THE BLACK AND GREEN SCARECROW IS SADDER THAN MEEE

I DONT KNOW WHY BUT I CALL HIM GERALD

WOULDN'T YOU MISS ME

WOULDN'T YOU MISS ME AT AAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLL

Man nick mason used to play great air percussion

THERE'S A KIND OF STINK ABOUT BLUE VELVET TROUSERS

SYD AAABBBAAAREETTT
WASSSAA HAAAAACK

What a genius, so sad we lost such a poetic mind.

OH MOTHER TELL ME MORE

man beyond every time, true antenna of the world of music transmiting truth of the universe

/sydgeneral/?

IN MY PAISLEY SHIRT I LOOK A JERK
AND MY TURQUOISE WAISTCOAT IS QUITE OUT OF SIGHT
BUT OH NO MY HAIRCUT LOOKS SO BAD

JUPITER AND SATURN

UUUUUUUUUUUUUuuuUUuuUUU

NEPTUN TITAN STARS ARE FRIGHTNING

BABUM TSCH TSCH
BABUM TSCH TSCH

>2017
>still listening to white artists

Damn.

>Syd Barret
>White

VEGETABLE MAN WHERE AAAAAAARE YOOOOOOOU

JENNIFER GENTLE YOU'RE A WITCH

Lets settle this:
Which is more depressing, Jugband Blues or Dark Globe?
My vote goes for the first, although it has that "fuck you roger and the rest" feel to it

I'd say Dark Globe solely based on the way he sings "Wouldn't you miss me at all?"
2bh tho when i think about it jugband blues is probably equally as sad

Late Night

I KNEW A GIRL AND I LIKE HER STILL
SHE SAID SHE KNEW SHE WOULD TRUST ME
AND I HER WILL

SCREAMING THROUGH THE STARLIT SKY
TRAVELING BY TELEPHONE

true, and the fact that it's such a gr8 song completely ruined by his former bandmates "production" makes it even sadder
but it's a comfy track, Dark Globe is just devastating

Got a flip-top pack of cigarettes in her pocket
Feeling good at the top
Shopping in sharp shoes

THOUGHT YOU MIGHT LIKE TO KNOW
I'm the lorry driver man

Hi Scriminamp.

SCREAM THY LAST SCREAM OLD WOMAN WITH A CASKET

Guys, it's okay. You can stop pretending that Barrett-era Pink Floyd is better.

name one post-Barrett Floyd song that came even close to Astronomy Domine

I can make bombs and at best check there are no fatalities

echoess

predictable, Maggot brain tier song. not saying it is bad, but unlike astronomy Domine, it is largely derivative of other bands and their own past work.

I can name several that are better:
Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun
Fearless
Echoes
Breathe
Time
Money
Us and Them
Any Colour You Like
Brain Damage
Eclipse
Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Parts 1-5)
Welcome to the Machine
Have a Cigar
Wish You Were
Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Parts 6-9)
Dogs
Pigs
Sheep
Another Brick in the Wall pt. 1
Another Brick in the Wall pt. 2
Mother
Hey You
Comfortably Numb

I don't think Astronomy Domine's a bad song, in fact it would be my favourite of the Barret-era. But these songs are miles better in my opinion.

What other bands does Echoes derive from?

this tbqh. the "barrett floyd was best" meme is dumb

these are all just pop songs. very great, original, pop songs, but there is an obvious lack of artistic intent when compared to the stuff Syd was making.
I see where you are coming from if you are not into the more experimental, psychological stuff Barrett made, I just think that his music has more artistic value.
Funkadelic-Maggot Brain comes to mind, but more importantly they are just recycling the same type of music they had been doing already. Just eating their own vomit so to speak.

Hate to break it to you but, going by your criteria, practically every song 'derives' from other artists, including Astronomy Domine.

Learn your definitions. Barely any of the songs listed could be considered pop. You're trying to tell me that songs like Dogs and Echoes are pop?

How is there a lack of 'artistic intent'? Is it not obscure enough for you to deem it artistic?

