Is it a good thing or a bad thing that Stranger Things is so derivative?

Is it a good thing or a bad thing that Stranger Things is so derivative?

the word is homage

I would say a bit of a bad thing, all the best parts were when they deviated from it. Favorite scenes were of 11 in the septic tank and the Deputy's flash backs.

It is possible in literature to take tropes and ideas and recontextualise them with new deeper literary meaning and significance and cast them as new again
I don't know if anyone has yet done this with television & film

Smart frogposter

True Detective

I dont really care if something is derivative if it finds its strength elsewhere. The show has fantastic characters, mostly great acting, and I feel that it's overall very believable as far as Sci-Fi/Horror goes. It has a wonderful atmosphere too. While the story was often predictable and derivative, I appreciated that it deviated from dumb tropes and still manages to carve something extremely unique out of something very familiar.

its been his whole career

That's what David Lynch has been doing for most of his career

>tfw you'll never watch The Thing with a qt Asian girl in the 80s in a comfy town

What was unique about it? What characters were fantastic?

As long as based Idris Elba is casted they can't fuck this up.

It's familiar and comfy.

I personally think nostalgia is so overplayed but this is harmless.

Is this worth watching considering I hate child actors and I'm not American so probably won't have the nostalgia goggles?

No. It's shit.

I thought all the characters were good. Nancy was maybe a bit meh and Lucas was just kinda there, but otherwise I liked all of them. I think it's unique in how well thought out it is, in the way it tries to avoid tropes, and while it's maybe not unique, I liked how every group of characters had a different viewpoint. The way you feel watching the kids is different from how you feel watching John and Nancy, which is itself different from how you feel watching Joyce and Hopper.

I think what makes it unique the most is just the level of quality and the care that went into crafting the show.

It's meant to be derivative, but the fact that they steer away from the most overdone cliches is what makes it good.

How do I lower the quality to make it look like a vhs?

It is bad because it is not a homage, but basically a ripoff of a ET, Poltergeist and Firestarter.

I enjoyed it, but it could have been WAAAAYYY better.

homage=ripoff

> Firestarter
literally wut ?

not him because i'm not a huge faggot

but little girl with telekinesis is definitely Firestarter

I got some Twin Peaks and Half-Life vibes from it myself.

It's obviously heavily inspired by other works, but I think it has a unique enough spin on things to not be called a rip-off.

What?

Do you know what a vhs is?

I dont think you can do that.
You had one job, netflix.