AMA. 36 year old, who lives at home with his parents. Is trying to stop drinking and getting his life together

AMA. 36 year old, who lives at home with his parents. Is trying to stop drinking and getting his life together.

Other urls found in this thread:

aa.org/pages/en_US/find-local-aa
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

What were you doing at age 31/32?

How much do you generally drink in a night?

Do you have any mental issues besides?

Working as tech support for AT&T

At my worst it depends on how much money I had at the time. If I had money, maybe a 5th of Whiskey and a 6 pack of Guinness. If I was broke a 6 pack (which I cant find anymore) and 2 24's of Steel Reserve.

Maybe depression, but not sure if I was drinking because I was depressed or the drinking caused the depression.

What is your relationship with your parents like?

What are you doing instead of drinking to keep yourself occupied?

I usually drink 9-12 full-weight beers a night, will I end up like you?

I can afford this, but I feel like fuck most of the time. Also can't tell if the drinking caused it or if the drinking started because of it. Any advice for a loner fuck?

Both good and bad. My father used to be a huge drinker himself. So when I go through my binges she reacts to more of a "fuck you, I've already gone through this" attitude.

My father, he can be chill about it, or and ass. It all depends on how he is atm. Though what I really hate is they both tend to talk at me instead of talk to me.

Though when I am not drinking its pretty good.

Thirty-six?? Nigga, it is far too late. You might as well enjoy the remainder of your days.

Wtf i drink every night and workout everyday and i have a good job drinking doesnt ruin your life just control it dont let it control you

When I am not drinking, I mainly play video games. Though sometimes I get to wrapped up into that to try and keep my mind off drinking.

Right now I am trying to get back into the things that I used to enjoy before I was drinking. Drawing, playing the guitar and working out since I have gained a lot of weight from drinking and doing nothing.

How's the brain damage tho?

Yeah man, taper yourself off. Don't quit cold turkey. You can die from alcohol withdrawls. Try to focus on things that make you happy instead without drinking, and remove yourself from situations that will make you want to drink, at least at the start.

But yeah if you keep drinking like that everyday man, it will hurt you in the long run. You may not end up like me, you may be fine, or may be worse.

but it sounds like you are at the early stages I was before shit got bad for me. Also withdrawls from alcohol are the worst man, I hope you never feel them.

5 months sober bro checking in

I wish I could man.

Hey man, awesome for you. It didn't end up like that for me. And it trying to make sure shit gets better not worse.

Awesome man, proud of you. Just went through a 3 week withdrawl. No DT's thank god but it was horrible. Was the worst one I have had and hope it will be the last.

aa.org/pages/en_US/find-local-aa

there is hope

just cut back man
what i do is not let myself drink till about 45 mins before i normally fall asleep then will have a single strong beer. Still need some alcohol to sleep most of the time but if i stick to the 1 drink rule i feel way better daytimes generally. only hard part is the 2-3 hrs before the first drink that i used to spend drinking. other than that, has worked well. you can cut back. cut back.

Did the AA, didn't work for me. But thanks for providing the information, hopefully may help someone else out.

All you need to worry about is today brotha. Take it one day at a time, one hour at a time, and even one second at a time.

OP here,
totally agree with you, great advice

>Although heavy drinking can cause a great deal of health damage ranging from cirrhosis of the liver to pancreatitis, horror stories of alcoholic brain damage are largely a myth.

Thanks man, I appreciate the support. It's tough. I have cut back, and then started binge drinking, It's tough, but I am really commited this time.

Incorrect, Alcohol does effect your nervous system, and brain, which why during detox, people can die from seziures

Meditation has also been significantly beneficial, 1 hour of that a day keeps my mind off of the opiates as well as liquor, even if for a fleeting moment.

Favorite presidential candidate of 2016?

For me not sure about how to even start meditating. DO I sit there thinking about nothing? For me when people have told me before and check out some websites about meditating and it just seems like crap. Not saying meditation is, but the way they make it sound.

makes sense
i don't like facts that skew my worldview though

Thanks guys.

I go to a park or any local nature sight, walk for a bit and only think of my surroundings. Instead of obsessing over my addiction I fill my head with more spiritual ideas. It seemed like a load of bullshit to me as well until a few times of doing it.

I hated hillary and disliked Trump, and since I was any alchy during the voting time, I didn't vote. Though as for my political views I guess you can say I am more Libritarian.

But I just consider myself fiscally conservative and socially liberal.

NP man, hope you get through it like me man.

ok, I would rather do that than drink. I will give it a try.

I understand what you mean, but if you are a constant drinking for a long time and you go cold turkey, once you are sober (and I hope you dont feel the withdrawls) you will see how it effects your brain. Its like waking up into a different world.

OP here

Thanks for all the advice, this helped me get through the cravings I just had.

for all of ya'll going through the same thing, be strong, and you can do it, I'm in the same boat as you.

Time for some D3 now before I crash out some.