch it WITH the MST3K-style commentary track, which is three canon adventurers from the books snarking about the movie and what they'd have done.

Buy a set of dice. They don't have to be expensive ones, but... well, you'll see in time.

Don't give your character a groan inducing name unless they have a not-pun nickname.

more of this series?

and play Dwarf fighter. spend starting cash on armor, shield, axe, and food.

Stand where they tell you, attack wahtever's in front of you, and wait for further instructions. You'll be fine.

Also, dwarven females also have beards.

What's the DM's name?

Nigga, I'm white tho, And I'm not becoming a nigger, even in fantasy land
There all dudes, and I don't go that way (yet, at least). Think they have dice, but I'll keep tabs on some if I get more into it

The DM could punish you for playing a tiefling. Guys with horns and/or hooves have issues making public appearances. Another issue with powerful races is that they gain levels slowly to compensate for the attributes and powers they are given.

Tieflings have a goddamn chip on their shoulders, pun intended. They're forever marked as demonspawn because their ancestors made a shitty deal. So either they embrace being evil, they go overboard with trying to prove they aren't, or they shrug, go "fuck it, think what you will" and ignore morality entirely. Just remember that if you're a tiefling, NPCs will distrust you on sight. Something to consider.

Funny thing, in a previous campaign of mine you were considered to be "speaking Halfling" if you dropped into the worst ghetto rapper impression imaginable.

They aren't any more powerful than the other races in 5e, actually. They're a PHB race.

Think it's the only one I have. Don't have much trap stuff, sorry. Artist is Wokada.
Kallum

>recommending rogue
Man, everything you said sounded so good up until this point

Depends on the setting, nigga.

Gonna be honest, the bad stigma of teiflings (did a quick read on Wikipedia) in the world is one of the reasons I'm interested in being one. If DMs are faggots to people who pick them though, then I might wait a while before making one as a character

There are a hundred different ways to play rogues, from skill monkey to fencer to dude that's okay at most things but REALLY AWESOME at this one profession. If you don't wanna be a beatstick, it's the best option for a newbie.

Depends on the DM and the setting. I'd talk to your guy for a while, get a read on how bad it'd be in the campaign he's running.

Alternately, you can always play a tiefling paladin. You might get a little shit, but being a fucking HOLY KNIGHT tends to offset the demony horns.

settings without that are lame. dragonlance, for example, lacks it, and Dl was great for the great war, but all the other stuff just trended back to the generic, like retconning the Irda out.

Guisarme, Bohemian Earspoon, Halberd, Naginata, Glaive, Glaive-Guisarme, Glaive-Guisarme-Glaive, and Lucern Hammer all work almost the same damn way - pokey thing on a stick. The Lucern Hammer is a very fine-tipped hammer on a stick.

Rogue can be a lot of fun depending on your group. If you have a party that can set up flanking maneuvers for you and distract targets it can be a blast. If they are asshats who scatter and do not work together... well... rogues are squishy.

Learn how sneak attack works and try to get behind people to stab them.

Never steal from your party. Never steal from the town guard. Bring rope, know how to sneak, lock pick, and climb. People expect these things out of rogues.