What was it like living in new york at the time of 9/11?

what was it like living in new york at the time of 9/11?

what changes did you see to your life?

was it harder to score with chicks?

were all live programmes recorded there and theatre cancelled? for how long?

how do people adresse it now? is it a taboo subject?

britfag bored of watcing shia leboufs feed here

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4NzSxSUb0Kk
youtube.com/watch?v=X5Kq3c2EvWA
youtube.com/watch?v=j3HZG12T0p4
youtube.com/watch?v=Y0w1EhJiG0Y
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It made things a lot shittier.
At least all my classes were canceled for that day.
I was cramming for an algebra test that I was probably going to fail.

real feels m8 :(

I was only 11 when it happened, but I noticed the changes immediately. People were a little nicer to each other for a good while. As for my personal life, I remember being off from school for the rest of the week, then there being grief counselors for those kids who had family/friends among the dead. That's all I can recall for now

And of course traveling by plane changed overnight, you couldn't even say the word 'bomb' without everyone getting edgy and losing their shit

not even american, but i was 9 when it happened, i remember my mum celebrating and happy when the planes were crashing on live tv, she really hates jews and by extent americans, she's more redpilled than me

britfag here. i went in the january 2002. it was scary. took 8 hours to get through immigration. people screaming and crying outside ground zero holding up pics of their missing relatives

picked up some cool albums for a dollar in a thrift shop nearby though. profit

kek

People actually cared about others right after
We were all just "american" after that
I was 11 living upstate
Went downstate the following weekend to race dirt bikes
Blew a tire in the motor home on the way, was sleeping on the bed directly above it, thought it was like ww2 planes shooting at me. Jumped up ready to die

Wasn't in NY but in DC. Saw the pentagon hit and thought it was WW3. Things sucked. Theatres were all dark. Would get mail from the gov't like "don't use the metro this week" or "don't go downtown." Got a gov't letter once, opened it, said "Don't open any mail this week"

oooh

Salty milk and coins

new yorker here (queens) and it was a freaky, weird, confusing day. Obviously there was a lot of noise, sirens, smoke, and questions. People didn't know whether to drive on the streets or take the subways or stay at work or stay at home or what.
We had no idea what to do and how to react other than, "let's get the sumbitches that did this!!!"
I still, to this day, feel bad that I didn't volunteer to help the city clean up after the whole thing.

It was weird, though --- for a few years, buildings in lower manhattan couldn't open their windows on the 14th floor or higher because of particulate matter in the air that was dangerous to inhale. I still frequent a public building 2 blocks from the WTC and the windows above 14 were sealed then and still are unable to be opened.
Now, though, the people that still talk and care about it are older people that had/have connections to the fdny or nypd. Younger people don't care and barely even talk about it. However, everyone (and I mean everyone) looks up when they hear a plane flying low. It's really weird and almost like watching a tennis match when you see everyones' heads whipping up to see the low-flying planes/helicopters.

my dad was on that plane ; (

cool info op, i can bet its mad with planes flying over now

country Ausfag here
was last year of highschool. we mostly laughed and thought "suck shit yank cunts" to be honest cuz we were raised to hate yanks.

ok

I was only about 8 years old.
I remember being evacuated from my school and my family freaking out. I didn't really understand what was going on, but I remember playing Pokemon on my N64 and the game was pretty good.

good account that

what was it like in bars that night

where abouts?

cool game

but n64 in 2001?

poorfag

Yank here, why raised to hate us?
Other than the ten million reasons too

aussies are abhorrant

>young people don't care
more frightening than the attacks

true words

sadly true

So was mine he was the hijacker

9/11 permanently ended the "Tough" reputation NYC had (Even though that reality ended in the 90s). where everything was business, lots of crime, no-nonsense police, dirty and dark subways etc.
After 9/11, NYC was shown as resilient, accepting, and modern- and that image sticks today.

I was 4 years old living in NY at the time 9/11 happened. My entire family panicked and I didn't know what was going on. Very vague memories, but I remember a very long road trip (We were heading for another state called Rhode Island, and we settled there for many years). I remember being at a hotel for a few nights. I didn't know back then but now I know that we packed our stuff and relocated. I was separated from my cousins and many other family members who remained in NY. Lived in Rhode Island for about 16 years. I'm 20 years old now and I moved back to NY on the summer of 2016 to live with my dad (parents got separated).

So yea, 9/11 was a huge life changer for me in many ways.

cool story, why did they decide to move?

good analogy

Who are you implying should care though?

Everyone cared for a bit, and a lot of people still care, but it's not a good reason to stop living or stop caring about other things.

P.S. this is my first time "opening up" to Sup Forums. Rarely share my feelings like this. I'm not too sensitive about 9/11 though, I find many 9/11 memes to be dank asf

Probably because she (my mom) thought NY became a war zone. 9/11 actually caused my parent's to be divorced. She was worried about my dad not caring for the safety for the family.

damn what a knock on effect

I did not live there but it was pretty much s normal day. May have been 5 or 6 but I didn't really cared. I thought my dad was on one of the planes but he wasn't and he wasn't even in the state I thought he was in. Tbh I would think people who lived in NYC probably should of cared more than the rest of the country. Life after 9/11 was just an unwanted push of patriotism.

why unwanted

Are you making fun of me for answering the question? Wow, you're so cool. Yeah, it sucked to get weekly memos and know it was due to terror threats but not get details. It sucked to see all the places closed up because people couldn't go out and enjoy life. It sucked that people were killed. The day itself was terrifying. so yeah ooooh

I was 5 in 2001 and I still remember it really clearly. I only lived like 30 min from New York City and I remember being really scared. My father was in the NYPD and had to rush into work even though he was off. Both my parents were crying when they picked me up from school so I could say goodbye to my dad before he went down there. didn't see him for a week because he was helping dig through the pile.
I also got the visit the WTC August of that year just a few week before they were gone. Which I also remember pretty clearly, wish I could go there again.