Every best song by Pink Floud is worse than Radiohrads worst song.

yeah obviously. Some artists, you must notice, have a more distinct personal style than others. Every artist is influenced by other stuff, but it is like a spectrum in that some borrow way more than others. If your music sounds almost exactly like that of another artist, it is probably safe to say that you stole it. if it sounds a lot like the music of another artist, it just means you are unoriginal.
You can tell that Syd's goal was to create music, while after he left, a lot of their goal was to make money which is obvious by how much they shifted to easy listening stuff.

I think he's trying to say that the more abstract something is the more artsy it is. I think.

Sorry, I wasnt aware that the God off all music was in our midst. Hate to break it to you, but music is subjective.

>I think he's trying to say that the more abstract something is the more artsy it is. I think.
I think that if your goal is to create art rather than sell music, your music might not be as accessible. I don't think level of abstractness determines how good it is at all.

woo woo

doy doy

this

Name one band that Pink Floyd sounds almost the exact same as.

I never said they sounded almost the exact same as anyone. I just said that their stuff was not as original after syd left. Still pretty original I'd say though.

David Bowie once said that after Barrett left, there was no more Pink Floyd for him. I"m going to have to go with Bowie on this one. Post-Barrett Floyd is soulessly catchy at best and mindnumbingly boring at worst. Uninventive and uninspired. It's a shame that Syd killed his brain, I always wonder what he would have accomplished in the 70s/80s.

Echoes is literally nothing like maggot brain
Maggot Brain is 4 chords looped with hendrix guitar over it, echoes is a multi-part song

You all are only contesting my reasons for liking Syd Barrett's music while you haven't even provided any reasons why you think Waters and Gilmore's stuff was better. It is subjective obviously, but it would make this more interesting.

So you're saying that, just because post-Barrett era Pink Floyd was less abstract, that the members were only looking to make money? If this was the case, why would they make songs like Dogs and Echoes, which are entirely unappealing to the general public due to their length? The band became more successful after Barrett left but I don't think they lost any of their artistic value because of this.

roger barrett was just a normal guy who didn't feel like making music anymore
the "killed his brain" "crazy diamond" myth was just fabricated to give pink floyd some mystique and depth because in reality THEY HAVE NONE

They were not only looking to make money. To be honest, they could not have even come close to the music Barrett was making no matter what they did simply because they were less talented than him. They are unnappealing to people who listen to top 40 shit, but not to people who are moderately into music.

These types of argument are completely subjective and we are each only trying to validate what we each enjoy. There is nothing either person could say that would make the other say, "you are right, your favorite music IS better". You could argue that Nicki Minaj was as good as beethoven and still not objectively lose the argument.

how does a completely normal guy spiral into this state? I agree that the myths are exaggerated and that the PF members are somewhat hypocritical, but he showed obvious bizarre behavior, whether it was due to his lsd use or not

The meds they gave him for his mental illness made him worse

I've heard that people who already have a predisposition towards mental disorder can take lsd just a few times and boom, its over. Happened to Daniel Johnston too.

I prefer Waters' songwriting because I find it to be more easily relatable. Songs like
Time, Wish You Were Here and Brain Damage resonate with me on a personal level and I'm sure that's the case with a lot of other people as well which I find to be a positive when it comes to songwriting. In terms of composition, post-Barret era Pink Floyd might be less obscure but I find the more normalized melodies to be miles better than the at times dissonant Piper at the Gates of Dawn. As for musicianship, there is no competition in my eyes. Gilmour has produced some of the most iconic guitar solos in music. His sound may not be 100% original and his raw skill may not be the absolute best in the business, but his sound is instantly recognisable and his use of vibrato and bending is absolutely unmatched in my opinion. The effort he puts into every note is what makes his guitar playing and it is more emotionally impactful for me, than most lyrics. Richard Wright also really came into his own after Barrett left, contributing hugely on Wish You Were Here in particular.

Well we can both agree on that anyway.

only if you suck this cock lmao

RIP SYD