Now I'm studying Fire Science/ Emergency Management so 9/11 is a fascinating topic to me. The buildings themselves were beautiful in their own titanic way, but built in a way that guaranteed their total collapse under the stresses they faced that day. Speaking of old New York City, that day ended the old mindsets of the NYPD and FDNY. Everything about them changed.

no, i thought it was interesting, must be a british way to relay that, apologies

My aunt used to take the American Airlines Flight 11 about 2 times a month. When the breaking news came on, my mother was starting to stress about her sister, tried to call her but calls kept on failing. later that day or the following day (can't remember) when flight numbers where released, my mom became supper worried and stressed out. Luckily my aunt was allready in LA. We lived in greenfield, don't recall much of the atmosphere as ilI sat infront of the tv the whole time.

fascinating , how did they change?

I am 721930559 and I agree with you about young people not caring = bad. One of my best friends is in his early 20s and when asked about it he shrugs and says, "my dad talks about it a lot but, eh." Really, though -- it's hard to make people care about things that they didn't experience first-hand. I managed a clothing store and the kids (

The biggest changes were the radios and the two of them started communicating. NYPD had helicopters in the air that day, FDNY did not. The choppers saw the buildings getting ready to collapse and radioed warnings for police officers to evacuate minutes before the first collapse. FDNY didn't get these warnings so their only warnings was the building coming down (Video related: youtube.com/watch?v=4NzSxSUb0Kk Check out the document "9/11" by the Naudet brothers, it's a great watch and really fucking heart-pounding.)

This brings up the second change: FDNY and NYPD got very good at staging their command posts away from the scene. The command posts for that day, as shown in the video, were in the lobbies of the tower.
Finally, this applies more to the FDNY, they lost a lot of people and a lot of vehicles. The people filling those shoes were taught to be a lot more cautious and the department overall adopted much better plans for if something similar happened in the future)

I have tools smarter than you.

oh haha nvm then. im too cynical i guess. lots of immature idiots here and i jumped to conclusions

brilliant read, fascinating stuff, haunting about the communication not being two way

this is also why FDNY and NYPD are the ones that are still heavily emotionally affected by 9/11; it changed their ways of doing pretty much everything.
I also hate to say it, but we're now crazily racist against any brown people that could look terrorist-y. Sure, we're not going to run them out of town like we would if we lived in Lima, Ohio -- but I challenge any dyed-in-the-wool new yorker not to have a few scardey/racist thoughts about middle easterners that they see on the street/flights.

no problems pal, enjoyed your story

wonder how the browns feel. bet they avoid new york now

I am 22. My dad worked for a bank in the south tower. He changed firms a week before 9/11. I still remember being up there vividly on the 82nd floor.

My dad is usually a pretty sober person. Keeps his emotions in check like a man. When he finally got home covered in soot, I was watching replays of the towers falling. I thought it was cool. I said something to that affect. I will never forget he then said, 'Son, all my best friends died today." He then started crying.

I grew up with a number of friends with didn't grow up with their dads. I usually a pretty apathetic person about politically incorrect jokes; but I just cant find 9/11 things funny. Too many people I know had their lives fucked by it.

yes, they do--- but at the same time a lot of them are still here. It's a weird dichotomy because it's a lot easier to live in NYC than you think if you're willing to do the jobs that browns are fine doing (taxi, cleaning, municipal) but... I have made a lot of friends online and through foreign exchange programs (I work at a local school doing exchange) and a lot of muslim-majority-country people are freaked about coming here.

But I'm not Brit, I live in the us

I cannot recommend that documentary enough it is just two French brothers attached to an FDNY company (That had been filming for a few weeks) following them around that day. They even catch the first plane's impact.

Just as bad was after the first collapse, the radios stopped working in the local area. So the firefighters in the still standing North Tower didn't get the order to evacuate either. Most of them probably had no clue what happened to the South Tower.
You can go on YouTube and find the radio transmissions from that day. About three hours of audio total but here's two highlights. It's absolutely incredible how calm they remain while doing their jobs.
youtube.com/watch?v=X5Kq3c2EvWA
youtube.com/watch?v=j3HZG12T0p4

Only two firefighters even made it up to the impact point in one of the buildings before the collapse and there was no way they were ever going to put the fires out.
youtube.com/watch?v=Y0w1EhJiG0Y

Indeed. In emergency services in NYC, and even NY state as a whole, it is still felt. Every apparatus and firehouse has some kind of tribute to those that died that day. Most police stations as well.
And you're right about the New Yorkers becoming hesitant and aggressive afterwards. But it has gotten a lot better. I think most people understand the terrorists do not speak for every Arab/Muslim, especially those living in the US.
Though Sunni Muslims in the Middle East can get fucked.